AL-KO Lawn Mower Oil Change
AL-KO Highline petrol lawn mowers
Observe the enclosed installation instructions.
The device may only be operated after complete assembly.
The mower must be filled with fuel before putting it into operation.
Warning. fire hazard!
Gasoline and oil are highly flammable!
Always follow the supplied engine manufacturer’s instruction manual.
|approx. 0.6 l|
We warn you!
Never run the engine in an enclosed area. Danger of poisoning!
- Store gasoline and oil only in the containers provided for them;
- Fill and drain gasoline and oil only when the engine is cold outdoors;
- Do not fill with gasoline or oil while the engine is running;
- Do not overfill the tank (gasoline expands);
- Do not smoke while refueling;
- Do not open the filling connection when the engine is running or hot;
- If the tank or filling connection is damaged, replace it;
- Always close the tank cap securely;
- If gasoline leaks out:
– Do not start the engine,
– Avoid trying to ignite,
– Cleaning the device;
- If engine oil leaks:
– Do not start the engine,
– Collect leaked engine oil with an astringent or sponge and dispose of properly.,
– Clean your device.
– should not end up in regular waste,
– must not get into sewers, drains or onto the ground.
We recommend that you take the used oil in a closed container to a recycling center or service center.
- Unscrew the tank cap and put it in a clean place.
- Pour gasoline through the funnel.
- Close and clean the tank filler hole securely.
Filling with engine oil:
- Unscrew the oil filler cap and put it in a clean place.
- Pour oil through a funnel.
- Close the oil filler hole securely and clean it.
Cutting without a grass receiver
Mowing lawns without a grass receptacle is only permitted when the deflector flap swivel spring is operating.
The baffle plate is pressed against the mower body by the spring force. Thus, the cut grass is thrown back and down.
Mulching with the mulching kit (optional).
During mulching, the cut grass is not collected, but remains on the lawn. Mulch protects the soil and supplies it with nutrients. Best results are obtained with a regular cut of approx. 2 cm.Only young grass with soft leaf tissue decomposes quickly.
- Grass height before mulching: max. 8 cm;
- Grass height after mulching: min. 4 cm.
Adapt step speed for mulching, do not move too fast.
- AL-KO Highline petrol lawn mowers
- Maintenance and malfunctions
- All pages
Preface to the manual
Read this instruction manual before using the instrument. This will ensure its safe and smooth operation. Familiarize yourself with the controls and how to use the device before use. ?? Observe the safety instructions and warnings in this documentation and on the instrument itself. ?? Retain this operating manual and pass it on to future users.
|Meaning of signs|
Strict adherence to these warnings can prevent personal injury and / or property damage.
|Special instructions for better understanding and use.|
|Camera icon indicates illustration.|
- Preface to the manual;
- Product description;
- Safety and protective devices;
- Safety instructions;
- Electric start (option);
- Maintenance and care;
- EU Declaration of Conformity;
Only use the tool in a technically perfect condition.!
Attention! Risk of injury!
Do not disable safety and protective devices!
Attention. fire hazard!
Do not store a refueled car in buildings where there is a danger of gasoline vapors coming into contact with open flames or sparks! Keep the area around the engine, exhaust pipe, battery box and fuel tank clean. there should be no cut grass, gasoline and oil.
- Keep third parties out of the hazardous area;
- The operator or user is responsible for accidents with others and their property;
- Children or others who are not familiar with this instruction manual are prohibited from operating this device;
- Observe local regulations regarding the minimum age of the user;
- It is forbidden to work with the instrument in a state of alcoholic or drug intoxication, as well as under the influence of medications;
- Wear appropriate work clothing;
– Long pants,
– Durable and non-slip footwear,
– Hearing protection;
- When working on slopes:
– Always try to be as stable as possible.,
– Always cut across the slope, never drive the mower up or down,
-?? Do not cut grass on slopes at an angle greater than 20 °,
– Take special care when turning;
- Work only in sufficiently bright daylight or artificial light;
- Stay away from the cutting mechanism;
- Observe national regulations regarding operating times;
- Do not leave the device unattended, ready for use;
- ?? Use only a sharp cutting knife for cutting;
- Never use the device with damaged guards / grilles;
- Never use the device without fully assembled protective devices (eg: baffle plate, grass pick-up devices);
- Before each use, check the device for damage and replace damaged parts;
- Switch off the engine, wait for the device to stop and remove the spark plug plug from the socket:
– if you need to leave the device,
-?? after detecting problems,
-?? before releasing locks,
-?? before removing the blockage,
-?? after contact with foreign objects,
-?? in case of damage or unusual vibration in the device.
Inspect the mower for damage Inspect the mower for damage and, if necessary, carry out repairs and, if necessary, carry out repairs before starting and working with it again.
- Insert the spark plug plug into the socket and start the engine:
-?? after troubleshooting (see the troubleshooting table) and checking the device;
-?? after cleaning the device;
- Check the area to be cut thoroughly and thoroughly, remove all foreign objects;
- Take special care when turning the mower or pulling it towards you;
- Do not cut grass over obstacles (eg branches, tree roots);
- Remove the cut grass only after stopping the engine;
- When crossing an area that cannot be cut, turn off the engine / cutter blade;
- Never lift or carry the device while the engine is running;
- Do not consume food or drink while refilling gasoline or engine oil;
- Do not inhale gasoline vapors;
- Drive the mower at a walking pace;
- Before operating the device, check that the nuts, screws and bolts are securely seated.
The device must not be used with a partially detached, damaged cutting device or fasteners! Perform a visual inspection before each start-up.
The camera mark on the following pages is a link to the pictures.
Adjusting the cutting height.
Attention! Risk of injury!
Adjust the cutting height only after turning off the engine and stopping the cutting blade.
|Click on image to enlarge [opens in a new window]|
Axial or center adjustment:
- To unlock, push the lever to the side and hold.
- Move the lever left or right to the desired cutting height.
- The lever should lock (engage).
- Please note that the locking position for all wheels is the same.
AL-KO Lawn Mower Oil Change
Changing the oil in the lawn mower
Therefore, each auto owner calculates his acceptable service interval independently.
Do not forget to screw on the measuring tube before pumping oil! We fill in about as much as we have drained. Most modern automatic transmissions do not require oil changes. Now let’s talk about the nuances of high-quality engine oil, which should be replaced on time. We install new pipes in their place and tighten them with clamps, do not overdo it so that nothing bursts. Even novice drivers know that changing the oil in auto is an important procedure that must be performed on average every 10-15 thousand kilometers or once a year if the mileage is shorter. Then we start the engine and drive the automatic transmission selector in all positions for 10 minutes so that the ATF mixes well. That is: “semisynthetics” and “synthetics”. Unfortunately, good lubricants are quite expensive, so the price of an oil change does not always please avto owners with its availability. The automatic transmission oil must be changed exclusively in a specialized car service. If you are going to do all the work with your own hands, then first we choose an engine oil suitable for the type and brand of the engine.
To determine the optimal oil change period, proceed from the manufacturer’s recommendations, the quality of the oil used, gasoline, and, necessarily, the driving style. The pressing question of almost every motorist, who is asked from year to year, is, after all, when it is necessary to change the engine oil, how often, and is it possible to make a replacement on his own. In such automatic transmissions, there is no dipstick for checking the ATF level, and on the automatic transmission itself, as a rule, there is a plate or sticker with the inscription in the box filled with oil for the entire service life. The more often this operation is performed, the longer the avto engine will work.
Every motorist understands that it is necessary to change the oil as often as possible. Therefore, if you are not sure. do not raise the car on a jack. it is better to look for a hole or a bump! There is nothing difficult, the car will not fall if it is on the handbrake and the jack is installed on a flat hard platform. but you need to understand the responsibility! You can put wooden blocks or bricks under the wheels. so that the car does not roll. The more often this operation is performed, the longer the avto engine will run. Unfortunately, good lubricants are quite expensive, so the price of an oil change is far from always pleasing to avto owners with its availability.
If according to the reference book it is written that “mineral” (like Dexron-III) is suitable. you can also pour the next generation of ATF (Dexron-VI), that is, everything that is of a higher class. Changing the oil using artisanal methods will not improve the operation of the automatic transmission, it will be ineffective, and possibly even seriously harm your automatic gearbox. Every motorist understands that it is necessary to change the oil as often as possible. If we look from one side, then, of course, the more often, the better, but if we look from the other side of the matter, then high-quality motor oil is not a cheap pleasure, and if you change the oil every 3 months, then money will fly away very quickly, as well as changing the oil, after all, it does not take so little time. Changing the oil in the engine of different car brands is not very different and proceeds in approximately the same way. The answer to this question is ambiguous. They are filled with oil for the entire service life of the automatic transmission, which, generally speaking, should coincide with the service life of the avto. Therefore, each auto owner calculates his acceptable service interval independently. That is: pouring mineral Dexron-3 if there was semisynthetics. it is impossible.
Removing old oil
Recovering old grease is one of the most important steps in the process. There are three ways to make sure you remove a lot of old oil.
Changing the Oil in a Riding Lawn Mower
- Remove the oil plug. Depending on the type of petrol mower, you can remove the oil plug to drain the old grease. Refer to your user manual for the location of your drain plug and make sure you have the correct size socket wrench for the job. Install a wrench on the plug and remove it. When the oil is completely drained, the plug can be replaced.
- Use a special tool such as a syringe to pump out and fill the oil tank. This is very convenient when the opening of the tank is too narrow, and at the same time it is inconvenient or impossible to pour new oil from the bottle. The syringe can easily pass through the hole to pump out old waste oil.
- Slope method. If you do not have access to the oil tank, you can drain it by tilting the mower to one side. When tilting the mower, place the filler cap on the container you are using to collect used oil. Once properly positioned, remove the filler cap and allow the oil to drain completely. Using this method, you must know exactly what the fuel level is in the mower. It is also important to note where the air filter is located so as not to contaminate it with drain oil.
Preparation and setup
The location of the mower is important when preparing this machine for an oil change. Due to the potential for leakage, it is best not to do this on grass or near flower beds, as oil droplets can adversely affect plant life. Choose a hard, flat surface such as a driveway or sidewalk, and be sure to use plastic wrap to keep oil droplets and stains on this protective film.
It is much easier to replace heated oil. Of course, you can change the oil in a cold engine, but the lubricant will be more viscous only at high temperatures.
It is a good practice to run the mower for one or two minutes before changing the lubricant to warm up the engine a little. After that, you will have much less problems retrieving the old grease. It is also useful to take precautions when working with the mower after turning it on, as there will be an increased likelihood of burns on the engine, for example. Work gloves are recommended to reduce the risk of injury.
Finally, you can disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug itself and move it away to avoid accidentally starting the engine. And you also need to make sure that the pump (pump) is turned off. The last step in your preparation should also include cleaning the area around the oil fill hole to prevent foreign particles or dirt from entering the oil reservoir.
Tools and materials
You may need a set of tools:
- oil collecting container;
- clean, dry rags, napkins or towels;
- socket wrench with a corresponding socket;
- empty plastic containers (household with lids);
- machine oil;
- set of wrenches;
- pumping syringe;
How to change the oil in a lawn mower?
- Preparation and setup
- Tools and materials
- Removing old oil
- Filling the tank
Lawn maintenance starts with a well-maintained lawn mower, which means that there are certain tasks that must be performed constantly to keep the machine in top working condition. One of the most important aspects of owning a lawn mower is knowing how to change the oil.
Filling the tank
Now that the old oil has been removed, it’s time to refill the reservoir with fresh grease. Refer to your lawn mower user manual again to find out which type of oil is right for your machine and how much oil you need to fill.
Be aware that overfilling and insufficient filling of the oil reservoir can harm the mower’s performance.
Fill the oil tank. Let the oil sit for at least two minutes, then check the level with the dipstick to make sure it is filled correctly.
After the oil reservoir is filled to the proper level, you will need to reattach the spark plug wire. Do not start the mower immediately, let the machine stand for a few minutes before starting work.
How to Change Lawn Mower Oil
Next, watch the video on how to change the oil in a 4-stroke lawnmower.
4-Stroke Lawnmower Oils
- Why do you need lubricant?
- Features of the four-stroke engine
- Selection recommendations
- How often do you need to change the lubricant?
- Oil change
- What kind of oil should not be poured?
Lawn mowers have long taken their place among the necessary equipment among the owners of country and private houses, as well as employees of park management institutions. In the summer, this technique is used quite intensively. For reliable and durable operation of lawn mower engines, the quality of fuels and lubricants, in particular, oils, is of great importance. Oils for 4-stroke engines of this type of gardening machines are described in this article.
How often do you need to change the lubricant?
As noted above, the operating instructions for garden equipment with a 4-stroke engine must indicate the frequency of oil changes. But if there are no instructions, then they are guided primarily by the number of hours that the equipment has worked (engine hours). Every 50-60 hours worked, you need to change the oil in the engine.
However, in the case when the plot is small and you can process it in no more than one hour, it is unlikely that for the entire spring-summer season the lawn mower will work even half the operating hours of the norm, unless it is rented out to neighbors. Then the oil must be replaced when the equipment is preserved in the fall before the winter period.
Why do you need lubricant?
Gasoline lawn mower engines are internal combustion engines (ICEs), in which the driving force transmitted from the ICE to the working bodies (cutting knives) is generated by the energy generated in the combustion chamber of the cylinder when the fuel mixture is ignited. As a result of the ignition, the gases expand, forcing the piston to move, which is associated with the mechanism for further transfer of energy to the final organ, that is, in this case, to the lawn mower knives.
In the engine, therefore, many large and small parts are mated, which need lubrication in order, if not completely to prevent their abrasion, destruction, wear, then at least to slow down these processes, negative for the mechanism, as much as possible.
Due to the engine oil that enters the engine and covers its rubbing elements with a thin layer of oil film, the occurrence of scratches, scoring and burrs on the metal surface of parts practically does not occur on new units.
But over time, this cannot be avoided, since the development of gaps in the mates still occurs. And the better the oil, the longer the service life of the garden equipment will be. In addition, with the help of high-quality lubricants, the following positive phenomena occur:
- better cooling of the engine and its parts, which prevents overheating and thermal shock;
- engine operation is guaranteed at high loads and with a long time period of continuous grass mowing;
- the safety of internal engine parts from corrosion is ensured during seasonal equipment downtime.
It is best to use a specially designed oil for 4-stroke lawn mower engines in accordance with the ambient temperatures in which the equipment will be used. For example, specialized grease grades 10W40 and SAE30 are quite suitable for four-stroke mowers in terms of their operational parameters, which can be used at ambient temperatures in the range from 5 to 45 degrees Celsius.
These oils are recommended as the optimum lubricant given the seasonality of lawnmower use. It is unlikely that anyone would come up with the idea to “start” a lawn mower at a negative temperature outside the window.
In the absence of specialized oils, you can use other classes of oils used for cars. These can be grades SAE 15W40 and SAE 20W50, which are also used at positive temperatures, but only their threshold is 10 degrees lower than specialized ones (up to 35 degrees). And also for 90% of the available models of four-stroke lawn mowers, the oil of the SF composition will do.
The container with engine oil for a four-stroke lawn mower must be marked with the “4T” sign. Synthetic, semi-synthetic and mineral oils can be used. But most often they use semi-synthetic or mineral oil, since synthetic oil is very expensive.
And in order not to guess what oil to fill in the engine of your mower model, it is better to look at the instructions. The required type of oil and the frequency of its replacement are indicated there. It is recommended to use only the types of oils specified by the manufacturer until the expiration of the warranty repair period, in order to maintain the issued warranties. And then pick something more affordable, but, of course, not inferior in quality to branded oils. You should not save on oil quality.
Changing the lubricant in a lawn mower engine is not as difficult as changing the oil in a car. Everything is much simpler here. The algorithm of work is as follows.
- Prepare enough fresh oil for replacement. Usually, no more than 0.6 liters of oil is poured into the lubrication system of many lawn mowers.
- Start the unit and let it idle for a few minutes to warm up the oil so that it becomes more liquid. This promotes better drainage.
- Switch off the engine and place an empty container under the drain hole from the crankcase to collect the used oil.
- Unscrew the drain plug and allow all the oil to drain. It is recommended to tilt the device (if possible or appropriate) towards the drain.
- Screw the plug back into place and move the machine to a level surface.
- Open the filler hole on the oil tank and fill it to the required level, which is controlled by a dipstick.
- Tighten the tank cap.
This completes the process of replacing the lubricant, and the unit is again ready for operation.
Features of the four-stroke engine
Lawn mower gasoline engines are divided into two groups: two-stroke and four-stroke. Their difference in the way of filling the oil is as follows:
- a lubricant for two-stroke engines must be pre-mixed with gasoline in a separate container and in a certain ratio, mixed thoroughly, and only after all this it must be poured into the fuel tank of the car;
- lubricant and gasoline for four-stroke are not pre-mixed. these fluids are poured into separate tanks and work separately, each according to its own system.
Thus, a 4-stroke engine has its own pump, filter and piping system. Its oil system is of a circulation type, that is, unlike a 2-stroke analogue, the lubricant in such a motor does not burn out, but is supplied to the necessary parts and returned to the tank.
Based on this circumstance, the requirement for oil is also special here. It should retain its properties for a long period, when, as for the lubricating composition of a two-stroke engine, the main quality criterion, in addition to the basic properties, is the ability to burn without a trace, without leaving carbon deposits and deposits.
How to change your Briggs & Stratton’s engine oil
What kind of oil should not be poured?
Do not fill the four-stroke engine of the lawn mower with lubricant intended for two-stroke analogs (on the labels of oil containers for such engines, the marking “2T” is put). However, you cannot do this and vice versa. In addition, it is unacceptable to fill in the liquid that was stored in plastic bottles from drinking water.
This polyethylene is not intended for storing aggressive substances in it, therefore, a chemical reaction is possible that affects the properties of both lubricants and polyethylene.
For information on how to change the oil in a four-stroke lawnmower, see the following video.
Do-it-yourself lawn mower repair: the main causes of problems and their elimination
Owners of beautiful and green lawns using lawn mowers can face problems while working. In this article, we will tell you how to repair gasoline lawn mowers with your own hands, and you will also find out the common causes of breakdowns of this device.
- Features of the structure of lawn mowers
- The main causes of lawn mower malfunctions
- Rattles and rattles during operation
- Intense vibration during operation
- Whistling while mowing grass
- Lawn mower leaves grass behind
- The mower is intermittent or the engine does not start at all
Features of the structure of lawn mowers
Most mowers are push-driven from the rear, but there are models that can be steered using the steering wheel. A certain type of device is designed for different jobs. Small ones handle a normal medium-sized area, while large steering mowers are used for large lawns.
But all devices have the same structure. Let’s start with the case. Gasoline mowers have aluminum and steel housings.
Electric lawn mowers are lighter than gasoline ones and their body is made of ABS plastic. It is used to create car bumpers. The mower wheels should be large in diameter, so they can easily overcome bumps. They also create less pressure on the ground and do not injure the lawn. Bearings provide high reliability and durability.
Many manufacturers make the two front wheels swivel. This allows for increased maneuverability. The front wheels swivel around the axle so you don’t have to raise the mower to change direction. Let’s talk about knives. All of them, as a rule, are rotary and are located on the working shaft. The diameter of the blades determines the cutting width of the mower.
The rotor performs the following functions:
- support of knives at a certain distance from the ground;
- rotates quickly and cuts the grass;
- has blades serving as a fan. The air flow from the fan carries the cut grass into the grass catcher.
All knives are made of high quality steel.
A grass catcher is a large bag or plastic box with air holes. It can be easily removed and the contents discarded. Many mowers not only cut the grass, but can also grind it into flour. This process is called mulching. In this case, do not use a grass catcher, since the greens after mowing will serve as fertilizer.