Do It Your Own Repair Of A Motocultivator, Is It Possible?
When operating complex equipment, sooner or later breakdowns occur. Well, if your walk-behind tractor is under warranty, and the service center has no reason to refuse you a free repair.
And such a situation can occur when you do not know what to fill in the cultivator, and incorrect operating fluids lead to a malfunction.
If you do not violate the operating conditions and carry out maintenance on time, breakdowns occur only due to wear of rubbing parts, or factory defects.
In order not to puzzle why the cultivator stalls, or how to disassemble the gearbox, we will consider the main malfunctions of this garden assistant. Knowing the unit’s device, you can understand how to repair any of its components.
All breakdowns can be divided into the following groups:
- Malfunction of the engine fuel system (open or clogged fuel line, clogged carburetor, failure of the fuel pump);
- Malfunction of electrical equipment (failure of components of the ignition system);
- Mechanical failures (gearbox, engine piston system, drive axle or power take-off shaft);
- Clogged filters. air, fuel;
- Lack of fuel or its low quality (no matter how corny it sounds).
Check and repair the fuel system of the cultivator
You can repair the fuel system of the cultivator yourself, while you must adhere to the assembly and disassembly sequence, which is described below.
The symptoms of a fuel system malfunction are as follows:
- The engine will not start;
- Ruggedly idling;
- The cultivator smokes heavily, or drops of liquid break out from the muffler;
- The unit stalls when a load is applied.
- First, check all the filters. Air condition can be assessed "by eye". If it is covered with dust, straw or bird feathers (and when working on the farm it is not uncommon). replace it, and try to start the engine again. The fuel filter is checked by letting gas back through it.. If you see a thick dark liquid. the filter is clogged. Replacement required.
- Then disassemble and rinse the carburetor with acetone. Rate throttle free play. Check integrity and reliability of fastening of elements of the fuel line.
- Clean the fuel tank and mixture tap with clean gasoline.
Before starting the repair of the cultivator, especially associated with the disassembly of the components. photograph the blocks and assemblies in assembled form. This will facilitate reassembly.
After cleaning the carburettor, check the flow of fuel into the cylinder. To do this, press the button of the float chamber, gas should appear from its cover. Having convinced of correctness of assembly. try to start the engine. With a high degree of probability the malfunction will be eliminated.
Ignition system repair
Symptoms of a malfunction in the ignition system:
- With normal fuel supply, the engine will not start. The fuel supply can be checked by unscrewing the candle. If it is wet, it means that fuel is flowing in. Put the connected plug on the motor housing, vigorously rotate the starter. You should see a spark between the electrodes. If it is not there, look for a malfunction in the generator-ignition coil-high-voltage cable chain;
- The motor runs intermittently at idle;
- May stall at idle.
Video: Do It Your Own Repair Of A Motocultivator, Is It Possible?
First, check the condition of the candle. If chips, cracks or other damage to the insulator are visible, the spark plug should be replaced.
Check for carbon deposits on the electrodes, and adjust the gap.
Inspect the condition of the high voltage cable and spark plug. Very often, from overheating or fuel ingress during refueling, the cable is damaged. In this case, the “spark” goes through the insulation to the motor housing, and the mixture does not ignite.
If at this stage everything is in order. the fault may be in the coil or generator. Connect a measuring device to the generator terminals and rotate the starter pulley as if you want to start the cultivator.
Indications should be between 12-16 volts. Check the cable from the generator to the breaker. If all components are serviceable, then the ignition coil is out of order. Replace it, and the engine will recover.
Check and repair gearbox
Signs of transmission malfunction:
- Turns of a working shaft do not correspond to engine turns;
- The belt on the cultivator burns, or slips under intense load;
- You haven’t plunged the mill into the ground yet. and the engine “bucks up” from the load;
- The output shaft of the motor rotates, and the working shaft stands still.
Before inspecting and repairing the gearbox, you need to understand how to disassemble and assemble this complex assembly correctly. Particular care should be taken with the circlips and shaft seals.. The general scheme of the gearbox is shown in the illustration:
First check the oil level in the housing. If you can not answer the question: "What kind of oil is poured into the cultivator?". carefully read the instructions.
Special lubricants are used for moving parts of the gearbox because they operate in extreme conditions.
After separating the halves of the housing, carefully inspect the chain and gears for damage. Check chain tension.
In any case, you should disassemble the gearbox (carefully fixing the location of the elements) and rinse all the parts in kerosene. Parts that have defects or missing parts (for example, gear teeth) must be replaced.
Carefully assemble the structure. Make sure that all the parts engage with each other, and there is no distortion of the gears. If necessary, replace the gasket or form it from the appropriate sealant.
Before mounting on the cultivator, rotate the gearbox shafts manually. Make sure that the rotation is uniform, no clanging and rattle is heard. Fill the gearbox with new lubricant.
Start the cultivator without attachments. Check for leaks from the gear housing. Then perform simple work with a mill or other devices. If efficiency is restored. your efforts paid off, and you do not have to visit the workshop.
Features of repair of worm gears
Scheme of the device in the illustration:
These types of construction are used on low-power compact cultivators. Simplicity of execution and low cost makes this gearbox popular among gardeners. However, not everything is as simple as we would like.
With an increase in load, the joint of the worm and gear wear out intensively. The design feature does not allow you to independently adjust the load, and the teeth very quickly become unusable.
Defined or crumbled gears cannot be restored. They need to be changed.
Self-repair of a cultivator is a rather complicated procedure, but with due diligence, you can easily save on visiting a company service.
Watch the video: DIY cultivator motor repair. Disassembly, assembly and some repair tips.