Choice Of A Network Screwdriver For Home
7 tips for choosing a quality screwdriver
Advice from experienced craftsmen on choosing a quality screwdriver for construction work and home repairs. How to choose the right screwdriver in 2017.
So, so that you know what to look for when choosing the right model for your conditions of use, we bring to your attention a few important tips from experienced craftsmen:
- Consider the tool torque (measured in Newton meters, [Nm]). If you need to screw / unscrew small screws in drywall and boards, it is enough to choose a model with a torque of no more than 30 Nm. For professional construction and roofing work, it is better to choose a model with a torque of over 40 Nm.
- When drilling holes in concrete and brick, it is better to opt for an impact screwdriver. Most modern models include this feature, but some may not have it, so it’s best to double-check it is there.
- The backlight above the start button will not hurt. Of course, some experts argue that the location of the flashlight above the battery is more effective, but one way or another, when choosing a screwdriver, pay attention to the fact that the backlight is in any case.
- Avoid the memory foam model. This function requires the battery to be completely discharged before placing it back in the charger. If you accidentally charge an incompletely dead battery on recharge, it will reduce its resource by an unexpired amount. Sometimes, inadvertently, the memory effect can become a whole problem.
- If you need a professional screwdriver for the job, we recommend choosing the more durable model with metal gears. In hobbyist and budget models, there are plastic gears.
- Pay attention to parameters such as ampere hours, which represent the capacity of the battery. For a home, the choice of a 1.5-2 Ah screwdriver will be quite reasonable. If you want to choose a power tool for construction, try to find a battery with a larger capacity, but keep in mind that it will cost more.
- Also, you should know which brand is the best screwdriver. Among the leading manufacturers are Bosch (Bosch), Makita (Makita), Hitachi (Hitachi), Metabo (Metabo). Better to overpay a little money and choose a quality tool. From Russian production, ZUBR and Interskol have good quality.
Comparison of screwdrivers from different manufacturers, you can look at:
Briefly about the varieties of the instrument
Today, there are several main types of screwdrivers, so the choice of the one that is suitable in price and quality should be carried out after you are familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each version. So, manufacturers of power tools produce the following models of screwdrivers, which you can choose not only for home and summer cottages, but also for work:
- Network (electrical) or battery. The first ones work from a 220V network, which is convenient if you need to work in one place next to an outlet (for example, when assembling furniture). Screwdrivers operating from the electrical network do not discharge, but as a disadvantage. Attachment to the outlet, which is not very convenient if you need to work in a place where there is no electricity. In addition, the cord during electrical / installation work will constantly get tangled underfoot, which can also be attributed to the disadvantages of choosing a network screwdriver. Rechargeable models are more popular and, moreover, can hold a charge for more than an hour with active use. They are more often used by both professionals and amateur masters.
- The nutrient is represented by a lithium-ion battery (Li-lon), nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH), lithium-polymer (Li-Pol) or nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd). The lithium-ion battery holds a charge for a long time, quickly charges and, moreover, has no memory effect (we will talk about it below). If you need to choose a quality screwdriver for construction and electrical work, give preference to the cordless model with a lithium-ion battery. The only but significant drawback is the highest cost of such power tools, therefore, it is better not to choose this option for summer cottages and rare repairs in the house. The nickel-metal hydride version of the battery is no less common. Due to its environmental friendliness, all modern manufacturers of screwdrivers are already gradually switching to this version. Among the advantages, one should single out the small dimensions of the battery (and therefore the lower weight of the instrument), and from the disadvantages, the high cost. Another type of battery is a lithium polymer battery. Its development is the most modern. The advantages of such a battery are higher capacity, the disadvantage is the shortest service life compared to analogues. Soon, lithium-polymer batteries for screwdrivers will be finalized and, most likely, will oust their competitors due to their undeniable advantages. Well, the last option that you can choose for your home and garden is a nickel-cadmium battery. Its undoubted advantage is that it is inexpensive, so this option is most often found in budget screwdrivers. In addition, a 5-year shelf life can be considered a positive point (for other options, no more than 3 years). Pros do not give preference to screwdrivers with such a battery. The duration of charging in this case is an order of magnitude longer than in other versions, and besides, there is memory for charging in nickel-cadmium batteries.
- Hexagon or three-jaw chuck. The first type of cartridge is suitable just for home and summer cottages, if repair work is carried out extremely rarely and with the need for frequent replacement of equipment. If you want to choose a professional screwdriver, it is better to give preference to a universal three-jaw chuck, which is also called a keyless chuck. Its advantage is that you can fix any bit or drill, the main thing is that the diameter is appropriate.
- Voltage 12; 14.4 or 18 volts. The higher the voltage, the more the power of the power tool for the electrician. If you need to choose a powerful screwdriver for screwing in long self-tapping screws for metal, moreover, with a large diameter (for example, for roofing work on a roof made of corrugated board), choose an 18-volt model. A 12 V screwdriver will be enough to assemble furniture, housework or a summer residence.
- The number of modes is 1, 2 or 3. The simplest budget models are single-speed. Their speed can be from 0 to 800 rpm. Reliable and popular. Cordless screwdrivers with 2 speeds. From 0 to 400 rpm (for tightening) and from 0 to 1300 rpm (for drilling). The third speed can be found in professional versions. The number of revolutions per minute can reach as much as 3000.
We figured out the main options for execution, now we will provide some useful tips that will help you choose the right screwdriver for home, work and summer cottage. Be sure to review below, which clearly describes all the main parameters of this power tool.
7 tips for choosing a quality screwdriver
Makita 8281DWPE. This 14.4 volt 2-speed nickel-cadmium battery can be used for both construction work and home. The price is justified by the quality and availability of all the necessary functions. Shock mode, fast charging, low weight, comfortable handle.
Bosch PSB 10.8 LI-2 0. An equally suitable option for home use and construction. The quality of Bosch products has been tested by time, and the model itself has a sufficient number of advantages: a good battery, a flashlight, and a lock on the power button. In general, this model justifies its price and we recommend choosing it for home and work.
Hitachi DS12DVF3. We personally use this screwdriver for electrical and construction work. Despite the fact that the model is already outdated and has some drawbacks (an inconvenient place for attaching a bit, a small battery capacity, a small reverse button), its reliability covers all the disadvantages. Particular attention should be paid to the rubberized case (you can clearly see it). How many times our Hitachi fell from a ladder, it is still alive and well working.
Interskol DA-10 / 14.4M2. The undoubted advantage of the domestic manufacturer is the low cost of this model, but at the same time decent quality. This screwdriver has all the features you need, 2 NiCd batteries and a case. Due to its low price, the tool does not lend itself to particular criticism, so choosing this option for the house is the right thing.
We also recommend watching a test drive of the most popular “shura”. On you can clearly see the difference between 12 and 18 volts:
Screwdriver: which tool of the company should you prefer?
The various tools produced by them have long and well established themselves among users. Leading screwdriver manufacturers Makita, Bosch and Hitachi. Their models are designed for a long service life, they are comfortable and reliable. But they have corresponding prices.
You can purchase a simpler but high quality tool. This is, for example, the Skil screwdriver.
How to choose a screwdriver according to technical characteristics?
What are the performance characteristics of the cordless screwdriver?
- Excellent power. The network device provides much higher power during operation than professional battery counterparts. When choosing the right equipment, you should pay attention to this indicator. After all, the more powerful the motor of the tool, the more productive it is. Ordinary household appliances do not have very high power. For professional ones it is much higher.
They are also capable of working without interruption for much longer. When planning small chores, such as fixing a shelf, or assembling furniture, the simplest household tool will be enough.
For complex construction work, when carrying out major repairs, with frequent use of the device, it is better to purchase a professional model. Because in these cases, power will be critical.
- Torque. This indicator indicates the strength of the rotation. The level of quality of work depends on it, the possibility of using the device for fastening materials of various types.
- The torque correlates with the quality of processing: the higher it is, the more materials are allowed to work, the better the job will be.
For domestic use, the device is quite sufficient for the possibility of driving screws into concrete, wood and brick, as well as drilling. Serious work involves completely different, more complex functions. The range of processable materials that are not available to a household appliance is expanding.
- Setting the speed control. This is an important indicator. Since the drill can rotate at different speeds, the ability to adjust it for different types of work, with different materials, allows you to use the tool more efficiently and optimally.
- Reverse. Not all models have this function. What is the reverse for? For example, during home repairs, a working drill suddenly jams. Pulling it out without damaging the material is extremely difficult. This is where the named function comes in handy, allowing you to engage reverse gear. At the same time, the drill can be easily removed without damaging either it or the material being processed.
Corded screwdrivers: the advantages of choosing
In many cases, cordless screwdrivers are much more convenient than cordless ones. Therefore, devices of this type do not lose their popularity. What advantages do they have?
- The master does not need to think and calculate whether the battery charge will be enough for him to complete the work. The device is connected to the network and you can start working.
- Continuous, uninterrupted power supply increases the power of the device and increases the productivity of the worker. In some cases, this is quite important.
- When the battery of the mobile device loses some of its charge, the power of the tool decreases. This affects the speed and quality of his work. The web tool is completely free from this problem. The main thing for him is the presence of a working network.
- The network tool, for obvious reasons, has less weight. Because of this, it is more convenient to use: the hand does not get tired of holding it, and at a time you can accomplish a larger volume of the intended purpose than with a mobile device. When assembling furniture, such a device is more convenient to hold and use.
- The number of revolutions of the network device is higher than that of its fellow cordless screwdriver. The battery is not capable of providing this quality of performance.
- There is no battery, so there is no need to replace it. Specific problems associated with the operation of batteries are completely excluded: the device can operate at subzero temperatures, it is not afraid of temperature changes.
However, there are negative points that it is advisable to remember:
- Hard-to-reach difficult places are often difficult to reach with this type of equipment because the long cable makes it very difficult.
- The tool cord must be of sufficient length to ensure trouble-free and comfortable operation.
For professional work, networked screwdrivers are usually more preferable.
This is due to the fact that in industrial use, uninterrupted operation and its productivity are of priority importance.
For small household and household jobs, an autonomous rechargeable device is sufficient, guaranteeing convenience and complete mobility.
Which screwdriver is better? Selection options
When buying a tool for his home, the owner must take into account certain important parameters.
- Household appliances are usually not capable of developing very high speed, but the available one will be quite enough for screwing a screw into the wall, assembling furniture. For large-scale construction, you will need other equipment.
- Ergonomics indicators play an important role: the nature and quality of use directly depends on the convenient position of the tool in the hand. Sometimes even an expensive branded tool turns out to be inconvenient and ill-suited for comfortable work. It is both uncomfortable and heavy to hold in your hand, and it is impossible to reach the adjustment setting with one hand. Therefore, experts advise, when choosing an instrument, to try to pick it up, hold it, and maybe even turn it on.
- Backlight. The work area lighting feature is useful, but not required. It is used when working in the niches of toilets and bathrooms, in cellars and unlit basements.
- Selecting a speed mode. Not available on all models, however, this option is highly desirable as it facilitates interaction with different types of materials.
- Impact mechanism. An important characteristic, since its presence expands the functions of the device, allowing it to be used as a puncher. This capability is often required when handling solid materials. Often, in modern buildings, a conventional tool cannot cope with hard surfaces, the drilling process becomes impossible. The shock function easily overcomes such obstacles.
Choosing a network screwdriver. For building and repairing a house
For all kinds of construction and repair work, many devices for a wide variety of purposes are used.
The screwdriver is not the last among them. The tool has a self-explanatory name: it is used in order to easily and quickly fix various elements, screw in screws. The market offers a wide variety of device models.
Devices can be divided into stationary network, connected directly to the mains, and mobile battery, which can be used autonomously. It is difficult to say which screwdriver is better, the choice depends on many parameters of its intended use.
Screwdriver: operating rules
In order for the device to serve the owners faithfully for a long time, the operating rules should be followed.
After all, any manufacturer always supplies its product with detailed instructions, which are often ignored by the buyer. And in it there are noted the network parameters important for operation, ensuring uninterrupted operation, additional functions and capabilities of the device.
Of course, you can find out such details from the seller, but carefully read the instructions, as experience shows, it will be more reliable.
Such punctuality will allow the buyer to avoid many possible troubles associated with the operation of the device, up to its repair or damage due to non-compliance with the basic provisions.
To prolong the life of the device, you must follow these points:
It is easy and simple to mount the ceiling, hands do not get tired, since the network screw is lighter
- Prevent liquid from getting on the device: this is quite capable of damaging its motor. You can use the tool in the absence of high humidity, or with proper protection from it.
- Before starting work, the device must be well adjusted, the mode must be selected and set correctly.
- When the nature of the screwdriver’s work changes, the setting mode also changes. It is strictly forbidden to violate this important condition.
- To change the attachment, the device must be disconnected from the mains. Such manipulations cannot be performed with a working device.
- Working with a screwdriver requires the use of special protective gloves. Also, goggles or masks are not superfluous.
Choosing a screwdriver
In this article, we would like to touch on the topic of choosing a screwdriver, take a closer look at their types and, of course, technical characteristics that you should pay attention to when buying this type of tool in order to fully answer a question that has recently arisen more and more often, namely. How to choose a screwdriver for home, cottage or work.
Applications of the screwdriver
- Twisting / unscrewing screws, screws, bolts and other fasteners;
- Drilling holes in wood, metal and brick.
- Stirring building mixtures and paints;
- Drilling holes for winter ice fishing.
There are a huge number of screwdrivers on the market, different in parameters and manufacturers. They are divided into professional and household, depending on the nutrient, cartridge size, power, a number of additional functions, delivery set and price. This division, however, is inherent in almost any instrument.
To begin with, let’s analyze the division by nutrient. Two types can be distinguished: rechargeable (Li-Ion, Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh) and electric, we will talk more about each of them below.
The most modern and most common, today, type of rechargeable batteries, not only in screwdrivers, but also in many other tools (as well as in portable devices that we all use). Modern Li-Ion batteries are designed for three thousand charge-discharge cycles. The rechargeable battery is lightweight and fast enough to charge; moreover, it has no memory to charge.
The main disadvantages are: battery life, which is three years, the need for constant use to get the most out of it, and significant cost.
They appeared on the market for a long time, they are used in many tools, not only in screwdrivers. Designed for one and a half thousand charge-discharge cycles. The shelf life of such batteries is five years, there is also the possibility of working in the cold, at temperatures up to 15 degrees and it is very important for the average buyer, the lowest price of all types of batteries.
The negative aspects of this type of battery are the rather long charging process (at best an hour), the presence of memory for a charge and the significant weight of the battery.
At its core, it is a cross between Li-Ion and Ni-Cd batteries. Found in screwdrivers much less frequently than the types of batteries described above. The number of charge-discharge cycles varies about a thousand. It has practically no memory for a charge, and has the lowest self-discharge among all types of batteries. Of the minuses, one cannot but note the weight.
All batteries differ in capacity and battery voltage.
Capacity is measured in amperes per hour (Ah). The higher this indicator, the more the battery is capable of carrying a charge, respectively, more work will be done on a fully charged battery.
Battery voltage is measured in V (Volts). This indicator determines the power that can be obtained from a screwdriver operating on these batteries. Simply put, battery voltage directly affects the maximum possible performance of soft and hard torque, which we will discuss below.
Very similar to drills (also check out How to Choose a Drill), the main difference is the torque adjustment. Models of this type of screwdriver are represented by only a few manufacturers of household tools. Renowned manufacturers focus on professional drywall screwdrivers, the cartridge of which begins to rotate the bit only after “drowning” it into the material.
Corded screwdrivers are suitable for one-time work around the house or for professional use in repair and construction. Based on the situation, the absence of the need for charging can be considered a plus. Constraints created by the need for an electrical network, low mobility and tangled wires are definitely the main disadvantages of this tool.
Chucks and reducers
Screwdrivers come with either a quick-release three-jaw chuck (clamping range of the tooling from 0.5 to 13 mm), and with a hexagonal tool seat with a 1/4 inch shank. The keyless chuck is more practical and allows you to use any tool of a suitable diameter. Of course, the larger the chuck diameter, the more versatile the screwdriver is.
The hexagonal chuck is convenient for frequent tool changes and when working in hard-to-reach places. To drill with such a screwdriver, you must use drills with a hex shank. It is possible to install a conventional chuck with a hex shank.
Rotation from the engine to the chuck is transmitted by means of a gearbox. The gears inside the gearbox can be made of metal or plastic. Metal gears are most common in powerful professional screwdriver models.
They reflect two parameters, measured in Nm (Newtonometer), these are soft and hard torques:
- Soft torque is an indicator of the maximum force of a screwdriver in terms of twisting / unscrewing, the rotational speed in this mode for most screwdrivers varies from 0 to 350 rpm.
- Hard torque, in turn, reflects the maximum force in the drilling mode, in this case the rotational speed is usually calculated from 0 to 1000 or more revolutions per minute.
The larger these parameters, the more powerful, productive and practical the screwdriver is. For example, a screwdriver with a torque of 25 to 30 Nm can easily screw a self-tapping screw up to 70 mm long into a tree. To tighten self-tapping screws from 70 to 100 mm, a torque of 40 Nm is required. Longer self-tapping screws require pre-drilling the hole.
Additional features of some screwdrivers:
- The presence of the hammer mechanism is without a doubt quite a useful feature, especially when working with socket heads or when drilling holes in brick and stone.
- The presence of an impulse, periodically increased torque, is useful for easier drowning of fasteners into the material, when unscrewing a stuck self-tapping screw or even a drill if the hammer drill fails. It is especially useful when there is no way to rest in order to firmly press the screwdriver.
- The presence of 3 speeds will make it possible to fully replace the power drill at home, since the rotation speed of the chuck in this mode can be more than 3000 rpm, and the first speed will give out a decent torque.
- The presence of backlighting is very important when working in hard-to-reach places or with poor, or even completely absent lighting. The most successful version of the location of the backlight above the battery pack, there are models with a backlight located above the start button, which is less effective in most cases.
Summing up all of the above, I would like to note that it is impossible to advise a universal screwdriver for everyone, because many components of the choice depend on your goals and tasks that you are going to carry out with this tool, but finally, I will still share my opinion about the choice, some examples.
Home / cottage screwdriver
For the most part, the network version will be enough, due to the availability, light weight and lack of the need for special mobility. If we consider rechargeable versions, then it is worth paying attention to Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh, if you do not plan to use them often, this way you will save money and get a longer battery life.
In cases where frequent use is planned requiring continuous workflow, there is no doubt that choosing a Li-Ion battery will pay off 100%. Why don’t I advise taking more modern batteries for rare jobs? Everything is very simple, they are more expensive and are designed for stable use, do not forget that their shelf life is 2 years less, and therefore, there will be much more missed opportunities in this case.
For home needs, the maximum torque of 25-35 Nm will be quite enough, of course you can take a more powerful one, it all depends on your desire and financial capabilities. Battery capacity is not so important for occasional use at home, so 1.5-2 Ah will be just right.
When working in hard-to-reach places, it will be logical to choose a more compact model. The features of frequent and long-term continuous use in many cases justifiably lead to the purchase of a Li-Ion screwdriver with a maximum torque of 40 Nm or more, depending on the type of materials with which to work in the future.
Li-Ion batteries, in this case, are relevant because of the continuity of the workflow provided by fast charging of batteries, and they are simply lighter, which is important for your hand during prolonged use.
The choice of additional features of the screwdriver directly depends on your needs. Try to clearly define for what needs you will use it, decide on a budget. Last but not least, if you have other tools, like a drill or a hammer drill, with rare use, these points will allow you to weed out unnecessary functions and highlight those that are clearly necessary.
In conclusion, I would like to note that the screwdriver market is full of various variations and choosing exactly what suits you will not be difficult. We hope we were able to help you decide on the choice of a screwdriver. We wish you the maximum return from the instrument and more positive emotions!