Cutting disc for porcelain stoneware angle grinder
Blades made of steel form a large product group, which includes wheels for dry and wet cutting, as well as combined models. Steel discs are very tough and durable, and diamond-coated makes them suitable for the hardest materials.
Diamond grit is applied by the manufacturer in three methods:
- silver solder. the cheapest products suitable for household use. Potential service life is low due to the loss of strength of the solder when heated;
- laser soldering. heavy-duty wheels of a high price segment, used on an industrial scale. They perfectly cope with the processing of workpieces of any strength;
- form-fitting. diamond chips are embedded in the surface during the heating of the disc edge with electricity. They belong to the middle price segment, they serve for a relatively long time, which makes it possible to recommend them for processing large volumes of tiles.
How to choose the right drive?
Depending on the disc modification, the angle grinder is able to process a wide variety of materials. metals, wood, porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, natural stone, etc.
Getting rid of dust
One of the disadvantages of an angle grinder is the large amount of dust generated during the sawing process. Here are a few life hacks to help reduce dust:
- Do not cut through the entire thickness of the tile. just make a small groove, and then just break the tile along the mowing line of the cut.
- Use wet cutting or water cooling to keep debris from flying.
- Get a vacuum cleaner designed for construction needs.
You can use a vacuum cleaner without an assistant. The masters propose to build an impromptu hood from a container and a vacuum cleaner:
- Cut off the top of the plastic canister.
- Cut a round hole in the side for the vacuum cleaner hose.
- Place workpiece and angle grinder over the container.
- Switch on the vacuum cleaner and make a cut over the hood.
Tile cutting disc
Experienced tilers claim that the most convenient and efficient tile trimmer is the angle grinder, popularly referred to as the angle grinder. The main functional load in the unit falls on a replaceable cutting element, which is a disc of a given diameter and modification. How to choose the right disc for cutting tiles, what determines the price of a part, and how to work correctly with a cutting tool.
Types of discs for cutting porcelain stoneware and ceramic tiles
Several types of angle grinder discs are suitable for cutting tiles. made of stone or metal with diamond dust. There are several models in the line of diamond discs. solid, segmented, combined. They can be used not only for making simple cuts, but also for finer curly processing of the product.
Fine work disc
For those tile elements where you need to achieve high accuracy and a certain cut configuration, it is recommended to choose a disc more carefully. It is better to use a circle of small thickness. about 1.5 mm. It will facilitate manipulation with an angle grinder, will not make a wide cut and will not damage fragile tiles.
The result of the work largely depends on the cutting technique. To create oval shapes, the angle grinder makes short cuts tangentially to the outer contour, trying to cut off excess areas.
Diamond blade ideal for gres porcelain CGX115 “Freccia Oro”
Solid dry cutters
Unlike segmented circles, these circles have a flat surface, which makes them versatile. an angle grinder with a solid attachment can not only make cuts, but also process the edge of the tile with the side of the disc. The absence of slots makes the wheel incapable of continuous work. it can rotate for a maximum of 15 seconds, after which a break of half a minute is required. If there is a need to cut tiles for longer, it will be advisable to use water cooling.
There are three options for supplying water to the work area:
- attract an assistant who will pour liquid from a plastic bottle;
- attach a special nozzle to the body;
- using clamps, screw the armored hose connected to the water supply to the casing.
But water must be used very carefully. if liquid gets under the body of the device, you can get an electric shock.
Segmented dry cutters
In segmented dry cutters, functional slots are provided along the perimeter, directed from the cutting edge to the center hole. Radial cutouts allow free expansion of heated metal and more efficient heat dissipation by air cooling. This allows for a longer continuous rotation time. the segmented angle grinder can work for 1-1.5 minutes with a 20-second pause.
Tile and Porcelain Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
Every master who is engaged in wall cladding with ceramic tiles knows that it is impossible to lay them without cutting. This is true both for wall cladding and for laying porcelain stoneware on the floor. But not everyone knows that a regular angle grinder (angle grinder) can be used for trimming. Let’s consider how to perform this operation correctly and without chips.
Which angle grinder blade / disk for concrete, plastic, tiles and metal
Cutting porcelain stoneware angle grinder
According to experts, cutting slabs with an angle grinder with a diamond disc is not a difficult task. This process is within the power of both an experienced builder and a person who had no previous experience in cutting porcelain stoneware. It is recommended to use the dry cut method for cutting.
This tool is equally good for straight cutting and for shaping curved elements or slices. It should be borne in mind that the edge of a finished tile angle grinder is sometimes not particularly aesthetic and has jagged edges. For this reason, slabs cut with this method are best used in places where these imperfections will not be visible. You can also trim the edge of the tile and remove the jags.
- Cutting porcelain stoneware with an angle grinder is always accompanied by a lot of dust. This should be foreseen at the stage of choosing a room or place for performing work.
- A certain danger is caused by the high rotation speed of the diamond disc. Carelessness and carelessness of the master can lead to injury or amputation of fingers.
- When performing work, you need to take care of safety. wear a respirator, goggles and headphones.
Safety rules when working with an angle grinder
In order to avoid any dangerous situations when cutting an angle grinder, it is necessary to remember about the obvious safety rules:
- Lasselsberger Arlington glazed porcelain stoneware light 19.9×60.3 cm
- Lasselsberger Decor Arlington 2 light 19.9×60.3 cm
- Lasselsberger Decor Arlington 1 light 19.9×60.3 cm
- Lasselsberger Decor Vienna Woods natural 19.9×60.3 cm
- Lasselsberger Decor Vienna Woods white 19.9×60.3 cm
4 ways to cut porcelain stoneware: tile cutter, angle grinder, waterjet
Many people dislike trimming tiles. This lesson is quite difficult for a beginner. If you have never encountered it, practice first on a clay tile. It is much softer and more pliable than porcelain stoneware. The tools are the same, and by stuffing your hand on ordinary ceramics, you can more confidently handle the artificial stone. Cutting porcelain stoneware involves the use of mechanical and electrical “helpers”.
Fast navigation through the article
Sawing paving stones with an angle grinder
Having a private house, it becomes necessary to lay paving slabs or paving stones, which must be cut to size. For this, they also use a universal device that is available in almost every home. an angle grinder.
Paving stone processing has its own characteristics, but basically it is carried out in the same way as cutting porcelain stoneware. The main differences are that the work is done outdoors. Material processing should be carried out on a separate site: the resulting dust settles on the laid paving stones and can spoil its appearance. If this happens, you should immediately sweep it off with a stiff brush.
To cut the paving stones, choose a diamond blade for concrete processing. The angle grinder should be held at right angles to the workpiece and the diamond wheel should be moved exactly along the mowing line. It is necessary to cut the tiles to a depth of a little more than half, and then just break and trim.
The electrical apparatus is devoid of mechanical drawbacks. Thanks to him, they achieve a very high-quality cut. It allows you to work with dense and thick porcelain stoneware without compromising on quality. In addition, he is able to cut thin pieces of ceramics; in the case of a mechanical tool, even with a new roller and lubricated skids, there is no guarantee of a positive result.
An electric tile cutter is not as fast as a manual tile cutter, but that hardly matters where impeccable quality is needed. The only drawback is the relative high cost. However, the price is comparable to a quality imported mechanical tool.
What is an electric cutter?
- Table or mill.
- Cutting element (diamond wheel).
- Electrical engine.
- Water system.
Cutting Bathroom Tiles with an Angle Grinder (Quick Tips).- by Home Repair Tutor
Cutting with a diamond wheel is accompanied by a large amount of dust, therefore, the device has a hydraulic system that cools the cutting element and prevents active spraying of the ceramic. The models differ in the water supply scheme. In one case, it is a reservoir with a liquid in which part of the circle is constantly immersed, in the other, wetting is carried out by running water. The fluid must be changed periodically to avoid the accumulation of waste contaminating the diamond element. The latter should also be washed regularly, otherwise cutting particles become clogged.
Electric water cooled tile cutter.
Undercutting at an angle of 45 degrees on an electric machine.
Direct cutting of porcelain stoneware
It is considered correct to cut a porcelain stoneware slab on a table or workbench. The material is laid on the tabletop, fixed with clamps with rubber tips. the cut line should be outside the table surface. In this case, it is possible to cut porcelain stoneware with a very small angle of inclination, only 15-20 degrees. The master simply pulls the angle grinder towards himself, only lightly resting his hand on the stand.
Cutting Option Pull Angle Grinder
Why this method is good:
- The minimum load on the hands, if you need to cut a sufficiently long seam, this will not be difficult to do;
- the cutting line turns out to be even, it seems that the cutting was carried out not by an angle grinder, but by a tile cutter.
The only disadvantage of this method is that most of the dust escaping from under the disc falls on the floor, and the largest parts fall into the face and hands of the worker. Therefore, it is necessary to cut porcelain stoneware with protective goggles and using devices for collecting dust.
Cutting a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chipping is not that difficult, in order to get normal quality, you need to have a good disc, a powerful tool and a little preliminary practice. Even experienced craftsmen resort to trial sawing, as this allows you to determine the quality of the disc and the density of porcelain stoneware.