Alteration Screwdriver Under Network 220v
Power supply from a 220V screwdriver
Finally, I started to implement my long-standing idea, namely to provide power for a screwdriver from a 220 volt network. Surely some of you also have a screwdriver with a worn out, unusable battery that no longer takes charge. There were two instances at my location.
The first (black) operating voltage is 18 volts. It was him who I originally wanted to power from the network, because It comfortably lies in the hand and is quite powerful. But there is no button. Perhaps in the future I will cut the handle and make it look like a drill. The second instance is designed for 12 volts.
He served for quite some time. The battery, of course, can be purchased new or, in extreme cases, replaced banks. But still I want to have an always-on tool on hand, especially since an electric drill is not always convenient to use because she is heavy.
A power transformer will help us realize this idea.
A step-down transformer TS-250-36 was used. “250” is its rated power, and the number 36 means that the output will have a voltage of 36 V. It has an O-shaped magnetic circuit. The windings are located in such a way that half of the primary is wound on the left, the second half on the right side.
The secondary winding, which is located on top of the primary, is wound in the same way.
It is not difficult to distinguish the windings from each other at the step-down transformer, because the secondary is made of a thicker wire, and the one to which the mains voltage is supplied from a thinner wire.
This is due to the fact that a smaller current flows through it.
The windings have a symmetrical arrangement and two halves of 18 volts are connected by a wire (the connection point is clearly visible in the bottom photo). I will use one half.
But before rewinding the transformer, you need to take measurements. I urge you to be careful when working with current, not to touch live parts, and always check that the measurement limit on the multimeter is set correctly.
On the right, the voltage across half of the secondary winding is measured. As you can see, the voltage slightly exceeds the passport values, because no load is connected here.
So I separated one half and now proceed to disassemble the transformer. Between the layers of paper was a large amount of paraffin.
The secondary winding in my case is wound in two layers separated by a layer of paper. To reduce the secondary voltage from 18 volts, almost half of the turns had to be removed.
When determining the required voltage, one must take into account that there will be a diode bridge after the transformer, which will reduce the voltage by about a couple of volts. But the addition of a smoothing capacitor will cause a voltage increase of about 1.4 times. Those. in the absence of load, the rectified voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the amplitude value.
As you unwind the secondary, we take measurements. Soon, I settled on a value of 11.2 Volts, because I was afraid of a drawdown when connecting a load.
When the transformer is ready (although some may use the ready with the right parameters), now it’s time to get familiar with the circuit.
A diode bridge (VDS) must be soldered to the transformer output to convert the alternating current into a constant pulsating one.
The diode bridge can be assembled from a separate diode or use ready-made. When choosing it, you should consider how many amperes your screwdriver consumes (pick up the bridge with a margin).
Solder the wires from the secondary winding to the terminals of the diode bridge, where the letters AC (alternating current) are.
Well, after the bridge, you need to solder the capacitor to smooth out the ripple. Its voltage must exceed the power supply voltage of the screwdriver at least twice. And the capacitance is from 470 microfarads to 2200 microfarads.
Optionally, a circuit breaker and fuse can be added in front of the transformer in the circuit.
So, after connecting the circuit, I took measurements. The open circuit voltage at the output of the power supply (when the load is not connected) is 15 volts. When you start a screwdriver, it sags to 11.5 volts, which is the norm, so it’s okay. A fully charged new battery produced 13 volts.
This is how the instrument looks from the inside. Here you can find the limit parameters of the button, and you can also notice that the engine is controlled by a powerful field-effect transistor.
In order to conveniently connect to the power supply, I disassembled the battery. We will need contacts from him.
This item must be tinned. I soldered about Bosch using rosin, but in some cases it may be necessary to use a flux for brazing aluminum.
Of course, when soldering the wires from the power supply, do not forget about the polarity, usually it is indicated on the battery case.
The compartment has become very light. The wire was sealed with hot glue.
Tests showed that the screwdriver, when working from the power supply unit, coped with the tasks.
There is a video for this article, which shows in detail the process of creating a power supply, rewinding a transformer, connecting and testing.
Download list of items (PDF)
DIY power supply for a screwdriver
Home »Screwdriver» Do-it-yourself power supply for the screwdriver
A screwdriver is one of the most commonly used types of tools in everyday life and production.
This device is in demand for electrical and construction works, as well as for the assembly of furniture and other items, the design of which provides for threaded connections.
Cordless screwdriver has such advantages as compactness and mobility. Nevertheless, many owners of this tool are often interested in how to remake a cordless screwdriver into a network one.
What is the reason for this? When using it, one has to face such a disadvantage as low energy consumption, which forces the battery to be charged after every 40 minutes of intensive use.
On the other hand, with rare use of the device, spontaneous discharge of the battery leads to its breakdown due to the destruction of the constituent elements.
It is impossible to repair a battery that has become unusable, it may be difficult to purchase a new one: often only official representatives of a manufacturing company sell components and the cost of a new battery is slightly lower than the price of a new screwdriver.
What are the benefits of changing the type of food
A household screwdriver with a failed battery can be switched to mains power by making some changes to its design. This does not require a significant expenditure of money, time and effort. At the same time, the advantages of such a tool transformation are obvious:
- The need to regularly charge the battery will disappear, and along with it, forced outages, since the duration of such a procedure is 3 hours or more.
- The constant value of the current strength, which does not decrease as a result of the gradual discharge of the battery, ensures constant torque.
- If there is no need to use the tool, its long idle time will not lead to deterioration of technical parameters.
The only drawback when working with a power screwdriver is the dependence on the availability of the mains.
Before starting work, all necessary materials should be prepared. All of them are inexpensive and are on sale. Some structural elements, such as a battery or power supply, can be taken from old, no longer used devices.
Before converting a cordless screwdriver into a network one, make sure that:
- charger and battery (from the screwdriver);
- soft stranded cable;
- soldering iron;
- electrical tape.
Power supply selection
The power supply provides AC conversion, the voltage of which is 220 volts. Screwdrivers consume direct current with a nominal value of 9–19 V, therefore, connection to the network is carried out using an electronic transformer, for this purpose it is better to use products of the Toshibra and Feron brands.
Transformers of these brands are reliable in operation, compact enough, lightweight, do not complicate the movement of the tool.
Their load characteristics correspond to the parameters that a screwdriver for a house has. decreasing during overloads, they protect the tool from damage.
The design of the devices has 2 input and output wires, they allow you to provide power to halogen lamps and other types of electricity consumers with a voltage of 12 V.
Design features of electronic transformers
Increased dissipation inductance provides a falling characteristic, additional galvanic isolation increases the safety of the power supply. By changing the number of turns of the primary winding, you can adjust the output voltage by adjusting it to a specific type of screwdriver.
Due to the removal of the secondary winding from the midpoint, it is possible to use not a diode bridge, but a half-wave rectifier equipped with only 2 diodes instead of 4. This will reduce power losses by 2 times.
Capacitors C1 and C2 smooth out low-frequency and high-frequency pulsations; the HL1 LED can be used to check the operation of the unit. Resistor R1 limits the amount of charging current supplied by the capacitor; load resistors R2 – R7 enable the power supply to start.
Connect the cable to the terminals of the charger and battery
Converting a cordless screwdriver to a network one requires creating a solid connection of the wire with the charging and battery contacts.
When performing the operation on the charger, the cable with the terminals is usually connected by soldering, but it can be replaced using crocodile clips.
Before starting work, the surface of the soldered parts is treated with acid. You can also use special solder.
When connecting the cable to the battery terminals, it is not recommended to use the clamps. during operation, such a bond will be disconnected. The only reliable way out is to solder the ends of the copper core to the contacts.
It is most convenient to use the battery of the screwdriver itself. Previously, it is disassembled to remove spent batteries.
At the same time, it is advisable to protect the skin of the hands and respiratory tract from the ingress of harmful substances contained in the old battery filling.
Entering and securing the cable in the battery case
Then you need to clean the tool. A screwdriver at the location of the spent elements is treated with a rag moistened with a weak alkaline solution, then with ordinary water. To drain the case, wipe it with a clean rag. After complete evaporation of moisture, the ends of the cable are soldered to the contacts located on the inner wall, observing the polarity.
If it is violated, there will be a change in the direction of rotation of the screwdriver, and hence the position of the button that switches the reverse. A hole is drilled in it to insert the wire into the battery case. On the inner side of the wall of the device, the cable is fixed using electrical tape and insulation removed from a larger diameter wire.
To prevent tension and breakage of the wiring, an insulating sheath is put on it and fixed to the surface with several layers of insulating tape. To eliminate the shift of the center of gravity, it is necessary to compensate for the change in the mass of the handle of the device by adding a counterweight. As it is possible to use a piece of pressed rubber.
What to do when there is no charger
It is also possible that the charger is lost or broken. How to remake a cordless screwdriver in the network with your own hands in this case? Use a battery designed for use with another technical device.
The main condition in this case: a household screwdriver must have characteristics corresponding to its parameters. not only voltage, but also current strength. For example, when using a car battery, increased values of this indicator contribute to overheating and rapid breakdown of the electric motor.
Thinking of how to remake a cordless screwdriver into a network one, you can use a car battery. But this option is only suitable for those cases when it is necessary to produce a small amount of work. The connection is carried out similarly to the connection to the terminals of the charger described above.
The combination of a car battery with a portable power supply
This is one of the possible solutions to the problem. Consider how to remake a cordless screwdriver into a network one using a power supply. A soft cable is attached to the terminals of the tool, to the second end of which an electric plug is attached.
In order to make a power supply, it is enough to connect a rectifier to any transformer with the relevant data for a screwdriver. Its task is to convert an alternating current with a voltage of 220 volts.
Screwdrivers of different brands require a constant current supply of a certain value, which can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the number of turns on the transformer coil.
With a lack of experience in this area, it is better to use a ready-made transformer with the necessary characteristics and equip it with a rectifier. The rectifier bridge diodes should match your current screwdriver model. Its connection is made according to the standard scheme.
How to avoid unnecessary operations using a computer power supply
The method described above has a significant drawback. its implementation is associated with certain difficulties. But there is an easier way out. To do this, you will need a power supply from any computer. We will figure out how to remake a cordless screwdriver into a network one with its help.
Video: Alteration Screwdriver Under Network 220v
The main advantage of a computer power supply is its versatility. With the correct connection of the wires, you can get currents of any value. it does not matter what parameters your tool has. Using a screwdriver when using such a transformer will be as convenient as possible.
The presence in the power supply of the cooling system guarantees the duration of its operation. It is important to place it in an insulating casing, provide grounding of the device and install an electrical outlet on the wall of the rectifier. Emergency shutdown of the power supply is carried out by a toggle switch located on the rear panel of the housing.
Using inverter welding
If the house has an old inverter machine, you can use it to convert a screwdriver.
But it must be borne in mind that the currents generated by welding do not meet the required ones, and this forces changes in its design. A secondary coil must be connected to the components included in the device.
This work requires analysis and calculations, which without the knowledge of radio engineering cannot be carried out independently.
Rules for using a modernized screwdriver
We examined various options for answering the question of how to remake a cordless screwdriver into a network one. Useful tips that may come in handy when working with an advanced tool:
- every 20 minutes of using a screwdriver, it is necessary to give the motor about 5 minutes of rest;
- so that the cable does not interfere during operation, it can be fixed at the level of the elbow, leaving some margin in the arm area;
- periodically you need to clean the power supply from dust entering the inside;
- when using a power supply, it is desirable to be limited to a minimum number of extension cords;
- a screwdriver adapted to the consumption of voltage from the network cannot be used during high-altitude work. at a distance of 2 or more meters from the ground;
- Never use an ungrounded power supply.
Adhering to the above rules, you can increase the service life of the screwdriver, the design of which has been amended. It will become less mobile, but this is offset by the lack of the need for regular recharging of the tool. An additional advantage of the alteration is that you do not need to purchase new batteries to replace failed ones.
How to convert a cordless screwdriver to mains power
The cordless screwdriver has an undeniable advantage when working remotely in all weather conditions. Using the battery device, you can work both in the living room and outside it: there is no dependence on the availability of power sources.
The screwdriver has a different power, which is determined by the capabilities of the battery: 12v, 14v, 18v. This versatile equipment is designed for home use and small installation work.
But a screwdriver with an adapter has a serious drawback: the battery lasts a maximum of several hours of operation in intensive mode. For professional installation work, a screwdriver with production capacity and working from a 220v network is required.
Like any battery, the power supply in the device has its own life. Depending on the intensity of use, the cordless screwdriver is designed for a maximum of 3 years.
The battery capacity will decrease every year and you will need to replace the unit. Therefore, it makes sense to remake the old cordless screwdriver to a new, network one.
Do-it-yourself switching power supply for an 18 V screwdriver
The weakest point in household screwdrivers is the battery. Like any galvanic cell, it has its own life. The battery for a screwdriver lasts an average of 3-4 years, no more, and then must be disposed of. By the way, claims that with proper care and maintenance he will last 10 years are clearly exaggerated.
How to give a screwdriver a second life with a dead battery?
Switching power supply for an 18 V screwdriver: diagram
There is a way, and he is not alone. You can purchase a new battery. But the price of such a device can exceed the cost of the entire instrument as a whole, bought several years ago. Therefore, the most acceptable solution would be to re-equip the screwdriver under mains voltage.
Options for connecting a screwdriver to a 220 V network
One solution would be to create a do-it-yourself power supply. There are many options for creating a homemade power supply:
- universal option;
- with bipolar resistor;
- with a three-pole resistor;
- with an amplifier;
- on the zener diode and without;
- on one filter.
However, they have established themselves as the most reliable impulse modifications.
Component elements of the switching power supply circuit
Making a switching power supply for a 18 V hand tool with your own hands is not difficult. To do this, you will need:
- The output capacitor is 5 pF.
- Negative directivity integral converter.
- Comparator for two or three plates.
- Low impedance rectifier.
- Channel filters with beam adapters.
- Schematic diagram of a switching power supply.
Connect a cordless screwdriver to a 220 V network: AC adapter
The power adapter can set in motion a screwdriver electric drive from a 220 V network. It can be purchased ready-made. the price allows. You can do it yourself. The purchased adapter must be inserted into the battery case of the screwdriver, after removing the batteries. The only drawback is the small length of the cord.
Do-it-yourself power adapter for a screwdriver: materials
If there is a need to make a network adapter with your own hands, then charging for a laptop is ideal.
The process of converting a cordless screwdriver into a network one is simple and does not take much time. To do this, you must have:
- Charger from a laptop.
- A screwdriver with a used battery.
- Electric wire.
- Electrical tape.
- Soldering iron and solder.
DIY power adapter for a screwdriver: step-by-step instructions
The conversion process includes the following steps:
- First you need to measure the output voltage on the device. It should be 19 V.
- After that, you need to take the battery and disassemble. If it is twisted with screws, then simply unscrew them, if glued, then it must first be knocked with a rubber hammer. Clean the housing from dirt and prepare for further work by drilling a hole for the power cable in it.
- Now you need to cut the connector and strip the wires from insulation.
- Do not discard the battery immediately. It can serve as a counterweight for some time. The center of gravity of the screwdriver is offset and located in the area of the handle. When removing galvanic cells, its place will change, and it will be inconvenient to work with the tool.
- To the wires coming from the battery terminals, you need to connect an extended cable from charging the laptop. It must first be passed through a prepared hole in the housing. The cable can be soldered or twisted by insulating with electrical tape.
- When everything is ready, you need to put everything in the case and check the polarity. After that, test the screwdriver.
Power supply for an 18 V cordless screwdriver based on an electronic transformer
Another solution for reworking a cordless screwdriver for a 220 V network is the use of an electronic transformer.
Materials for assembling a transformer power supply
For this we need the following details:
- 105 W TOSHIBA electronic transformer or 200-250 W Kamelion. The last device is additionally protected against short circuit.
- Ultrafast diodes KD213 or KD 2999, KD 2997 at 10 A in the amount of 4 pcs.
- Throttle from a computer power supply.
- Electrolytic capacitor 2200 mF at 25 V.
- 220 nF film capacitor at 25 V.
- Load resistor 1-2 kOhm.
Procedure for assembling a transformer power supply
- The process begins with the refinement of the electronic transformer. It is necessary to add 4 turns to the secondary winding.
- After that, you can collect the diode bridge. Assembly of the circuit is carried out by hinged installation or everything is placed on a printed circuit board.
- Then you need to install a choke in the circuit. A capacitor of 2200 mF at 25 V is soldered behind it. This is the optimal capacity of the device. Neither more nor less is needed.
- In parallel with the electrolyte, a film capacitor must be installed. It is needed so that the high-frequency remnants do not damage the main capacitor, but pass through the film capacitor.
- An output resistor must be installed. It will provide the same voltage value, regardless of the load, and will protect the output of capacitors from failure.
- After that, a capacitor must be installed in the electronic transformer to be able to start without load.
- The first time you need to turn on the power supply with a 40 W pilot light. This is necessary in order to avoid short circuits that may have occurred during rewinding of the transformer or assembly. If the lamp does not light up, then everything is done correctly.
- After this, the control must be removed and the unit checked under load by connecting it to a screwdriver.
- The resulting block can be placed in the tool’s battery case.
The reader, having read the information presented in this article, can return his second life to his screwdriver.
To do this, it is enough to choose the most acceptable way of remaking a cordless tool under a 220 V network.
DIY power supply for a do-it-yourself screwdriver: manufacturing instructions, diagram:
Can a master do without construction in the presence of such an indispensable tool as a screwdriver? To carry out a full-fledged work without the use of such a tool will not work, because you constantly need to tighten or reinforce something somewhere. This need for a screwdriver is explained by its functionality and ability to significantly facilitate some of the stages of construction and finishing work.
You may not know which screwdriver is better, but you will definitely appreciate all its capabilities, especially those who used to screw the screws with a screwdriver. But, like any equipment, a cordless screwdriver eventually loses its former efficiency and no longer works with such power as before.
How to solve such a problem if it occurs? Of course, you can buy another battery, but the cost of a new battery "bites", so the masters offer an alternative. to make a 12V power supply for a do-it-yourself screwdriver.
This is a great way out of the situation and a great opportunity to try your hand at radio engineering.
Stages of preliminary work: getting ready for construction
Before proceeding with the reworking of the battery, select another network unit that is suitable in size, in the future it must be placed in an existing case and secured. From the inside of the prepared device, they clean and measure the internal space, which differs in comparison with the external content.
What you need to know when starting design
Study the marking or design features indicated on the tool body and, based on these indicators, determine the voltage required for power supply.
In our case, it will be enough to assemble a do-it-yourself 12V power supply for a screwdriver. If the required values are other than 12V, continue to look for an interchangeable option.
Having chosen an analog, calculate the current consumption of a screwdriver, since the manufacturer does not indicate such a parameter. To find out, you need to know the power of the device.
If you don’t have time to select the device, and the calculations take too much time, take any power supply unit you have. When buying it, in addition to current, ask about the battery capacity.
To design a 12V power supply for a do-it-yourself screwdriver, a device with a capacity of 1.2A and a charge of 2.5 will be enough.
Remember, before looking for a recharge, determine the following necessary parameters:
- Block sizes.
- Minimum current.
- The required voltage level.
The process of designing a battery pack for a screwdriver
Having picked up a new device and all the parts necessary for the construction, you can begin to work. Assembling a 12V power supply for a do-it-yourself screwdriver consists of the following steps:
- Having picked up the optimal power supply, check it for similarities with the declared characteristics, which will depend on which screwdriver. It is better to use a computer unit as the basis for the new battery.
- Disassemble the screwdriver and remove the old drive. If the body is glued, gently tap along the seam with a hammer or cut it with a thin knife blade. So you open the box with the least damage.
- Unsolder the cord and leads from the plug and separate them from the rest of the structure.
- In the place where the battery pack for the screwdriver used to be, place other contents removed from the case.
- Unplug the power cord through the opening in the housing. Connect it to the power supply, soldering into place.
- Using soldering, combine the output of the computer power supply with the battery terminals. Remember to observe polarity.
- Connect the designed battery to the instrument and test it.
- If the dimensions of the new charger exceed the parameters of the previous battery, it can be built into the handle of a screwdriver.
- To limit the supply of voltage from the mains to the battery by a parallel supply output, a diode is installed with the required power from the inside of the cable “break” between the battery socket, including the terminal, but with the “-” pole towards the engine.
What gives such a battery update
The transformation of the power supply for the computer into a battery that continuously works on the network for a screwdriver has several advantages, namely:
- No need to worry about periodically recharging the device.
- Downtime during long periods of operation is minimized.
- Torque gains constant value by providing direct current.
- Connecting a converted computer power supply for a screwdriver (12V) does not affect the technical parameters of the product, even if the device has not succumbed to operation for a long period of time.
The only quality that is referred to as a drawback is the presence of an electrical outlet near the work site. This problem is easily solved by connecting the extension cord.
Materials and tools for the modernization of a screwdriver
Altering a computer power supply for a screwdriver is not difficult, moreover, such an activity is informative, especially for beginners in the field of radio mechanics. Having the necessary skills and all the components, in a short time you will have a transformed network screwdriver. To carry out the work you will need:
- Charger from a screwdriver;
- old factory battery;
- soft multicore electric cable;
- soldering iron and solder;
- insulating tape;
- power supply from a computer (or other).
You can use various options for power supplies to create a compact battery for the smooth operation of a screwdriver.
Battery or power supply from computer equipment
A device that supports the charge of a PC or laptop, it will fit for the purpose. The process of introducing a power supply into a screwdriver is as follows:
- The body of the screwdriver is completely disassembled.
- The old power source is removed, and the wires are unsoldered.
- The wiring of the new unit is connected to the wiring of the old one, which supplies the last battery. When carrying out such an operation, it is important to observe the polarity!
- Turn on the screwdriver and check for operability. If all the wires are connected correctly, then the machine will work.
- A hole is provided in the housing of the device, where a plug with a socket for recharging is easily placed. By upgrading the screwdriver in this way, you get an improved device, which now also recharges like a laptop from a 220V network during operation.
- A new power source is mounted inside the screwdriver, fixing it with glue.
- The remaining housing elements are returned to their place and twisted the product, giving it its original appearance.
That’s all! Now you know how to make a network of a cordless screwdriver.
Car battery as a power source
A car battery is a great option for remotely connecting a screwdriver to the network. To realize the idea, simply disconnect the clamps from the working tool and power to the power source.
Important! The use of such source for long-term operation of a screwdriver is highly not recommended.
Using a welding inverter to power a screwdriver
To remake the old design, prepare the power supply circuit for a 12V screwdriver. The old design is improved to some extent by adding a secondary coil.
When compared with a computer battery, the inverter advantage is immediately noticeable. Thanks to the design features, it is immediately possible to determine the required voltage level and current strength at the output. This is an ideal method for those who live in radio.
Features of network screwdrivers
It is possible to transform the device into a network device using another technique based on the production of a mobile station for feeding a screwdriver. An elastic wire is connected to the unit, a plug is attached to one of its ends. Although, in order to operate such a station, it will be necessary to build a special power supply unit or connect a ready-made transformer with a rectifier.
Important! Remember to ensure that the transformer specifications match the parameters of the tool.
If you are new to this business, then most likely it will be difficult for you to do the transformation of the coil yourself. Without important skills, you can make a mistake with the number of turns, the selection of the diameter of the wire, therefore it is better to entrust such work to a specialist or at least a person who is versed in the topic.
90% of the equipment is sold with an integrated transformer. All that needs to be done is to choose the best option and design a rectifier for it. To solder the rectifier bridge, semiconductor diodes are used, selected strictly according to the parameters of the tool.
Network Screwdriver Tips
Experts recommend following certain rules to everyone who decides to reconstruct a screwdriver and design a 12V power supply for a do-it-yourself screwdriver. Instructions for upgrading the tool include these tips:
- The power screwdriver can be operated as much as you like and not worry about the battery running out. However, such an instrument needs rest. Therefore, take five-minute breaks to avoid overheating or overloading the tool.
- When working with a screwdriver, do not forget to fasten the wire in the elbow. So it will be more convenient to operate the device, and the cord will not interfere when screwing in the screws.
- Systematically clean the screwdriver power supply from dust and dirt deposits.
- The new battery is provided with grounding.
- Do not use more than one extension cord to connect to the network.
- Such a device is not recommended for use in high-altitude work (from two meters).
Adhering to the above recommendations, you can operate the screwdriver longer and extend its working condition, postponing the purchase of a new tool for a long time.
Now you know which power supply is needed for a 12V screwdriver, and what materials to use in order to make such a design yourself at home. There is no need to replace the old screwdriver with a new one.
A radical decision should be made only if the unit is completely out of order, and a “dead” battery is not a problem for the craftsman. It is enough to have a concept of radio engineering and arm yourself with a soldering iron.
Then it will be easier to cope with the task.