Chainsaw does not idle
The chainsaw is not gaining momentum: an overview of the reasons and do-it-yourself repairs
Malfunctions occur both with expensive German or American modifications of chainsaws, and with their cheap Chinese fakes. It’s nice when the moment of starting the motor tool goes smoothly: the saw warms up and gradually reaches the rated power declared by the manufacturer, which is issued throughout the entire working cycle. Things are worse if everything happens the other way around: after pulling on the gas cable, the unit starts to slip, it works in jerks after short pauses, stalls and starts up again from the pusher.
There can be many reasons for this phenomenon, as well as scenarios for the development of events. Let’s consider in detail each working situation and breakdowns that preceded them.
Why the chainsaw isn’t picking up steam?
Launching is a complex multi-level process involving almost all of the saw’s life support systems. That is why the fact that the saw loses speed, turns on intermittently and feels confident exclusively at idle speed should be considered from different angles.
Such factors could lead to this:
- a faulty engine. its service life could be exhausted, and the piston rings and cylinder could wear out, deform or even corrode;
- a failed spark plug or the coil itself. as a result of this, a spark is not generated, which is necessary to ignite the air-fuel mixture;
- unbalance of the carburetor screws, as well as a number of reasons that could disable it.
The chainsaw does not develop speed: we test the device for malfunctions
The ignition module can be diagnosed for problems visually. For this you need:
- turn out the candle;
- evaluate its appearance (it should not be drenched in gasoline or contain a black coating);
- check the distance between the coil and the magnets (up to 0.2 mm);
- if necessary, examine the spark plug unit for spark supply using a working mains wire.
If, after checking, no defects were found, it is worth moving on to checking the carburetor block.
This work unit is one of the most vulnerable in modern chainsaws. New tools, which are shipped from the factory, have basic settings. for low and high speeds, which must be reset after running-in and running-in of all parts. Similar actions are performed if the saw does not develop traction corresponding to the maximum torque according to the instructions.
In this case, you need to reconfigure one of them. the “H” jack, which is responsible for the operation of the saw under load. To do this, it is enough to adjust the fuel supply with the engine running at the highest speed of rotation of the chain, using a tachometer and operating instructions.
What if the chainsaw does not idle?
Idling problems are considered constant companions of chainsaws. There may be several prerequisites that could lead to slugs at the time of starting and spinning of the circuit during idle operation, the main of which are:
- clogging of the air and gasoline filter;
- poor-quality fuel mixture or improper preparation;
- malfunctions of the ignition module;
- a carburetor whose settings have ceased to correspond to the load on the saw;
- the propulsion elements are deformed or rusted.
A number of actions are sequentially performed:
- flush the fuel hose or replace it with a new one,
- clean the air filter, which could be clogged with sawdust and dirt particles. Modern air filters are reusable, they can be washed with the addition of detergent, completely removing them from the saw body;
- check gasoline and engine oil, which may be of poor quality or simply not suitable for working with this saw;
- test candles and carburetor.
Eliminating one or more possible faults usually returns the saw to its former strength.
Other chainsaw malfunctions
This may be due to the fact that:
- the throttle valve does not function. its spring or thrust element has weakened;
- the toggle switch does not switch well;
- the throttle shaft has lost its corkscrew.
But the opposite can be the case. when the saw is gaining power uncontrollably. The reasons why the chainsaw itself is gaining momentum should be sought in:
- carburetor. it needs to be cleaned or readjusted;
- fuel supply system. gas filter, fuel hose;
- malfunctions of the cylinder-piston or branch pipes connecting them to the carburetor.
There are a lot of breakdowns that manifest themselves through revolutions atypical for a particular part of the working cycle. But an attentive attitude to the instrument will help diagnose them in time and return it to normal operation.
Regarding the carburetor, the source of malfunction can be:
- wear of piston components;
- littering it;
- breakdown of the air filter;
- the use of gasoline with a low octane number and inadequate quality;
- damage due to vibration effects of the tool itself.
Each individual model is usually based on a 3-screw adjustment method, and the “H” screw will help to reach the maximum torque.
And yet, if the chainsaw does not develop speed, perhaps even the reason is not in itself, but in the time of year in which the work is being carried out. So, the minus mark of the thermometer is one of the factors that can completely “knock down” the chainsaw. Many users note that in severe frosts, even pouring hot oil does not help and the grease involuntarily solidifies on the tire. Ice coating of the carburetor and frost on it is also a fairly common thing. What can be done?
Reduce the operation of the tool before the onset of the body, or, if the design allows, change the damper mode from summer to winter, which is installed on individual models under the air filter cover.
All about the speed of gasoline saws
Modernization does not stand still. And the old chain chainsaws, which, besides being able to only saw wood, emitting a terrible roar and vibration, heard almost for kilometers, are long in the past. Almost silent, sophisticated tools that are now a pleasure to hold in their hands have flooded the market, giving users a feeling of complete happiness and technical freedom.
But, to our great regret, no matter how detailed technically and visually advanced technology is, its breakdowns are a fairly frequent occurrence, which manufacturers speak about only “by default”. Chainsaws are no exception to this, multifunctional working units that require tremendous attention to themselves from the user in order to recognize the “catch” in time and stop the problem at the earliest stages.
The main of these nuances usually relate to the moment of launch, which should be taken with full responsibility. Let’s look at the main processes that can occur with a chainsaw when the engine is turned on.
The chainsaw is not gaining momentum. what to do?
over, this phenomenon may be accompanied by the fact that the motor periodically does not start at all, it loses speed, and the load cannot withstand more than idle speed. If you do not pay attention to this problem in time, you can generally “lose” it due to severe overheating.
The main reason for this usually lies in the area of the engine, which is why it is worth taking a closer look there.
Other points that could lead to such consequences are:
- malfunctions with spark plugs;
- problems with the carburetor or simply incorrect adjustment.
The spark plug lends itself to visual diagnostics, therefore, if it is too dry or, on the contrary, very wet, and even with a significant coating on top, it is necessary, if not to replace it with a new one, then simply clean or dry it and try it outside the saw ignition system.
What to do if the chainsaw does not slow down?
The opposite of the previous situation is when the gasoline tool very quickly goes to high power and does not slow it down. In this case, it can be observed that neither the screw on the body, nor the cleaning of the carburetor can eliminate this in any way. It would seem, what else is needed, the saw works, gives out power as in the instructions. But the trouble is that in this case, you need ten times more fuel than usual.
The following actions can help:
- checking the throttle cable;
- inspection of the return spring, which could simply come off;
- sealing the rear flap, which must be very tightly closed.
Usually, one of these activities can make a lot of sense.
Another technical problem is the situation when the chainsaw itself is gaining momentum, the reason for which is usually more than one. In this case, as well as under load, the saw may start to stall from time to time, preventing it from being fully used for its intended purpose.
What can be the reason that the chainsaw does not idle?
As they say, to start up. it started up, and then it stalls and does not have time to move to the next power level. Many conditions can serve this:
- clogging of filtration parts;
- irregularities in the operation of the incendiary system;
- out of adjustment of the carburetor;
- the gasoline drive is defective or damaged during operation;
- muffler or exhaust ducts clogged;
- malfunction of cylinder-piston and installed valves.
Of course, it is difficult to independently diagnose everything at once, but moving through the proposed points you can still get an answer to your question. In half the cases, it is enough to clean the carburetor, check the installation of the jets. and the job is done, the chainsaw works as before.
The leading reasons for this may be:
- clogging of the carburetor or fuel and air filter;
- violation of the integrity of the hose that supplies fuel;
- depressurization of the leading pipe from the carburetor to the engine cylinder;
- and again incorrect adjustment of one of the screws (usually an H-screw) of the carburetor system.
Therefore, the simplest thing to do at home is to clean the carburetor and filters, both air and fuel. At the same time, it is important to maintain the correct adjustment of the screw elements L and H. Some advise to completely remove the fuel filter from the design, but this is not an option either, because the carburetor will not last so long.
Therefore, before starting work, you just need to look to see if it sinks, if there are any kinks in the hoses through which the fuel flows, and then take more drastic actions.
As you can see, there are many problems, but an excellent panacea for each of them is timely diagnostics that can answer many questions about a technical malfunction of the device even before they appear.
Husqvarna 240 won’t stay running
What to do if the chainsaw is gaining momentum by itself?
This malfunction is typical for novice gardeners who ignore the need for timely maintenance of their gasoline-powered tools. In the case of an arbitrary set of revolutions with a chainsaw, the cause must be sought in the carburetor. First of all, it will need to be completely disassembled. After making sure that all the built-in parts are in good working order, you can start flushing the fuel unit. For this you need:
- place all carburetor elements in a container with clean gasoline. After knocking, the parts must be removed, rinsed thoroughly with water and dried;
- the fuel pipes must be blown out with compressed air from a cylinder. Immediately before re-installing the hoses at the points of their connection to the fittings, you will need to apply silicone sealant;
- after installing the carburetor, not the chainsaw, you need to re-adjust it. Before that, you need to make sure that the power unit is in good condition, as well as the filters, rubber gaskets and bushings are in working order.
In some cases, the cause of an arbitrary set of revolutions with a chainsaw may be a loss of sealing of the crankshaft oil seal. Due to constant contact with the moving shaft, the stuffing box lends itself to increased heating, which leads to the formation of cracks and holes inside it. A damaged gasket cannot be repaired, so it must be replaced.
Often the cause of air leakage, due to which an arbitrary set of revolutions by the motor occurs, is the loss of fixation of the bolted connections. In this case, the operator will need to tighten all the bolts and check the operation of the gasoline tool again.
The chainsaw does not slow down. how to find and fix a breakdown?
The most common cause of this frequent breakdown is an improperly adjusted damper. It is needed to suck in the air that the carburetor needs to enrich the fuel mixture with air. To adjust the choke, you need to adjust the operation of the carburetor. In this case, special attention should be paid to the operation of the power unit at idle. You can check the operation of the engine in idle mode by paying attention to the state of the circuit immediately after starting the internal combustion engine. If it rotates, then you need to adjust the power unit.
Another reason for this typical malfunction is air leaks. If air leaks in one of the chainsaw mechanisms, the mixture will automatically deplete, which will lead to a spontaneous increase in the speed of the chainsaw motor. In this case, the operator will need to carefully check the entire fuel system, including the carburetor, pipes, and working chambers of the unit.
In some cases, the chainsaw does not decelerate due to a jammed accelerator cable. In this case, the power unit will independently gain momentum to the maximum immediately after it is started. Disassembling the gas handle and inspecting the entire gas supply mechanism will help to solve the problem. A jammed cable will need to be adjusted or completely replaced.
Does not idle the chainsaw
The serviceability and efficiency of household and professional chainsaws largely depend on the degree of wear of their main operating mechanisms. Several factors indicate damage to the working units of the gasoline tool, the main of which is the speed of the running engine. Their arbitrary growth or decrease can prompt the operator about a breakdown of the carburetor, violation of the clutch clearance and other malfunctions. this will make it possible to identify any of the breakdowns in time and eliminate it on their own.
Why the chainsaw isn’t picking up steam?
In cases in which the used gasoline saw is not able to steadily gain momentum and stalls spontaneously when you press the accelerator, you will need to carefully check the engine crankcase and carburetor. First and foremost, the operator should carefully inspect the assemblies to ensure they are not sealed. If a large amount of oil was found inside the crankcase or carburetor, then the leak inside the faulty unit must be repaired.
The next reason why the chainsaw does not develop speed. a manufacturing defect or mechanical damage to the breather located inside the fuel tank. A vacuum can form in the fuel tank, which leads to a lack of fuel supply to the working cylinder of the power unit. Deposits that have accumulated on the surface of the fuel cylinder can also cause this problem. In this case, you need to remove the filter element and rinse it in clean gasoline. If after that the chainsaw continues to stall under load. then you need to perform the following procedure: turn off the power unit of the chainsaw, remove the fuel tank cap and tighten it again. If after that the motor of the gas-powered tool starts to gain momentum and after 5 minutes of operation it stalls again, then the cause of the breakdown is a faulty breather.
A thick layer of carbon deposits on the walls of a factory muffler can be another common cause of a saw motor not spinning. Resinous deposits and ash will prevent exhaust gases from escaping, which will lead them back to the engine compartment. As a result, the engine will begin to emit extraneous sounds and severely lose speed even with a slight press on the accelerator.
The chainsaw does not idle. search for reasons and repair
There can be several reasons for this common breakdown. Basically, the loss of speed when the internal combustion engine is idling is associated with engine malfunctions, loss of compression in its standard cylinder, ignition system, carburetor, as well as improperly prepared fuel mixture. In search of the exact cause of a breakdown, the operator may encounter the following problems:
- accumulation of resinous deposits and ash, small debris on the air and fuel filters of the chainsaw. if possible, the elements must be washed. If, in addition to blockages, cracks or holes were found on the surface of the filters, then the foam rubber elements will need to be completely replaced;
- spark plug defect. cracks, chips or burrs disrupt the work of the part, which leads to a loss of engine speed when it is idling. In this case, the candle will need to be replaced;
- loss of factory settings of the carburetor. increased pressure on the power unit leads to an increase in its vibration. As a result, the spring-loaded metal bolts of the fuel assembly lose their original position, which leads to a loss of engine speed;
- cracks and holes in the fuel pipe. to repair the chainsaw, the hose must be replaced;
- clogging of the inner walls of the muffler. dismantling, thorough flushing and reinstalling the muffler will help solve the problem. If large burrs have formed on the internal cavities of the element, then it will soon begin to rust. To prevent this, it is better to replace the muffler immediately;
- malfunction of the power unit’s CPG. the appearance of microcracks or burrs on the inner surface of the cylinder and piston will lead to a loss of tightness of the working chambers. As a result, the amount of air required to enrich the fuel mixture will be disrupted. this will result in a loss of engine speed when idling.
The stable operation of a chainsaw engine largely depends on the quality and proportion in which the fuel mixture is prepared. An excess or lack of oil will lead to a gradual deterioration in the operation of the power unit and over time it will not be able to work even at idle speed. To prevent this, you need to strictly adhere to the ratio of gasoline and oil, which is indicated in the instructions for the chainsaw used.
Chainsaw does not idle
The problem is quite common. The most common causes of misbehavior at the start and spinning of the chain are:
- Clogged air and fuel filters;
- Low-quality fuel is used or the fuel mixture is incorrectly prepared;
- Problems with the ignition module;
- Carburettor unit settings do not match the load level;
- Deformation or rusting of engine components.
Algorithm of actions:
- The fuel hose is thoroughly flushed or replaced;
- The air filter is cleaned of all contaminants. The reusability of the filters allows them to be removed and cleaned with detergents;
- Fuel and oil are checked for quality. It is better to use the mixtures specified by the manufacturer in the instructions;
- Carburetor block and spark plugs are tested.
Often the problem is with only one part. After its elimination, the unit can be actively operated again.
Modern chainsaws are characterized by rather complex designs and simple operation. Regardless of the characteristics of the tool, it is not insured against breakdowns. Almost all malfunctions can be avoided with proper care and use of technology.
Problems that the operator may encounter when working with a petrol tool:
- The momentum is not gaining momentum;
- Idle turns do not hold;
- Turnovers are not thrown off;
- Turnovers pick up themselves.
In some cases, it is worth using the services of a specialist from a service center. But these problems can be eliminated by hand.
The chainsaw doesn’t slow down
In some cases, the petrol tool quickly reaches a certain power level and does not slow down. To eliminate it, it is not enough to adjust the screws on the body or clean the carburetor. The essence of the problem is the high consumption of the fuel mixture.
The following steps are taken:
- The serviceability of the throttle cable is checked;
- The return spring is examined. it can jump off;
- The rear flap must be completely sealed.
Why the chainsaw isn’t picking up steam?
When starting the gasoline tool, almost all systems and assemblies are involved. At startup, there may be problems with speed, they can be provoked by the following reasons:
- Engine malfunction due to depletion of service life, wear or deformation of piston rings and cylinder;
- Coil or spark plug problems. no spark to ignite the fuel mixtures;
- Unbalanced carburetor screws.
To test the ignition module, proceed as follows:
- A candle is unscrewed;
- Her condition is assessed. It is impossible for it to be filled with gasoline or there was a black coating;
- The distance between the coil and the magnets is checked (up to 0.2 millimeters);
- In addition, the spark plug unit can be checked for spark supply by a working network drive.
If the chainsaw does not develop further, it is worth testing the carburetor. Low and high speeds are set by default, they are reset after the running-in process and short-term use of the tool.
The revolutions are adjusted with screws, they are unscrewed all the way. In this situation, it is necessary to reconfigure the H jumper, which is responsible for using the unit under load. Adjusts the flow of the fuel mixture while the engine is running at the highest chain speed. The tachometer and instructions from the manufacturer will help you to configure.
The chainsaw picks up speed by itself
A problem may arise when the saw itself starts to gain momentum. While working, the unit stalls, not allowing full use of the chainsaw.
Factors that can provoke the failure of the unit:
- Clogged carburetor, fuel or air filters;
- The fuel step is damaged or clogged;
- The leading pipe between the carburetor block and the engine cylinder is depressurized;
- Problem with setting the propeller (often H-propeller) of the carburetor.
The following works are carried out:
- The carburetor and filters are cleaned. In this case, the correct adjustment of the screws L and H is controlled;
- The fuel filter should not be removed as this will adversely affect the tool’s service life. It is enough to check if it is ignited, the fuel supply hose should not be bent.
Poulan chainsaw won’t idle
Problems with the working speed of the chainsaw can arise in any situation. Therefore, it is important to be attentive to the gasoline tool, to carry out maintenance and diagnostics on time. Correct and timely work will allow you to quickly restore the working functions of the saw.
Chainsaw does not idle. repair sequence
There are actually many reasons for this common problem.
- poor condition of the filters, as a result of which their throughput was violated;
- breakdown or regular malfunctions of the ignition system;
- arbitrary deviations in the operation of the carburetor caused by impacts or other mechanical influences;
- violation of fixation or formation of a hole in the fuel hose;
- formation of carbon deposits inside the exhaust system;
- the appearance of defects on the surface of the piston, valve or working cylinder.
Before inspecting the internal structure of the chainsaw, you need to inspect the condition of its body. If a dent appears in one of its parts, then it is quite possible that you need to look for the real reason for the loss of speed just under the damaged case wall.
Repair of a chainsaw, the engine of which randomly loses speed at idle, is performed in the following sequence:
- The first step is to remove and inspect the filter by the operator. After that, you need to install them in place, remove the fuel supply hose from the carburetor fitting and direct the tube into the container. Then you need to press the hand pump several times to pre-pump fuel. If gasoline enters the container evenly, without jerking, then the filter elements are in good order. If this does not happen and the fuel enters the container intermittently, then the filter will need to be replaced;
- Then you need to inspect the ignition system. First of all, you need to inspect the standard candle. If it is flooded with oil and a thick layer of carbon has formed on its walls, then the part will not be able to support the gradual combustion of fuel. as a result, the internal combustion engine of the chainsaw will quickly lose speed. If the spark plug is clean, then you need to check the condition of the ignition coil, namely the distance between it and the flywheel. If it exceeds 0.2 mm, then the gap will need to be adjusted. To do this, you will need to insert a special adjusting gasket between the elements and bring the flywheel closer to the coil by turning the 2 upper screws;
- The third step is checking the carburetor. In most cases, violation of its factory settings leads to a loss of revolutions of the chainsaw engine. Reconfiguring the fuel assembly will help solve this problem.
All actions for the repair of a chainsaw must be carried out very carefully. If, during troubleshooting, the operator damages small parts of the tool, this will lead to even more serious damage.
To tune the carburetor, you will need a Phillips or slotted screwdriver of different lengths or thicknesses, the size depending on the design of this unit and the features of the engine assembly. It should be noted that some manufacturers make carburetors designed to use special tools.
In particular, special types of screwdrivers may be required to tune Husqvarna carburettors and other imported tools. It is advisable to clarify this question even when buying a chainsaw, so that you can purchase the necessary additional equipment in advance.
In addition, you will need refined gasoline or acetone to flush and clean the device. They are used to clean the outer surfaces of the carburetor. All internal channels are flushed with kerosene, diesel fuel or white spirit. Before washing, the carburetor is disassembled, all rubber or plastic parts that may suffer from contact with aggressive chemical compounds are removed.
Open-end or spanner wrenches are used to disassemble the carburetor. The internal channels are flushed in specially designated trays, sometimes plastic syringes are used for this.
Final carburetor setting
First, warm up the engine for 5-10 minutes (not at high speeds).
Malfunction of the chain lubrication system in the chainsaw
What are the breakdowns in the chain lubrication system:
- No or little oil intake
- Oil leaks
In the first case, we first examine the channels through which the oil is supplied to the tire and clean them. Driving them is quite common.
If there is a significant leak of oil (a slight leak of oil is normal for all gasoline saws), check the tightness of the pipes and fittings of the oil pump. The tubing may fall off and even crack. The violation of the tightness of the pipes is eliminated by replacing them or sealing them with a sealing material.
As for oil pumps, different models of chainsaws can have different designs, and the drive is also carried out in different ways (as a rule, the drive is carried out by a drive sprocket or a special gear on the crankshaft). If there is a problem with the oil pump, then most often you do not have to completely replace this entire unit, it will be enough to replace its moving part (plunger), it is it that most often fails due to the ingress of a large amount of dirt and sawdust.
The most serious damage is a crack in the oil pump housing. In this case, you will have to completely replace it.
The speed of the chainsaw is floating
Basic carburetor setting
Slowly tighten the maximum and minimum speed adjusting screws (H and L) clockwise until they stop, and then one and a half turns in the opposite direction.
Chainsaw does not idle
In this case, you should start looking for a malfunction with the filter elements. For the most part, it is due to the decrease in the throughput of the air and gasoline filters that the idle speed starts to “float”.
If everything is in order with the filters, then it is necessary to check the components of the gas supply system, and also to make sure that there is no spontaneous change in the carburetor settings.
Necessary skills and tools for repair
Most of the malfunctions of gasoline chain saws can be fixed by hand. True, this requires an understanding of the chainsaw device and how the nodes function among themselves. As for the tool, most often you need:
- screwdrivers (slotted and power);
- the combination wrench included in the kit or conventional wrenches with different head sizes.
How to check the compression on a chainsaw
With a compression level below 8 atmospheres, the engine will not have enough power, which means that the chainsaw will not be able to fully function.
To measure compression you need:
- Remove the protective cover and unscrew the spark plug.
- Insert the tip of the compressor into the hole where the candle should be located.
- Using the starter cord, rotate the piston and memorize the maximum readings of the measuring device.
Gasoline flows from the chainsaw
If gasoline drops periodically appear on the body of the chainsaw, then it is necessary to check the tightness of the fuel tank. Over time, it may dry out. Or the gasket “hardened” and it can no longer perform its direct function.
If full-fledged gasoline streams appear, then there is a high probability that you will have to change the burst hose connecting the carburetor and the fuel tank.
Chainsaw loses power under load
If in the process of work the saw power disappeared somewhere, then the problem should be looked for in the following places:
- In the muffler. He, as you already understood, tends to clog.
- Clogged fuel filter.
- In a poorly functioning fuel pump.
Repair yourself or send to a service center
It should be understood that not every problem can be solved on your own. Not every owner of a chainsaw has a compressor at home or a special device that allows you to create a vacuum and the right pressure, for example, to check the crankcase for leaks. In this case, you simply cannot do without contacting specialized specialists.
How to check and replace the fuel filter
To check the current condition of the fuel filter, you must perform the following steps:
- Remove the fuel hose from the carburetor fitting and direct it to a working container.
- Press several times on the so-called “swap”.
If the gasoline comes unevenly and jerkily, then it’s time to put in a new filter element. This is done quite simply:
- The fuel tank cap is unscrewed.
- Using tweezers or any other device, the filter itself is removed.
- Having disconnected the old filter, you must put a new one and lower it into the fuel tank.