DIY plywood box for angle grinder
All about plywood boxes
- What are?
- Materials and tools
- How to make?
Plywood boxes are a familiar, but at the same time, almost irreplaceable thing. These versatile boxes can be used in many areas of life. If there is a need for plywood boxes, then it is not necessary to immediately run to the market, you can try to make them yourself.
Materials and tools
Before proceeding to the main stage of making a box from thin plywood or wood, you need to select the dimensions and thickness of the workpiece, and, if necessary, make a drawing.
Since wood canvases can be formed from different types of wood, their properties can also be different.
- Birch. This material is currently considered the most common. The use of this type of wood guarantees the originality of the pattern, as well as a smooth base.
- Pine. Pine wood is very dense and strong, as well as resistant to mechanical stress.
- Linden. Linden base for drawers contributes to the flexibility and strength of products.
In order for self-made boxes to be of high quality and last a long time, craftsmen should use wooden sheets with different thicknesses.
For the bottom, it is worth taking plywood with a large thickness, and thinner on the side walls and roof.
Before proceeding with the direct construction of the box, the master should prepare the tools, which cannot be done without in this work. It is worth stocking up on the following devices:
- woodworking machine;
- drill or screwdriver;
- furniture stapler.
In addition, when assembling containers, you cannot do without wood glue, sandpaper, building corners, a pencil, small nails, masking tape.
Making plywood boxes with your own hands is not difficult. First of all, the master should decide on the type of container and its dimensions.
Plywood boxes have found their use in household needs, as well as during the transport of goods. Such a container is quite popular at the present time; it can have the following purpose:
- for vegetables;
- for little things;
- for flowers;
- for tools;
- for postal deliveries;
Valuable and fragile cargo is transported in plywood boxes. In addition to shipping boxes, decorative plywood boxes are in great demand, for example, for wrapping gifts for February 23rd. This type of container is also used on the CNC, as well as for the manufacture of the bottom of furniture.
After the drawing and all materials are prepared, the master can proceed to the assembly of the box. In order to make a homemade container, you will need to complete certain steps in stages.
- Pre-approved measurements are transferred to plywood sheets. For this work, you should use a simple pencil and make them thin mowing lines that can be easily erased.
- Saw out the main parts. It is worth carrying out the procedure carefully in accordance with the lines.
- They make grooves that contribute to the solidity of the future box. At this stage, you can use a jigsaw or a standard hacksaw.
- The finished container parts must be processed with the necessary tools and sandpaper. In this case, a grinding machine will come in handy, which will help reduce the time and effort of the master.
- You can start to fasten the prepared parts of the structure, start applying construction glue to each of the joints and grooves.
- To dry the box, it is determined in a dry and warm room for about 4-6 hours.
- The dried plywood parts of the box are connected together with self-tapping screws.
If necessary, fix the handles, you need to drill holes. The fittings are fastened with furniture bolts.
Experts do not recommend using self-tapping screws, since because of them, the structure may loosen after a while.
Sometimes craftsmen install small wheels on plywood containers, thanks to which the movement of the box becomes more comfortable. You can use a regular furniture bolt to attach the wheels.
The assembly of the mailbox takes place a little differently, since it has a roof. For its manufacture, parts are cut out and attached to a box for a couple of decorative awnings. The toolbox has a handle that is formed from a handle. Screw the part with a long self-tapping screw through the side wall.
Plywood boxes can be made of different types of wood, often birch, linden or pine. The body of the box is made of edged boards, and their covers are made of plywood, chipboard. The dimensions of this product may vary, therefore, if necessary, manufacturers can add ribs for stiffening, consisting of 12, 16, 24 slats.
The thickness and configuration of the parts of the box is influenced by the purpose and weight of the cargo that will be stored in it.
The production of plywood boxes is regulated by GOSTs. These products are characterized by the following advantages:
- low material cost;
- good performance;
- low weight;
- environmental safety.
In addition to the above features, plywood can withstand all kinds of treatments, and the application of various inscriptions is no exception. Boxes of this type are quite durable and capable of transferring moisture, even if the product gets wet, it will not lose its operational capabilities. Plywood boxes have a well thought-out design, so they can be quickly disassembled and assembled. Since the boxes are lightweight, the transportation of goods in them is characterized by a low cost. Despite the lightness, plywood boxes are very reliable and preserve the integrity of the products that are in them.
Plywood products also have disadvantages, such as a high combustion rate. Also, when wet and lack of drying, such boxes can swell and become moldy.
Therefore, the owners of the boxes should remember that the latter need ventilation and drying.
Depending on the purpose, the plywood box can have a different design. This type of container can be with or without a lid, retractable, high, folding, collapsible, with a pencil case or a lock. But there are the most common types of plywood products.
- Folding box. The box is characterized by the principle of fastening the side walls to the bottom. The connection of structural elements is carried out using canopies.
- Box. the packaging is pretty simple. The sides are attached to each other with nails and self-tapping screws. These products are used for transportation purposes, which is facilitated by the compactness of dimensions, namely 50 by 40 cm.
- Decorative box. Such a box is characterized by slotted fasteners.
Advantages and disadvantages
Homemade ice fishing boxes have their own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s figure out the merits first.
It is worth noting that there are no special flaws in such functional homemade products. Only a stranger can notice them, but to the owner of such a thing, it will seem to be the limit of perfection.
A practical box can be built from ordinary foam. The structure will turn out to be light, you can sit on it. In manufacturing, such a design turns out to be extremely simple.
To craft a styrofoam box, you will need to prepare a styrofoam that is 30 mm or more thick. If polystyrene is taken, then 20 mm will be enough. It is very simple to make such a box.
DIY Angle Grinder Stand
- First, a general drawing is drawn up. Each of the elements of the future homemade product must be drawn separately.
- Next, each of the components will need to be cut. This should be done carefully, without rushing.
- The cut parts will need to be connected to each other using liquid nails.
- Along the edges of the parts, an aluminum corner must be fixed. Use rivets.
- A piece of plywood must be inserted into the structure of the box lid. Its size must match this part. This step should not be neglected as it is needed to reinforce the foam cover.
- Then the lid must be attached to the main part of the homemade product.
- After that, you will need to attach fishing rod straps to the finished lid. Loops are attached to the sides of the homemade product to put portable straps in them.
- Next, a latch is made.
- The drum must be covered with a special moisture protection agent.
How to make a box for winter fishing with your own hands?
- Requirements for a homemade box
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Manufacturing from wood
- What else can you do?
- From the freezer
- From the canister
Requirements for a homemade box
Both purchased and homemade boxes must meet a number of requirements. Let’s get to know them.
- A box for ice fishing should be of the optimal size and be large enough. If the product does not meet this requirement, then there will be little sense from it.
- The box should be light enough. Heavy tanks will be inconvenient to use.
- The design in question for winter fishing should be such that it is comfortable to sit on.
- The box must be strong and sturdy. A frail design will not last long.
- In the design under consideration, several separate compartments should be provided for different purposes.
- The box should have the most convenient strap for comfortable carrying.
From the freezer
Freezer fishing boxes have been popular since Soviet times. They are in demand to this day. Their popularity is due to their high strength, low weight, and very long service life. Many copies of the “Soviet assembly” are still in operation today.
You can also make such a box with your own hands. We will find out what stages the work on its manufacture will consist of.
- You will need to get the camera out of the old refrigerator.
- You will need to remove absolutely all unnecessary parts, namely plastic, tubes and everything else.
- The bottom of the future box for winter fishing should be made of galvanized iron or a piece of plywood. This part will be attached to rivets or self-tapping screws.
- It is better to make a lid for such a homemade construction from a plywood sheet. This component of the box will need to be additionally insulated.
- Further, a partition must be inserted into the inner part of the structure. It can be plywood and fixed on self-tapping screws, or it can be metal on rivets.
- The side of the structure must be supplemented with hinges. They should be fixed using rivets.
- If the bottom of the box is made of a sheet of plywood, then it must be coated with a special waterproof solution.
- Upon completion of the work, it is necessary to properly fix the lock on the structure.
Manufacturing from wood
Many anglers prefer to make winter fishing boxes out of wood. It is a pliable material that is easy to work with.
Let’s consider step by step how you can do such a useful thing on your own.
- First of all, it is better to draw up a detailed drawing of the future homemade product.
- Next, you need to prepare the frame base. The best way to do this is to use glue and nails. Due to this, the product will receive an additional margin of safety.
- The boards will need to be smeared with adhesive, and then knocked down. Nails in this situation will serve as a “press”.
- The next step is to attach the cover. It can be hinged or completely removable. It is important to ensure that the structure is practically airtight. In order for the lid to hold well and to be attracted to the frame, a latch should be installed. The design of the castle can be anything.
- The inside of the cover should be trimmed with a woven piece. Often a fishing box is used as a seat, so the outer side can also be supplemented with woven upholstery. The best solution would be some dense material, for example, leather in combination with insulation.
- After that, the box is divided into several sections in the inner part. What things and where to lay out should be decided in advance. Compartments, their number and location are indicators that depend only on the wishes of the fisherman himself.
- The tree deteriorates under the influence of moisture, and there will be plenty of it on fishing. In addition, wood is susceptible to the rapid absorption of foreign odors. If you do not process such a homemade product, then soon it will begin to smell strongly of fish, and then it will completely fall apart. Such problems can be solved by applying a special water-repellent varnish. The product will need to be processed both outside and inside. You will need to make smears at least a couple of times.
Cool idea from a angle grinder! I wish I’d known about it before!
It is advisable to choose a composition without too strong a smell, since it can soak the fish.
What else can you do?
A fishing box for winter hunting can be built not only from wood, but also from other available materials. It can be styrofoam, plywood, or an old canister. Let’s consider in detail how it will turn out to create very good boxes out of such things.
Ice Fishing Box Hinges
When making a box for winter fishing from plywood, the lid-pencil case can be made reclining on two conventional hinges. When closing the box, the perimeter of the pencil case should fit snugly against the perimeter of the box. The guides of the pencil case lid should not rest against the partitions glued inside the box.
But for greater strength, I would advise you to fasten the box of the foam fishing box to the pencil case with a piano hinge. You understand, styrofoam. it is not the most durable material in the world.
Yes, and we transport boxes for winter fishing and back sometimes in not the best conditions.
Fishing box plywood thickness
You can choose your own thickness of the walls made of plywood for the box for winter fishing, but, in my opinion, 4-ply plywood is more suitable for making side walls with your own hands. Then your fishing box will not have too much weight with sufficient homemade strength.
The drawing below in the text shows the components of the box for a box with arbitrary dimensions, also made of plywood, intended for storing fishing rods and tackle during winter fishing.
The lid can be made with your own hands from plywood of the same design as on a homemade foam fishing box, that is, in the form of a pencil case. On this occasion, I draw another drawing.
Homemade plywood fishing box
A drawing of a homemade plywood box is shown below for the test. And I will continue the theme of making a fishing box with my own hands, designed to store tackle and fish caught in winter fishing.
A wooden fishing container made of plywood, like a homemade foam box, consists of two independent waterproof compartments. Fishermen who doubt the strength of a homemade styrofoam box can make a plywood box.
But I warn you, in a plywood box in winter fishing conditions, the catch of fish caught, as well as a brake with a fisherman’s lunch, will freeze much faster.
In the drawings, the fishing box and pencil case made of plywood are shown unpainted.
But in order not to risk and not to lose the homemade product in the conditions of blizzard fishing, I advise you to paint the plywood of the finished box on top in a color contrasting with the snow.
Plywood ice fishing box
A general view of the box of a homemade fishing box made of plywood (without pencil case, seat) is shown in the drawing.
You can glue the box and pencil case from blanks cut out of plywood using the technology of making a foam box for winter fishing with your own hands. Here I will give some tips related to the thickness of the walls of homemade plywood.
With an internal partition glued into the box of a plywood box, the structure of the fishing box will turn out to be quite tough, but heavy.
From the inside, along the perimeters of all compartments of a homemade fishing box, sticks with square sections from 8 x 8 or 10 x 10mm. When gluing the box, plywood should be screwed to the bars.
The width of the thermos compartment is measured between the upper bars, not between the wooden walls. Otherwise, your thermos will not fit into the compartment made for it.
Making a fishing box pencil case from plywood
The grooves for the passage of the pencil case cover should be formed between two narrow wooden bars with a cross section of 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 mm glued to the side walls of plywood in parallel. That is, as shown in the drawing.
The cover of the pencil case for storing and transferring tackle on winter fishing, which is also a fisherman’s seat, can be made by hand either from 4-ply plywood, or from sheet getinax or textolite.
The plywood of the finished box should be impregnated with linseed oil and painted before going on ice fishing.
I do not recommend cutting holes in the wall of a plywood box, like a foam one and a box, for throwing the caught fish into a wooden container.
Otherwise, in the frosty conditions of winter fishing, you will quickly freeze the fish catch, like freeze your lunch, and also significantly cool the contents of the thermos.
It is better not to throw the caught fish on the snow, where it will freeze in the shape of the letter “siu”, but to put it in a fishing pouch. From it into your plywood box, you will also put frozen fish, but in an extended state. In this form, it will fit more in your fishing box during winter fishing.
With incomprehensible moments for you in the articles, including about making a box for winter fishing from plywood with your own hands, contact us in a personal.
By the way:
All articles on the site are copyrighted, so I think there will be no difficulties with additional explanations.
Painting Winter Fishing Crate
If you paint your homemade winter styrofoam box in a color visible in the snow, you can go fishing tomorrow. I can advise the same about painting a do-it-yourself plywood box.
And, if you paid attention to this, then at the bottom corners of my fishing foam boxes, metal corners are glued and then fixed with short screws.
To increase the strength, all walls of the winter fishing box can be coated with PU-2 glue or epoxy before painting. It should only be borne in mind that the glue is very difficult to machine mechanically, so the impregnation should be done carefully.
By the way: You can remove the dimensions of the plywood ice fishing box from the foam fishing box. Open the link with the line below.
Related Ice Fishing Topics
View all videos from the site on the YouTube channel Homemade baits and tackle
Like it. Subscribe to the channel. Express your unbiased authoritative judgment about the plot viewed in the video or ask a question in the commentary, which I will try to answer intelligibly.
Plywood angle grinder stand (with broach)
Greetings to all lovers of craftsmanship, I propose for consideration a homemade product, which will significantly expand the functionality of your faithful friend. an angle grinder. We are talking about a stand that will allow you to conveniently, efficiently and safely cut pipes, sheet and other materials. Good home-made in that it is assembled from available materials, mainly plywood is used here. Of course, everything can be done from boards, but the plywood is even, strong and will not lead if moisture gets in.
The machine is equipped with a broaching function, here the author has adapted furniture sliders for this. If you are interested in the homemade product, I propose to study the project in more detail!
Materials and tools used by the author:
List of materials:
– mounting angles;
– bolts and nuts;
– two springs of suitable stiffness;
– threaded rod, nuts, bearings;
– furniture nuts;
– a little galvanized;
– double sided tape;
– furniture sliders.
The process of making homemade products:
Step one. Angle grinder mount
The first step is to make a mount for the angle grinder, in our case there are two of them. We make the fasteners from two iron fastening corners, drill the holes for the bolts with which the angle grinder will be screwed. Of course, the metal of the corners is thin, it is better to use which is thicker.
04 Angle Grinder Box
Step two. Lever arm
Next, we need to cut a lever out of plywood, which will be hinged to the posts. The author’s lever is carved in the shape of a triangle. To begin with, we mark everything and mark the places for the holes. We need two holes to screw the angle grinder fasteners to the base with bolts and nuts.
You will also need two more holes in which the furniture nuts will be installed, with the help of these nuts and bolts we will center the angle grinder.
The structure can be assembled, we install the bearings in their places, install the lever and insert the axle, for which we use a threaded rod or a long bolt. At the end, we tighten the hinge with nuts, now everything will be tight, and the backlash will be minimal. Now you can install the angle grinder, after installation we need to center it, the square will help us with this. The cut-off wheel should be at right angles to the base, adjust the angle grinder with two adjusting bolts and nuts.
Step four. Working platform
Next, we make a working platform, on which we will clamp materials for cutting, our platform will be moving. You will need a thick board or wood board as material for the platform. You need to cut grooves in the material with a circular saw and screw in the guides, which are used in furniture production for pull-out shelves and so on. These details will be needed so that they can be used to fix materials on the platform.
We attach sliders to the back side, which will ensure the mobility of the platform. To fasten the sliders, the author drilled through holes in the platform. We fix the platform clearly parallel to the cutting disc.
Step five. Sheathing
The author decided to finish the working platform with galvanized sheet iron, cut the metal and glue it with double-sided adhesive tape. As a result, we get an excellent and reliable work surface.
Step seven. Holders and tests
For the machine, the author made special holders from wood with comfortable handles for fixing. For cutting round pipes, the holder has a special triangular groove. We simply push the profile pipes against the stop, in addition to this, the author also quite conveniently and successfully cuts sheet metal. If desired, the material can be fixed at the desired angle.
That’s all, the machine is ready, everything works, however, the accuracy is not very high here, but everything is accurate, convenient and safe, the machine is quite suitable for everyday tasks. I hope you enjoyed the project and found some useful thoughts. Good luck and creative inspiration if you decide to do this again. Do not forget to share your ideas and homemade products with us!
Multifunctional plywood box
Plywood is often used as a material because it is aesthetic, strong and easy to process. The plywood structure will be able to withstand the heaviest loads, and if you need to carry or store really heavy things, then you can use a sheet of plywood, which will have a greater thickness. Products made from such raw materials can be used in various fields.
Step-by-step instructions for making a tool box
The plywood toolbox can be made of a wide variety of shapes. Below is a step-by-step creation of a regular simple box, medium in size and with handles for easy carrying:
- A drawing of the product is made, and the necessary raw materials are prepared.
- The drawing of all the elements is transferred to plywood sheets using a pencil and a ruler.
- Elements are cut from the sheets, there should be 5 of them, since the cover is not supposed in this case.
- The corners of the elements are cleaned with sandpaper, and then everything is connected. First, you need to apply wood glue to the elements and fasten them with nails or self-tapping screws.
- Next, handles are attached to the product. They can be made from wooden blocks that are simply screwed on both sides.
- If you need to store different little things or certain types of tools, then walls are installed in the middle, which will divide the internal area.
Types of products
Today plywood boxes can be made in different shapes, types and for different purposes.
- Item for collecting children’s toys.
- Design for sending fragile and valuable parcels.
- For storage and transportation of vegetables, fruits and other products.
In addition to the main types, you can make gift wrapping from raw materials, as well as niches as a cabinet and other.
Tools and materials required
If all the tools and materials are prepared, then even an inexperienced person will be able to make a plywood box with his own hands. To get started, you need to prepare the following tools:
- Furniture stapler.
Having prepared the tools, you still need to stock up on materials. The plywood sheet can be of different thicknesses, it all depends on the purpose of using the product. It is worth noting that the bottom should be thicker than the walls and lid. Materials for manufacturing include:
- Plywood, which will serve as the bottom and walls.
- Wooden bars (as decoration).
- Wood glue.
- Wheels if the box will move.
In addition to material and tools, you will need to prepare a drawing of a plywood box as a whole and a diagram of each part separately. If you follow the dimensions according to the drawings, then the design will be of the correct shape and suitable for any need.
DIY plywood box: drawing, tools and manufacturing features
It is quite easy to make a plywood box with your own hands if you have the necessary tool. Such a craft can be very useful at home for various fields of activity. The manufacturing procedure is very simple, and the main design features will be presented below. Work brings not only benefits, but also relaxation, distraction from daily activities.
Step-by-step instructions for making a regular box
Before making a box out of plywood, you should decide on the requirements for it and the further purpose of use. For this:
- A drawing is drawn on the sheet.
- Measurements and calculations are carried out.
- All sizes are transferred to the prepared tree.
- A pattern is made on the surface of the material.
- Parts of the structure are cut with a jigsaw.
- The edges of the parts need to be smoothed with sandpaper or a file.
- If the joints are grooved, then the mowing line is drawn on the inner walls of the parts.
- Further, the box is assembled into a single structure. To ensure reliability, all elements are glued with glue, and then they are knocked down with nails or fastened with self-tapping screws.
- For carrying, handles are used that need to be fastened, or holes for hands are cut.
- Partitions can be installed inside, dividing the area into cells.
The finished plywood box should be amenable to finishing. You can varnish it, and if there are gaps, then they are pre-sealed with putty. As a decoration, you can glue overlays on the product. They can be cut with a jigsaw from plywood sheets, so that the overall appearance will not be lost.