Attachment for angle grinder for cutting wood
How To Make A Angle Grinder Cutter || Angle Grinder Attachment || Angle Grinder Projects
Creating a machine for sawing wood
Two pieces are cut from the corner (45×45 mm). precise dimensions should be viewed according to the dimensions of the angle grinder gear unit. In the corners, 12 mm holes are drilled (an angle grinder is screwed to them). If the factory bolts are too long, they can then be cut off. Sometimes, instead of bolted fasteners, studs are used, this does not in any way affect the quality of the connection. Often, the corners are welded, such a mount is the most reliable.
A special support is made for the lever, the unit is attached to it, for this, two pipe segments should be selected so that they enter one into the other with a small gap. And to make the marking more accurate, it is recommended to wrap the fragments with adhesive mounting tape, draw a mowing line with a marker. A cut is made along the mowing line, a pipe element with a smaller diameter should be smaller (1.8 cm). For the inner diameter, it will be necessary to find two bearings that are inserted into a more massive pipe, then a pipe with a smaller diameter is inserted into a pipe of a larger diameter. Bearings are pressed on both sides.
The mount is placed in the bearing, it is imperative to put the lock washer in the bolted mount. After the pivot assembly is prepared, a small piece of the corner should be fixed.
The vertical mount for the swivel unit is made from a corner of 50×50 mm, while the segments must be of the same size. The corners are fixed with a clamp and cut.
It is recommended to drill the corners immediately, and then with the drilled holes they can be attached to the swivel unit using nuts.
Now you need to figure out how long the lever will be needed. an angle grinder will be mounted on it. A similar action is performed using the selection technology, while the parameters of the impeller should be taken into account. Often, parts are pre-laid out on a flat plane and analyzed, then the configuration and dimensions of the product become clear. The pipe is most often used square with a size of 18×18 mm.
After precise adjustment of all elements, they can be fastened together by welding.
The pendulum unit is easy to place on any plane. This can be a wooden table that is sheathed with a metal sheet. A more rigid fastening is provided by welding two small fragments into which holes are drilled.
During installation, one of the main working moments is setting an angle of 90 degrees between the plane of the disc and the supporting surface (“sole”). In this case, a construction square should be used, which is attached to the abrasive wheel (it is mounted on an angle grinder). Welding a piece at an angle of 90 degrees is easy for a craftsman, it will take a little time.
An emphasis should also be made so that the workpiece is rigidly fixed during operation. A vice is often placed on a flat surface, which provides a reliable fastening. After all the operations performed, a protective coating (casing) should be made. It is recommended to take into account the size of the disk here. Before starting work, an exact template for the future part should be cut out of cardboard.
The protective screen can be made from two pieces of tin. An aluminum corner is attached to one of the blanks, it will allow you to reliably fix the protective screen using a crossbar. Such accessories are necessary for normal operation, since the angle grinder is a tool of increased injury.
Small holes are made on the screen, the prepared fragment is fixed with nuts and bolts. The protective cover can be painted with oil paint, and if done correctly, it will serve for a long time and reliably protect the worker.
The base-stand for the machine is sometimes made of silicate or red brick.
From the bike
Craftsmen often make a cutting machine out of a piece of a bicycle frame and a turbine. Old Soviet-made bicycles are ideal for these purposes. But more modern ones are also suitable, the frames of which are made of strong metal with a wall thickness of 3.0-3.5 mm, which allows you to withstand heavy loads.
On the Internet or in special literature, you can see drawings for the implementation of vertical mounts, and pedals can be used as a swivel mechanism. Taking the sample you like as a basis, you can independently bring a new drawing “to mind”.
A protective screen is easy to create from plywood or plexiglass. In addition to the bike frame, you will also need a mounting table, and brackets from the reinforcement can be welded as locks.
It is optimal to use 12 mm reinforcement for these purposes.
The frame is freed from the steering wheel (you can cut off a fragment from it and use it as a handle). From the side of the fork, an element with a length of 12 centimeters is cut. The fork is shortened in accordance with the parameters of the impeller. Then you can start to mount it using a metal base (a piece of metal 5-6 mm thick).
The base of the machine is made using a quadrangular chipboard fragment (3 cm thick), which is sheathed with sheet metal. A vertical post is welded to it. Two rectangular pipes are cut (the size is chosen arbitrary), they are welded at the corners of the future base at an angle of 90 degrees.
Insert a fragment of a bicycle “fork” into the vertical mount (which is already fixed on the “plate”). On the reverse side of the rack, a rudder element is fixed. A plate is also attached to the fork by welding, on which the impeller is held.
Finally, the stop strips are attached to the base (they are made from the corner). The finished block is carefully sanded, painted with an anti-corrosion compound and enamel.
The most common and popular attachments are cut-off wheels. Good discs for metal are produced by Makita and Bosch. The best diamond bits are produced by Hitachi (Japan). such discs are universal and can successfully cut any material.
Grinding attachments from the DeWALT company from America are appreciated. They differ in the material from which they are made, can be: from a sponge, matter, felt.
For working with stone and metal, special peeling nozzles are used. The highest quality of them are the products of the companies DWT (Switzerland) and “Interskol” (Russia). The products of the latter company stand out favorably for their combination of price and quality. The named companies also produce good roughing discs, which are diamond-coated.
In addition, DWT manufactures high quality angle grinder attachments called roller cutters. They are used to remove old paint, cement, primer.
Fiolent produces a variety of very good quality turbine nozzles. for attachments from this manufacturer are low. “Fiolent” appeared on the market relatively recently, but has already managed to gain a good reputation and authority.
The company “Bort” from China (Bort) also makes good attachments for grinders. As you know, the products of Chinese manufacturers are traditionally distinguished by a low price.
Varieties of devices
Angle grinder attachments are available with a wide variety of functions:
- for smooth cutting;
- for grinding;
- for cutting bars and pipes with a diameter of 50 to 125 mm;
- for peeling old layers from surfaces;
- for cleaning and grinding;
- for polishing;
- chain saw for cutting wood;
- for collecting and removing dust during operation.
These fixtures are also called accessories. They are often purchased separately from the main unit. Some of them can be made independently from available material or old technology.
How to do it yourself?
Before doing, for example, any machine using an angle grinder (the device is quite simple), it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the schematic drawings that can be found on the Internet or special literature. They will help you better understand the principle of the grinders themselves, as well as how the various attachments that may be required are made. The nodes will have to be selected empirically, focusing on the actual dimensions that are available for this particular turbine model. Such a unit can be ideal for cutting and facing various workpieces.
There are dozens of different attachments, which can be of very different sizes, so the parameters of the working elements should be selected when this particular model is in front of your eyes.
Making a pendulum saw
The pendulum saw is done as follows.
For rigid mounting, brackets are suitable, with which you can fix the angle grinder. To make the device, you need five identical pieces of metal reinforcement. They are welded to form a bracket-mount. A clamp-type mount is created that will fix the handle of the grinding head. A vertical support (“leg”) is attached to the front edge of the rods so that the bracket can be fixed. The bracket is mounted on a hinge, which makes it possible to rotate the assembly at any angle with respect to the working plane.
Grinding machine for metal elements
There is another option that will allow you to process metal parts. To do this, take profile pipes (2 pcs.), Attach them by welding to a rectangle made of steel sheet 5 mm thick. Holes are drilled in the uprights and arm, and dimensions can only be determined empirically.
- Lever is attached.
- Spring is attached.
- Holes drilled for bolt fasteners.
- The rod is also drilled (the drill will fit 6mm).
- After preparatory work, the turbine can be mounted on the working plane.
The device is simple in design. It turns out a portable edging machine. In some joints, clamp fasteners can be made, gaps can be laid with wooden dies.
For a more secure stop, an additional corner is screwed on. It is also permissible to attach a small angle grinder to a metal strip (5 mm thick), while it is also reasonable to use a clamp fastening.
To remove dust during work, a dust collector is most often used. For an angle grinder, you can make an effective attachment from a PVC container with a volume of 2-5 liters. A frame is made on the bottle with a marker, a rectangular hole is cut in the side. The dust collector is attached to the impeller, an exhaust hose is mounted on the neck.
The gaps can be sealed with a special thermal putty, which is used to seal up wooden windows.
An exhaust device is necessary: it significantly helps in work when an angle grinder is used to clean various surfaces from old paint, insulation, rust, cement mortar. In this case, you can use various attachments with a metal mesh. These works are associated with the formation of a large amount of dust, therefore, personal protective equipment should be used.
All About Angle Grinder Accessories
Angle grinder attachments greatly expand its functionality, they can be installed on impellers of any size. With the help of simple devices, you can make a cutting unit or a machine for cutting grooves (grooves in concrete), which will ensure the quality of work at the highest level. The need to purchase an expensive professional tool disappears, since a good job can be done with homemade improvised means.
What are wood discs for an angle grinder and how to use them correctly?
The angle grinder is one of the most popular tools for working on a variety of surfaces. be it metal, stone or concrete. It is also called an angle grinder. Typically, an angle grinder is used to process metal or stone workpieces. But in some cases, the angle grinder can also be used as a woodworking tool.
How to choose?
The basis of any quality work depends on the right tool. And discs for an angle grinder should be given great importance, because this is the main part that will perform wood processing. Many accidents when working with an angle grinder are caused by an incorrectly selected disc. A skewed or stuck nozzle in the workpiece makes the angle grinder uncontrollable. it flies out of your hands and can easily cause damage. Or the disc can break apart into small pieces that fly apart at great speed. The consequences of such cases are the most sad. This usually happens due to tips with defects, chips or cracks. Therefore, to choose the right saw blade, several factors must be taken into account.
- Type of work. To begin with, it is worth deciding on the type of operations for which you have to use the disc on the grinder. Varieties of circles, depending on the type of work, have already been presented above.
- The diameter of the disc must also be taken into account. Usually this figure starts from 115 and ends with 230 mm. But large-diameter nozzles are often used for working with metal products. For working with wood, circles with a diameter of 125 mm are considered a universal option. This size is ideal for household work. Circle diameter over 150mm is commonly used by professional carpenters for large surface work.
- The diameter of the wheel also depends on the size of the angle grinder itself. It is advisable to install discs of a smaller diameter on a small angle grinder. The inner diameter of the wheels may also differ, especially if the tool is old. The current ID standard is 22.2mm.
Usually, the instructions for the tool indicate what the maximum diameter of the disc can be installed on it. It is strictly forbidden to install a nozzle of a larger diameter.
- Number and location of teeth. This factor will depend on the type of wood you have to work with. The universal option is a three-fluted angle grinder. With this nozzle, it is possible to cut wood lengthwise, across, and you can also make various cuts and grooves. The disc with alternately beveled teeth protects from the absence of chips on the material. over, such discs are designed for processing different types of wood. Straight-toothed tips are recommended for softwood applications.
Trapezoidal discs can be used for chipboard processing.
- Disc thickness. The average disc thickness for an angle grinder for woodworking is 2 mm. Here it is necessary to take into account how wide the cut on the workpiece itself needs to be made. For example, when working with a chain disc, the cut will be very wide. up to 8 mm, because the disc itself is quite wide. Therefore, for thin cuts, it is worth using small-width nozzles. Accordingly, the diameter also plays a role here. the larger it is, the larger the thickness of the nozzle.
- Visual inspection. If everything is decided with the type of work and the model of the nozzle is chosen, then it is necessary to carefully examine it. No one is immune from fakes, so you should choose a disc with no external defects. no chips, with all teeth present, no cracks.
Among the main manufacturers supplying wheels for an angle grinder to the domestic market, it is worth highlighting the following brands.
- “Speedcutter Graff”. This accessory model has three large prongs, designed for woodworking and some more durable materials. It is made of tungsten carbide, so it is highly reliable. Even with prolonged operation and strong friction against the workpiece, the disc does not heat up and does not warp.
- “Cedar”. These discs of a domestic manufacturer with multiple teeth are made of high-strength steel. The disc does not grind for a long time and successfully copes even with hard wood species.
- “Vortex”. This manufacturer has also proven itself from the best sides. High-quality discs for wood have an increased level of wear resistance and perfectly even cuts due to high-quality grinding of the nozzle itself.
When choosing a disc for an angle grinder, it is important to pay attention to the EAC quality certification. After all, all discs are manufactured according to the strictly established GOST. It is not recommended to take suspicious models that have not passed certification or from unknown manufacturers.
Considering all of the above nuances, you can choose the right disc for wood for an angle grinder.
Is the angle sander suitable for wood?
This question is asked by most owners of an angle grinder. Yes, the angle grinder can be used on wood surfaces. But not always. The angle grinder is not designed for woodworking purposes. Special attachments, which are recommended to carry out work on wood processing, began to be supplied to the market of carpentry tools not so long ago.
The main operations that can be performed with this tool on wood surfaces are grinding and roughing work. For their implementation, it is worth using special nozzles. It is important to remember. in no case should you cut wood in a circle on metal or stone. This can lead, at best, to tool breakage, or even injury. The saw blades can get stuck in the workpiece and the tool can simply fly out of your hand. Also, cutting wheels tend to overheat when cutting wood. In this case, the circle can fall apart and hit the face.
In general, there are three main models of cutting wheels for an angle grinder. These are saw blades, diamond blades and abrasive blades.
Diamond coated grinding wheels are designed for metal surfaces. They are distinguished by their high strength and durability. This type of attachment can also sharpen blunt tools. It is not recommended to cut wood with this circle. Abrasive discs are designed for grinding and have different grit sizes. An abrasive is the material that forms the basis of a circle. Quite often, electrocorundum or silicon carbide can be used as such constituent components.
Saw blades are designed for cutting and have a large classification. They can be designed for different materials. But not all of these types are recommended for cutting or processing wood materials. There are separate attachment options for wood.
Wood should be cut with an angle grinder, only using specially designed metal discs that have teeth at the edges. There are some disc options that can be used to carve wood. Usually the wood is cut with a shallow sander. For cutting large workpieces, it is better to use a circular saw, which is specially designed for processing these materials. But some sander attachments allow you to cut or process small workpieces.
These attachments can differ in their purpose in the following types. cutting wheels, roughing models and discs for polishing or grinding.
Among the cutting options for circles on wood, two are worth highlighting.
Awesome idea with Angle Grinder! And so it was possible
- Circular circle. This nozzle is a circle with teeth. Usually these have a maximum diameter of up to 180 mm. On large circles, there are soldering. There are circles that are more compact, which have no soldering. In general, circular discs are considered a “dangerous” option for the attachment on a sander for cutting wood blanks. Therefore, it is advisable to choose circular discs that provide protection against jamming it in the material. This is due to the fact that the teeth on this version of the disc are slightly apart to the sides.
- Chain circles. These models are the best suited for working with an angle grinder with woody species. The risk of tool jamming in the workpiece is minimized. On the rotating base of such a nozzle, a chain is stretched, used on chain saws. In this case, the fit of the chain on the wheel is not fixed, which reduces the risk of handling the tool. That is, even if the chain flies from the circle during operation, the circle itself will not break and fly apart, as can happen with other models.
Also worth noting are discs with a small and a large number of teeth. In this case, their number will depend on the diameter of the circle. Small discs (up to 150 mm) have 3 teeth. Larger discs have 4 teeth. For woodworking, it is advisable to use discs with a small diameter, that is, with 3 teeth. Large discs are usually used by specialists for processing large workpieces. Small discs are suitable for standard household work. In general, such attachments do a very good job with sawing wood blanks.
Separately, it is necessary to talk about discs made of a special material. tungsten carbide. They are relatively new, but thanks to them it became possible to cut wood with an angle grinder. Externally, the nozzle is a circle divided into cutting segments. That is, the teeth themselves are absent on such a circle. The big advantage of this type of wheels is their high strength. The disc easily cuts wood of any strength, and even the presence of nails or other metal products in the workpiece will not interfere with its work. a tungsten carbide wheel also cuts small metal parts. The cost of such a nozzle for cutting wood is much higher than that of the previous options, but safety and high quality of work with this disc are guaranteed.
The next category of wheel models for an angle grinder is roughing. These nozzles are designed for processing on the surface of the workpiece. For example, to remove bark, remove large amounts of dirt or level the workpiece. The processing operations themselves are much safer than cutting wood. Therefore, an angle grinder for woodworking can be safely used, but do not forget about special attachments. It is customary to distinguish several types of roughing nozzles. Among them are roughing discs with spikes or abrasive grit. Abrasive cutters come in a variety of sizes. Thanks to them, you can grind the workpiece from the end or remove the top layers.
Also to the roughing options of nozzles are discs with twisted wire. They are sometimes called “cord brushes”. These attachments can be of two types. The first looks like a cup with a wire attached to it, and the second is a disc with a wire around the edges. With these devices it is convenient to remove old paint, rust, etc. from the surface of the workpiece. Also, circles with twisted wire are used to brush the surface of a tree. This is done to give the surface an antique look. By themselves, the nozzles with wire are a disk planer, because they perform essentially the same functions.
Among the peeling nozzles, petal circles are distinguished. Such a scraper disc has several layers of sandpaper or other abrasive tape on its surface. It is important to take into account such an indicator as the grit size of the sandpaper. For roughing it is worth using wheels with coarse sandpaper. It is worth working with such a circle carefully, as you can easily damage the surface. For a more delicate and soft finish, use medium to fine sandpaper.
Also, modern manufacturers offer sticky discs on the market. This is a fairly new model of accessory used for woodworking. The essence of this circle is the presence of Velcro on it, on which you can fix a peeling tape of any grain size. This version of the attachment is universal, because Velcro can also be used to put materials for processing metal or other surfaces.
The next category of attachments is used for polishing or sanding wood surfaces.
For sanding, the same Velcro discs or fine-grain petal attachments are perfect. For soft processing and polishing of the wood surface, use felt-coated nozzles. That is, such discs are a rotating circle on which there is densely compressed wool. Also, these models can be fine-haired, coarse-haired or universal. semi-coarse-haired.
These attachments perfectly polish wooden surfaces without leaving any damage.
Recommendations for use
Even professionals are not insured against accidents. Maybe that’s why they became professionals, because they followed safe work techniques? This is the main component of any work.
- When working with the grinder, you must wear protective goggles or a mask, and work in protective clothing.
- It is highly discouraged to work with a damaged attachment.
- Hold the angle grinder strictly with both hands.
- Do not work in high humidity conditions. After all, the angle grinder is powered by the mains, and electricity and water are a pretty bad combination.
- Before starting work, check the insulation of the wire on the tool.
- Remove flammable materials and flammable liquids from the work area.
- Only work with the protective cover on the tool.
- It is advisable to wear a respirator, since a large amount of dust is generated during the processing of the material.
There are officially established requirements for labor protection when working with an angle grinder. Before starting work, it is advisable to carefully read them. Below are the main criteria for admission to work with an angle grinder.
- An employee must be at least 18 years old who has undergone medical examinations, introductory instructions and appropriate training to work with the tool. An important criterion for an employee is knowledge of first aid.
- Before starting work, it is extremely important to securely fasten the workpiece to be machined. No need to try to hold it with one hand and the angle grinder with the other. You can use a vise for this. It is extremely important to remember that the material should not have bends in the cutting or processing area.
- It is necessary to ensure that the cord from the device is outside the processing area so as not to accidentally cut it. Whenever possible, stand so that sparks or dust do not fall on clothing and face.
- When working with an angle grinder, it is recommended to use a special construction vacuum cleaner. This device removes dust from the workplace. Some angle grinders are equipped with special dust collectors. After work, the tool itself must be cleaned of dust by wiping with a slightly damp cloth, and then dry. The ingress of moisture inside the device is unacceptable.
- The angle grinder should be guided over the workpiece strictly in the direction of rotation of the wheel. Also, place the angle grinder on the floor or other surfaces only after the disc rotation has completely stopped.
- Do not start cutting with old paint or a large layer of dirt. First, you should carefully grind the surface, and then start cutting.
- Use an angle grinder only on dry wood. Do not use raw material. You need to wait until it is completely dry.
- Do not start work with voltage drops in the network.
- When turning on the angle grinder, wait a few seconds for the tool to reach full speed.
- It is not recommended to stand in the direction of travel of the angle grinder. If possible, it is worth taking a stable position slightly to the side.
When working with some attachments, it is also necessary to follow certain recommendations.
- For rough and surface treatment of the material, use a cord brush. With it, you can also set the desired shape for the product. For coarse cutting or sawing, discs with chains can be used.
- For bevel cuts, it is recommended to use end discs.
- With felt discs, you can achieve the smoothest possible surface. They are best used for treating future flooring.
- Also, with circles on wood on an angle grinder, you can carry out milling operations.
Cutting a simple groove with an angle grinder is pretty easy. But for more complex grooves and slots, a special machine is needed.
- If it becomes necessary to remove the protective cover, then this is done quite simply. In general, it is absolutely impossible to remove the cover when cutting any material. This is the only protection between the hand and the disc, which rotates at up to 11 thousand rpm. But when sanding or scraping, the shroud can sometimes get in the way. On some grinders, the casing is attached with several screws that must be unscrewed. And some angle grinders have a special latch that you need to unfasten and rotate the cover along the groove until it comes off.
- When working, you should take into account such an indicator as the cutting depth of the material. If you have to cut a thick workpiece, that is, a deep cut is required, then it is not recommended to use an angle grinder. For this, it is better to use special saws or machines. angle grinders with wood attachments are usually designed for shallow cuts, grooving, etc.
- Wood is a heterogeneous material. You need to work on wood with various attachments. Therefore, it is recommended to purchase several different cutting blades to carry out different operations depending on the material.
- Do not over-press the angle grinder. The speed of rotation of the disc is very high, so the tool will cope with the cut independently and without unnecessary pressure. The disc can be skewed under heavy load.
- From time to time there is a need to change the attachments. This may be due to a breakdown of the disk or the need to replace it with another one to carry out new work. But sometimes it happens that the holding nut on the angle grinder clamps very tightly and it is almost impossible to unscrew it. To do this, you can take a few simple steps. Take a blunt object and hit the disc in the direction of rotation of the angle grinder.
Usually such a rough combination helps, and the nut looses easily. If the disc is already damaged and it is not a pity to throw it away, then you can break it as close to the center as possible with pliers.
On some types of angle grinder there is a special button with which you can remove the disc without using a key. The digger is clamped and the disc rotates manually in the direction of travel. Then the nozzle is simply removed and the disc can be changed. In general, in order to avoid unnecessary clamping of the nut, you can use a little trick. put a piece of thick paper or cardboard between the nut and the disk. In this case, the nut does not grip the disc too tightly and it can be unscrewed without much effort.
Thus, the answer to the question whether it is possible to use an angle grinder for wood processing is positive, but with the condition that a specially designed attachment will be used on the angle grinder. Metal discs are categorically unsuitable for woodworking. Therefore, once again it is better to check with the seller for what kind of material this or that disc is intended.
In the next video, you will find a wood disc test for an angle grinder.
Discs for angle grinder for wood: 2 Комментарии и мнения владельцев
People, do not put the circular tooth disc on the angle grinder. It is extremely dangerous if the angle grinder bites and rips out of the hands, cuts to the bone, it is unrealistic to react and prevent this.
Do not place discs on an angle grinder at all and do not take an angle grinder in your hands if your hands are not out of your shoulders.
The angle grinder is one of the most popular tools for cutting metal and other materials. It is quite simple to use it, it is easy to change the cutting angle, does not take up much space, you can change the nozzles depending on what kind of raw material is to be processed. If you adhere to safety rules when using, then the likelihood of injury is minimal.
However, many users are wondering if the angle grinder is as versatile as it is believed to be. Is it possible to use an angle grinder to add wood. to cut boards, blocks or chipboard with it? It is impossible to answer unequivocally “yes” or “no”. In theory, a grinder can have a wood cutting attachment, but in practice it turns out that such manipulations can lead not only to tool breakage, but also to serious injury to the master. Let’s take a closer look at why this happens, and how to protect yourself from disastrous consequences.
Basic safety instructions
Finally, consider the basic safety rules for working with an angle grinder:
- Only quality tools should be used for woodworking. If cheap Chinese angle grinders are still suitable for metal processing, then using them on wood is strictly prohibited.
- Angle Grinder Operating Instructions Avoid Excessive Force.
- It is necessary to hold the tool in your hands very firmly and at the same time move it smoothly over the work surface. Otherwise, the angle grinder can also be pulled out of the hands, which will lead to dire consequences.
- Disconnect the power from the tool before replacing the accessory.
- When purchasing a wheel for an angle grinder for wood, you need to pay attention to the maximum number of revolutions for which it is designed. This indicator should match the characteristics of the grinder itself.
- All attachments can only be used strictly for their intended purpose.
These are, perhaps, all the main points that must be strictly observed when working with this tool.
Cutting wood with an Makita angle grinder and saw blade
Performed by an angle grinder with wood attachments. The milling wheels cut grooves of different widths in the workpiece. The size depends on the thickness of the nozzle. A perfectly straight cut, like on a machine, will not work out overnight. But cutting out a simple seat or tongue groove will not be a big problem.
There are solid and integral milling bits. Compound wheels make a wider cut.
This is a rough job in wood and a wood angle grinder disc is suitable. There are two types of factory-made nozzles for this type of work.
- The disk is a plane. Practical attachment for the initial processing of logs and rough edges. It is massive, durable, equipped with three knives. With its help, the tree is cleared of bark. For work, it is not necessary to install a protective cover, since the thick cut-off wheel will not collapse.
- Rough. It consists of a metal base and a chain for a chainsaw, with which its outer part is trimmed. This structure allows for rough cleaning of wooden blanks from bark, leveling cracks and chips. Rough chain wheel suitable for cutting wood.
How to use an angle sander for woodworking correctly?
If, nevertheless, the master is confident in his qualifications, level of training and experience has decided to process the tree with an angle grinder, then the work should be done only in compliance with all safety rules:
- work should only be carried out in protective clothing, goggles and special gloves. In the event of force majeure, proper equipment will provide protection against possible injury from the power tool;
- under no circumstances should the protective cover be removed. You should also make sure that it is fixed firmly;
- work should be done at no more than 5000 rpm. It is with these speeds that most circular saws work. If the tool does not have the function of adjusting the speed, then it is better to refuse the idea of processing wood with an angle grinder;
- it is better to choose discs with small teeth for work. The larger the teeth, the higher the likelihood that there will be a snag in the wood, which can lead to the disc break;
- work should only be done at right angles. The slightest tilt to the side increases the likelihood of injury at times;
- Ideally, for maximum safety, it is best to secure the tool to a special attachment. In this case, the operation of the angle grinder will be as controlled as possible.
If the master is not sure of his skills and knowledge, it is wiser to refuse wood processing with an angle grinder altogether. There are special power tools for cutting chipboard, wooden beams, logs.
DIY wall chaser from an angle grinder
The angle grinder can be used to cut cuts in the wall. They are made so that wiring, pipes and other elements can be laid in them. When working with a stock angle grinder, it is very difficult to control the immersion depth of the disc. To solve this problem, you can make a special frame.
It’s important to know! Such a device for an angle grinder has an important advantage, as it allows you to adjust the depth of the groove to be performed.
Such a frame is a sole with a stop, by means of which it is possible to move the tool along the wall with a uniform deepening, thereby obtaining a groove of the required depth. When making such a wall chaser, pay attention to a protective cover and a special dust collector. You can use a bag as a dust collector, but it is more convenient to connect a hose from a vacuum cleaner. With its help, dust will be sucked out, making such work much more pleasant and dust-free.
Angle Grinder Attachments: Tool Improvement
The angle grinder has become widespread due to its variety of functionality. This type of tool is versatile, as it is capable of performing such work as cutting, grinding, stripping. The functionality of this tool can be expanded, but this will require some adaptations. These are such devices for an angle grinder, which will make it possible to make a milling machine, a wall chaser, a cutting machine and others from a tool.
About homemade dust collector
A dust container or cover for an angle grinder can be made from an old aluminum pan, thin pieces of metal, or a plastic canister. The casing will be more reliable from the pan, but at the same time the plastic structure is much easier to make.
For the construction of a dust collection hood, a galvanized sheet is also suitable, which should be welded based on the dimensions of the existing tool. An important condition is the reliability of fastening such a homemade product to an angle grinder. In addition, the hole for collecting dust can be made with the most convenient angle of inclination, unlike purchased dust collectors.
Circular from an angle grinder
An angle grinder can be used to make a circular saw for working with wood. To do this, you will need to make a reliable bed or base, to which the tool will be attached.
It’s important to know! Woodworking discs should only be of proper quality. The absence of at least one tooth prohibits the use of a blade for cutting wood.
If, in the manufacture of a cutting machine, the cutting tool must be above the work table, then when designing a milling unit and a circular, the opposite is true. The angle grinder should be placed under the table top, from which a certain part of the disc exits through the corresponding hole. In addition, a ruler can be screwed to the tabletop, with the help of which a more accurate sawing of wood will be carried out.
Do-it-yourself pendulum cutting machine
For the manufacture of such adaptations from an angle grinder, such as a pendulum cut-off machine, it will be necessary to ensure the automatic return of the moving console to the reverse position. This is achieved by installing a special spring, rubber band or counterweight, which will automatically return the used angle grinder to its original position.
The production technology of such a machine is almost identical to the previous one. The difference lies in the addition of an auto-return mechanism of the moving part, on which the angle grinder is fixed. Thus, human labor is facilitated.
Angle Grinder Stand
Such a device for an angle grinder, like a stand, is not difficult to make with your own hands. Its manufacture will allow you to use the tool to perform more accurate sawing work on various types of materials. When making a cutting machine, you must perform the following tasks:
- Reliability of tool clamping.
- Reliable fixation of the tool in the upper position.
- Ensuring minimal deviations from the cutting plane.
Threaded connections are well suited to securely holding the angle grinder. Additionally, you should also worry about safety, so the tool should be equipped with a homemade casing.
For grinders for circles with a diameter of 115 mm to 150 mm, it is possible to attach them to the rack using clamps. Tools for a circle diameter over 150 mm must be securely fastened not only to the moving console, but also to the work table or bed. To reduce vibrations and increase cutting accuracy, it is recommended that the bed be rigidly fixed to a workbench or other base. Below is another version of the stand with a fixed angle grinder.
What you need to make homemade angle grinder attachments
To make any device for an angle grinder with your own hands, you first need to decide on what materials for manufacturing are available. You should also decide what exactly should be made: a milling or cutting machine, a chasing cutter or a dust collector for working with a tool indoors.
For the manufacture of such devices, there is usually no need to buy additional materials or parts, since absolutely any simple materials at hand will do. For the manufacture of some devices, for example, a dust collector casing, it is enough to use a plastic canister of oil or brake fluid. Using a tin can, you can design a hand mill for making coarse flour.
It’s important to know! Getting started, decide what exactly you want to get out of the angle grinder in the end. After all, such a design must be necessary, and of course reliable.
Router from an angle grinder
The angle grinder can also be used as a router. It is important to take into account the fact that the tool must be able to be removed from a homemade device. To make such a structure, you will need to fix an angle grinder under the made table (or workbench), and bring the tool shaft into the hole of the workbench using an adapter with a collet clamp for milling cutters. With the manufactured tool, you can carry out various woodwork, depending on the cutter used.