Chainsaw Won’T Start Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna (Husqvarna) chainsaws 142 Review of Husqvarna (Husqvarna) chainsaws 142: their repair, technical characteristics, device, malfunctions and their elimination, advantages
What to do if your Husqvarna 142 chainsaw won’t start?
The most common cause of this problem is the spark plug. If the saw does not start either cold or hot, then you need to carefully examine the candle.
If the spark plug is completely dry, it means that the fuel does not enter the cylinder. In this case, you need to inspect the fuel pipes, through which the fuel must circulate. Defective hoses will need to be replaced and carbon deposits removed from the engine cylinder.
If carbon deposits and a large amount of fuel were found on the spark plug, it means that the part is flooded with fuel during start-up. To fix the problem, you will need to unscrew the candle, clean and dry it. All internal space under the part must also be blown out with compressed air from a cylinder and wiped off with a towel.
After the steps taken, the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw will start the first or second time. To avoid such problems, only high-quality gasoline and oil should be used to refuel the tool.
Chainsaws Husqvarna (Husqvarna) 142
The Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is a reliable, economical and easy-to-use household tool. The model is distinguished by a solid reserve of power and torque, which makes it possible to operate it not only in private households, but also during felling. High build quality and a number of useful features allow the saw to be used in the most difficult weather conditions.
DIY Husqvarna 142 chainsaw carburetor adjustment
Adjusting the carburetor of the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw makes it possible to get rid of a number of problems.
Their list includes:
- Slow engine acceleration;
- Inability to achieve maximum torque;
- Frequent engine shutdown;
- The appearance of loud knocks during the operation of the instrument;
- An increase in the amount of fuel consumed.
Failure to adjust the saw carburetor in time will lead to more serious damage from which the engine and ignition system will suffer.
As indicated by the operating instructions, the carburetor adjustment of the Husqvarna 142 must be done in the following order:
- First you need to start the saw and let the engine warm up;
- Further, the screw L will need to be turned until the highest engine speed is reached in idle mode;
- Once the maximum rpm is reached, screw L will need to be turned 1/4 turn in the opposite direction. If during this the saw chain starts to rotate, then the screw T should be turned against the clock hand until the chain stops completely:
- Adjustment of screw H is carried out at a 10-second interval of engine operation at maximum speed. In this case, the screw should be gradually turned 1/4 turn in the direction of the clock hand. If during this the saw motor does not pick up maximum speed, then the screw will need to be turned again 1/4 turn. Too low revs will be accompanied by a loud squeal of the instrument, and too high an increase in the amount of exhaust gases;
- To adjust the screw T, turn it in the same direction as the clock hand until the chain starts rotating. Immediately after this, the screw must be turned in the opposite direction until the chain stops.
By doing all of these steps, the owner of the Husqvarna 142 will be able to stabilize the tool, reduce fuel consumption, and protect critical saw parts from increased stress.
Chainsaw device Husqvarna 142
The Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is equipped with a motor using proprietary X-Torq technology. Thanks to this, the engine consumes less fuel without losing efficiency and efficiency during operation.
Husqvarna uses Air Injection to cool the engine, which extends the interval between air filter changes and also reduces wear on critical engine parts. To dampen vibration, the saw is equipped with another proprietary LowVib technology. It consists of several dampers, which act as a kind of shock absorbers.
The Husqvarna 142 saw comes with a Japanese Walbro carburetor. It is distinguished by its durability and increased volume, which makes it possible to prepare a large amount of a fuel mixture in one cycle.
The internal combustion engine is started using a manual starter. Thanks to the SmartStart function, its resistance has been reduced by 40%. The starter rope is located at the rear of the tool. Next to it are other controls: the throttle position switch, the throttle lever, and the ignition on and off button.
A branded tire and chain are responsible for cutting wood. To tension the chain, there is a separate sprocket on the side of the chainsaw, this allows you to adjust the saw element without using tools. During the operation of the saw, the chain is automatically lubricated.
All internal mechanisms and parts of the Husqvarna 142 are housed under a robust housing made of multi-layer plastic. It can withstand low falls and accidental impacts on hard objects. For convenient use of the tool, its complete set includes 2 rubberized handles.
The feller is protected by a right hand guard and an effective chain brake. It is triggered immediately when the chain hits nails or other hard objects.
The Husqvarna 142 chainsaw has solid technical parameters. These include:
- Power 2.7 liters. From.;
- Maximum rotation speed 13000 rpm;
- Fuel tank capacity 410 ml;
- Oil tank capacity 200 ml;
- Recommended tire length 3540 cm;
- Chain pitch 0.325;
- Assembled weight 5 kg.
Thanks to its good performance, the Husqvarna 142 can be used not only for garden maintenance, but also for felling. The tool successfully copes with pruning branches and twigs, clearing shrubs, as well as cutting trees with a trunk diameter not exceeding 45 cm. The low weight of the saw makes it possible to use it at high heights.
Husqvarna 142 chainsaw malfunctions and solutions
There are a number of typical breakdowns that owners of a Husqvarna 142 chainsaw most often encounter. To be able to repair them yourself, you will need to understand the symptoms of the problem and find the faulty part.
Chainsaw starts and stalls repair methods
If the Husqvarna 142 starts up and immediately stalls, the main reason for this lies in the wear of the rings, which leads to loss of compression. If the engine starts and stalls during a cold start, then the muffler should be checked, as well as the contact between the high-voltage wire and the spark plugs.
To fix the malfunction, you will need to disassemble the saw and inspect the piston rings. They must be replaced if necessary. It will not be superfluous to clean the cylinder walls from fuel residues.
If the rings are in good order, then you need to inspect the contact between the spark plugs and the chainsaw wire. You also need to clean, remove the muffler and inspect its walls. As a result of prolonged use of the tool, a thick layer of carbon deposits accumulates on the walls of the muffler. In this case, you will need to blow the element with compressed air from a cylinder.
After completing all the listed procedures, you need to assemble the tool and start it. Before using the saw, give it a few minutes to warm up the engine. Then you can continue to use the tool in normal mode.
Here at Husqvarna 142 is a classic minimum. They are represented by a switch that takes the On or Off position, a choke position lever that can be in one of three positions, and a combined throttle position control lever with a stopper. Only “suction” is required here. Between the fixed positions of the open and closed throttle, there is a third stable position corresponding to the half open throttle of the chainsaw carburetor. It is used when starting a cold engine after several jerks with a closed choke starter. Husqvarna 142 has no primer. Primary fuel pumping is carried out using the starter handle. Well, the fewer the nodes, the less breakdowns!
Troubleshooting and DIY repair
Malfunctions are simple, if they do not require disassembling the chainsaw to eliminate them. For Husqvarna 142, the methods of finding them, as well as eliminating them, are no different: it all comes down to checking the condition of the spark plug, the fuel level in the tank, etc.
In the event of easy-to-fix malfunctions, it is necessary to remove individual units, replace them or repair and then assemble the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw. This is how the shock absorbers or carburetor are replaced and the starter is repaired.
If the chain is not lubricated, then we recommend that you look in which the lubrication system, its disassembly and assembly is considered in detail.
In the event of complex faults, complete disassembly is required. The device of the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is not complicated, but you must be sure that for a quality repair you can:
- Receive drawings of the device with a description and detailing is within your power;
- Carry out troubleshooting and reassembly.
Is it worth it to independently repair the piston group of the Husqvarna 142? For a high-quality overhaul, you must have at least accurate instruments, a micrometer and an internal gauge, which can cost you more than spare parts. If you decide to do a major overhaul, then we recommend that you look, which consistently shows how to disassemble Husqvarna 142, and our article on repairing Husqvarna chainsaws.
- Type: air-cooled two-stroke
- Working volume: 40 cm 3
- Power 1.9 kW (2.58 HP)
- Type: CD (capacitor ignition)
- Applicable spark plug type: Champion RCJ7Y
- Electrode distance: 0.5mm
- Fuel tank capacity: 0.37L
- Gasoline-to-oil volumetric ratio: 50 to 1
- Recommended gasoline: high octane unleaded
Chain lubrication system
- Tank capacity: 0.19 L
- Tire length: 15in / 38cm
- Chain pitch: 0.325 inch
- Noise level: 98108 dB depending on measurement method
- Chainsaw dry weight without bar and chain: 4.8 kg
Analysis of the data presented allows us to note 3 interesting features. Firstly, the Husqvarna 142 has quite enough power for a household chainsaw, less than the average power of professional saws of the same manufacturer by about 20%. Secondly, its cutting head is standard for Husqvarna and, if necessary, replacement will not lead to a long search or waiting. Thirdly, the manufacturer focuses on undemanding gasoline quality, without indicating the minimum permissible octane number. Therefore, the conclusion at the first step of the review is as follows: the characteristics of the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw are suitable not only for working in the country, but also for semi-professional use.
Husqvarna 142 chainsaw review, from device to repair
The Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is a household tool and is used only for sawing wood materials. Its distinguishing feature: the affordability of a well-known brand is combined with impressive technical characteristics. Check out the results of our review and see for yourself.
Husqvarna 142 in use
The fuel mixture was prepared by us on the basis of AI 92 gasoline and Husqvarna HP branded two-stroke oil in a 50 to 1 ratio. 33 to 1.
We operated Husqvarna 142 for about an hour. It fits perfectly as a household chainsaw: almost complete absence of vibrations in the hands, quite tolerable noise level and, most importantly, excellent cutting ability. Trunks of fresh pine and dry birch with a diameter of 26 cm were repeatedly sawn for an average of 7 seconds each. The dry oak gave in a little more slowly; it took about 14 seconds to cut a log with a diameter of 24 cm. Sawing speeds are slightly lower than those of the professional chainsaws that we tested, but these are also saws of a different order of magnitude. The Husqvarna 142 is not afraid of working at full power, high revs are even recommended by the instructions. The brake is applied perfectly, the chain stops instantly.
The Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is available with a fuel setting and chain tension adjustment. As with most chainsaws, the tension is done using the adjusting screw; termination criterion the chain does not sag and, at the same time, easily walks on the bus. Carburetor adjustment is required when weather conditions and fuel quality change. Symptoms for which it is necessary are as follows: the chain rotates at idle speed, the chainsaw stalls when you press the gas, does not develop speed, and slows down strongly when cutting. If you have a need to tune your chainsaw, we recommend reading our article on how to adjust the Husqvarna carburetor in which all the nuances of adjusting Husqvarna saws are discussed in detail, and also read this
Does not start
Over time, the chain saw may intermittently. Possible malfunction, the device starts and stalls or the chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hidden in different nodes:
- It is necessary to replace the fuel filter due to its contamination;
- Breakthrough of the fuel line and gasoline leakage;
- Malfunctioning spark plugs or coils;
- Breakdown of the control button;
- There is a strong air leak in the carburetor;
- Sticking rings;
- Carburetor not adjusted correctly.
If it is necessary to replace parts, it is better to purchase original elements, otherwise this may affect the performance of the device.
Maintenance and repair
The instruction manual for the product is recommended by the manufacturer to be studied before starting work. It is also with her that you need to start repairing the Husqvarna 142 chainsaw. The book contains the following information:
- Safe use of the tool, required protective equipment.
- Running in the device.
- Assembly and start-up of equipment. This item is especially useful for beginners.
- Major malfunctions and remedies.
- Information about the maintenance, cleaning and correct operation of your chainsaw.
- Description of saw sharpening, tools required for this.
The manufacturer does not save on material and mechanisms for electrical equipment. The chainsaw will become a reliable assistant on the personal plot, for wood harvesting and processing, for felling trunks up to 30 cm in diameter and in the construction of small private facilities. The device has the following features:
- Scope of use: harvesting firewood, shaping tree crowns, cutting timber for private construction.
- The short and comfortable tires allow you to work in hard-to-reach places for professional saws.
- No special skills are required from the employee. After studying the instructions, you can start sawing.
Husqvarna chainsaw design features:
- Savings in oil and fuel consumption due to stable traction characteristics of the unit.
- Convenient configuration of controls and switching, comfortable work with the tool. Uniform distribution of the weight of the device between the main components of the structure.
- Easy starting is ensured by a recoil starter, a booster pump and electronic ignition. The device operates in extreme temperatures.
- Effective system for damping local vibration.
- Availability of settings for components and assemblies.
- Possibility of using an alternative working headset.
- Forged steel crankshaft. The cylinder liner has a wear-resistant chrome finish.
- 2 compression rings in the piston group, increasing the working life up to 5 years.
- Simplified access to the air filter.
- Reliable Japanese carburetor and durable ignition system.
- Undemanding saw to the quality of gasoline.
Husqvarna 142 chainsaw specifications:
- Weight 4.6 kg;
- Power 1.9 kW;
- Two-stroke engine with a volume of 40.2 cm³;
- The chain on the chainsaw has a pitch of 0.325 ″;
- The volume of the fuel system tank is 0.41 l;
- Lubrication system with oil tank 0.2 l.
The model is distinguished by a dense layout, convenient access to filling tanks and control units. The ergonomic shape of the handles ensures a secure grip when performing difficult jobs.
The controls are presented to a minimum. These are the switch, choke position lever, and combined throttle control lever with stop. Simplicity and minimalism in management guarantee fewer malfunctions.
Disassembly and assembly
To eliminate breakdowns, you will need to disassemble the tool. It is important to remember the location of the parts for reassembly. This will help the chainsaw diagram, in which all the nodes and elements are indicated. The instrument is disassembled:
- When checking spark plugs;
- When replacing shock absorbers;
- When repairing a starter;
- When replacing the carburetor.
Before embarking on a complex piston group repair on your own, make sure that you are up to the task. To do this, you will have to purchase precision instruments, a bore meter and a micrometer.
Review of a convenient and reliable Swedish-made Husqvarna 142 chainsaw
A quality model from the Swedish company Husqvarna 142 chainsaw is a lightweight unit for household use, with the manufacturer’s declared reliability, durability and high performance. Its characteristics allow the device to be used for semi-professional purposes. The design of the model is made in a classic style with the use of modern technologies. The manufacturer took care of the operator’s comforte while working with the device.
How to adjust the carburetor
In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the carburetor of the chainsaw. It is detailed in the manual and must be performed under the following conditions:
- Clean air filter;
- Warmed up to the operating temperature of the chain saw.
Steps for adjusting the carburetor on a chainsaw using screws:
- Prepare the tool with a special screwdriver for screws with non-standard slots.
- Remove dirt and dust from the device and its components.
- Turn screws H and L 1.5 turns, loosen screw T.
- Starting and warming up the saw for 2-3 minutes.
- Bring the screw L to the maximum idle speed, turn the screw 90 counterclockwise.
- Increase idle speed gradually by tightening screw T.
- Adjust the maximum engine speed with screw H. It is best to use an electronic tachometer for this.
Adjusting the carburetor of a Husqvarna chainsaw with your own hands went right if the unit started without problems. It may be necessary to additionally adjust the carburetor on your Husqvarna chainsaw if you use a different fuel mixture or change the tool’s summer mode to winter.
Husqvarna chainsaws major faults
The Swedish manufacturer’s tool can turn hard work into a simple task. Chainsaw models Husqvarna 137, Husqvarna 240 and Husqvarna 365 features three features:
- High engine power;
- Improved engine filtration system;
- The ability to absorb unnecessary vibrations.
If the tool is operated strictly according to the instructions and its malfunctions are eliminated in a timely manner, then it will delight with reliable and stable operation. Correctly carried out repairs with original spare parts will allow you to use the saw for a long time.
The main cause of chainsaw breakdown is most often engine failures, which can manifest as follows:
- Do not start;
- Unstable work at idle;
- Start up and immediately stall;
- Do not have enough power.
In this case, the malfunction should be sought in the ignition system, piston group or fuel system. Often, the reason for poor performance of the tool can be associated with the clutch, brake system, lubrication mechanisms, tire.
DIY Stihl chainsaw repair
This brand is very popular among both individuals and professionals. This easy-to-use and reliable tool can last a long time without repair. There are situations when the Stihl chainsaw does not start or stalls right after the factory. You can find out what to do in these cases by looking at the instructions.
Fuel supply system
If fuel does not enter the chainsaw tank, then this may be two reasons:
- The filter is clogged.
- Lid clogged.
In this case, the fuel is not supplied in full, and the tool does not start or starts and immediately stalls. The repair consists of cleaning the air filter and cover.
The filter must be removed very carefully so that dirt that clogs it does not get into the carburetor. It is cleaned and washed with ordinary detergents.
The heart of any chainsaw is the carburetor, which is responsible for most tool breakdowns.
Do-it-yourself repair of this unit consists of disassembly and cleaning. If the breakdown is serious, then contact the service center for help.
Most often, tool malfunctions are associated with the use of gasoline or low quality oil. To protect the carburetor from damage, it is necessary to follow some preventive measures:
- Start the chainsaw strictly according to the instructions.
- It is not recommended to store gasoline in a plastic container. This will help to avoid heavy carbon deposits.
- The fuel mixture cannot be stored for a long time, as it loses its quality over time.
Do-it-yourself repair of a Husqvarna 240 chainsaw, and of any other model, should begin by finding a fault in the ignition system.
First of all, experts recommend get and inspect a candle. The state of this element will indicate deficiencies in the operation of the fuel system.
- If the plug is completely dry, then the fuel mixture does not enter the cylinder. In this case, the plug is screwed into place and the fuel system is repaired.
- If the spark plug is heavily flooded with a fuel mixture, then the rules for starting the unit may be violated, or the carburetor is poorly adjusted. Shut off the fuel supply and start the starter. This is done in order to remove excess fuel. The candle must first be cleaned with a sharp object, then washed with detergents, dried with a hair dryer and reinstalled. After that, the tool is launched and its work is checked.
- If there are no fuel residues on the spark plug, then it must be cleaned, washed and checked for a spark. Its absence may indicate a violation of the gap between the flywheel and its magnetic circuit or a breakdown of the ignition module.
A malfunction in the ignition system can be associated with the use of poor oil or with an incorrect ratio of gasoline and oil.
DIY repair of Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws:
Chainsaws, simple in design and reliable in operation, are very popular among owners of private houses and summer residents. When handled correctly, this tool will last a long time and rarely break. Over, it will not be difficult to eliminate the cause of the chainsaw malfunction with your own hands, especially if you know where to look for the cause.