Cordless Screwdriver 18 Volt Which Is Better
Metabo cordless screwdrivers Metabo cordless screwdriver
Excellent package of the best-selling Metabo PowerMaxx 12. 3 Ah battery, 1.5 Ah battery, cool flashlight and compact bag. An excellent choice for versatile and mobile use.
Metabo cordless screwdrivers this is one of the best choices for a professional!
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- For household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- For professional, the indicator should be more than 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the screw will be screwed in. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself flow repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a slight downside to self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-metal hybrid eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
When comparing battery specifications, it’s also worth looking at capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
In branded models, the manufacturer, in addition to the standard features, also offers the user auxiliary functions. They greatly facilitate the work and can become a point above i, dispelling doubts whether it is worth buying this or that model.
Most often found in tools:
- The charge indicator is a small lamp that will tell you when to put the battery on recharge;
- Reverse and unscrew the screw, and the drill can be removed from the thick board;
- The impact mechanism is indispensable if you need to work with a stone surface or brick;
- Illumination of the workplace for some screwdrivers is so powerful that there is no need for additional lighting.
There is also an impulse, various blockers, speed switches, etc. Each additional function is a plus to the price of the device, which means that you need to be 100% sure about its need in the device.
To choose the ideal device for specific purposes, you should pay attention to the number of revolutions. The manufacturer calls this parameter speed or rotational speed. It is adjusted by pressing the trigger, the harder you press, the greater the speed. In addition, the frequency shows whether the tool will be able to drive a screw into a dense material and what is the approximate diameter of the hole if the screwdriver replaces the drill.
If the customer is confident that the device will only be used for tightening screws and bolts, 500 rpm is more than enough. Screwdrivers, which act as drills, operate at 1200 rpm.
Nuance: there are models with 1, 2 and 3 speeds on the market, where one is for self-tapping screws, the second is for drilling small holes, the third is for working with metal or other durable raw materials.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver: 6 tips and a rating of 5 cool models
A screwdriver is essentially an electrical substitute for a screwdriver. It performs the same functions as its younger brother, only makes the process of tightening / unscrewing screws and bolts much faster. Such a tool is especially effective if there are tens or even hundreds of screws. The device can not only twist the screws. By installing a special drill, you can make holes in wood, plastic and thin metal with a screwdriver. Powerful devices even take bricks and concrete. In general, the tool is indispensable in everyday life and during repairs.
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
The hackneyed truth is a brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
Battery case power supply
Mobility remains, you are limited only by the length of the network cable. The only problem is how to squeeze a sufficiently powerful transformer into a small case.
We recall Ohm’s law again, and understand that a powerful 220 volt electric motor can be compact.
DIY screwdriver alteration
Consider the option with an external power supply.
AC adapter for screwdriver in battery housing
If your instrument is not too powerful, you can place the power supply in a handle or case from damaged batteries.
Using a power supply from a personal computer
On the radio market for a small cost, you can purchase an old power supply from a personal computer. We need a variant of the AT format, which had to be turned off with the key after exiting the operating system.
Experienced users remember such system blocks. The advantage of such a power supply is also that it indicates an honest power. If it says 300W, it means you can safely remove 15-16 amperes from the 12-volt output (again referring to Ohm’s law). This is enough to power an average screwdriver.
Such blocks have a power button in the kit. Another advantage is the presence of a cooling fan and an advanced overload protection system.
If you will hide the power supply in a beautiful case, do not forget to leave a hole for ventilation.
The connection is very simple. Black wire (-), yellow wire (12V).
Limitations A screwdriver with a supply voltage higher than 14 volts will not work.
Using a car battery charger
The principle is the same as using a computer power supply. It is necessary to purchase an old charger for the starter batteries. The modern fashion for compact impulse chargers has left analog linear devices with manual control of voltage and charge current behind. Therefore, such a device can be purchased on the automotive market for a symbolic cost.
Charger MAX INTER
It’s good if the voltage can be adjusted smoothly in this case, your makeshift power supply will fit any screwdriver.
Converting it to a power tool is reduced to connecting the input of the electric motor to the power terminals of the charger.
The way out is a rework of the screwdriver in the network
Yes, it loses one of the benefits of a cordless tool, mobility. But for work in rooms with access to a 220 volt network, this is an excellent way out. Over, you give new life to a broken instrument.
There are two concepts of how to make a network out of a cordless screwdriver:
Varieties of batteries
Nickel-cadmium are produced in the most bulky cases, which can be inconvenient for some jobs. During the actions, no failures occur, they are subject to different temperature values, and have a low price. Charging is possible many times, unlike competitors, but the memory effect causes bewilderment among the masters when working. Store such a battery cell completely discharged.
Nickel cadmium battery for screwdriver
Nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries are completely environmentally friendly, capable of operating without recharging for quite a long time. The relatively low weight can facilitate assembly work. The batteries are equipped with a memory effect, and operation at negative temperatures is impossible due to their design features. At subzero temperatures, the battery will discharge itself. Storage is available only at positive temperatures and a full charge.
The best Li-ion battery devices hit the market later than anyone else. Have won the best positions in the market compared to their peers.
The weight of the structure is reduced by up to 60 percent, in contrast to competitors, the lack of memory allows you to charge the device in any conditions.
A lot of electrical work cannot be imagined without a screwdriver. Cable laying, installation and assembly of furniture are carried out using a universal tool. The cordless screwdriver has mobility, ease of use. Before choosing, it is worth determining the nature of the work performed and the required power of the tool.
Before choosing a screwdriver, you should pay attention to the marking of the battery. A few highlights and indicators:
- The battery capacity is indicated by amperes / hours, indicating how long the tool will run without charging. The capacity of household tools usually starts from 1.2 A / h, professional from 2 A / h.
- Charging speed for household appliances is not such an important parameter. With a replaceable battery, charging can take up to 12 hours. Professional tools are more and more modernized and can be charged in less than an hour.
- The voltage of the battery system depends on the power of the screwdriver. Typically used battery families from 3 to 36 volts, depending on the type of action. The higher the voltage indicator, the more the tool is capable of performing work at maximum loads.
The best screwdrivers with a 10.8V battery
The purpose of the tool with a power of 10.8 volts, the best option is the assembly of plasterboard structures and furniture.
Several branded models can be considered by functional qualities.
- Makita DF030DWE screwdriver is designed for household needs, has a battery capacity of 1.3 ampere-hour with a power of 10.8 volts. The maximum torque is due to 24 Nm, the speed is electronically controlled, there is a reverse. The maximum number of revolutions is 1300 per minute. Charging usually lasts more than 5 hours. The kit comes with a replaceable battery for convenient, continuous operation.
- Bosch GSR8-Li is equipped with two-speed electronic speed control. The maximum torque is better than competitors in this category and is 30 Nm. The model has a minimum weight, small dimensions. The presence of a backlight helps to work in low light conditions.
Cordless screwdrivers features and benefits
The specialties of cordless screwdrivers are mobility and many additional functions. It is possible to carry out work far from the energy source, but it should be understood that the screwdriver operates from a battery, which can be discharged at the most inopportune moment of production. Electric screwdrivers work directly from a 220 V network and require constant power supply. The presence of a wire can adversely affect the work, since its length should be taken into account.
The best screwdrivers with a 12V battery
The best cordless screwdrivers with a 12-volt power system. The devices allow you to work the longest at medium loads.
Screwdriver AEG BS 12G2
Able to drill through metal or other materials of medium hardness.
- AEG BS 12G2-equipped with a battery cell with a capacity of 1.5 Ah, the best lithium design allows you to charge the screwdriver in less than an hour. The presence of a reverse and a spindle locking system will help to safely perform work at speeds over 1350 per minute, the speed is electronically controlled.
- Makita 6271DWAE battery capacity is 2 A / h, which is the reason for the increased price of the tool. However, the balanced characteristics allow for longer work times than with competitors’ models.
Cordless drill Sturm CD3224LB. Cordless drill driver Energomash DSh-3112LB
The minimum set of functions.
The largest number of sales falls on models with:
– Two speeds of rotation. With minimum speed for screwing / unscrewing fasteners using bits and nozzles; work with small socket heads. With the maximum, to get holes.
– Reverse. Allows you to change the rotation of the shaft (direction), to perform actions opposite to the main ones: unscrewing screws when disassembling wooden or plasterboard structures; pulling out a drill stuck in the thickness of the material; left-hand thread cutting (and for such purposes a cordless screwdriver is used).
It is convenient if the position of the switch is changed by moving the thumb and forefinger, without shifting the instrument to the other hand.
– Multi-stage torque adjustment.
What does the ratchet mechanism with numbers on the ring give?
Try screwing a self-tapping screw into drywall, pine and oak boards with a screwdriver. Do you feel how much the required force increases for the oak? Without this adjustment, the tool would simply press it into a soft surface, leaving behind indentations at best, and at worst, passing through.
When arranging the flooring, on the contrary, the fasteners sit so that the hats do not interfere when walking (do not touch the shoes) and are drowned.
In addition, the adjustment of the torque helps to avoid breaking the slot and completely cutting off the head of the self-tapping screw when screwing into a hard material.
Cordless screwdriver Stanley SCH201D2K
Cordless screwdrivers from 18 volts and above
The screwdrivers presented in this catalog belong to the category of popular and demanded tools not only among professionals, but also among home craftsmen. For almost every buyer, the choice of this tool is not so easy due to the wide variety of models with different parameters and modifications. In this catalog you can choose an 18 volt screwdriver for domestic or professional use. Since we are talking about voltage, it is worth considering this selection parameter in more detail.
The power supply voltage of the screwdriver directly affects the technical characteristics of the tool. First of all, we are talking about torque. The torque, in turn, affects the diameter of the screw, which you can screw in using one or another screwdriver. Also, the high voltage power supply of the tool requires more capacity from the battery in order to provide the unit with longer operation. In most cases, an 18 volt cordless screwdriver, for example, is equipped with batteries with a capacity of up to 5.2 Ah.
- Dnipro-M ADL-18. Screwdriver 18 volt, belonging to the category of professional tools and designed to perform a wide range of tasks. The main direction of use is loosening and tightening screws, drilling holes in wood or metal. The model is equipped with a lithium-ion battery, which provides a high level of performance combined with a reliable motor. The complete set assumes the presence of two batteries with a capacity of 1.5 Ah, so that with a full charge of two batteries, the work can be long.
- ADL2-18.0 Li ion is distinguished by even greater reliability and performance when compared with the younger model ADL18. The model is equipped with a two-speed gearbox, due to which the quality of work is significantly increased. This 18 2-speed screwdriver adjusts as accurately as possible to any type of work, whether it be working with a self-tapping screw, bits or a drill. This quality allows us to recommend this unit for professional use. Better and more accurate work can be achieved thanks to the tightening limiting function. Hardened metal was used for the adjustment cylinder to increase the durability and reliability of this element. The gearbox is also made of hardened metal. Long-term use is ensured by the lithium-ion battery, which also contributes to increased productivity. There is no memory effect in this case, the model is not demanding for operating conditions.
- Considering the 18 v screwdrivers, one cannot fail to mention the Stern CD06-180B model, equipped with an 18V Ni-Cd battery. The manufacturer tried to choose the highest quality parts to increase the product’s service life. For more comfortable work, there is a magnetic holder and a lamp for illuminating the workplace. Reverse is available, that is, if it is necessary to remove the screw, if it is stuck, you can turn on the reverse. The handle is ergonomic and refined. With a low weight, the model in question has impressive power. The operation of the instrument is noiseless. The complete set assumes the presence of a plastic suitcase, designed for ease of transportation and storage.
- The Proton DA-2/18 Li-1 cordless screwdriver allows you to get power and reliability at a very low cost. In this price category, the model in question is deservedly considered one of the best. Even the most difficult jobs are accompanied by a high level of productivity. The turns are adjustable, so getting the job done as accurately as possible will not be a problem.
If you are looking for an 18 volt screwdriver drill that would meet your individual requirements, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the range of models in this catalog. Affordable prices will be a pleasant surprise for you, and you are guaranteed to be satisfied with the long service life and high efficiency of the tool.