Circular Saw How To Use
Plunge-cut circular saw
The plunge-cut saw was developed to solve a problem that arises when cutting a workpiece with a circular saw: insufficient cutting accuracy. Positioning the saw blade with absolute precision is not possible, since it is not possible to control the position of the blade relative to the workpiece.
The plunge-cut saw is devoid of these drawbacks, it has a slightly different principle of operation. When not in use, the disc is completely hidden under the protective cover and located above the base plate. The cutting blade is lowered only when the tool is switched on.
With the plunge saw, you can make local repairs to floorboards or cut a desired cutout in the worktop. Cutting precision is adjustable to the millimeter. Sawing capacity at 90 °, depending on the model, ranges from 10 to 75 mm.
When working with laminated material, the top layer is cut to an incomplete depth of the workpiece, excluding the appearance of chips.
- High precision of workpieces processing;
- The ability to perform cross and longitudinal cuts.
- High price compared to conventional models;
- Difficulties in cutting small-width parts. their minimum size is limited by the dimensions of the support part of the tool.
Which circular saw to choose
Recommendations for choosing a circular saw for home and garden:
1. To perform a small amount of work from time to time, you can purchase a tool with a power of 1-1.2 kW.
2. For construction work at a summer cottage, where it is required to cut timber, boards, plywood and other sawn timber, you can purchase a circular saw with a power of more than 1.2 kW and a cutting depth of at least 60 mm.
3. For professional use, you can purchase models with a capacity of more than 1.2-1.5 kW, with a high number of revolutions (more than 5 thousand) and a maximum cutting depth at right angles (more than 60 mm).
4. If it is necessary to make grooves and cutouts in blanks, you can purchase a plunge-cut saw.
5. When performing work related to the construction of metal structures, where metal cutting is required, you can consider using a circular saw for metal. The advantages of using it are described above.
This indicator depends to a large extent on the disc used, on the diameter of which the dimensions of the processed material depend. A tool designed for use with small diameter discs will not allow accurate cutting of large workpieces.
Saws with a cutting depth of 40-50 mm are most popular for performing one-time work. For professional work, where efficiency and quality are important, they purchase tools with a cutting depth of 60-70 mm and more.
Ability to work with metal
Saws capable of cutting metal are multifunctional tools. It is also successfully used to perform work on wood, plastic.
In comparison with the usual angle grinder, which is used for metal cutting, most of the cutting characteristics performed with a circular saw have better parameters.
- Higher productivity;
- Reducing noise and vibration;
- The ability to cut metal at an angle;
- No sparks;
- The metal hardly heats up;
- Safety (the disk is not subject to tearing);
- Higher resource of carbide disc (100 times higher than disc for an angle grinder);
- Low cutting price (only the guillotine is cheaper);
- High cut quality (no burrs).
- Relatively high price per disc.
Diameter of discs used
The outer diameter of the blade does not affect the working speed; it determines the cutting depth. This diameter depends on the dimensions of the protective cover. For most models, it is in the range from 130 to 250 mm.
Inner bore diameter: 16 to 32 mm. It must match the diameter of the power shaft.
How to choose a circular saw for home and garden
A circular saw is a hand-held tool for sawing workpieces from a wide range of materials: wood, plastic and even metal. The tool is indispensable on a personal plot where a country house is being built. In the apartment, a saw will be needed during the renovation: it can be used to cut plywood, laminate, door fittings, plastic panels.
Tips for choosing
To choose a good circular saw, you first need to fully determine the tasks for the solution of which the tool is purchased, and then select a specific model with suitable technical characteristics. At the same time, a modern circular saw is a “smart” tool, in it, in addition to the above-described set of numbers, various additional functions are also important, whose presence can simplify the use of the device or extend its service life. To figure out what additional functions a circular saw can have and what they are for, let’s study the topic in more detail.
One of the most significant advantages of a good circular saw is the presence of a smooth start. With an abrupt start from zero to several thousand revolutions per minute, the engine and other components of the mechanism experience a huge overload, which often leads to premature wear of the unit. It’s another matter if the speed is gained gradually. you will have to wait no more than a few seconds, but the purchase will last much longer.
The anti-jamming function is very useful for the operator’s safety. If at some point it suddenly turns out that the disc is not able to cut the material further, it will definitely be thrown back, because of which the master may even drop the equipment from his hands, it is also possible that the disc is deformed, which increases the risk of injury. It is impossible to completely prevent such a phenomenon, but modern models at least know how to weaken such a return blow.
In some cases, the engine, working for a long time with a fairly dense material, may heat up uncontrollably. An inexperienced operator is not always able to recognize the moment when it is better to turn off the device immediately in order to avoid damage to the unit. For this reason, the developers in the new models have provided for the protection of the electric motor, which reacts to excessive indicators and knows how to turn off the power supply in a timely manner.
Another important safety feature for the operator is the blade lock. It works instantly, as soon as the power button is released. the disk "wedges" instantly, that is, it does not continue to rotate at a reduced speed. This is done to ensure that the operator is not injured, for one reason or another, losing control of the tool. With such a function, it is no longer so scary to drop the unit from your hands, fall with it or lose consciousness during operation.
Adjusting the speed and cutting depth are two very close characteristics of the tool, which allow you to adjust it as accurately as possible for a specific task. In the first case, it becomes possible to more accurately adjust the speed of the disc, in order, for example, to quickly cut wood, but not to melt the plastic with excessive haste. The second of the described functions is aimed at not completely cutting the workpiece, but delving into it only slightly.
Such a function as connecting a vacuum cleaner is also rapidly gaining popularity. When sawing wood, which the circular saw most often works with, a huge amount of sawdust is formed, which not only clogs the workshop, but can also get into the respiratory tract or eyes, posing a serious health hazard. The presence of the described function allows the vacuum cleaner to draw in all small particles already at the moment of their formation, therefore the workplace usually does not even require special cleaning.
Understanding the main technical characteristics and their adequate assessment is the main key to choosing the right model. To better navigate the variety of model ranges, consider the main features of the units. Perhaps the main characteristic is engine power, it depends on it how large a disc such an assembly can rotate at a decent speed, and the maximum permissible cutting depth depends on the diameter of the disc. In entry-level tools, the power is very modest. no more than 1.2 kW, therefore such a tool costs little, however, the performance will be low: a circle with a diameter of 13-16 cm does not cut deeper than 4.5 cm.
Saws of the middle class have a power in the range of 1.2-1.8 kW, thanks to discs up to 20 cm in diameter, it is possible to cut to a depth of 6 cm, such units are already stationary, and are used for summer cottages and field repairs. Equipment more powerful than 2 kW is already considered professional, it allows cutting up to 100 mm. Such saws are almost always network and stationary, since it is both heavy and dangerous to hold them in the process of work, so it is usually an integral attribute of the saw.
The speed of rotation of the disk is equally important. it depends on the power of the engine and on the weight (diameter) of the circle itself. If you work exclusively with wood, then it is best to choose models with the maximum number of revolutions per minute. thanks to this, the cut is smooth, without burrs that would inevitably appear at low speeds. At the same time, when cutting the material, the disc is guaranteed to warm up, therefore, when working with plastic, too high revolutions are unacceptable, otherwise the edges of the workpiece will melt.
Accordingly, focus on high revolutions (up to 5-6 thousand revolutions every minute for expensive professional models), but with an eye on universal use. Pay attention to those saws, the design of which allows the possibility of self-regulation of speed.
Although the cutting depth, like the maximum diameter of the blade, is inevitably tied to the engine power, it can additionally be limited by the body of the device itself. Before making a purchase, be sure to ask what is the maximum diameter of the disc, but keep in mind that the cutting depth will be less than half.
In this case, you need to pay attention to the alloy from which the circle is made, and to diamond soldering (or its absence), and to the number of teeth and their sharpening angle. Note that, as a rule, there are no really bad discs, it’s just that their different varieties are better suited for this or that material. The disk can be changed periodically, diversifying the scope of the tool, and the specifics of its choice is already a topic for a separate article.
Circular saws: purpose and popular models
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Application area
- Tips for choosing
- Rating of the best models
- Operation and maintenance
Circular saws were invented about 100 years ago and since then, constantly improving, they have held the title of one of the most popular and useful tools. However, certain alternatives already exist for cutting various materials. Therefore, it is worth figuring out what kind of unit it is and how to operate it correctly.
Providing an even, and most importantly, fast rip sawing of the board, a handheld circular saw is usually considered a professional tool that is most often used on a sawmill. where lumber is produced on an industrial scale. In such conditions, large stationary units are mainly used, but in small enterprises it is possible to use battery options. Accordingly, potential users of such a unit may be other enterprises engaged in cutting other materials available for cutting. the same light alloys.
Even more intensively, battery models are used by repairmen, who are forced to regularly cut construction materials on the road, in the most unpredictable conditions. The tool is highly valued by such professionals, because with its low weight it makes it easy and quick to equip a kind of mobile workshop.
For the home, such tools are still relatively rarely used, and there is only sense in buying them if you have your own personal plot and a certain tendency to carpentry. Living in a city apartment and not having your own workshop, you can use such a device only for the same repair needs that were described in the paragraph above, however, in the conditions of giving, the possibilities of application expand. So, with the help of a battery device, you can even trim small branches, and then cut them to be used as fuel. In combination with other types of saws, the circular saw can also be used to cut felled trees.
Advantages and disadvantages
A circular or circular hand saw is not the only way to cut various sheet materials, however, it is she who is considered one of the best solutions, competing with jigsaws and even more so with classic hand saws, driven by manual power.
This in itself indicates certain advantages of its use, however, let’s take a closer look at what exactly such a tool is better than alternative options.
- The tool is powered by an electric motor, it relies relatively little on manual force, which is needed only for holding. This increases productivity and reduces operator fatigue.
- Unlike most other saws, the cutting edge of a circular saw is shaped like a disc that is sharp around the entire circle. Thanks to this, the unit has no return movement. absolutely all efforts are spent on useful work.
- Originally developed specifically for cutting wood, circular saws can now be created for other materials. Although the list is not limitless, there are still options for tiles and some soft types of metal.
- The hand saw can be equipped with a battery and work from it, which greatly expands the scope of potential use. Rechargeable models are able to do without an outlet for several hours, therefore they can be used in any working conditions, whether it is construction without connected communications or the roof of a building.
- Compared to the same jigsaw, the circular saw has a significantly increased productivity. in the same period of time it is able to cut much more lumber.
- Unlike a chain saw, a circular saw is good in that it allows you to make the cut even, and does not tear it, therefore, it is better suited for cutting decoration materials.
- Most hand-held circular saws offer built-in safety measures that classic hand-operated saws certainly do not. over, the presence of special nozzles allows even a vacuum cleaner to be connected to many models, thereby achieving cleanliness in the workshop and safety for the health of the operator.
Of course, with all its positive qualities, a circular saw is still not uncontested. which means, at least in some situations, it cannot show itself perfectly. Perhaps, in your conditions, nothing else is required, but it is worth knowing about this and possible pitfalls in advance, therefore we will separately consider possible disadvantages.
- The operation of the device is impossible without electricity, which means that you either have to be near the outlet, if the device is powered, or do not forget to charge it in time if it is rechargeable. At the same time, some batteries assume certain specific requirements. for example, popular lithium-ion batteries tend to discharge much faster at subzero temperatures.
- A circular saw is not at all intended for a figured cut, the cut will always and in any conditions be strictly straight, except with slight deviations. There is not a single way to perform figured cutting using such a unit. in this one it can only be replaced with a jigsaw.
- Battery models are good for their mobility, but increasing their functionality, performance or autonomy will certainly lead to an increase in the weight of the unit. Because of this, a truly powerful tool on batteries simply does not exist, and the thickness of the cut of the same wood in such a device is usually limited to 7-8 centimeters.
- A circular saw is not that expensive, but still significantly more than a classic one. In practice, this means that if there are doubts about the regularity of using the instrument, its purchase may be impractical.
Rating of the best models
It would be more correct to call our rating a review, since we will not give prizes to models, understanding that they belong to different categories of instruments. over, the lineup of leading manufacturers can be constantly updated, therefore the models presented below are not uniquely the best, but rather simply worthy of being included in such a rating.
Among the professional models, you should pay attention to the Makita 5103R saw. Such a unit costs twice as much as a household unit, but on the other hand, it copes with the tasks set twice as fast. The engine power in this case is 2.1 kW, and the cutting depth is one of the largest, up to 10 cm deep. The rotation speed of 3800 revolutions every minute seems small only as long as you do not know the size of the disc. its diameter is 27 cm.The unit weighs 9.5 kilograms, therefore it is used only stationary, but the large mass is due to many additional functions, including a ruler with laser pointer.
Household saws are designed to solve completely different problems, and therefore the requirements for them are different. consider this class of power tools using the Einhell RT-CS 190/1 model as an example. Since such devices are not used by professionals, but by amateurs, it is not surprising that their main advantages are simplicity and convenience. in particular, this unit is good with very convenient handles and the utmost ease of replacing the disk, even the key was put here so as not to puzzle the potential owner once again. Considering that the tool will most likely be used at home, this moment was also thought out. the possibility of connection with a vacuum cleaner is provided, the unit itself is distinguished by a rather quiet operation.
If you really need a tool for solving small and occasional tasks, and the main requirement for it is the minimum cost, then you cannot but pay attention to the Skil 5740 LA saw. For that kind of money, the characteristics are, of course, very modest. here the engine power is only 700 watts, and the maximum cutting depth is within 4 cm, but there are advantages. for example, a very modest weight within 2.5 kilograms. However, even the budget of such a tool did not prevent manufacturers from taking care of elementary conveniences, which in this case include a lock from accidental start, a key storage compartment and an increased support for increased stability.
If you choose a cordless saw, focusing on the combination of autonomy and high performance, then professionals will certainly advise the Aeg BKS 18-0 model. The unit copes well with solving complex problems; in all respects, it corresponds to full-fledged daily use on a construction site, where electricity has not yet been supplied. With decent manufacturing qualities (5000 revolutions and a disc diameter of 16.5 cm), the tool weighs only a little more than 3 kilograms, which is very small.