Disassembling a Metabo Powermaxx Screwdriver Button
How to remove the cartridge from the screwdriver, what it is and what they are, learn from this article.
The chuck for a screwdriver is one of the most moving parts of the tool. Therefore, it wears out faster than many others.
To repair or replace this element, you need to know how to remove the chuck from the screwdriver.
To do this, you need to understand the types, device and methods of attaching cartridges.
What is a cartridge
The cartridge resembles a metal cylinder. The part is attached to the shaft of a screwdriver.
The purpose of the element is to fix the working bits of fasteners.
The internal thread on the cartridge or a special cone are designed for mounting on a shaft. Structurally, the most wearing components are divided into three main types:
- quick clamping (BZP);
- gear-crown (key).
The most common option is BZP.
In this case, the shank is clamped by manually rotating the tool sleeve.
Clamping elements, which are installed on modern screwdrivers and drills, can reliably fix the shanks with a diameter of 0.8-25 mm.
Perhaps the only drawback of a new product of this type is the higher cost relative to key sleeves.
It takes a few seconds to fix an element in a clamping device such as BZP.
In this case, the help of auxiliary components is not required.
The blade of the adjusting sleeve is corrugated, so rotation of the cylinder is not difficult.
The pressure on the shank of the product is adjusted using a blocking element.
Over time, the parts of the clamping mechanism wear out.
Therefore, the device category BZP category implies a gradual loosening of the clamp.
As a result of wear, the sleeve is not able to reliably fix round shanks of large diameter.
In disassembled form, self-and quick-clamping models are:
- movable sponges;
- the puck;
- gear nut.
Design and features of gear-crown cartridge
Unlike popular modern sleeves, this classic version requires the use of a special key. But in this case, a more reliable fastening in any situations is possible.
VIZ refers to clamping sleeves of a cam or collet type.
They make it possible to clamp both products with round shanks and cylindrical elements. The main components of cam VIZ:
- cylindrical body;
- an adjusting sleeve or ring that rotates outside;
- cam mechanism that is mounted inside.
The collet mechanism is made of durable steel.
It consists of three twin cams.
When the sleeves or rings rotate, the latter form a single whole.
Due to this, there is a reliable fixation of products.
Types of cartridges
about the species.
Screwdriver clamping devices are divided into:
The first two types are similar.
The difference lies mainly in the fact that the self-clamping models fix the products automatically.
If the tool has a lock, you can use single-cylinder cylinders.
In the absence of a lock, you will have to use a double-coupling type.
Elements with one clutch can be clamped with one hand.
To work with another type requires the participation of both hands.
Quick-and self-clamping models are intended mainly for modern tools.
For example, for pneumatic screwdrivers.
Models with automatic clamping are convenient for those who have to quickly and often change various nozzles.
Key options are less convenient, but more reliable. They are better clamped and more resistant to shock loads.
If the cylinder will be used in intensive mode, it is recommended to choose a screwdriver with a key.
There are three ways to attach the clamping cylinder to the spindle:
- using thread;
- by means of a fixing screw;
- using the Morse cone.
The first method involves the presence of threads on two contacting parts.
The cylinder is screwed onto the shaft.
The screw is used as an amplifier for contact between the sleeve and the shaft.
In this case, screwing also takes place, but the fixing component serves for additional fastening.
The screw is usually characterized by left-handed thread and the presence of a "cross" head.
To see the element, you need to extremely open the cams.
Morse cone. an option that has been used for over a hundred years.
The shaft surface has a cone-shaped format similar to the shape of a cartridge.
The matching parameters of both cones make it possible to reliably and quickly combine parts.
This option is used in many modern models (pneumatic, etc.).
How to determine the mounting method
Before you figure out how to remove the cartridge from a screwdriver, you need to determine the method of fixation.
A tool that uses a clamping device with a Morse cone mount type can be marked B10, B12, B14, etc.
According to GOST, there can be 9 sizes. from B7 to B45.
The number means the size of the cone.
Next in millimeters is the diameter range of the shanks of the fasteners that are suitable for fastening in this screwdriver.
A threaded screwdriver has a different marking.
On domestic models, you can find a designation of the type 1.0-11 M12x1.25.
This is a marking in metric format.
The numbers before the letter indicate the acceptable size of the shank, the rest is the size of the thread.
Foreign screwdrivers use an inch designation.
For example, a part may be marked as: 2-13 mm ½-20 UNF.
Here the first digits are the diameter of the bits, the fraction is the diameter of the thread in inches, 20 is the number of threads in each inch.
How to remove and change the cartridge
Understanding how to remove the cartridge from a screwdriver is necessary even if repairs are not yet in sight.
The procedure must be performed periodically for routine cleaning and lubrication.
This will increase the life of the tool.
There are various ways to remove the clamping device.
The method depends on the manufacturer of the screwdriver and the specific type of model.
Below we consider how to remove the cartridge "Bosch" and "Makita".
Using the example of these brands, it will be possible to manage the tool of other manufacturers. to remove the cartridge “Interskol”, “Metabo”, “Devolt”, “Zubr”, etc.
It must be remembered that we remove the cartridge only with a chilled tool.
Correctly removing the heated element will be more difficult, since for a long time the rotating parts are firmly fixed in the socket.
To begin, consider how to unscrew the cartridge with a fixing screw.
To do this, you need a hexagon of the appropriate size.
The diagram that describes how to change the cartridge with this method of fastening:
- unscrew the screw clockwise (if the part is left-handed); To do this, open the fists to the maximum;
- insert the key into the cams and sharply turn it counterclockwise; help can be used for this. for example, a hammer;
- unscrew the cartridge.
Further on how to replace a cartridge with a different type of mount.
Cartridge removal methods
To remove the cartridge you need to know how it is fixed.
If you have to replace the cartridge in a screwdriver with a fixation of the type of Morse cone, the help of a hammer is necessary.
The last shank is knocked out of the housing socket.
Sometimes the method may not work.
In this case, you need to take the radical path:
- disassemble the screwdriver;
- we get a shaft with a gearbox and a cartridge;
- using a pipe wrench, unscrew the clamping cylinder.
In rare cases, the sleeves may have wrenches of a wrench type.
This simplifies the task, but it’s better not to count on it.
How to remove a threaded chuck
Consider how to remove the chuck from a screwdriver in which the cylinder is attached to the spindle with a thread.
- unscrew the threaded fastener using the L-shaped hexagon;
- insert the key (usually 10 mm) with the short part into the cylinder and securely fix it with cams;
- at low speeds turn on and off the screwdriver; in this case, the free part of the hexagon must hit the support.
As a result, the threaded lock will loosen, and the clamping cylinder can be freely removed from the spindle.
If the mount is very strong and all three methods do not work, then you need to disassemble the tool.
About how to remove the sleeve in this case, it is said above.
Situations requiring analysis of a drill or screwdriver arise when neglected preventive maintenance. the planned removal and cleaning of the “clamp”.
In addition, it is recommended that the instrument rest at least every 15 minutes.
Then the repair can be delayed, and you can protect yourself from unnecessary difficulties with removing the clamping device.
Cartridge removal examples
Owners of Makita screwdrivers are usually faced with the need to remove the chuck, which uses a threaded lock with an auxiliary screw mount.
In such cases it is necessary:
- unscrew the screw;
- activate the shaft stop button;
- wrap the body of a screwdriver with a thick cloth and fix it in a vice;
- hold the hex key in the cams;
- hit the key with a hammer and unscrew the cylinder.
The Bosh tool is also most often equipped with a fixing screw.
To remove the chuck, it is not always necessary to clamp the screwdriver body in a vice.
In many cases, it is enough to put it on a table or other support, press the stop button, remove the cartridge lock and the cylinder itself.
With models from other manufacturers, you need to do one of the described methods.
The sequence of actions in these cases is similar to:
- determine the method of attachment;
- according to the scheme, remove the part.
How to disassemble a screwdriver chuck
Sometimes disassembling a cartridge is required.
To perform this operation, you need to remove the plug at the base.
It is enough to pry off a plastic detail with a knife.
Metal can be knocked out with a heavy object by hitting the base of the clamping sleeve.
- take a large bolt and insert it into the cylinder, after which it is slightly centered with a small fist clamp; while the bolt head protrudes a couple of centimeters above the sleeve;
- hammer on the bolt.
After that, the most interesting part remains. disassembling the cylinder itself.
It is necessary to divide it into its component parts. sleeve, base, washer, bearing and nut.
The design may be slightly different, but in general the part consists of these elements.
In rare cases, it is impossible to disassemble the cylinder without damage and cannot be assembled back in the same form.
But if the design implies such an opportunity, then you can use the following method.
Instructions on how to disassemble a cartridge in the simplest and most effective way. using a hammer drill:
- any adapter is inserted into the puncher; the role of the latter can play, for example, a broken drill with a diameter of 10-12 mm;
- put the cartridge on the adapter with the back side. the one that is opposite to the cams;
- remove the cams and rest the cylinder on a hard surface, but always through a shock-absorbing buffer (rubber, foam, etc.);
- turn on the hammer in shock mode.
Thanks to vibration, we disassemble the cartridge in a matter of seconds.
As a result of manipulations, a sleeve flies from the cylinder, exposing other details.
After cleaning, the items are easily assembled back.
It is important not to confuse the cams in places. although they are similar, the parts rub in during the operation of the tool and require proper assembly.
Some complex designs require sawing of the coupling.
After preventive or repair work, the halves are collected using a makeshift "tire."
But in most cases, this method. using a hammer drill or punch. works.
How to choose a new cartridge
The chuck for the screwdriver is selected based on a number of aspects. When choosing a suitable part, you should be guided by the following recommendations:
- if the bits have to be changed frequently, it is better to prefer quick- or self-clamping cylinders; otherwise, the work will go slower;
- gear-crown construction. the choice of those who strive for maximum cartridge reliability; if the priority is 100% fixation of the bit, it is better to purchase a key cartridge;
- choosing a part, it is necessary to take into account its characteristics; parameters are regulated by the relevant GOSTs; the larger the clamping cone, the greater the number with which it is marked;
- it is necessary to take into account the country of origin. the alphanumeric designations of foreign models differ from domestic ones.
If it is difficult to determine the type of “clamp” yourself, it is better to seek the advice of a specialist.
Wrong choice is equivalent, at least, to incorrect operation of the tool.
In the worst case, not only repeated spending on a new cylinder is possible, but also the replacement of the entire screwdriver.
Solving cartridge problems
It is not necessary to change the problematic mechanism to a new one.
In many cases, repair will help.
Consider the main problems associated with cartridges, and ways to solve them.
One of the common problems is jamming of the device.
Over time, the cams cease to fully contract.
You can use one of the following methods:
- hold the cylinder in your hand and sharply hit it one or several times on a solid object (preferably wooden); this method also works with tight "clamps";
- clamp the housing in a vice, and the cartridge with a gas key; then rest the tool on the table and turn on the screwdriver;
- try to carefully lubricate the item; this is quite common with Bosh products.
A frequent cause of tight clamping is sawdust and other small debris trapped inside the mechanism.
If the cartridge is supposedly jammed due to sawdust, the part can be held over the fire or dried with a construction hairdryer.
After this, the cartridge must be carefully lubricated.
It happens, and so that the element scrolls and then remove the cartridge is much more difficult.
The reasons for this may lie in the problems of various parts of the tool.
If it is the cartridge that is to blame, then probably there are worn teeth on the locking sleeve.
To solve the problem, you can remove the coupling and drill holes in place of the mucous teeth.
After that, you need to screw in the screws and remove the protruding parts with a pair of pliers.
Then the disassembled element is returned to its place and the mechanism is tested.
Incomplete cams or one or two of them is another common problem.
If it is in this sense that the keyless chuck or key mechanism is stuck, then the reason lies either in the worn teeth on the cams or in the mucous thread on the nuts that clamp the three components.
To understand what’s the matter, you need to disassemble the cylinder.
After analysis, you can see the nut, which consists of a pair of parts.
The most common problem in this detail.
A worn thread causes the cams to slip when clamping.
The result is incorrect alignment of the elements.
The solution to the problem is to replace the nut or cams with new ones.
This is not always possible.
In this case, you have to buy a new cartridge.
In some situations, when solving problems, the cylinder does not loosen.
Others require disassembling the device.
There are situations requiring a complete replacement of the mechanism.
But almost always the problem can be solved without replacing the entire screwdriver.
To understand how to remove a chuck from a screwdriver, you need to have a good idea of how the tool works. This part is mounted on a shaft, which sets it in motion, and serves to fix the working body. As a rule, its shell has a cylindrical shape. Underneath are clamping cams and adjusting sleeves. When they jam, it becomes difficult or impossible to get the workpiece. Then there is a need to remove the clamp in order to further facilitate the repair work. This must be done for lubrication, cleaning and routine inspection. There are several mounting methods. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages. In each case, the problem is solved in different ways.
How to remove and disassemble a screwdriver chuck
Video: Disassembling a Metabo Powermaxx Screwdriver Button
How is the cartridge arranged
Two main designs are used.
- Cam. fixation occurs using the L-shaped key, inserted perpendicularly.
- Keyless. for fixing it is necessary to clamp one cylinder of the body by hand, rotating the other cylinder around its own axis.
Cam gears are less convenient, but provide a more reliable connection. As the key rotates, the adjustment sleeve compresses the steel cams until they close.
Keyless tighten faster. They do not need a key.
BOSCH cordless drill / driver
Types of quick-clamping constructions
- One-sleeve. to carry out the installation of the bit, one hand is enough, since one of the parts of the body is fixed automatically.
- Two-coupling. both parts are movable, and one of them must be held by hand so that it does not rotate.
If you need to replace the cartridge on a screwdriver, it should be borne in mind that one-barrel ones are used only on tools with locks.
The material is plastic or metal. Plastic products are less reliable, but it is more convenient to work with them, since they weigh less.
Methods of attaching the cartridge to the shaft
There are two main ways.
- On the thread. the sleeve is screwed onto the shaft.
- Using the Morse taper, the tapered shank is inserted into the hole on the spindle, corresponding to its size. This method is one of the most effective and has been used for over a hundred years.
Additional strength to the connection gives the fixing screw.
Sizes and how to decipher them
Several sizes are used. They need to know in order to choose the right product for replacement. The cone is marked.
Consider an example: 1. 6 V 7. Figures 1-6. the range of shank sizes that can be installed on the product. In this case, it is expressed in millimeters. At 10 and further to B 45 indicate the caliber of the cone. In total there are 9 calibers.
The marking may have the following form: 1. 13 M 12×1.4. The numbers before the letter designation are the size range of the shank, after it are the thread parameters. Values are in millimeters or inches.
Bort cordless drill / driver
Consider another example: 4. 15 mm ½. 22 UNF. The inscription says that you can use bits with a diameter of 4 to 15 mm, ½ is the size of the thread in inches, 22 is the number of threads (threaded turns) in inch.
How to unscrew the chuck on a screwdriver
This must be done not only in critical situations, when urgent repair is required. Parts need constant lubrication and cleaning even if they have not been used for a long time. Without prevention, the tool will quickly fail. It is better to work on it with interruptions of several minutes. The bat and engine must be protected from overheating.
Metabo PowerMaxx cordless drill / driver
The housing can be turned off in different ways. Much depends on the design and method of attachment.
The screw is between the cams. To get to his head, you need to separate them to the sides. Using a Phillips screwdriver, it is twisted by turning clockwise. Then insert the hex key into the cams and move it counterclockwise. The movement should be sharp. You have to make an effort to move the joint. Over time, the connection becomes very durable. If the key is not enough, you can use a hammer.
Makita cordless drill / driver
In this case, with the help of a hammer, the shank is knocked out of the conical hole. If this fails, you will have to disassemble the tool and remove the shaft with the cartridge from it. Then you will need to remove the clamping cylinder with a pipe wrench. Conventional nuts on this assembly are rarely used.
Hyundai cordless drill / driver
For work, you need a L-shaped ten-millimeter hexagon. It is inserted into the cams, tightly clamped and rotated. It is more convenient to fix the hexagon in the hand or on the support and turn on the engine at low speeds. It should work only a fraction of a second. This is usually enough to loosen the joint and unimpededly remove the sleeve. If the method does not work, the tool should be disassembled to approach the connection from the other side.
How to disassemble a screwdriver chuck
To get inside, you need to remove the plug. It can be easily removed on the plastic case. just pry it off with a sharp object. On a metal, it is knocked out with a hammer. To do this, hit the base of the clamping sleeve, being careful not to damage it. To reach it, a large-diameter bolt is inserted between the cams, then they are moved so that the bolt rises perpendicular to the base, but can freely move up and down. The head protruding above the surface is beaten with a hammer.
Network drill-screwdriver Interskol
The device may be more complex, but in most cases it consists of these elements.
Before disassembling the chuck of a screwdriver, you should look for other solutions to the problem. Trying to spin it is useless. The fact is that most models are not designed for this, and you can’t get inside without damage. If they are disassembled, there are several ways to act.
What to do if the cartridge does not understand
- We insert a bolt with a diameter of about one centimeter into a puncher or drill capable of working in shock mode. You can use a broken drill.
- We insert a bolt or drill in the back.
- We breed fists.
- Now you need to find an emphasis. it can be a table or floor. It is necessary to put a shock absorber. a piece of rubber or foam.
- A rotary hammer with a sleeve rests on the shock absorber and turns on for a few seconds.
After repair or maintenance work, the assembled model will be easy to assemble back. It is important not to confuse the position of the cams. With prolonged use, they rub against each other and become slightly deformed.
If the design does not involve outside interference, the case will have to be sawn, and then connected with a home-made girth. This process is quite time consuming and easier to install a new part.
SPECIAL Cordless Drill / Driver
How to choose a new cartridge
Ideally, it should be the same as the old one. If you cannot find the same one, you need to look for a model with the same parameters. shape, size, principle of operation. All products are standardized, but despite this it is easier to combine spare parts manufactured by one manufacturer.
When selecting you can be guided by other principles. If the tool is used frequently, it is necessary to decide which is more important. the convenience and speed of changing the working part or the reliability of the connection. In the first case, a quick-clamping cylinder is suitable, in the second. a cam cylinder, which is fixed with a key.
It is important not to make a mistake. The easiest way to look for the right part, having with you a tool and a sample of an old sleeve. How to change the cartridge on a screwdriver should be written in its instructions. For connection, a thread on the body and shaft or a Morse taper are used.
For detailed instructions on disassembling a screwdriver, see the video.
- Material prepared by: Artem Filimonov
No comments yet. Start a discussion!
Ivd. 2 bedroom apartments
Found a mistake? Select it and press CtrlEnter
IVD.ru website is a leading online project dedicated to the reconstruction and interior design of residential premises. The main content of the site is the archive of the magazine “Ideas of Your Home”. exclusive copyrighted articles, high-quality illustrations, practical tips and lessons. A team of professionals works on the project in close collaboration with renowned designers, architects and leading experts from the publisher.
On our site you can pick up complex design solutions; view detailed market reviews of building and finishing materials, furniture, machinery and equipment; Compare your own ideas with the design projects of leading architects; chat directly with other readers and the editors on the forum.
The screwdriver can be repaired independently, having studied its structure and principles of operation of individual units.
Device and screwdriver malfunctions
All screwdrivers are arranged approximately the same. They consist of the following functional units:
- start button;
- pulse width regulator;
- electric motor;
- planetary reductor.
All components of the device are in a strong and aesthetic case, which has a rubberized handle, control and adjustment buttons, as well as a slot for installing the battery (if the screwdriver is designed only for 220 V operation, it does not have a battery).
When you press the start button, the screwdriver may not be squeaking. This is a normal occurrence of DC motors at startup and at low speeds.
Why and how to adjust the ratchet
A ratchet screwdriver is a clutch designed to limit the force during rotation of the chuck. Its presence in the power tool can be determined by a rotating ring with numbers. Some users do not understand the meaning of the coupling and do not touch it. Using a ratchet, you can adjust the screwing depth of the screw. In too soft material, the fastener cap is easily recessed and can pass through. When using small fasteners, very high torque can destroy it. A ratchet prevents the cutting of a slot from self-tapping screws and the wear of a screwdriver bit. To determine the desired value on the control ring, make several passes, starting with the minimum.
If the screwdriver has a drilling mode, then the last icon on the coupling will be the icon with the image of the drill. In this position, maximum torque is used.
Frequent screwdriver malfunctions
Since all modern screwdrivers have a standard device layout, their malfunctions, as a rule, are also typical. The main defects of this tool include:
- battery malfunction;
- brush wear;
- button breakage;
- runout of a cartridge;
- lack of response to attempts to turn on or off;
- interruption work.
You can fix all these failures yourself if you have experience working with measuring and soldering devices. In some cases, you will have to change the components completely, since not all parts are sold separately. If repairing the gearbox or motor is too complicated for you, these elements can be completely replaced or taken to the workshop.
DIY screwdriver repair
To eliminate most of the malfunctions of a screwdriver, it needs to be disassembled, i.e., removing the case and disconnecting the main components from each other.
How to disassemble a screwdriver
The screwdriver is disassembled in the following sequence:
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the screws connecting the two halves of the housing.
The case of the screwdriver consists of two parts connected by a fairly large number of screws. in order to disassemble it, you need to find all the attachment points
The screwdriver button is integral with the switching mechanism, which is connected to the engine, so when separating the button from the socket on the case, you must be careful not to break the wires
In order to disconnect the gear of the screwdriver from its engine, it is necessary to unscrew the four screws located at the contact point of the two plastic casings
Video: how to disassemble a screwdriver
The chucks in different models of screwdrivers may differ slightly from each other. They can be attached to the shaft in three ways:
- Morse cone.
- Threaded connection.
- Threaded connection with fixing screw.
To determine the method of attaching the cartridge, you need to read the inscription on its sleeve:
- the marking “1–6 B10” means a Morse cone. Used nozzles with a shank diameter of 1 to 6 millimeters. The coding "B10" indicates the size of the cone. Take a hammer and knock out a cartridge by striking the body;
- inscriptions like “1,0–11 M12x1,2” or “2–13 mm ½-20 UNF” mean metric and inch threads.
If the cartridge is threaded, you must perform the following steps:
- Release the cams of the cartridge.
- If there is a screw inside, unscrew it clockwise (the screw has a left-hand thread).
- Take a 10mm hexagon wrench.
- Insert the short edge into the cartridge and tightly clamp in the fists.
- At low speeds, start and immediately turn off the screwdriver so that the long edge of the hexagon hits the table. Instead of turning on the device, you can simply hit the key with a hammer. The thread moves and the cartridge is unscrewed.
In order to remove the cartridge, you need to hold the hex key in it and start the engine at low speeds until the key hits the table
Video: how to remove a threaded chuck using a hex wrench
If these methods do not help, disassemble the screwdriver and remove the gearbox assembly. Take the L-shaped tubular wrench (most often 19 ”) and unscrew the chuck, holding the gearbox securing bolts on the back with the cap wrench. She will give the necessary emphasis, with which you can unscrew the cartridge by hand.
Video: how to remove a cartridge with a pipe wrench
To disassemble the cartridge, you need to remove the cap at its base. The plastic plug is gently poked with a knife. Metal. knocked out by hammer blows on the base of the cartridge:
- Take a large bolt, insert it into the cartridge and slightly tighten for alignment. The bolt head should protrude above the cartridge for two to three centimeters.
- Hammer the bolt head. The cartridge will pop out of the case.
Video: removing a plastic plug from a screwdriver chuck
Common cartridge malfunctions:
- crookedly pinches bits;
- play between bits and cams;
- cams jerk out.
To find out the reasons and eliminate them, follow these steps:
- Disassemble the cartridge.
- Remove the flare nut, which consists of two parts.
- Unscrew the clamping jaws.
- Check the condition of the threads on the nut and on the cams, replace the defective parts.
In the process of working on cams or a flare nut that controls their work, a thread may develop or crumble, then these parts must be replaced
Video: analysis and repair of a cartridge with a metal plug
Three types of batteries are used in screwdrivers:
- Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd). They can be charged many times, but they have a memory effect. If you do not wait for the full discharge and begin to charge the battery, then its capacity will gradually decrease. Swing the battery before first use. Discharge and recharge it three times to maximize capacity.
- Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH). A feature of such batteries is a less pronounced memory effect, but a high self-discharge current. If you intend to store a screwdriver without use for more than a month, be sure to fully charge its battery.
- Lithium-ion (Li-Ion). These batteries charge quickly, but do not tolerate frost. They can be charged when convenient.
Store all types of batteries separately from the screwdriver and charger. For long periods of non-use, they need to be recharged once a month.
If the battery does not hold a charge, disassemble it. It consists of several batteries. Check the voltage tester in each. The value of the operating voltage is indicated on the housing (it is the same for all elements). Replace broken batteries.
The battery of a screwdriver consists of several elements, which you can call and find and replace those that have failed
Video: eliminating fast battery drain
If the battery cannot be removed, the locking button is most likely stuck. It is necessary to remove the upper part of the case, disconnect the battery, disassemble it and adjust the button.
Frequent damage to the charger:
- the fuse is on;
- network cable breaks;
- the primary winding of the transformer breaks;
- diodes break through.
If we disassemble the charger of the screwdriver, then we will see a step-down transformer and a board. Through the mains voltage is supplied to the primary winding of the transformer. The thermal fuse is connected in series with the network winding, so it overheats first and prevents the winding from breaking. From the secondary winding, the voltage passes to the diode bridge. If charging transmits current, yellow is formed around the diodes. Transformer windings overheat, diodes break through.
The charger of the screwdriver consists of a step-down transformer and a board with electronics
- Measure the resistance on the primary winding with a multimeter. If it is not there, it means that the circuit is disconnected and the voltage does not reach the primary coil. The fuse is located beneath the transformer insulation next to the wires connecting to the network. Check it with a tester.
- If the fuse is intact, check the power cord; it may be broken.
- If the wire is OK, check the windings. In case of breakdown, replace the transformer.
Video: diagnostics and repair of the charger
A malfunction of the start button can lead to the following malfunctions of the screwdriver:
- self-propelled guns appear;
- the device does not turn on;
- the device is unstable.
From the button, two wires go to the battery terminals and two to the engine. If there is a transistor, then it is connected by three wires. Make sure the problem is in the button:
- Connect the battery. Press the button and tester measure the voltage at its output, it should be absent.
- Remove the battery and remove the upper motor wire from the button housing.
- Connect the motor directly to the battery. To do this, take two wires of the required length and connect them to the battery terminals. Connect the other ends of the wires to the motor housing and to the wire that was inserted into the button. If the engine is running, then the button is faulty.
Video: diagnostics and replacing a screwdriver button
Button repair sequence:
- The wires coming from the button do not need to be soldered. Carefully, so as not to damage the base, remove the push part of the button that does not fall into the interior of the case. This should not be done in a jerk, but slowly rotated and pulled towards yourself.
- Remove the protective cover. Take a knife and a flat screwdriver. Pry and release all latches. Pull out element number 1 and remove the cover of the inclusion compartment under number 2. If the contacts are slightly burnt, they must be cleaned. But if they burn out completely, then the button is best replaced. It is sold complete with wires. If the contacts are intact, then move on.
- Holding the spring, carefully remove the trigger mechanism. Look inside. Perhaps, due to the poor quality of the metal, the contact pads wiped off and dust formed, which settled inside the plastic box. Accordingly, dielectric surfaces began to conduct electric current. This is one of the reasons for spontaneous operation of the device. The second reason is a failed transistor. Remove metal dust with a cotton moistened with alcohol. Contacts can be scraped off with a knife, but not with sandpaper, so as not to spoil their surface. Now reassemble everything in reverse order. Replace the burnt transistor. Turn on the tool.
The cause of the malfunction of the button may be burnt contacts, metal dust or a burnt transistor
Inspection and repair of the force regulator
Behind the cartridge is an adjusting ring with a spring that controls the force and snaps the cartridge away from the gearbox. This spring presses on the balls, which abut against the protrusions of the ring gear of the gearbox. Disassemble the ratchet, check the integrity of all its elements. Remove dirt with a rag dampened with alcohol, grease balls.
Video: ratchet repair
Gearbox disassembly and repair
The main elements of the gearbox:
They are made of metal and plastic. An annular gear is a cylinder with internal teeth along the entire circumference. Satellites move along the teeth.
The first carrier has two gears at both ends. The first solar is the engine drive gear. She enters between the satellites of the first carrier. The second solar on the opposite side sets between the satellites of the second carrier. In a two-stage gearbox, the second carrier is connected to the shaft on which the cartridge is worn. The three-stage gearbox has another mechanism. All these parts are located inside the ring gear.
The engine transmits the rotation to the first stage satellites through the sun gear. The first carrier rotates the second stage of the satellites. If there is a third step, then the second carrier will rotate it. Satellites of all stages rotate inside the ring gear. The last carrier rotates the cartridge shaft. With each transmission of torque, the speed drops.
Gearbox disassembly sequence:
- Cartridge removal.
- The unwinding of the body.
- Disconnecting the gearbox from the motor.
- Plate removal.
- Removing all parts from the chassis.
When disassembling the gearbox, all parts are removed sequentially: first satellites of the first stage, and then the second
Arrange all the parts of the disassembled gear in order, so that later it is easier to assemble.
- If a rattle is heard during the operation of the screwdriver or it twitches, then the gearbox has defects. During operation, you have to make lateral pressing and heavily load the tool. Because of this, the gearbox shaft bends and a noticeable runout occurs. In this case, the assembly changes assembly.
- If the support sleeve and shaft bearing are worn, they can be replaced with similar ones.
- Breakage of the pin of the satellite is accompanied by the start and instant stop of the engine. Replace the carrier or gearbox.
- Wearing gear teeth also requires replacing the gearbox.
Often, gearbox repair is reduced only to cleaning and lubrication. Do not overdo it with grease, otherwise the device will work poorly.
Video: disassembling, assembling, cleaning and lubricating the gearbox
Graphite brushes are located at the end of the engine on the connection side with the button. They can be located inside the engine housing under the rear cover or outside. If at least one of the brushes is worn by 40%, change both. Check your contacts. The following signs indicate wear on the brushes:
- the engine runs jerkily;
- sounds unusual for normal operation are heard;
- the smell of burning.
When removing and installing the brushes, you need to hold the holders, otherwise, under the action of the spring, they can scatter quite far
Video: replacing engine brushes
The screwdriver uses a DC motor in a cylindrical case with magnets. Inside is an anchor with windings and brushes. To check the motor, disconnect the gearbox and the wires leading to the button, and measure the resistance of the armature winding with a multimeter. Lack of readings indicates a break, and a very low value indicates a short circuit. The collector resistance is measured on the shaft and each plate. It must be zero. Faults in the anchor lead to shutdown during operation, loss of power, sparking and smoke.
Video: testing the winding of the armature and collector plates with a multimeter
Often when the engine fails, the gear remains intact. Since in most engines it is pressed onto the shaft, its removal takes place with some difficulties. Buy a special puller or use the tools at hand. Do not try to do this with pliers or a nail puller. you will bend the shaft and spoil the gear teeth.
- Take a piece of profile or channel. Make a longitudinal groove angle grinder.
- Insert the shaft into the groove perpendicular to the profile and pry off the gear.
- Lay the profile on two hard surfaces so that the engine hangs between them.
- Take a nail and gently tap the edge of the shaft with a hammer. The gear will slip easily.
- Put the gear onto the new engine with a hammer and a hard surface.
Video: remove the gear from the engine shaft
The screwdriver is cracking but not twisting
If there is a crack in the screwdriver, first try changing the position of the speed controller. Perhaps he was not involved. If this procedure does not help, disassemble the tool.
- If the engine is spinning, disconnect the chuck. Check the rotation of the gearbox shaft and the condition of the motor gear.
- If the shaft does not rotate and the gear is intact, disassemble the gearbox. Check the condition of the teeth of the satellites and gears.
- If the engine does not work, check the brushes, windings and anchor.
Now you know how to disassemble, assemble and repair a do-it-yourself screwdriver.