Chainsaw Chain Lubricant Engine Oil
Chainsaw chain lubricants. which are better and how to use?
Chainsaw. a tool equipped with a two-stroke carburetor engine. For high-quality and long-term operation of a chainsaw, not only fuel is necessary. gasoline, but also lubricants, that is, oil. All technical oils, regardless of the principle of operation and scope, serve one purpose. high-quality operation of the engine, lubrication of the driving parts of the motor, durability of parts, and reduction of the degree of wear of parts.
Important! Engine oil for mixing with gasoline to refuel the chainsaw and oil for lubricating the chainsaw chains are not the same thing!
An ideal oil for chain saw chain lubrication should meet the following requirements:
- to be of high quality, preferably, of a famous world brand or “native”, which is produced by the manufacturer for its chainsaws;
- have good adhesive properties, that is, evenly and tightly distributed over the entire area of the chain and the place of contact of the chain with the tire;
- meet viscosity standards for the season;
- not to be smoke-generating;
- to withstand low temperatures and not freeze in cold weather, which is especially important for work in the winter season.
How to use oil to lubricate the chainsaw chains?
To supply lubricant to the chain, a special pump is provided in the chain chainsaw or saw. With the help of this pump, oil should be fed directly to the tire, distributed along the chain, contributing to the quality of the tool. The degree of oil consumption directly depends on the number of engine revolutions. the higher it is, the greater the flow rate.
Chainsaw Chain Lubrication Device
Components of the lubrication system of a chainsaw:
- oil tank (located in the crankcase, oil must be poured into it so that it enters the chain);
- oil filter (installed inside the tank);
- oil pipe or oil-conducting hose (made of wear-resistant rubber);
- oil pump;
- worm gear;
- chainsaw tire (there are holes in it through which oil flows).
Video. which oil to use for chainsaw chains:
Why do I need chainsaw lubrication
There are several reasons to lubricate a chainsaw chain:
- prevention of tire overheating;
- improvement of the chain travel on the tire;
- reduction in chain wear, slower grinding of blades;
- stable operation of the engine (the less the load on the tire, the more stable the engine works, the saw will not work for a long time with a tire that is not lubricated);
- chain lubrication provides long-term operation at low temperatures.
What oils are suitable for chain lubrication. classification
To lubricate the chainsaw chains, it is recommended to use the following types of oils:
- from world famous manufacturers (Stihl, Daewoo, Husqvarna and others, on the packaging of such oils there is usually an “adhesive” mark);
- original chain from the same manufacturer (if available);
- with good biodegradability according to CEC-L-33-T-82 ( > 95%);
- with viscosity complying with European quality and safety standards. Standard example: viscosity index 130 DIN ISO 2909, density at 15 ° C. 0.89 g / cm³ DIN 51757, thickening temperature. 25 ° C DIN ISO
Видео: Chainsaw Chain Lubricant Engine Oil
How to replace?
If it is not possible to use oil for a chain of the same brand from the manufacturer, an acceptable option would be to use motor oils of well-known brands, which can be replaced by a chain. Of course, it is not advisable to constantly use a motor for a chainsaw chain, but as a temporary measure, it is permissible. Manufacturers whose motor oils retain operating properties at temperatures up to minus 30 ° C: Nanotek Premium, Standard, Enkor, Makita, Makita Biotop, Makita Oregon, Stihl Bio Plus.
Video about oil for chain saw chain lubrication:
What oils are not suitable for chain lubrication
Poor effect on the quality of the chainsaw and the condition of the chain and tire the use of these types of oils:
- counterfeit products of unknown production (the composition of such oils cannot be analyzed and confirmed);
- mining, which did not pass filtration and settling (mechanical particles contained in mining will quickly lead to wear of the chain and tire), modern environmental standards prescribe that mining should not be used, it should be disposed of in accordance with the rules;
- transmission (not a very suitable option due to viscosity mismatch).
What is the danger of saving on oil?
Why is saving oil for chains dangerous for chainsaws? If you approach the issue globally, then wear the chain, tires, quickly overheating the chainsaw during operation and, ultimately, even breaking the engine. The cost of failed parts is always much higher than the cost of good oil, so try to constantly pour high-quality liquids of famous brands into your chainsaw.
TOP 5 popular chainsaw chain lubricants
Five brands of world leading brands of chainsaw lubricants
- Ökoplus XS 68. biodegradable, for saw chains, made on the basis of vegetable oil. Conforms to German standards for biodegradability, forest work standards and forestry equipment handling.
- Liqui Moly Suge-Ketten Oil 100 is a high quality mineral chain oil, has excellent adhesive properties and can be used both at high and low temperatures.
- Stihl BioPlus. for processing high-speed chains. It is used on high power chainsaws operating in harsh conditions.
- Vegeil Husqvarna is a plant-based, environmentally friendly and biodegradable.
- Oregon. all the latest generation chain oils are made on the basis of high molecular weight compounds, preserve the chain and tire from wear, protect against corrosion.
Other well-known brands that produce chain oils for chainsaws and saws: Motul, Ravenol, Dnipro, Skif-Ol, Mobil.
Chain and tire lubrication principle
The main body of the fuel system of the chainsaw is the oil pump. When the engine speed begins to increase, the gear of the worm gear gives an impulse to the pump shaft and it begins to move. The shaft rotates, creating pressure inside the oil mistral. Thus, under pressure, the oil moves along the mistral to the tire.
The oil channel ends where the chainsaw is in contact with the tire. This section has a longitudinal groove. When a tire is mounted on a chainsaw, the oil channel coincides with this groove. The groove regulates the flow of oil to the chainsaw tire, moreover, its amount is in no way connected with the degree of chain tension.
After oil enters the tire, a chain is activated. it usually has holes on it, from which oil enters the entire plane of the tire. The higher the number of revolutions of the chainsaw engine, the more oil will flow to the chain. Some chainsaw models have special adjustment oil pumps that can be used to adjust the amount of oil that enters the chain. This is how the degree of lubricant consumption is adjusted.
Chain lubrication problems
The main chain lubrication problems that the chainsaw owner may encounter while operating the tool:
- No oil enters the chain of the saw or chainsaw.
Cause: there is not enough oil to lubricate, the filter is clogged, the thread on the pump gear is broken.
Such a malfunction is eliminated by replacing the filter and adding oil to the crankcase, replacing the thread.
We recommend watching thematic videos about this problem, which are posted later in the article.
- Depressurization of the oil line (typical for Stihl chainsaws).
Cause: Such a breakdown can be recognized by the presence of oil smudges in the lower part of the chainsaw. To eliminate the problem, a sealant is applied to the seat of the hose after it is fixed, to avoid oil leakage during further operation.
Video. oil does not enter the saw chain
How to reduce the oil supply to the chainsaw chain
“As an owner of a chainsaw with extensive experience and experience, I recommend it to everyone. do not save on chain oil! Do not use mining in any case, such lubricants will not bring any benefit. The higher the quality of all fuels and lubricants, the longer your chainsaw will last, especially if it’s not cheap. ”