Booth For The Dog With Their Own Hands Building A Frame Insulated Structure
Many in childhood dream to have a dog. But there is not enough space for her in a city apartment, but a country house gives the opportunity to finally make children’s dreams come true. It will be spacious enough even for a large dog. The dog who will live here will become not only the guard and reliable protection of the site. He will be a true friend. The main advantage of a dog is that it loves its owner as he is, without demanding rewards for his affection. But friendship involves mutual care and attention. A good owner will not leave his loyal dog without a comfortable home. A dog box with your own hands is the most faithful way to take care of your friend.
How to choose the right place?
As well as for the guard post, the place for the booth should be carefully chosen:
- A kennel should not be blown by the wind, so the most frequent direction of the wind must be taken into account.
- The place for such a dwelling should be bright, but within reach of the dog there should be a shaded area where the animal could hide in the heat.
- It is better to place the box in a dry place – on a hill, so that water cannot accumulate under it.
- The kennel is located near the entrance to the apartment building, on the south side.
- From his observation post, the dog must see the main part of the site and the entrance gate (gate).
The last principle of choosing a place requires special explanation. The owners of dogs whose pets live in urban apartments with them know that the dog is always trying to find the position in which he has the maximum visibility. Even if it sometimes interferes with the owner, who believes that the dog is just under his feet. Centuries-old guardian instinct makes her choose the best place to protect the owner.
Booth is better to have in a dry place and on a hill
From his observation post, the dog must see the main part of the site.
Stages of building a doghouse
Winter warm dog house is not always needed, even if it will be on the site in the winter. It is better to make a universal kennel, which can be operated in the warm and in the cold season. Such a booth should consist of two parts – a vestibule for entry and a berth where no cold will be terrible for a dog.
Preparation of the necessary material
When deciding how to make a dog house, do not complicate your life and your faithful dog. It follows from his understanding of comfort, and not your vast material possibilities. Stone palaces, artificial lighting and vinyl siding dogs are not needed.
Particularly loving owners build entire castles for their pets.
The animal will experience discomfort in such dwellings.
There should be no protruding knots or protruding slivers on the surface of the tree.
Ordinary softwood is the best material for a dog house. It is breathing wood that can provide the air circulation necessary for the dog and, therefore, the microclimate he needs. The tree that forms the basis of the booth must first be prepared: cleaned up so that the animal does not hurt itself and doesn’t throw its paws.
Note that the service life of coniferous wood is 7-8 years. After this period, it is necessary to check the structure for durability and replace the failed elements in time.
For construction may require:
- bars of the following sizes (in mm): 100×100, 40×40, 100×50;
- decorative slats;
- mineral wool or foam;
- galvanized nails;
- antiseptic impregnation type "Senezh";
Inside, the booth does not need to be treated with antiseptics and other odorous substances. Remember that dogs have a finer scent than humans. For us, the odor may be imperceptible, and the dog he will torment and annoy.
Determination of construction parameters
Of great importance are the size of the dog booths. In a too spacious kennel it will be cold in the winter, and in close – neither lie down nor turn around. Therefore, we will build a kennel, based on the individual parameters of our dog.
For each dog it is better to make an individual “cut” box – it is necessary to calculate the optimal dimensions.
We take our measurements and immediately do the calculation:
- The height of the booth is determined based on the height of the animal at the withers with the addition of the thickness of the intended litter and another 10-15 cm. The dog should move along the booth with its head bent and sit in it without touching the ceiling.
- The depth of the kennel should allow the animal to lie on its side, stretching out its paws. To determine this parameter, you need to put the dog and measure the distance from its withers to the tips of the front paws, add 10-15 cm.
- The width of the dwelling is the cumulative width of the tambour and the dog’s sleeping place A berth may have a width that is 10-15 cm longer than the distance from the nose of the dog to the base of its tail. The width of the vestibule is determined depending on the build of the dog. She should be comfortable and enter the booth, and get out of it. Sometimes the vestibule makes more bed, because here the dog in summer can lie on its side, and in winter it will rest on the bed, curled up.
- The height of the entrance hole (manhole) is less than the height of the dog at the withers by 5-9 cm.
- The width of the manhole should be 5-8 cm wider than the dog’s chest.
The dog house scheme is needed after the owner has finally decided on the parameters of the future construction. Having such a drawing, it will be easier to calculate the need for materials, so as not to buy anything extra
Description of the assembly process
So, to put together a dog house is not so difficult if all the necessary tools and material are at hand. Here is an approximate list of works:
- Bottom and frame. We assemble the frame for the bottom from 40×40 bars, after which we nail the floorboards, trying not to leave any gaps so that it is warmer. If the dog is heavy, you can additionally strengthen the floor with 40×40 bars so that it does not sag. At the corners of the finished bottom vertically we fix the bars 100×100. They will be the basis for the walls. Now the design resembles an inverted table. Between the main bars perpendicular to the bottom set bars 40×40. They will support the roof, reinforce the walls and mark the entrance.
- Walls. For lining the outer part of the booth it is better to use the paneling, which, unlike plywood, will not stratify with time. We fix the trim with galvanized nails with small caps.
- Ceiling. If the booth is to be located in an open-air cage or under a canopy, then you can get by with a ceiling that is also a roof. If there is no additional weather protection for the kennel, you need to make the ceiling and the roof separately, leaving space between them – the "attic". For the ceiling, you will need plywood in size and 40×40 bars. How to insulate a dog house? Warm it with mineral wool or polyfoam, lay plexiglass. From above strengthen the second sheet of plywood. It is better to make such a ceiling removable in order to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary assistance to the animal. If there is no additional roof, the ceiling is covered with roofing felt and shingles.
- Waterproofing and insulation. Turn the design upside down. We process it with antiseptic impregnation, cover it with roofing felt and beat on top of it additional bars 100×50, which are also impregnated with “Senege”. Again we overturn the construction, we line the bottom with asphalt, then we put the insulation and again the asphalt. We lay a fair floor. Similarly, we warm the walls and sheathe them inside the clapboard. We make a frame for the manhole and the threshold.
- Roof. Initially done roof gables. For the perimeter, 40×40 bars are needed, glassine is attached from the inside, and the structure is sheathed from above with clapboard.
- Laz. The inlet is recommended to close the curtain of tarpaulin. So that it does not open from the wind, it is possible to sew small pockets of polyethylene on it from the inside, into which sand is poured.
Outside the booth can be covered with pinotex. This will extend its service life and give the product a pleasant aesthetic look.
It is simply necessary to use antiseptic and waterproofing impregnations, otherwise your booth will have to be rebuilt in a year
You can use glassine as a heater, and you can use any other material that you prefer.
Crate of lining covered with roofing felt and shingles – this is the easiest and cheapest option
Care for dog kennel
Now that we know how to build a dog house, all that remains is to figure out how to care for this dwelling.
The ceiling can be made removable to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary care to the animal.
Cleaning in the kennel should be done regularly: at least once a month. Disinfection of the booth should be carried out in the summer every month, and in the spring and in the winter – once a season. It is necessary to remove scraps, bones and other similar items, to treat the parasite booth with Lysol, formalin or 3% creolin. Before drying, the dog should not enter the booth.