Chainsaw Stalls At Idle
Chainsaw stalls under load
If the chainsaw stalls under load, the fuel system or a dirty air filter may be the cause. Replacing the fuel with the correct gasoline / oil ratio or cleaning the air filter are universal solutions. An improperly prepared mixture of low-quality gasoline and, for example, engine oil is the main reason for the malfunctioning of a chainsaw, including in the case when it heats up and stalls.
Chainsaw stalls at idle speed
Cases are common when the chainsaw stalls at idle. First of all, you need to check the muffler, and, in case of contamination, clean it from exhaust tar deposits. Also on carburetors of some models, etc. There are bolts with inscriptions H and L. respectively rough and fine tuning. By adjusting the bolt L during the operation of the chainsaw so that its speed increases (turn the bolt only half a turn), it is possible to eliminate this problem. Adjusting the carburetor requires an electronic tachometer and is a rather time-consuming process. That is why, in such cases, it is better to turn to professionals.
The chainsaw starts and stalls. Why?
There are several simple rules for the operation and maintenance of a chainsaw, the observance of which will maximize its service life. Preparing the correct fuel mixture, regularly cleaning filters and periodically replacing parts will save you from having to repair your tool for a long time. If it was not possible to avoid the breakdown, then you can figure out its cause completely independently. This applies to all brands of chainsaws, from the more complex Husqvarna and Stihl models to the simplest Makita and Patriot models.
The chainsaw stalls immediately
What to do if the chainsaw stalls immediately after starting? First you need to check the presence of fuel in the gas tank. If its level is not enough, then you need to prepare the fuel mixture in exact accordance with the ratio of gasoline and oil prescribed in the operating instructions. Gasoline must have the highest possible octane number, and the required brand of oil, as a rule, is indicated in the data sheet of the chainsaw.
Next, we check the spark plug, as well as the contact of its tip with the high-voltage wire. The gap between them should be no more than 0.5 mm. If necessary, the candle is cleaned of carbon deposits and dried. It is recommended to occasionally change the candle to a completely new one. The reasons for the tool stalling when you press the gas lie in the fuel filter or carburetor jet. Cleaning the gas filter will not take much time and effort, but it is better to entrust the disassembly and cleaning of the carburetor to the specialists of the service center.
Chainsaw stalls when tilted
When the chainsaw is horizontal, the fuel pipe lies at the bottom of the gas tank, but when the tool is tilted, the pipe is above the fuel mixture, i.E. In the air. This is what causes the chainsaw to stall on its side.
The chainsaw stalls at high speeds
In the event that the tool stalls at high rpm, there are three parts to check: the air filter, the fuel pump and the gasoline filter. The air filter must be cleaned, you can even wash it under water and dry it thoroughly. Then it is enough to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and see if fuel flows out of it or not. If it flows with a full stream, the petrol filter need not be checked. If, on the contrary, the fault has been found. The breather can be cleaned with a regular needle, and the filter can be carefully disconnected from the suction hose, cleaned or replaced with a new one. The gasoline pump is checked for wear: if the fuel does not seep through it, then everything is fine with it. If the problem that your tool stalls at full speed is due to some damage to the pump, then this part just needs to be replaced with a new one.
- About the service center
- Serviced brands
- Diagnostics and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized service center "Agrotechservice". Comprehensive warranty and post-warranty service for garden and municipal equipment from world manufacturers! We sell spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!
Stihl chainsaw stalls: reasons
If the tool turns off immediately after starting, it means that a breakdown of some device or part has occurred. To determine the reason, the mechanism is tested independently or in service workshops. Sometimes the reason that the mechanism does not start well is due to improper saw maintenance:
- Insufficient amount of gasoline;
- Poorly prepared fuel mixture;
- Poor lubricant quality;
- Silencer clogged with combustion products;
- Unadjusted carburetor;
- Obstruction of the air filter;
- Malfunctioning piston or cylinder.
Why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start
For a preliminary diagnosis of the reasons, check the operation of the gas pump, the appearance of the plug, the flow of fuel, the functionality of the carburetor and the condition of the filter. Pay attention to the performance of cylinders, pistons, muffler, crankshaft bearings. After preventive measures, they try to start the chainsaw. Insufficient lubrication of rubbing parts also becomes a factor in poor performance.
In this article, we will consider the main problems that may arise when starting the Stihl chainsaw (the spark is gone, the tool stalls or does not pick up speed), as well as ways to eliminate them.
Doesn’t slow down
The tool quickly reaches its maximum speed and the power does not decrease. This situation is explained by the fact that:
- The throttle valve does not work due to a weakening of the spring or traction element;
- The on toggle switch periodically fails;
- No corkscrew on the throttle shaft;
- Clogged carburetor;
- The fuel hose and the gasoline filter are not functioning correctly.
Gasoline engines are equipped with an ignition system that ignites the fuel. The timing of the flash will affect the motor performance. In mass production at the factory, the ignition of the chainsaw is not adjusted. Marks are placed on the corresponding rotating elements, which are aligned during adjustment. Incorrect adjustment leads to the fact that the mechanism starts and stalls.
Before adjusting, check the dryness of the spark plug and the performance of the ignition circuit. The voltage supply cable to the candle is brought to the cylinder with a small gap and the starter is started. If there is no flash, test the cable with a probe. Then check the serviceability of the wire to the disconnecting button.
If the cables are intact, then check the ignition coil. This is done with a special tester to ring the device. In this case, the indicators on the device must coincide with the technical characteristics of the coil, which are prescribed in the instructions for use. If inconsistencies are found, then the ignition unit changes to a workable device.
This shows how to quickly set the gap between the ignition coil and the magnet using a piece of plastic cut from a bottle as a probe. You can also use a four-fold A4 sheet or a piece of cardboard from a cigarette pack.
The coil can be damaged by vibration when dropped or bumped, so work with caution.
Spark plug test is performed. Various factors affect the functioning of an element. When testing the mechanism, the reasons are revealed:
- Insufficient carburetor adjustment;
- Large oil in gasoline;
- Clogged fuel and air filters.
Due to work in such conditions, carbon deposits accumulate on the plug contacts. Subsequent corrosion of the conductors causes no spark in half of the fault cases. This is because the gap between the modular contacts changes. To test the spark, do the following:
- The tip of the high voltage cable is removed;
- Unscrew the candle;
- The tip is put in place;
- The wide end of the candle is leaned against the cylinder;
- Start the starter.
If, at start-up, a bright spark resembling lightning appears between the electrodes, then the ignition unit is operational. In the absence of a flash, clean the entire element and expose a gap between the conductors. Sometimes there is no clearance between the flywheel and the ignition coil. When rubbing the flywheel, scratches are visible on its exterior.
Idle speed adjustment
Before adjustment, the tool is maintained. In order for the idle speed adjustment to be effective, prevention is done:
- Carburetor cleaning;
- Flushing the engine;
- Air filter cleaning;
- Warming up the motor.
To adjust the operation of the mechanism at idle speed, an appropriate adjusting screw is used. Its rotation depends on the required setting:
- With standard adjustment, the screw is turned against the clock hand to the point where it will turn tightly. After that, make 2 circles in the direction of the arrow.
- If the saw is running at low rpm, turn the screw clockwise until the chain starts moving. Then make half a circle in the opposite direction.
- At high frequency, turn the regulator against the clock hand until the circuit stops. After that, the rotation is continued for another half turn in the same direction.
It will not work to adjust the idle operation if there is air suction into the engine through a gasket, an acceleration pump, oil seals, or for another reason.
On the pages of the world wide web, you can find information that the Stihl 180 chainsaw can stall due to strong contamination of the air filter. I would like to refute this not entirely correct information, and inform that the Stihl MC 180 carburetor is equipped with an expansion joint, which is designed and installed in order to take in the air necessary for the normal operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, bypassing the contaminated air filter. Of course, the power with a clogged air filter will drop a little, but it will definitely not stall. The power may also drop due to wear of the piston, here it will already be necessary to repair the piston Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
One of the reasons why the chainsaw does not develop speed when you press the gas, but rather stall, is a carburetor malfunction. Let’s say the Stihl 180 saw worked properly, and then it was put on for a long time and did not use it. After it was started, and at idle it works well, and when you press the gas it can stall. Why stalls? The reason is a sticky carburetor injector valve. Of course, this is not 100%, but the probability of such a malfunction is high. We recommend reading an article about the device and repair of the Stihl 180 carburetor.
In order to check the injector, it is necessary to remove the carburetor and disassemble it. To remove, it is necessary to unscrew the two nuts securing the air filter and the carburetor, and then remove the air filter and the engine control lever, while disconnecting the choke control rod from the carburetor. Next, you need to pull the carburetor slightly towards you, and disconnect the fuel supply hose.
Having removed the carburetor, it must be blown out and cleaned of dirt, only after that the carburetor can be unscrewed.
It is necessary to unscrew the cover of the main chamber of the carburetor, this is the one on which the compensator is installed on top. Further, using a bolt of 8 mm and a length of at least 50 mm. Knock out the valve.
After the nozzle is removed, you can blow it out with a compressor. The valve should only let air through in one direction, if you can freely blow the valve in both directions, then it is defective and must be replaced with a new one. Collect the chainsaw after the valve is repaired, it is necessary to follow the reverse sequence of disassembly.
To see clearly how the carburetor is being repaired, or rather, how to properly knock out the injector valve from the carburetor body, you can look.
Another common reason a saw can stall when revving up is air leaks into the carburetor. It is possible to check this only with a special tool, but it is worth noting that if maintenance work on the carburetor has not been carried out for a long time, then a new set of gaskets can be installed in the carburetor. In some cases, this helps to solve the problem with its depressurization.
When disassembling the carburetor to replace the gaskets, you need to carefully inspect its needle valve, press the rocker arm and check its lifting. Sometimes, especially after the Stihl chainsaw has stood for a long time with fuel in the carburetor, the needle may burn to the carburetor body and not perform its functions. Simply put, the needle valve will not allow the fuel mixture to pass through. In this case, the saw will not work.
Why stalls at full speed
Very often you can hear the question why the chainsaw stalls at full speed. There may be several reasons. First, you need to consider how the saw stalled. Suppose the tool worked normally and suddenly, for no apparent reason, it suddenly stalled and the starter did not turn. In such a situation, you can be 100% sure that the chainsaw is jammed and you need to start its overhaul.
The second situation is when the Stihl 180 chainsaw worked normally, then gradually lost power in a short time and stalled, while the cylinder overheated. In this case, most likely the reason is air leaks under the rubber pipe connecting the carburetor to the cylinder or its rupture. The mixture was depleted, resulting in overheating. You can eliminate the cause by changing the pipe.
Why stalls at idle
The first and most common cause of this malfunction is improper carburetor adjustment. You can adjust the idle speed yourself, for this you need to have a Stihl adjusting screwdriver, which is supplied with the unit. The adjustment hole is located on the right side of the Stihl 180 saw on the handle and is marked with "-" and "".
If the Stihl chainsaw does not keep revving and stalls at idle, you can be almost 90% sure that it has irregularities in the fuel pump operation system, as a rule, it is air leaks into the crankcase through the oil pan gasket, or, much more often, through the oil seals crankshaft. Air leaks reduce or completely stop the impulse that is fed through special channels to the fuel pump of the chainsaw. As a result, the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not receive the required amount of fuel and stalls at idle.
Diagnostics can be carried out using a special device called a vacuum gauge.
The second way to check the performance of the oil seals is to pour gasoline into the crankcase and look at them, if the oil seals let gasoline pass, then they cannot provide normal pressure in the crankcase, which will make idle work impossible. And when operating at high speeds, with leaking oil seals, there is a possibility of seizure of the crankshaft bearings.
The algorithm for checking the crankcase and Stihl 180 oil seals for leaks is as follows:
- Removable top cover.
- Dismantle the air filter housing and carburetor.
- The handle of the chainsaw is removed.
- The starter spins and retracts.
- On the opposite side from the starter, the side cover and the drive sprocket are removed.
- A piston stopper is installed in the spark plug hole or a string from the old starter with knots imposed on it is stuffed into the cylinder.
- The flywheel and clutch are unscrewed, after which the parts are removed. It is worth knowing that the chainsaw clutch has a left-hand thread and unscrews clockwise.
- The gear wheel of the drive of the oil pump is removed.
Having disassembled the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, you can see the oil seals, then you need to fill the crankcase with gasoline and check the leakage. The crankcase can be filled through the fuel window in the cylinder; for this, the piston must be raised as high as possible. If leaks are found, it is necessary to replace the defective oil seals, or re-seal the pallet. You can assemble Stihl 180 by following the reverse sequence of the algorithm.
The first thing to check is the fuel filter.
In some cases, a filter that is clogged with dirt is unable to pass enough fuel mixture through it. Accordingly, a fuel shortage arises in the system, which leads to the fact that when you press the gas of the chainsaw, the fuel burns out, and the new one does not have time to enter, as a result of which the Stihl chainsaw stalls. Also, with a clogged fuel filter, there may be a noticeable drop in the power of the chainsaw at maximum speed, but this is with slight contamination.
For what reasons Stihl 180 stalls at idle or full throttle
Any tool can break and the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is no exception. Today we will try to figure out such questions as: why the chainsaw stalls when the speed increases, also at idle and at full speed. Consider the options for diagnosing and eliminating malfunctions associated with this behavior of the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
When you press the gas, the chainsaw starts to stall. causes and solutions to the problem
The chainsaw is a highly efficient tool for working with wood. However, the high-speed motor of this tool can be used for a variety of other tasks, which is achieved through special attachments. Sometimes a malfunction such as the chainsaw stalls when you press the gas, which can be triggered by some factors. In order not to have to disassemble the tool completely, we will consider all kinds of causes of this problem with a detailed description of how to fix them.
Adjusting the carburetor when the engine stalls while accelerating
If the check showed that the fuel supply system, muffler and spark plug are in good working order, then you need to look for a breakdown in other places. Initially, do not rush to disassemble the cylinder-piston group or change the carburetor. It is recommended to start repairs by adjusting the carburetor. For this, all chainsaws have special adjusting screws. They are designed to adjust the idle speed, as well as adjust the fuel supply at low and high speeds. A detailed description of how to adjust the carburetor of a chainsaw is described on the website.
Today we will consider the features of tuning the carburetor at maximum speed. You can make sure that the chainsaw does not develop full power using a tachometer. If there is no device, then you can make sure that the engine does not develop maximum speed by ear. We are interested in the screw on the carburetor. Which is designed to tune high rpm. It is usually denoted by the Latin letter "H", which is abbreviated from the word "High" (high or large).
To adjust the high speed of the chainsaw, you will need to perform the following manipulations:
- Tighten screw H clockwise until it stops.
- Next, you need to loosen it by 1.25-1.5 turns
- Run the tool and test the speed performance
It is recommended that the adjustment be performed using a tachometer, but if it is not there, then you can check the maximum revolutions when using the tool under load.
After trivial tuning the carburetor, you can fix the problem with the termination of the engine when the speed rises. It should be noted that it is necessary to adjust the carburetor of the chainsaw regularly, depending on the frequency of operation of the tool. It is not difficult to do this yourself, but you can achieve accurate tuning in one case. if you use a tachometer.
The chainsaw stalls at high speeds. simple carburetor repair
The carburetor of the instrument is exactly the mechanism that most owners are afraid to disassemble on their own. The reason is that this mechanism consists of many small parts, the location of which must be remembered when carrying out dismantling work. However, not everything is as scary and difficult as it might seem. To understand how the carburetor has to do with the problem of stopping the engine when the engine speed increases, you need to find out its principle of operation, described on the website.
The chainsaw stalls when you press the gas due to the carburetor, if:
- Diaphragm damaged
- Clogged filter element (mesh in the carburetor). This malfunction may be encountered by owners of tools who do not have a fuel filter or it is simply disconnected from the fuel hose.
- Needle sticking, possibly due to outdated fuel mixture
- Clogged nozzles or clogged carburetor
- Bending of the connecting part connecting the membrane with the needle to supply fuel to the fuel chamber of the carburetor. This part is also called a foot, since under the influence of the membrane on it, the needle moves and the channel opens. During operation, this foot can bend (work out) or break (the engine will not start if it breaks). If the foot is bent, then it can be unbent, but this does not guarantee that the problem will soon recur, therefore it is recommended to replace the part
It is recommended to clean and wash the chainsaw carburetor, and replace faulty parts and elements. After that, you can put it back, not forgetting to also replace (if worn out) the gasket between the carburetor and the adapter.
Why else can a chainsaw stall when you press the gas
If, after adjusting the carburetor of the chainsaw, the problem remains, then a number of other factors should be checked. There are enough of such factors, and their verification must be carried out sequentially, moving from the easier to the more complex. It is in this order that we will consider all the reasons why the chainsaw does not develop high revs, and at the same time stalls. It should be noted that at the same time the tool starts up and works properly at idle speed.
- Check the chain tension. if the cutting element is tightened too much, this will put a heavy load on the engine. In this case, it will be difficult for a high-speed engine to turn the chain, as a result of which we get its termination. The problem can be corrected if the chain tension is correctly adjusted. The chain should rotate easily by hand, but keep in mind that at XX it should not move. If the chain moves at idle speed, then you need to adjust the upper screw XX
- The quality of the fuel mixture and the correctness of its preparation. It is recommended to use AI-92 gasoline for the chainsaw. It is mixed with two-stroke oil in appropriate proportions. Although the mixing ratio is indicated on the label of the container with oil, you must use the data indicated by the tool manufacturer. The optimal value for the mixture of gasoline and oil is 40/1, that is, 25 ml of oil must be added to 1 liter of gasoline. The proportion means that for 40 liters of gasoline you need to add 1 liter of oil. If you do not adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations, then in the end this negatively affects the operation of the carburetor and the serviceability of the CPG
- Silencer. Very often sawfillers do not pay enough attention to the exhaust system of the tool. If the muffler is clogged, and this necessarily happens over time, this negatively affects the operation of the motor. Silencers on chainsaws are collapsible and non-collapsible. In non-separable devices, the connections are flared, therefore, in case of clogging, you need to either replace the part, or flare for cleaning. A clogged muffler affects the operation of the tool, so do not wait until the chainsaw stops starting
- Air leaks. parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw are connected to the cylinder through gaskets. As a result, such connections are airtight, which is important for the operation of the internal combustion engine. Tightening the bolts and nuts that secure the carburetor and muffler will help to verify such a malfunction. Leakage can also occur due to deterioration of the gaskets, which must be replaced on the tool
- Fuel and air filters are elements responsible for filtering the air and the fuel mixture. If the air filter is clogged, increasing the throttle opening will not allow enough air to enter the carburetor, causing the spark plug to flood. As a result, the engine will stall when trying to develop maximum speed. If the fuel filter is defective, the required amount of fuel does not enter the carburetor. Its lack leads to the fact that the tool cannot develop momentum, and immediately starts to stall
- The presence of a fuel filter. This element can not only become clogged, but also detach from the fuel hose. As a result, it turns out that dirt will get into the carburetor, which will very quickly disable the mechanism
- A breather is a hole through which air enters the chainsaw tank, thereby eliminating the creation of a vacuum inside a sealed container. The breather is located on the gas tank cap or can be built into the tank wall. The principle of its operation is such that as the gasoline in the tank is consumed, the tank is filled with air. If the breather is defective, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents fuel from being pumped into the carburetor. The breather allows air to pass in one direction, and eliminates the possibility of fuel leakage from the tank. You can repair the part with a thin needle that punches a hole
- CPG malfunction. the chainsaw does not pick up speed also if the cylinder-piston group is worn out. To identify this reason, it is not at all necessary to disassemble the engine to look inside. A compressor should be used to check the amount of compression. The normal value should be at least 12 atmospheres, and if the value is lower, then the CPG must be replaced
- Ignition System. If the engine starts, it is unlikely that the problem is an electrical malfunction. However, it will not be superfluous to unscrew the spark plug and visually inspect it. The presence of black carbon indicates the need to check the ignition. The first step is to check the gap between the ignition module and the flywheel, the value of which should be 0.25 mm. The integrity of the armored wire is also checked, and if it is damaged, then it must be replaced along with the module. Spark plugs have an appropriate resource, so they need to be changed, pre-setting a gap of 0.5-0.7 mm (indicated in the technical description for each tool model)
If checking all the reasons does not allow a positive result to be achieved, then the carburetor of the chainsaw should be removed and cleaned.
Where to look for the reason or where to start checking
All chainsaws have the same design and work according to the same principle. The chainsaw device can be found in this material. It does not matter which brand of tool. Stihl, Husqvarna, ECHO, Champion, Partner, Sturm and others. A malfunction that manifests itself in the form when the chainsaw stalls when the gas is pressed can occur equally both on expensive and high-quality tools and on budget Chinese devices. If a problem occurs, then it needs to be solved.
A chainsaw is a system of mechanisms consisting of parts. Any part in the mechanism can fail, which will lead to partial or complete failure of the tool. If the engine of the tool starts, this does not mean that the chainsaw is completely operational. When the engine stops working when the engine speed rises, then there are corresponding reasons. With this malfunction, attention should be paid initially to a number of the following tool mechanisms:
- Gas tank. make sure there is fuel. If there is sufficient fuel, you should also check the serviceability of the fuel filter, the presence of a connection of the supply hose with the carburetor, and also make sure that the breather is working
These are the main parts and mechanisms that should be checked first if a malfunction occurs when the chainsaw stalls when the accelerator is pressed. There are other reasons why the chainsaw engine stalls when the gas trigger is pulled. What else can contribute to the occurrence of this malfunction, as well as the features of eliminating breakdowns, we will find out further.
Why the chainsaw stalls when the accelerator is pressed. summing up
When making an upgrade for the reasons why the saw stalls after you press the gas, you need to take stock of all sorts of reasons and their elimination. The reasons can be conditionally divided into two parts. simple and complex. You need to start troubleshooting with simple reasons, and end with more complex ones.
You definitely need to start the check from the tank, not from the carburetor, but from the gas tank. And make sure to use a properly prepared mixture. Next, you need to check the serviceability of the muffler and the presence of carbon deposits on the spark plug. After that, you will already have an idea of in which part of the tool you need to look for a breakdown. Perhaps a breakdown is. That you just need to wind up the maximum speed, for which the carburetor is tuned. If this does not solve the problem, then you should check the air filter and clean it.
Pay special attention to the carburetor, after cleaning and possibly repairing which the chainsaw should work like new. If even after this the problem remains, then do not be too lazy to check the amount of compression. Perhaps the engine has a strong performance and needs to be replaced.
This completes the upgrade to restore the tool’s performance, and it is worth noting one more point, such as the use of fuel that is stored for a long time. Many people dilute gasoline with oil, and store the mixture for months, and sometimes for six months. This cannot be done in any way, since the mixture has the properties of aging, and therefore, after its preparation, it must be used within 1-2 weeks. If you do not follow this recommendation, then you will need to often change not only the fuel filters, but also clean the carburetor, but the worst thing is that this contributes to accelerated wear of the CPG.
If you notice that the chainsaw starts without any problems without warming up, and after warming up it stalls. And it will not start until it cools down, then here, there may be several problems.
Firstly, it is possible that somewhere there is a suction of a hose, an oil seal or a gasket. Second, inspect the muffler for carbon deposits. The third reason is in the cylinder-piston group (CPG), whether there are scoring or irregularities there.
Sometimes carburetor adjustment is required. Another important cause of the malfunction is the ignition coil. In cases where it fails, the spark is lost or becomes very weak, which is not enough to ignite the fuel mixture.
There are cases when the master is trying hard to the engine, then on cold, then on hot, thereby pumping fuel. Here you need to pull yourself together, switch the damper to "hot start" and gradually start the instrument. At the same time we knock down the speed to almost idle level and it warms up for 40-45 seconds.
Saw turns off when turning
In a horizontal position, the fuel pipe is at the bottom of the tank, but if the tool is tilted, the fuel cannot completely cover it. This is the reason that the chainsaw stops working when tilted, as the tube levitates in the air and does not receive the right amount of mixture.
Turns off under load
Powerful chainsaws often stall under load. Most likely, your fuel filter is clogged and needs to be replaced. If this does not help, then you need to check the quality of the fuel mixture and prepare a new one.
What to do if a chainsaw stalls
Hello dear subscribers and readers of my blog! Andrei Noak is in touch. We continue the theme of chainsaws. So, I already said before about what should be checked in a chainsaw in order to know the cause of its malfunction. Today I will move on to more valuable instructions so that you do not look for the cause of the problem for a long time and know roughly how to solve it. The chainsaw is not the most difficult tool, but it needs to be properly looked after. There are different cases, sometimes the chainsaw stalls when you press the gas, sometimes under load, and sometimes it does not idle at all. Let’s look at different situations together and try to find the right solution.
If you find that the tool does not start at all and stalls, then you do not need to rush to the service center right away, you can try to solve the problem yourself.
Stalls at idle
Sometimes the saw stalls at idle, and a clogged muffler is a common cause of breakdown. It can be easily cleaned by yourself, you do not need a qualified specialist for this.
To adjust the carburetor, you need to find two bolts with the letters L and H. The latter needs to be turned, slightly, only half a turn. He is responsible for the revolutions of the tool and, if necessary, will raise the idle speed.
Checking the main chainsaw systems
We check each system sequentially:
- Fuel tank. Perhaps there is not enough fuel or it is of poor quality.
- The next test is the spark plug and high-voltage wire. Please note that the gap of the candle normally does not exceed half a millimeter.
- If the above items are checked and working correctly, move on to the carburetor and fuel filter. With a breakdown of the carburetor, contact a specialist.