Chain Replacement On A Chainsaw
expensive models are equipped with easy-to-use devices that allow you to tension the chain with one movement of the lever or by turning the adjusting disc.
In the first case, the degree of tension is fixed with a locknut, in the second, the tire and the chain tensioner are locked in a given position by installing the cover. In both versions, reliable fixation of the chain in a given position is guaranteed, the possibility of compensating for its extension with minimal loss of working time.
The chain and the bar are included in the list of interchangeable equipment, so the sawyer, depending on the peculiarities of the work, can use several sets of different lengths and productivity. Average service life of wear-resistant branded tires allows the service life of three saw chains.
The cutting edges of the saw chain links need to be sharpened periodically. The indisputable advantages of using a set of several chains are uniform wear of the drive sprocket and good compatibility with the chains included in the additional set.
Dull cutting edges of the saw chain appear:
- A noticeable decrease in productivity;
- Ejection of small chips;
- The appearance of a characteristic smell of burnt wood.
In the simplest version, it is a holder mounted on a rail complete with a set of special files, in the other. a sharpener with a power drive. Both technologies have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Low-performance and time-consuming manual chain sharpening helps to preserve its resource. The mechanized method provides good performance, but the lack of an individual approach to each cutting link of the chain negatively affects its durability.
It is not technically difficult to change the chain of a household and professional chainsaw on your own. The key to the successful implementation of the adjustment work will be strict adherence to the recommendations of the attached instructions.
Due to the thermal expansion of the metal, the chain is installed on the chainsaw and the subsequent adjustment is made only on a cold tire.
- In the classic solution, the technology provides for the inclusion of a lock against accidental engine start, unscrewing the threaded fasteners, dismantling the tire and cleaning the guide groove from sawdust.
- Next, you should make sure that the dimensions of the shanks correspond to the width of the groove, determine which side to put the chain on the chainsaw, fix the tire and adjust the chain in the sequence indicated by the instructions.
- Before putting the chain on the chainsaw, you should make sure that the direction of the chain on the chainsaw meets the stated requirements, and that the chain tensioner has sufficient free play.
After adjusting the new chain, it is recommended to run the saw at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, then check the chain tension again. This moment can be combined with visual inspection of the lubrication system.
To check the degree of tension, it is enough to pull the chain in the middle of the tire, the output of the link shanks is allowed no more than 2/3.
- A properly adjusted chain should not stick when manually moving along the bar.
- Creak and other extraneous noises in the area of the leading sprocket are also excluded.
- After running the chain, it is necessary to check the tightness of the threaded fasteners of the bar and the protective cover.
After long-term operation, the chain is not tensioned due to the lack of adjustment travel of the tensioning mechanism. The design of the chain allows its length to be reduced by removing several links. On the other hand, such savings results in a loss of chain smoothness and forced wear of the groove of the tire and the crown of the drive sprocket.
With proper care, any chainsaw can last for a long time, while demonstrating excellent performance.
If, on the contrary, do not take proper care of the tool and do not adhere to the rules of safe operation, then this will significantly reduce its service life and lead to early failure.
One of the most important aspects of proper maintenance is the maintenance of the chainsaw chain. You need to know exactly how to pull the chain on the chainsaw, how to sharpen and lubricate it correctly. It is also very important to have a sufficient understanding of its characteristics. This knowledge can be very useful if you have to choose a new chain.
However, it is also undesirable for the chain to be too tight. This can also have negative consequences in the form of an increase in the load on the engine, which in the future will lead to its early failure and a reduction in the overall service life of the chainsaw. The chain has one very important property: it fixes the tire, which prevents its arbitrary movement.
Therefore, you need to pay special attention to the care of the chain.
Chain failure is not uncommon, so before you wonder how to tighten the chain on a chainsaw correctly, you need to know which chain is suitable for a given model of chainsaw. The main criterion for choosing is its step. It is customary to call a step the distance between its teeth.
This distance is chosen between its nearest teeth and is measured in inches. The most common are 0.325, 0.375, and 0.404 inches. Information about the step can be found in the operating instructions for a specific model of chainsaw, and it depends primarily on the purpose of the tool.
Each saw has its own specific step, the only exceptions are professional tools that are universal. The chain pitch also depends on the engine power.
The more powerful the chainsaw, the larger its step and the more difficult it is to hold it while working. For example, the compact low-power Patriot chainsaw has a pitch of 0.325. However, there are also more powerful models.
Normal operation of the chainsaw causes vibrations that can significantly loosen the tension on the chain with blades or nuts used to secure it.
The chain stretches during heavy use and does not fit well on the saw teeth, which can create unsafe conditions for the operator. Proper tool operation includes checking all nuts and bolts before and during use to ensure safety.
In any case, the main prerequisite for replacing a sprocket is the wear of its teeth by the chain. In this case, when a solid drum is installed in the device, the surface of the chain cuts through it almost completely, which requires a complete replacement of the entire part. If the chainsaw has a drum with a replaceable crown, then you can limit yourself only to changing the crown.
Usually, in order to remove an asterisk from a chainsaw, many people turn to special service centers, but if there is a need to save a home budget, this work can be done without the help of others. This activity does not look complicated, but it requires all the necessary parts and tools. The process of replacing the asterisk is similar for any device model.
Chainsaw chain replacement
We quickly change the chain on the chainsaw, tips for installing the chain and tensioning the tire, how to extend the service life.
How to tension the chain on a chainsaw: installation and correct operation
How should the chain be tensioned on a chainsaw? You can find this by raising it up. Normally, the shank should be one third immersed in the groove. If it came out completely, then the chain must be tightened, if it got out less than 2-thirds, then loosened. When scrolling, the links must pass freely along the tire.
This element of the sawing mechanism is used in conditions of high variable loads, therefore, it requires constant monitoring during operation. A characteristic feature of operated saw chains is an increase in size due to the formation of gaps in the joints of the links.
Accelerated elongation of the part occurs during the running-in phase and in the last quarter of the service life. During these time slots, the headset needs special attention and careful maintenance.
- The reason for the rapid stretching of the saw chain can be the poor quality of the material of the budget model, the mismatch of the configuration of the crown and excessive wear of the drive sprocket, a malfunction or ineffective operation of the lubrication system.
- The full operation of the chainsaw chain also largely depends on the condition of the tire and the drive sprocket, the quality of the chain oil and the performance of the lubrication system, the timely and competent sharpening of the edges of the cutting links.
According to professional sawers, the operator’s style of work and the level of operational stress affect the durability of the headset. The chains of the budget group are more susceptible to stretching; the more expensive branded assortment has no comments on technical and operational properties.
Checking the condition and tension of the chain is included in the mandatory list of preparatory work.
It depends on how much you manage to put the chain correctly:
- The duration of its subsequent operation;
- Safety of cutting operations of increased complexity;
- Resource of the engine and chainsaw in general.
A loose chain can fly off the bar or break. The formation of traumatic moments is partially or completely eliminated by emergency stop systems and catchers, which allow, with more or less success, to unravel the chainsaw chain and determine its suitability for subsequent operation.
Installing a part with damaged or deformed links can lead to uneven wear of the tire guide groove and other undesirable consequences.
Chainsaw chain replacement
Here you should purchase a special repair kit, which provides for the presence of both a drive sprocket and a bearing. Then you should prepare the tool and parts that will be required for the work:
- Universal wrench, sold with the chainsaw;
- Mechanism piston stopper (plastic or metal in standard versions);
- Centrifugal mechanism or clutch puller (selected depending on the model of the chainsaw).
Chainsaw sprocket location diagram.
- First, the saw headset is removed, the tire cover nuts are unscrewed with a universal wrench. The cover is removed, the bar and chain are removed.
- After that, the air filter is removed.
- The saw candle is unscrewed with the universal key. Instead, a prepared piston stopper is inserted, which will allow fixing the position of the piston in the cylinder.
- The clutch remover fits into the universal key socket. Then, using the resulting device, the clutch is unscrewed. All actions must be carried out clockwise.
- The clutch is removed, freeing access to the internal parts. Now you can remove the sprocket (clutch drum).
- Depending on the type of drum, it is inspected or the crown is checked. The asterisk or crown is replaced with new ones. When installing new parts, the condition of the clutch separator must be carefully checked. Particular attention must be paid here to the springs of the centrifugal mechanism and the cams. If severe wear is detected, these parts also need to be replaced.
- If the condition of the parts does not cause any complaints, all parts of the chainsaw are assembled in reverse order. First of all, the piston stopper is unscrewed, the starter cord is pulled out, then the stopper is screwed in again. Such complex actions allow you to clamp the centrifugal mechanism of the chainsaw on the crankshaft.
- Using a standard universal key, the clutch is clamped counterclockwise, that is, against the rotation of the chain.
- After that, all nodes and parts can be successfully screwed into their original places.
In order to replace the sprocket on a chainsaw, all work must be done carefully and carefully.
Without special tools, repair work can end in failure: not only the star or centrifugal mechanism, but also the saw chain can break.
As can be seen from the information provided, the question of how to remove the sprocket from the saw can be successfully solved on our own. Once performed, the operation will allow it to be carried out again and again, as soon as the need arises, and attention and accuracy will be the key to a well-done work.
Fuel supply system repair
Fuel may not enter the cylinder for the following reasons:
- Dirty fuel filter. Remove the fuel hose and check how the fuel flows. If the jet is weak, the filter may need to be cleaned. It is taken out through the filler hole of the fuel tank and cleaned; in case of severe contamination, it is replaced with a new one. As a preventive measure, it is recommended to replace the fuel filter every three months.
- Clogged breather (holes in the fuel tank cap). Check also by disconnecting the hose, in case of blockage, clean with a needle.
- Lack or insufficient fuel. There may be several reasons for the malfunction. The first reason is a clogged air filter. Air ceases to flow into the carburetor in the right amount, in this regard, due to a too rich fuel mixture, the engine’s operation is disrupted. The contaminated filter is carefully removed, cleaned and washed in water, then dried and reinstalled.
Another reason is improper adjustment of the carburetor. Adjustment is made with three screws.
Timely replacement of the fuel filter ensures full fuel supply
The fuel hose and choke actuator must fit snugly against the fittings
The throttle cable must be in place
During work, you must use the instructions, otherwise you can only make it worse.
And the last reason is a violation of the integrity of the membrane or clogging of the carburetor channels.
To repair the carburetor yourself, you need to get acquainted with all its parts.
All parts must be clean, dry and in good condition.
Assessment of the state of the cylinder-piston group
Often the engine will not start or run at full strength due to low cylinder pressure. It can be caused by piston or cylinder wear, piston ring sinking, bearing wear. You can partially examine the state of the cylinder-piston group (CPG) by removing the muffler and looking into the opened hole.
A compressor placed in the spark plug hole will help to measure the compression in the engine. according to the measurement results, you can also talk about the state of the CPG. Accurate data is obtained only after the complete disassembly of the mechanism. If the piston is chipped or scratched, it must be replaced. The piston ring must be clean, free of carbon deposits, and be exactly in its place.
Piston and crank mechanism wear is considered a serious problem.
According to the results of measuring the compression, one can judge the condition of the parts of the CPG
Constructive components of the chainsaw
All chainsaws are similar in structure, regardless of whether they are European (ECHO, Stihl, Husqvarna) or domestic (Kedr, Ural). The main elements are located inside the body. the fuel tank and the engine, and outside the starter, the handle, the saw part (tire) with the chain. A sharp jerk of the cable starts the engine, and that one. the saw blade.
To begin with, we suggest you familiarize yourself with the rollers, which show how the chainsaw works and how it works:
From time to time, the saw malfunctions, which require disassembly to eliminate. What can happen to such a simple mechanism as a chainsaw? At least the following:
- Ceases to start;
- Starts up, but soon stops;
- Ceases to function in the cut;
- Loses its power;
Most of the malfunctions are associated either with interruptions in the operation of the engine (fuel supply system, exhaust system, ignition, cylinder-piston part), or with malfunctions of other systems and assemblies (clutch, chain brake, tire, lubrication system). Consider the most common breakdowns and techniques for their elimination.
A serviceable chainsaw starts with one jerk and does not fail in the cut
Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: analysis of major breakdowns and methods of their elimination
It would seem, why does a chainsaw need a summer resident who grows vegetables and fruits, or a country house owner who has a small garden and several flower beds? The question disappears when there is a desire to build a bathhouse, update a greenhouse, knock down an old business, or just make a bench for relaxation. Unfortunately, any mechanism periodically needs preventive maintenance and replacement of spare parts, and for this you need to be well versed in the device of the product, in addition, repairing the chainsaw with your own hands will save time and money.
Dismantling and cleaning the muffler
If the engine works fine at low speeds, and at high speeds it starts to stall, the reason may lie in the spark arrester of the muffler, clogged with combustion products.
- Remove the muffler;
- Disassemble (there are also non-separable models);
- Remove carbon deposits using detergents;
- Dry with a hair dryer;
Dry cleaning is unacceptable, as the soot contains carcinogens, the inhalation of which is dangerous to health. After removing the muffler, the outlet is closed with a clean cloth.
Interruptions in the operation of the chainsaw signal a possible clogging of the muffler
To prevent the muffler from clogging, it is necessary to monitor the composition of the fuel mixture. The amount of oil should not exceed the rates recommended by the manufacturer. Poor oil quality also negatively affects engine performance.
Checking the ignition system
The first thing to do if a chainsaw breaks down is to inspect the spark plug by disconnecting the wire and carefully unscrewing it with a special key.
The components of the chainsaw ignition system: 1. flywheel with magnets, 2. ignition module, 3. candle, 4. high voltage wire
Unscrew the spark plug to check its condition.
Her appearance says a lot:
- Dry. Most likely, the fuel mixture does not enter the cylinder. It’s not about the ignition system, so the plug is screwed back.
- Strongly splashed with fuel. The reason for the excess fuel mixture lies either in the violation of the starting rules, or in the incorrect adjustment of the carburetor. Carefully wipe the spark plug, shut off the fuel supply and turn on the starter. to remove excess fuel and ventilate the combustion chamber. Then the candle is placed in place and the mechanism is started again.
- Covered with black carbon. This may indicate the use of low-quality oil, an incorrectly adjusted carburetor, or an incorrectly calculated gasoline to oil ratio. The candle should be washed, cleaned of carbon deposits with a sharp object (awl or needle), wipe the electrodes with a sandpaper and put in place.
When checking the candle, you need to pay attention to the gap between the electrodes: it is considered normal from 0.5 to 0.65 mm. A damaged or worn gasket must be replaced.
A large amount of black carbon on the spark plug indicates an engine malfunction.
To be sure, you should also check for a spark. To do this, put the ignition cable on the spark plug, connect the plug nut and the cylinder with pliers, start the starter and watch for the spark. If it is missing, the plug must be replaced. If the new candle also does not emit sparks, the problem is in the high-voltage wire or in the broken connection with the candle.