DIY snow plow for a tiller
How to make a snow shovel for a tiller with your own hands
In the Asian climate of Russia, owners of private houses often face the problem of snow removal, and in large quantities. As a rule, an ordinary snow shovel or other device is always used for these purposes. But today, many summer residents own tillers. It couldn’t be easier how to make a shovel on a tiller to simplify the task of removing snow.
Snow Clearing With My Homemade Walk Behind Snow Plow DIY
- Using a snowplow
- Factory models
- Homemade dump
- Required materials and tools
- Mount Installation
- Features of the construction of a snowplow
- Snow plow structure for tiller
Using a snowplow
A tool such as a snow plow, which engages with the tiller, is designed to remove snow, debris, transfer soil from one end of the site to the other, etc.
A similar tool can be used in a variety of ways and locations. For example, for the needs on a personal land plot, in the field, for any economic activity.
Such a shovel greatly simplifies the process of cleaning something due to the large working surface.
A holistic system looks like this:
- fastening mechanism;
- device by which the angle of rotation of the mechanism is adjusted.
Such designs have a variety of modifications, which have common features. Basically, this is both the principle of operation and the design of the device itself. Today, the acquisition of such a device is not some kind of luxury. This is a common everyday technique of owners of summer cottages for personal needs. With their help, you can easily put things in order in the country, remove garbage and snow, level the plot, etc.
Features of the construction of a snowplow
As another example, it is necessary to consider another option, which does not differ from the previous one, but still has its own characteristics.
For a dump that is in direct contact with snow, you need to prepare a steel sheet 3-4 millimeters thick. For racks that make the unit stiffer, you need to take steel 5-7 millimeters thick.
In such racks, holes are drilled with which the shovel will be attached to the rods. It is important that the fasteners of the homemade snowplow are vertical in relation to the agricultural equipment.
Such a model will consist of the following parts:
- a bracket that connects the device to a tiller or other equipment;
Homemade SNOW PLOW for MOTOCULTIVATOR
Any tiller company can also offer a range of snow plows. There are popular models of such manufacturers as Centaur, Neva, Zirka, etc. on sale. The only big advantage of a factory design over a self-made one is that they are made of high-quality steel and are more difficult to damage. over, such models last longer than homemade ones. But, on the other hand, they cost a lot.
There are a lot of options for factory dumps, so you should check before buying whether this model is suitable for your existing tiller. At the factory, snow plows are not equipped with spring mechanisms due to the low speed of movement. If the tiller’s speed is low, then the protective mechanisms for contact with the ground lose their meaning. over, in the factory models there are no mechanisms for lifting and turning the unit. In this regard, the price of the factory design is reduced.
For higher performance, it is recommended to replace conventional rubber wheels with factory or homemade lugs. This will speed up the work process.
Snowplow vary. Basically.
Installing the mount
After assembling the shovel and knife, you need to mount and install the mounts with equipment for the snowplow. For these purposes, you need a pipe. It must be welded to the bucket by welding exactly in the center of the structure. Then a metal circle should be welded to this pipe. It is necessary to drill several holes in it around the perimeter in order to subsequently be able to attach to a tiller or other equipment, as well as adjust the angle of inclination of the bucket during snow-clearing work.
After that, you will need a pre-prepared profile square pipe. It is necessary to make the shape of the letter “G” from it. It will act as a holder. The short side of the “letter G” should be attached to a welded metal disc with holes, and the long side to the frame of agricultural equipment (tiller, ATV, etc.). In order to adjust the required height, holes are made in the L-shaped holder, the change of which will adjust the height of the unit.
Required materials and tools
In order to make a shovel for a tiller with your own hands, you will need some materials and tools. Depending on the model chosen, these indicators may differ, therefore, all data should be clarified prematurely. As a rule, they are indicated on the sites where the drawings for certain models are located.
But for a universal design, you will need the following set of tools:
- a steel barrel with a volume of 200 liters;
- an iron strip of approximate dimensions 90x105x4 millimeters;
- profile square pipe, 1 meter 40×40 mm;
- a set of bolts and nuts of the required parameters;
- drills for metal of suitable sizes;
- a set of keys for the corresponding nuts;
- rubber sheet;
- thick sheet of steel;
- Angle Grinder;
- a set of discs for an angle grinder;
- electric drill.
After all the necessary materials and tools are ready, you should start collecting the shovel on the tiller with your own hands. The simplest snow removal mechanism can be made from a 200-liter old barrel, since it will have a perfectly round shape from the very beginning, which is just right for such a “gadget”. This avoids unnecessary labor costs when heating a sheet of metal and providing it with the desired shape.
To begin with, in such a barrel, you need to cut off the lid and bottom using an angle grinder. Then the barrel is sawn by an angle grinder lengthwise into three parts equal in width. The left and right curved parts must be welded together, thereby forming a bucket for the future apparatus, and the remaining strips must be cut into small parts. These parts will later be used to improve the rigidity of the snow blower. They need to be evenly welded to the bucket by welding and at the same time do not forget to be sure to weld two strips on the sides.
In order for the device to come out reliable and of high quality, it is necessary to weld a knife at the bottom of the bucket. To do this, you need a strip of iron 800x95x3 mm. It is necessary to drill three holes of 5-7 millimeters in it. The distance between the stripes should not exceed 110 millimeters.
Such actions are mandatory, as this will strengthen the rubber pad and prevent damage to the asphalt on the site. The knife will be attached to the structure using bolted connections.
Dump trucks for agricultural machinery (tillers, tractors, ATVs, etc.) greatly facilitate the process of snow removal. This is especially noticeable with large bulk. Any snow-clearing “gadget” for equipment consists of three elements: a working body that contacts the snow, a mechanism for adjusting the angle of rotation, and a fastening unit with equipment.
Although the factory models have many different types of designs for any agricultural device, self-assembly of the snow removal element is simple, and can significantly save money.
With the help of a home-made device, you can not only clean snow in the winter, but also remove garbage, level the site and other necessary functions.
It does not matter what design the owner uses. a factory one or a do-it-yourself blade. In any case, it will have three provisions:
- slope angle to the left 30 degrees;
- slope angle to the right 30 degrees;
- upright position.
Before starting work on snow removal, the shovel-blade should be installed in the desired position, based on three possible ones. After determining and establishing the required position, it is fixed with metal cotter pins. The width of the snow throwing area is usually one meter, but provided that the thickness of the steel used is 3-4 millimeters. Some factory models allow you to throw more snow. This is because industrial designs are usually made from high quality steel.
Blade from a gas cylinder. how to do it yourself?
One of the most common options is to make a blade from a 200 liter barrel or from a gas cylinder. Such a nozzle for snow removal will successfully cope with clearing the local area from caked ice-covered snow masses, and will save you time and effort.
As in the first case, you will need a detailed diagram, which will describe in detail all the dimensions and installation location of the main elements of the snow blower. Further, to make an auger or rotary snow blower, you will need to prepare the same materials and tools as in the first case. Steel sheets and stiffeners do not need to be purchased. a cylinder or barrel will be used instead.
A snow plow for a tiller is manufactured as follows:
- Cut an empty barrel or cylinder into 3 parts. as a result, you should have 3 curved segments, from which you need to make a shovel;
- Weld 2 segments from the resulting three to each other along the contour. As a result, you will receive a product with a thickness of 3 mm. this is quite enough for high-quality snow removal;
- Install a sturdy steel blade to reinforce the bottom of the blade. Drill 3 holes in the knife with a pitch of 10 and a diameter of 6 mm. When installing the knife on the bucket, place a rubber gasket between the elements;
- In the middle part of the installed pipe, weld a semicircle in which 3 holes are made in advance. they will be used to securely fix the turning corners of the bucket;
- From another piece of pipe, make an L-shaped holder. Insert one end of the part into one of the holes in the semicircle, and fix the other on the tiller frame. You can see the result of the work done in the photo.
A ready-made snow shovel will help remove a large amount of freshly fallen and packed snow. Thanks to the large bucket width, you can clear a significant swath, saving you time and effort.
For better cleaning of the local area, a sweeping brush can be installed on the manufactured dump. It should be bolted just behind the bucket. If you want to use this element, then during the manufacture of the blade, 2 pipes must be welded to its side parts, at least 1 m long.A third pipe is welded perpendicularly to the pipes, and the brush itself is welded to it.
How to make a do-it-yourself blade for a tiller?
A shovel for a tiller is one of the simplest options for a blade, but this does not mean that it will take 30 minutes to make it and a minimum of scrap materials. On the contrary, if you want to make a shovel for a tiller, you will need to carefully prepare and purchase all the necessary tools and materials in advance.
In order for the homemade blade to turn out as high quality as possible, be sure to study the drawings. They will tell you the dimensions and order of fastening the elements of the clearing device.
After a detailed study of the drawings, prepare all the necessary equipment and materials. To work you will need:
- tin sheets, at least 3 mm thick. The dimensions of the sheets must be 85 x 22 x 45 cm;
- 1 metal stand. a steel pipe is suitable for this;
- 4 stiffening ribs, about 4 mm thick;
- a strip of steel long enough to cover the blade. The thickness of the strip must be at least 5 mm;
- 2 lugs for fastening the blade rod;
- a set of washers and nuts;
- square pipe, with a cross section of 4 × 4 cm and a length of 1 m;
- a set of drills with a diameter of 5–6 and 8–9 mm;
- a flat piece of rubber;
- 2 rods, 52 cm long each;
- 1 sheet of steel, 10–12 mm thick with dimensions 60 x 60 cm;
- welding machine;
- angle grinder with discs for cutting steel;
- hammer drill or electric drill.
Having all of the above materials and tools on hand will make it easier for you to make a mounted snow blower for a tiller. The correct procedure is as follows:
- Make the intake bucket first. To do this, take the stiffeners and weld the frame from them with three horizontal and four vertical guides. Next, heat the steel sheets with a gas burner and carefully bend the metal so that it takes the shape of a ladle. Weld the finished element to the frame made of stiffeners. As a result, you should have a snow plow identical to the one shown in the photo;
- Next, make a knife for clearing snow. this element should grind the packed snow and strengthen the snow blower on the tiller. To make a knife, take a steel strip and drill 3 identical holes in it, the diameter of which should be 5–6 mm. The distance between them should not be less than 10 cm. Next, fasten the knife with bolts, putting a rubber gasket between it and the bucket;
- The next step will be the manufacture and installation of the fastening mechanism. Cut a 4 x 4 cm piece of pipe and weld it to the back of the bucket about the middle of the element. In the middle of the tube, weld a piece in the shape of a semicircle. for this, take a thick piece of steel. In a semicircle, make 3 identical holes, which will later be needed to screw in the bolts;
- Then take the same piece of pipe and make a holder out of it that resembles the letter “G”. Carefully insert one end of the holder into one of the holes in the semicircle, and fasten the other end securely to the tiller frame;
- The bucket lift can be adjusted by means of two bolts screwed into the surface of the existing recesses in the square tube. The video will tell you more about the manufacture of a snow plow.
Having made a shovel on a snow tiller, it is imperative to check the operability of the device. First of all, test the serviceability of the blade height adjustment mechanism. this will give confidence that when cleaning in the yard, you will not damage the decorative coating of the local area. The snow plow attachment to the tiller should not outweigh the agricultural machine. if you notice that the center of gravity of the machine and attachments is broken, be sure to attach the weighting weights to the rear of the tiller.
Often so much snow falls over several winter days that it can be quite difficult to remove it with a shovel alone. In this case, a tiller will come to the rescue, which can be equipped with a homemade blade. This will help clear the area, saving you time and energy.
Installing a snow blower on a tiller. about installation in detail
The blade must be fastened to the tiller by means of a system of brackets that must be welded to the tiller’s supporting structure. Use two rods that will be inoperative as additional locks. The rods will serve to reduce the load on the brackets used.
It is not recommended to use bolts without brackets for fastening for a number of reasons. Firstly, they can freeze to the structure, which is why you cannot remove the blade from the tiller. Secondly, the bolts, even anchor bolts, during the operation of the tiller with a blade, will succumb to strong vibration, which will lead to their deformation or loss during cleaning. Third, the bolts will not be able to hold the bucket full of snow. As a result, the fasteners will break sooner or later.
Blade design features
The blade is an attachment in the form of a shovel or a bucket, installed on the tiller in order to clear the adjacent territory from snow and debris, as well as level the soil. A snow blower for a tiller greatly simplifies cleaning, and can be used both in the house area and in the common area.
- only forward;
- with a slope of 30 ° to the left;
- with a slope of 30 ° to the right.
Before proceeding directly to the manufacture of the snow plow, you should choose the optimal angle of the shovel position, and fix it on the tiller using the L-shaped mount.
Rules for operating a tiller with a homemade blade
In order for the snow cleaning to take place without unexpected incidents, you should adhere to certain rules for using a homemade blade. These include:
- to save the engine resource, use a snow blade with a height of at least 5 cm. in other cases, you can use only a sweeping brush by raising the bucket;
- when using a tiller with a dump, put special anti-slip chains on the wheels of the unit in advance. they will prevent the machine from skidding on ice;
- when regularly removing a large amount of snow, check the tiller engine from time to time. when working with attachments, it lends itself to increased heating and wear, which can lead to oil boiling in the motor;
- regularly check the reliability of the fasteners. replace brackets with cracks immediately;
- so that the snow plow does not crack and deform, carefully set the height of its position above the cover of the adjacent territory;
- in no case try to scrape off the remnants of snow from the coating with the lower part of the bucket. for this you have a sweeping brush;
- always make sure that snow and ice blocks do not fall inside the tiller through the grille and openings in the body. this can lead to engine breakdown, damage to the piston group and carburetor, as well as a short circuit inside the tiller wiring. To protect the unit, cover all openings in its body with steel shields. In this case, the latter should be installed so that their rear parts are slightly bent away from the body. Thus, the air necessary to cool it will get to the engine;
- before installing and using the blade, install a protective plate in front of the front wheels of the tiller. it will prevent ice and snow from falling on the suspension parts of the unit, the melting of which will lead to the formation of rust on the parts;
- if, when raising or lowering the bucket, you find strange creaks emitted by the blade rods, be sure to lubricate the bolts and brackets with grease;
- at the end of the winter season, thoroughly clean and dry the blade of snow and dry before taking the blade to the garage for storage. After that, treat the bucket surface, rods, mounting brackets and bolts with a rustproofing agent;
All of the listed tips for the manufacture, installation and operation of a homemade blade are suitable for tillers Salyut, Agro, OKA, Patriot, MTZ, Agat, Kaskad, as well as Neva MB-1 and MB-2.
Basic rules and manufacturing criteria
An important point that cannot be neglected when drawing up a homemade drawing is the ratio of the amount of work to the power of the unit. When overloaded, components and mechanisms will quickly wear out, which leads to breakdowns and inoperability of the machine.
The manufacture of a blade for a tiller must be carried out with keeping certain conditions:
- Durable material. For normal service, at least for several years, the knife must have a strong base. Any part of the shovel must be manufactured with a load and strong impact in mind.
- Excerpt sizes. The self-made blade should not be very wide or high. The optimal width is considered to be the limit from 80 to 130 cm, and the height from 30 to 50 cm.
- Lifting mechanism. When developing a drawing, a lifting device in the form of hydraulics or levers can be added to the structure. This function will allow you to transport snow or use the unit as a loader.
- Swivel joint. With the help of such a device, you can change the angle and inclination of the shovel to the left and right, up and down. Thanks to this, the removal of snow or debris will be carried out better and taking into account human needs. For turning up and down, you can make a structure like a rotary plow.
- Rubber. It is imperative to install a thick rubber cushion strip on the bottom of the blade. In this case, the tiller is less damaged from impacts, and the bucket from deformation and failure. The road surface is also protected.
- Installation and dismantling speed. Since the tiller is a universal device, its rigging should be carried out as quickly as possible without the use of special tools.
The blade can be placed on the front bracket, under the chassis, or behind the tiller. For attachment at the rear, you can use the attachment of the plow to the tiller, which will greatly facilitate and speed up the work, but the most suitable is the positioning from the front of the unit. With this setting, the maximum cleaning quality is ensured.
The finished product can be created and oriented in a horizontal or vertical position. The vertical option is chosen when space is limited.
Tools and materials
To create a snow plow yourself, you will need:
- steel sheet 850x700x3 mm;
- 4 steel plates 450x230x3-4 mm;
- iron strip 850x100x3 mm;
- two eyelets for attaching rods;
- 1 m of a square pipe with a section of 40×40 mm;
- bolts М10, М12 and М8, as well as washers and nuts;
- two rods 520 mm long;
- a set of drills for metal;
- set of wrenches;
- a sheet of thick durable rubber;
- small but thick steel sheet;
- angle grinder with discs for metal;
- apparatus for electric welding;
- hand electric drill.
Features of the manufacture of a snow plow
Consider another option for making a shovel, which is not too different from the previous one. For the blade itself, you will need 3 mm steel sheet, and for the struts that provide additional rigidity, you need to take thicker steel. It is necessary to make holes in the racks for attaching the shovel to the rods. It is very important to ensure vertical placement of attachments homemade equipment in relation to the front of the power unit.
- bracket for attaching the rods to the tiller;
Tiller with blade
Blade design and features
Making a decision to make a fixture can save you the time-consuming work of manually clearing snow with a conventional shovel. Before starting the manufacture of the device, you need to understand the design features of the snow removal mechanism, which consists of several parts:
- Snow shovel
- Steering angle correction mechanism
The mount is responsible for securing the blade to the machine frame. Having made a strong shovel, it will be possible not only to remove snow, but also to carry out garbage collection or leveling of ground irregularities.
The process of adjusting the angle of rotation ends by setting the required position and locking. For this, splint is used. It should be borne in mind that the size of a shovel in width is usually no more than one meter. This size is considered normal when the thickness of the metal workpiece is 2. 3 mm.
In the process of making a blade with your own hands, you can add metal attachments like knives to the bottom of the sheet, which will give convenience when leveling the ground. The equipment can also be equipped with a rubber pad to improve snow removal. A spring damping mechanism should not be installed for the adaptation, since the movement speed is small, and protection from contact with uneven ground is not needed. the tiller also does not need to be equipped with a swivel-lifting device, which reduces the cost of manufacturing a snow blower kit.
Mounting the blade to the tractor
Most of the tillers are equipped with a standard bracket for attaching attachments. It can be used to attach the front shovel of the tractor. If necessary, you can make an adapter to ensure that the blade turns to the left or to the right. Skimmer attachment technology can be used when installing the bucket to the rear of the machine.
Front bucket attachment manufacturing:
- Weld a profile pipe to the back of the bucket. For reinforcement, can be bolted after welding.
- Make a semicircle with a radius of 10. 12 cm from a metal sheet 1 cm thick. The workpiece must be welded to the profile pipe. Holes are drilled in a circle to be able to set the blade rotation angle.
- When making a shovel, a holder is also made. To do this, it is necessary to make an “g”.shaped profile from a square pipe. The short side of the holder is attached to the swivel sector, and the other edge is rigidly fixed to the tractor bracket. The height will be adjusted by means of the bolts screwed into the adapter.
There is also an easier way of fastening, for this they use lugs and locks made of durable steel sheet.
Making a blade from a barrel
For the bucket, you need to select a barrel with thick walls. The best option is a stainless steel product. In the absence of a strong barrel, you can use the usual.
The work is carried out in the following sequence:
- Marking is applied to the barrel. On the bottom and sides, it is divided into 3 identical sectors of 120º each. The object is then cut by an angle grinder. The remaining parts of the bottom are trimmed along the chord. End pieces are needed to stiffen the bucket.
- If the tin is thin, then the 2 parts are folded together and fastened. It is advisable to lubricate the details with hot bitumen before joining. This will prevent corrosion, increase the weight of the bucket and reduce noise from metal striking stones and curbs. Fixation of parts is carried out with rivets or bolts.
- The perimeter of the resulting bucket is reinforced with a steel strip with a thickness of at least 3 mm. Fastening is carried out using welding, bolts or rivets. The upper and lower parts of the bucket are reinforced with semicircular inserts from the drum scrap.
- A conveyor belt is attached to the bottom of the bucket. The width of the protruding part should be between 3-10 cm, depending on the conditions in which it is planned to operate the snow thrower. The belt should be made removable to use the blade for handling bulk materials.
- The finished product is cleaned of rust, sagging and scale. It is treated with anti-corrosion agents and painted.
In a similar way, a bucket is made from a gas cylinder. Since its walls have sufficient strength, their additional reinforcement is not required.
Since the steel on the dump will constantly wear out and become thinner, it is advisable to immediately make a replaceable dump. As soon as the service life of the first stage product ends, you can immediately install a replacement in its place.
DIY snow plow for a tiller
With the onset of a harsh winter, there is a problem with snow removal. This especially affects the owners of private houses and land plots outside the city. Therefore, many are wondering how to make a do-it-yourself blade for a tiller.