Convert Bosch Screwdriver Battery To Lithium
Increasingly, users give preference to cordless power tools, which are compact in size and allow you to work where it is problematic to stretch the power cable. The battery for a screwdriver should be selected based on the loads to which the device is planned to be subjected, as well as depending on the conditions of use. Some batteries cannot be fully discharged, and some are not suitable for use in the cold.
The battery can be removed and put back without much effort.
What is the design of the battery for a screwdriver
The rechargeable battery is a plastic case in which several small batteries connected by a contact tape are located. The ends of the tape go out and look like oblong plates. The main task of the battery is to generate direct current using the electrolysis process.
Batteries for screwdrivers differ in various technical characteristics
Each battery consists of the following elements:
- electrodes represented by anodes and cathodes;
Directly in the power tool itself there is a special hole where the battery case is placed. A reliable fastening is provided by two terminals located on the sides of the battery. For many screwdriver manufacturers, a rechargeable battery may have a detachable case, although professionals have learned to carefully disassemble integral battery packs for screwdrivers without harming them. In order to open the case, it is enough to use a screwdriver with which fasteners are unscrewed.
Mini batteries located inside the case are cylindrical. The number of batteries depends on what voltage is needed for the device. It can be 8, 10 or even 15 elements, which, as a rule, are placed in several rows.
It is interesting! The batteries for a screwdriver are connected to each other using a tape, the basis of which is nickel. Internal elements are connected in a sequential order, standardly. from minus to plus. Spot welding is used to secure the tape to the batteries.
Some screwdrivers are sold with two batteries.
The current in the battery is generated due to the potential difference at the cathode and anode. All batteries have different properties. The main characteristics that are of interest to users include:
- material used for the manufacture of the pole and electrolyte;
- voltage affecting the performance of the device;
- a capacity that determines how much time you can work with the device without recharging.
Battery voltage is determined by the number of batteries built in. One cell typically has a charge of 1.2 to 3.9 volts. Due to the serial connection, the required number of volts is gained. For the operation of a household tool, an indicator of 10.8-14.4 V is enough, but a professional device for normal operation needs 18-36 V.
The battery capacity of the screwdriver determines the maximum operating time. This indicator is primarily affected by the current consumed by the device, as well as the voltage when completely discharged.
Battery capacity affects battery size
Batteries: which are better, the main types, advantages and disadvantages of each
The question of which batteries are available can be answered in different ways. Some products are rarely used for power tools. In general, four types of batteries for screwdrivers should be distinguished. These include:
- nickel-cadmium. Ni-cd;
- lithium-ion. Li-ion;
- nickel metal hydride. Ni-mh;
- lithium polymer. Li-Pol.
Most often, nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion batteries are used for screwdrivers. Nickel-metal hydride nutrients have been used almost universally before, but have recently lost relevance. The main reasons for this were the quick heating of the device when using charging for a screwdriver and in the process of working with fasteners.
Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries
Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries were the first alkaline batteries to provide battery technology. They were developed at the end of the century before last. Nickel-cadmium devices are considered to be in demand, as they, due to certain reactions inside the battery, heat up less and guarantee longer operation. Metal hydride devices are less hazardous than cadmium batteries.
Some manufacturers make screwdrivers with different types of batteries
Among the main advantages of nickel-cadmium batteries for a screwdriver can be identified:
- low probability of overheating during operation, which saves internal elements from melting;
strong metal case;
- resistance to chemical reactions occurring inside, which excludes strong heating of the device;
- tightness of the outer coating, which prevents the wetting of the internal elements;
- the ability to function normally in frost conditions from 15 to 25 ° C, which allows you to perform work on the street;
- long term of operation in compliance with safety precautions (7–10 years);
- affordable cost.
In order for nickel-cadmium batteries of screwdrivers to maintain quality, you should adhere to tips regarding the features of the operation of devices. Key recommendations:
- At each work, try to completely discharge the power element.
- Store the device in a discharged state.
- Do not put the tool to charge if the battery is not fully inserted.
Nickel-cadmium batteries have a robust metal housing
The main feature of nickel-cadmium batteries is the “memory” effect, because of which it is impossible to charge non-discharged devices because they are able to “remember” the remaining charge level. To prevent this from happening, the battery must go through a full charge / discharge cycle. It is under these conditions of use that the devices will last for the period of time promised by the manufacturer and provide the screwdriver with high performance.
It is interesting! Metal hydride batteries are safer for the environment, but they discharge faster than cadmium batteries and have a high percentage of self-discharge.
Li-ion battery for screwdriver
Recently, lithium batteries for a screwdriver have been used very often, not only for power tools. This type of battery is found in almost every mobile device. Lithium-ion batteries appeared only at the end of the last century, but very quickly gained the lion’s share of the market. All this happened thanks to a lot of advantages. These include:
- high level of capacity, increasing the period of uninterrupted operation;
- compactness and light weight;
- the absence of the “memory" effect, which allows you to recharge the device at any time;
- low level of self-discharge;
- the number of working cycles. more than 3000;
- short time for a full charge;
- lack of need for maintenance.
Li-ion batteries feature high capacity
The cathodes and anodes in lithium batteries are manufactured using lithium salt of various acids deposited on copper and aluminum foil. The electrolyte is a gel-like liquid. also based on lithium salt. A separator is used to separate the poles, and for safer operation, a valve is built into the casing, protecting it from excessive pressure.
Lithium-ion batteries for a screwdriver have such disadvantages as:
- high sensitivity to voltage drops in the network;
- poor performance at low temperatures;
- loss of capacity during prolonged storage of the device;
- high price;
- probability of spontaneous combustion.
An undoubted minus is the fact that the service life of lithium-ion batteries usually does not exceed 3-5 years. At the same time, even those batteries that were not used become unusable.
Video: Convert Bosch Screwdriver Battery To Lithium
Battery may be updated periodically
Lithium polymer rechargeable batteries
Lithium-polymer power cells appeared after ionic ones, and in them the liquid electrolyte was replaced by a polymer one. Modern technologies have made it possible to increase the battery capacity and reduce the size of the product by using ultra-thin batteries. The main advantages of such batteries include:
- lack of effect of "memory";
- low explosion hazard compared to ionic options;
- ensuring continuous operation without interruption;
- resistance to mechanical damage and vibration loads;
- fast charge for 20-30 minutes.
Like the previous version of the battery, there are also drawbacks. The main one is that the number of work cycles does not exceed 500. It is also inconvenient that only a special “smart” charger for a screwdriver is suitable for the battery, which controls the required voltage level in each individual internal element.
Battery-powered tool for long-term use
Screwdrivers with such batteries have not yet received wide distribution, because they are distinguished by their high cost. Mostly lithium polymer batteries are used in professional premium models.
Helpful advice! Screwdrivers equipped with lithium batteries are always easier to operate because they are lightweight. This is especially true if the tool needs to be moved.
Which battery is better for a screwdriver and what indicators need to be compared
Before choosing a battery, you need to conduct a comparative analysis of the models and pay attention to the characteristics that affect the usability of the screwdriver. It is impossible to state with certainty which particular option is considered the best, because all batteries have their advantages and disadvantages. First of all, you should understand how and where it is planned to use a screwdriver.
When choosing a screwdriver, you must consider where you plan to use it
Among the main important characteristics, the following deserve the most attention:
- The number of charge / discharge cycles. Lithium batteries are designed primarily for 1000–3000 cycles. Cadmium batteries require 1000 cycles, but often their life does not end there. Using devices, people invented ways to reanimate a screwdriver’s battery at home.
- Charging time. Sometimes, one battery is not enough to work, so masters prefer to immediately purchase two batteries. Ni-cd and Ni-mh charge in 2–4 hours, while 30–90 minutes are enough to fully charge a lithium battery, which significantly reduces the waiting time.
- Cost. The most budgetary are Ni-cd and Ni-mh. A Li-Ion battery is often twice as expensive as the previous versions and make up at least half the cost of the screwdriver itself.
- Tool power. To make holes in solid building materials and tighten large fasteners, you will need to use a high power device. In this case, the charge is actively consumed, and the maximum number of revolutions will depend on the reaction of the battery. At the same time, cadmium batteries have better performance than lithium.
The charge indicator determines how charged the battery is.
Other important battery features include:
- The effect of "memory". If you put a partially discharged nickel-cadmium battery on charge, the remaining level will be perceived by the battery as zero. During operation, it will be discharged exactly when it reaches the mark that remains in memory.
- Self-discharge. Even if the device is not in use, the battery gradually runs out in standby mode. Nickel-cadmium and metal hydride batteries thus lose up to 10% of the charge, lithium usually do not lose more than 5% per month.
- The size. The dimensions of the battery determine the final weight of the screwdriver itself and, accordingly, the convenience of working with it. This is especially true if you plan to continue working or holding the tool on weight. The heaviest batteries are Ni-cd and Ni-mh. Lithium batteries are typically 40-60% lighter.
- Work in the cold. Due to the fact that the cordless power tool is easy to carry, it is often used outdoors. Nickel batteries calmly withstand the effects of cold and are able to function even at 40 ° C, but lithium batteries in such conditions very quickly sit down or stop working.
- The need for full discharge. It is permissible to use cadmium batteries before turning off the device and then fully charging. As for the lithium version, it is recommended to plant it up to a maximum of 15%, and it is better to charge it by no more than 90%.
Helpful advice! The battery charge can be checked using a special tool. indicator.
All screwdrivers have different types of battery mounts
Top manufacturers: Makita and Hitachi cordless batteries
No matter how good the tool, sooner or later you will have to replace the battery in a screwdriver. When this happens, you will need to choose a new battery. To make it easier to make a choice, it is recommended to study the characteristics of well-known and reliable models.
Technical characteristics of cordless drill / driver. The device and the principle of operation of the tool.
"Hitachi" and "Makita". Japanese manufacturers, who are famous for high-quality power tools. Firms offer a choice of different types of batteries, differing in properties and characteristics.
The most popular is a 14.4 V battery for a Makita screwdriver (model 193101-2 143). This appliance is equipped with a 2.4 Ah nickel-metal hydride battery. The main advantage is a quick charge for 1.5 hours. Among other advantages, we can distinguish:
- possibility of use at a temperature of 40 ° C;
- a large number of charging cycles. 2000;
- lack of effect of "memory".
The Makita screwdriver battery has a large number of charge / discharge cycles
The cost of a Makita battery for a screwdriver is almost 6 thousand rubles. However, users did not note any shortcomings in the device.
Budget options include a battery for a Makita 12 volt 193981-6 screwdriver. The nickel-cadmium battery is designed to operate in the temperature range from 10 ° C to 55 ° C. The main drawback of the battery for a Makita screwdriver is its small capacity of 1.3 Ah. Therefore, users note a fast charge.
One of the best batteries for Hitachi screwdrivers is the EB1233X. This is a 3.3 Ah nickel metal hydride block. Thanks to this battery, the uptime of the tool is significantly longer than other models. The device is designed for professional use. The benefits include:
- charging time. 1.5 hours;
- strong case;
- high-quality grip with the tool.
The cost of the battery for a Hitachi screwdriver is 5800 rubles.
Hitachi screwdriver battery has high-quality grip
Batteries for a Bosch screwdriver and a budget analogue Bison
Batteries for Bosch screwdrivers have established themselves as the most reliable and high quality. The company mainly uses lithium-ion and nickel-cadmium technologies, which contribute to high performance and convenient operation of the device. All modern batteries are equipped with Electronic Cell Protection, which prevents the device from overheating and completely discharging. There is also a function of automatic shutdown.
All products of the company are distinguished by the presence of shockproof housing and low weight, which greatly simplifies the work with power tools. The capacity of various battery models varies from 1.3 to 5 A / h. In terms of voltage, options are available from 12 to 36 V.
No less popular is the battery for a Bosch 12V screwdriver with a capacity of 1.5 Ah. Nickel-cadmium battery guarantees a long time of use of the tool even at full power, and is also compatible with screwdrivers of other manufacturers. The cost of the device is from 2500 to 3000 rubles.
Helpful advice! Batteries from one company may be used for tools from another manufacturer. The main thing is to take into account their compatibility, which is usually indicated in the instructions.
Bosch screwdriver batteries are equipped with Electronic Cell Protection
Domestic batteries for screwdrivers Interskol
The Russian manufacturer offers customers a wide selection of batteries. Particularly popular are Ni-Cd, which are characterized by their unpretentiousness in operation and a wide range of capacities. For batteries with an Interskol screwdriver, the capacity varies from 1.3 to 2.4 A / h. Choices are presented with different voltages. 12, 14.4 and 18 V. In general, the instrument is renowned for its good build quality and affordable cost for most users.
Model DA-14.4ER. lithium-ion battery with a voltage of 14.4. The battery for the Interskol screwdriver weighs only 250 grams, and the capacity of the device is 1.5 A / h. The manufacturer focuses on the fact that the device can be used in the temperature range from 4 ° C to 40 ° C. This model is compatible only with screwdrivers of the same company. The cost varies between 1200-1600 rubles.
A more powerful model is the 18-volt DA-18ER battery. In the production process, sodium-cadmium technology is used, the battery capacity is 1,500 A / h, which is enough to carry out a significant amount of work. For the device to reach full charge, it takes 120 minutes, although some users note that on average it takes about 3 hours to charge up to 100%. It should be noted the significant weight of the battery is 18 volts for a screwdriver, which is 750 grams. Its cost is about 1600-1700 rubles.
Screwdriver batteries have different voltages
The main types of breakdowns and battery repair for a screwdriver
It is not difficult for an inexperienced user to identify failures in the tool. Among the main signs of damage are:
- quick discharge during operation;
- the presence of mechanical damage on the body;
- Very slow or too fast charging.
Before you start repairing batteries for a screwdriver yourself, you need to familiarize yourself with the main types of malfunctions. These include:
- damage to contacts;
- natural wear;
- damage due to improper use.
To check the integrity of the internal contacts, it is necessary to disassemble the battery and inspect the connections at the soldering sites. During the opening of the housing, the integrity of the remaining internal elements can also be evaluated.
If the battery fails due to the end of its useful life, it is worth knowing that the total voltage of a 100% charged battery will decrease. To check this indicator, you need a multimeter, which not everyone has available. If the device has not been used for a long time, experts recommend carrying out 2-3 full discharge / charge cycles without loads.
Professional chargers have several connectors for charging
Important! You need to understand that not all batteries can be restored. Basically, craftsmen at home repair only nickel-cadmium and metal hydride batteries.
A brief list of actions in case of battery failure looks like this:
- disassembly of the device;
- inspection of internal elements;
- measuring the total voltage and each element of the chain.
If a problem occurs with one of the mini-batteries, for example, it is swollen or has no voltage, it should be replaced, after which the device is assembled and fully charged. To disassemble the case is a task feasible to everyone. This will require a small screwdriver and, if necessary, a rubber mallet, with which it is easier to separate the parts.
As with the purchase of any power tool, when choosing a battery, you must take into account the features of the operation of a screwdriver. It is best if during operation there are two batteries at hand that can be changed. It is important that the device is not only suitable for the tool, but also meets the necessary requirements.