Chainsaw Carburetor Adjustment Champion
Chainsaw Carburetor Adjustment
Chainsaw carburetor adjustment 254 own hands. Initial carburetor adjustment.
The volume of the oil tank is 0.21 liters, the fuel tank is 0.31. Saw chain 3/8 ” pitch, 1.3mm riveting link width, 56 links length. The saw weight is 4.5 kg.
With its own net weight of 5.3 kg, the chain saw is very moderate in size. The tight arrangement of the internal equipment and gasoline-oil tanks does not exclude free and convenient access to the filler caps and the air intake of the power unit.
The tool is equipped with a standard carburetor internal combustion engine, with a working volume of 49.2 cm3 and a power at maximum speed of up to 3 hp. The power unit runs on a mixture of standard motor gasoline with a semi-synthetic engine oil designed for high-speed two-stroke engines.
Thanks to the powerful and durable standard engine, the Champion chainsaw in the 137th modification received solid factory parameters.
- Gasoline engine power. 1.4 kW / 2 hp. FROM.;
- The speed of rotation of the crankshaft at idle / maximum speed. 3000/13000 rpm;
- The tire length recommended by the manufacturer is 35–40 cm;
- The pitch of the chain used for cutting is 3/8 ";
- Weight in ready-to-use form. 4.5 kg.
The Champion chain saw comes with a redesigned muffler to reduce operator noise. When operating at maximum engine speed, this parameter of the model is 100 dB.
Model features include:
- The power of the gasoline engine is 2.5 liters. FROM.;
- The volume of the cylinder is 41.5 cm 3;
- Maximum crankshaft rotation speed. 12,500 rpm;
- Fuel / oil tank. 310/210 ml;
- The allowed bus length is 35–40 cm;
- The pitch of the chain to be installed is 3/8 ";
- Number of chain links. 56.
The Champion 142 household chain saw stands out for its relatively low weight, which, in working form, is 4.1 kg. This is an order of magnitude smaller than most other amateur models.
- User’s manual;
- Warranty card;
- Saw set (bus and chain);
- Combination candle wrench;
- A screwdriver for adjusting the carburetor (not always);
- Protective cover;
- Canister for preparation of fuel mixture.
Champion saw quick carburetor adjustment.
How to adjust the carburetor on a chainsaw yourself, adjust the carburetor, adjust the carburetor on.
The engine starts at medium speed and warms up for about 10 minutes. The screw responsible for adjusting the idle speed must move clockwise. It is released only when the engine comes into stable operation. It is necessary to check that the chain does not move during this process.
In idle mode, the engine may stall (the reason is here). In this case, immediately turn the adjusting screw clockwise until it stops. Sometimes the chain starts to move. In this case, turn the adjusting screw in the opposite direction.
Chainsaw Carburetor Adjustment
Adjusting the carburetor of the Champion 254 chainsaw with your own hands. Initial carburetor adjustment shown
Champion drank a quick carb tune.
How to set up a carburetor on your own chainsaw, adjusting the carburetor, adjusting the carburetor on.
Features of carburetor adjustment
The carburetor is set up on the production line, but this does not mean that the operator does not need to make adjustments after purchasing the power unit. It is important not to wait for the first problems in the operation of the device unit (or some others, on which a lot of pressure will be applied), but to adjust the speed regularly so that nothing interferes with the effective operation of the tool.
Please note that it is not necessary to spend time on a trip to the masters in service centers, you can correct the screws yourself. All you need to do is refer to the instruction manual for your Champion petrol chainsaw model. In this manual you will find the following data:
- How to disassemble the tool to get access to the adjusting screws (on some models it is possible to access without the need for additional tools, which is convenient);
- How to distinguish screws and figure out which one is responsible for the rotation in a certain mode of operation of the device;
- How to conduct an initial inspection of the saw, identify the problem and find out which screw needs correction;
- How to adjust the carburetor considering a certain malfunction of the device.
Alas, not all operators have instructions for a certain Champion saw model, then a universal instruction comes to the rescue, which indicates the main rules for setting the carburetor.
Basic setup principles
Before trying to tune the carburetor, consider the basic principles of correcting its operation.
- The screws are easy to distinguish thanks to the marking. Adjust this or that screw when you are sure that you have correctly identified the cause of the problematic device operation beforehand.
- Different screws need to be rotated at different operating modes of the device.
- Only start operating the unit when you are sure that the carburetor screws are set correctly.
- Check your Champion saw’s manual for optimum RPM.
Prerequisites for setting up the carburetor
In theory, everything is simple, it is enough to regularly monitor the quality of the air-fuel mixture using the screws on the carburetor. Nevertheless, even with frequent maintenance of this node, problems may arise:
- The saw headset works even when the operator does not "gas";
- The device stalls as soon as it can be started;
- The device starts to “roar” at idle;
- The saw will not start at all;
- The carved tool wears out quickly (or simply unevenly);
- In different modes of operation of the unit, it is not possible to achieve optimal speed.
Please note that some carburetor problems can only be indirectly related, but adjustment of the unit will be necessary.
Chainsaw carburetor adjustment Champion
Every owner of a gasoline chain saw knows that the carburetor plays a role in the operation of the power unit, which must be adjusted not only before the first start of new equipment, but also regularly during its further operation.
It doesn‘t matter if your saw is so powerful, expensive or popular, taking into account the brand, sooner or later this knot will have to be adjusted. A Champion saw, like any saw with integrated innovation systems, is prone to malfunction. Therefore, it is imperative for powertrain operators to know how to adjust the carburetor on a Champion chainsaw. We will talk about this and other in this article.
Chainsaw carburetor Champion
Tuning Champion is not tied up with the hassle of tuning cheap Chinese instruments that are modeled after brand expensive models. The Champion saw carburetor is simple, it contains several screws with different markings.
- Idling screw, with which you can adjust the speed of the main unit at idle. If at idle speed this screw is set to low speed, then the saw will not start, if the speed is set to high values, then the chain will start to wear out.
- Low rotation adjustment screw. This adjustment adjusts the ideal air / fuel mixture for operating the tool at low rotation levels. If the adjustment on this screw is knocked down, then the device will not start at idle speed; serious problems in the engine operation are also likely (it may fail).
- High speed adjustment screw. By adjusting with this screw, the operator controls the quality of the air / fuel mixture at high rpm. Failures do not lead to wear of the saw headset and damage to parts of the main unit.
Chainsaw Adjustment Rules Champion
Follow these instructions:
We begin to adjust the carburetor at idle speed:
- Find the screw marked with the letter T;
- We twist it counterclockwise, so that the flail stops completely, but the engine runs stably;
- Next, we use a tachometer, which will allow precise adjustment (note that in some cases additional adjustment is not needed).
We continue to adjust the low rpm. This procedure involves the following steps:
- We find the screw, which is indicated by the letter L;
- At idle, we "look for" the nominal rpm values, which can be done by turning the screw L left and right;
- Once you have found the rated idle speed, turn the screw one-fourth of a full turn counterclockwise.
We adjust the carburetor at high rpm. This is necessary in order to avoid damage to the piston system of the chain saw or engine failure due to overheating.
- We are looking for a screw marked with the letter H;
- We carry out the adjustment with the engine warm (leave it running for 10 seconds);
- Turn the screw one fourth of a full turn counterclockwise;
- We wait another 10 seconds, after which we check the speed using the tachometer.
Please note that a rich mixture leads to problems with the operation of the muffler (it will smoke), and too poor will force the main unit of the device to overheat (grinding and squealing is heard, uncharacteristic sounds when the chainsaw is operating).
We complete the adjustment by checking the operation of the engine, which should accelerate to rated speed quickly.
Vladimir. Permian. 42 years.
I bought Champion 142 more than three years ago and still use it almost every month. She helps me out when I need to cut firewood for the winter, I take her fishing and to the dacha. On the operation of this saw, I have only pleasant impressions, since it has not let me down yet. Yes, it broke, but I was able to fix it myself, which is even glad. Now I have experience in repairing, and I am not afraid that I will have to overpay and carry it to the service center, where they will most likely "rip off" a decent amount from me.
The power of this saw is enough for me, it easily cuts trunks with a diameter of more than 30 cm, I even tried to saw a tree more than 70 cm, it is hard to saw, but it coped. Of course, I will no longer conduct such experiments, why rape the instrument.
In general, the saw is good and not expensive. Recommended for those who are looking closely and want a reliable saw for housework.
DIY repair and frequent malfunctions
As for the repair, then it can be carried out independently, of course, if you have ever encountered the repair of similar tools, if not, then it is better to contact the specialists.
The main malfunctions that users have to face are:
- No spark on the spark plug contacts;
- Breakage of the starter cord;
- Unstable operation or no idling;
- Drive sprocket wear;
- Fuel cut off.
Some problems can be solved by adjusting the carburetor, which can also be done by yourself, since the Champion 142 carburetor has this feature.
To adjust the carburetor, you need a small slotted screwdriver, as a rule, it is supplied in the kit, but if it is not there, then any will do, the main thing is that it goes into the adjusting holes located on the right side of the chainsaw.
The carburetor has three adjustment screws, these are L, H and T. The first screw is responsible for the quality of the fuel mixture, the second for the quantity, the third for fine adjustment of the idle speed.
Adjusting the carburetor of the Champion 142 chainsaw begins with the L and H screws set 1.5 turns from the tightened state. Next, the saw needs to be started and allowed to run in order for the engine to warm up a little.
Fine adjustment of the screw L is carried out on a running chainsaw, the screw rotates clockwise until the moment at which the maximum idle speed will be observed, after which it is weakened by a quarter. Fine adjustments are made with the screw (T). Idling is considered normal if the engine is stable and the chain is not spinning.
Next, the amount screw is adjusted, for this it scrolls a little, after which the maximum revolutions are checked.
If there is no tachometer, then the adjustment can be made, but in order not to damage the engine by setting it to an excessive number of revolutions, after the adjustment has been made, you need to loosen the screw by a third or a quarter.
Of course, the performance of the chainsaw will decrease slightly, but this ensures that the engine does not work to its limit, which significantly reduces its resource.
As stated above, the Champion 142 saw is intended for private use. This does not mean that she cannot work on a sawmill or on other more complex objects, just the tool requires careful handling and timely maintenance, a little more often than it is carried out for semi-professional chainsaws.
The low cost of spare parts allows, if necessary, to carry out a major overhaul and restore the performance of the chainsaw. At the same time, which is important, having spent in the amount with the cost of the chainsaw itself, much less money than buying a semi-professional or professional model.
The saw is popular with builders, since K. It has a relatively low weight and is convenient to use when carrying out, for example, roofing or laying wooden log cabins. But if Champion does not experience excessive loads during the construction of roofs, then during the laying and manufacture of log cabins, it experiences significant overloads, but still remains operational for a long time.
The Champion 142 chainsaw includes a detailed instruction manual. Reading it will give you an idea of how to work with the tool, will allow you not to make mistakes when you first start the saw.
The manual also contains a detailed description and remedies for malfunctions that may arise during operation. Based on the information from the manual, you can independently diagnose the malfunction and eliminate.
Many users are looking for answers to questions related to the operation of a chainsaw on thematic forums, although the answers to them in most cases are in the manual, you just need to study it, which not everyone does.
The characteristics of the Champion 142 16 are average in its class, and in some parameters, for example, weight, the saw leads among classmates. Its weight in the assembled state, a little more than 4 kg, agree that such a chainsaw is convenient and not hard to work, some models weigh both 7 and 8.
Power is almost 2.5 HP. This is enough to be able to install a 16-inch tire, which in our measurement system is 40 cm.This is not a lot, but not a little, for example, the main competitor Stihl 180 has a tire length of only 14 inches ( 35 cm).
The maximum number of revolutions of the engine, about 12,500, which, together with the power, gives a good performance. Within an hour, the Champion 142 saw can cut a little more than one cube of wood with chocks, while spending less than one liter of gasoline, because the fuel consumption of the 142nd model is low.
Further, we suggest watching a review in which a petrol sales specialist talks about the technical characteristics and purpose of the Champion 142 chainsaw.