Do-it-yourself all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor
Do-it-yourself all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor
Homemade mini all-terrain vehicle made from the “Neva” walk-behind tractor.
From an ordinary walk-behind tractor, you can make an excellent mini all-terrain vehicle for off-road travel.
To build such a homemade product, you will need a single-axle tractor with a trolley trailer, having slightly modified it, you will get an excellent vehicle for moving through snow, mud and sand.
To alter a walk-behind tractor, you will need any track from a snowmobile or a motorized towing vehicle, if there is none, then a conveyor belt will do (you need to install homemade tracks on the conveyor belt, hooks made from a metal corner).
We take the caterpillar, cut it along the circumference of the wheel and put it on the wheels of the walk-behind tractor, you need to tightly fit the wheel with the caterpillar, connect the ends of the caterpillar with bolts, washers and nuts. It is advisable to use wheels of the largest possible diameter, the more the better.
As a result, we get such a mini all-terrain vehicle as in the photo. Wide track protectors significantly increase its passability in sand, mud and snow.
И ЭТО можно ПОСАДИТЬ??? Вездеходы Тингер в БОЛОТЕ!!!
In such a simple way, with the help of tracks, we increase the size of the wheels and the area of contact of the wheel with the ground surface.
A minimum of alterations and a homemade all-terrain vehicle is ready! Now you can safely go off-road to the most inaccessible places. for berries, mushrooms, you can go fishing to the river or just go for a ride.
The homemade product can also be used as a snowmobile, such a technique will move on moderate snow and ice.
If necessary, the tracks can be removed at any time and the single-axle tractor can be used as intended.
We offer you to watch a trip on a homemade all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor.
The working process
- First you need to choose a base for the design. A frame from an old Ural or IZH motorcycle can be used. Thanks to such options, the car will be more maneuverable and will be able to easily overcome any obstacles;
- The next step is to create the suspension and rear axle. Independent rear and front suspensions are connected by means of a rack, a steering bushing and a mowing bar;
- Wheels for mounting should be taken from powerful trucks. Excellent, but not mandatory, options will be cameras with low pressure (from KamAZ and Ural cars). Having made the right choice, the driver can be confident in his own safety and enjoy easy driving;
- Mounting the motor is one of the most serious steps in creating an all-terrain vehicle based on a walk-behind tractor. Finally, the owner must securely attach the engine, clutches, brakes and exhaust system.
Only after a thorough check of the newly-made high-traffic vehicle, you can start testing and further operation.
Caracat from a walk-behind tractor: specificity
In fact, the karakat performs almost the same tasks as the all-terrain vehicle, only its peculiarity is manifested in large wheels tightened with strong belts. At first glance, such a device may seem rather cumbersome and awkward, but in fact, the specified transport is calmly operated on terrible roads at speeds up to 70 km / h.
Features of creating a homemade snowmobile from a walk-behind tractor with your own hands
Many craftsmen know that such an agro-industrial machine as a single-axle tractor can easily be transformed into a snowmobile that allows you to successfully move off-road even on the most snowy days. over, the process of alteration itself is quite simple and uncomplicated.
The main thing is to choose the right engine. Experienced owners of such “assistants” are advised to give preference to the device that has manual control and a towing device. In most cases, a class of motoblocks is used, the design of which provides for the use of a 4-stroke 1-cylinder gasoline engine with air cooling.
We get acquainted with the pneumatic crawler from the walk-behind tractor and the swamp crawler from the walk-behind tractor
As mentioned earlier, the pneumatic vehicle and the swamp vehicle are somewhat modified analogues of the all-terrain vehicle and the karakat. The first option is considered a simple mobile vehicle, which appeared in the 60s and in modern modifications is supplemented with 3-6 wheels for better cross-country ability. A feature of both a pneumatic drive based on a walk-behind tractor and a swamp-going vehicle is the operation of special low-pressure wheels. The fact is that in this case the tires are lightweight, flexible and exert little pressure on the ground. Together with a large rolling radius, the device is characterized by passability and endurance.
The breakaway pneumatic vehicle and the swamp vehicle are created according to the same scheme as the all-terrain vehicle, therefore, many experts often use three terms in one context. On our site, everyone can find a video with the practical use of devices and evaluate their similarity with the indicated alteration options.
How to make a snowmobile from a walk-behind tractor: step by step instructions
- To begin with, the engine is installed from the walk-behind tractor on a caterpillar drive;
- Then two rods are attached to it, joining the transverse beam (where the steering wheel and skis are already fixed);
- The front pillar and seat are mounted in the space between the two rods;
- Now the tracked propeller needs to be attached to the specified crossbeam;
- All other parts should be attached with pins and bolts.
The result should be an excellent motorized vehicle capable of transporting a person (and a small load) in difficult weather conditions.
We create an all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor with our own hands
It is worth noting that the very concept of “all-terrain vehicle” means a vehicle with high cross-country ability. An important fact: the all-terrain vehicle, the karakat and the pneumatic vehicle, the swamp vehicle are synonymous with only a few minor modifications. If a person manages to create a homemade mini-all-terrain vehicle, he will receive a real masterpiece that will become his pride. Before starting construction work, it is necessary to decide whether the device will be on tracks or on pneumatic wheels. An important point: it is much more difficult to create a tracked unit, and it requires special knowledge and physical effort to operate it. A powerful engine should also be prepared for installation. It doesn’t matter what it will be, diesel or gasoline, the main thing is that the part is powerful and equipped with forced water or air cooling.
Step-by-step instructions for making a homemade all-terrain vehicle
- Creation of the foundation for the all-terrain vehicle. It is advisable to take ready-made frames, for example, from old motor vehicles such as Ural or IZH. Thanks to them, the future all-terrain vehicle will be durable and maneuverable;
- After the frame, go to the rear axle. The strut, mowing and rudder bushings bring together two suspensions. rear and front;
- At this stage, the wheelbase of the all-terrain vehicle is assembled. A used spare wheel from trucks is suitable as it. If low-pressure chambers are installed on them, the all-terrain vehicle will be guaranteed excellent controllability and maneuverability. We will talk about their step-by-step implementation at the end of the article;
- Integration into the prefabricated structure of the engine, without which mini all-terrain vehicles on wheels will not be able to perform their function;
- After the installation of the motor system, the homemade product is supplemented with a transmission, exhaust elements and brakes, which can be taken from an old car or motorcycle to reduce power and time costs.
Following the assembly, they proceed to field tests of the unit assembled by their own hands, the success of which is a prerequisite for full-value operation.
Homemade all-terrain vehicle based on a walk-behind tractor with your own hands
The classic definition of an ATV is that it is a car or other form of transport for off-road driving and trails with any road surface. An all-terrain vehicle based on light and medium agricultural machinery, belongs to the category of mini all-terrain vehicles with small dimensions and reduced weight.
Before you start making a mini all-terrain vehicle with your own hands, you need:
- find a serviceable diesel or gasoline engine, the traction potential of which will allow not only moving, but also transporting the driver;
- decide on the type of chassis. It can be tracked and wheeled. The tracked mini all-terrain vehicle is more passable. However, its execution is always an order of magnitude more difficult, and the control process may not be within the power of a person with primary technical knowledge.
Homemade all-terrain vehicle based on a walk-behind tractor
a uniaxial tractor is one of the most successful agricultural machinery designs. That is why craftsmen learned to create other vehicles on its basis. swamp-going vehicles, caracats, etc. Despite the synonymy at first glance of these concepts, they all have their own nuances and are adapted to specific operating conditions. The similarities and differences between self-made modes of transport from small agricultural machinery will be discussed in this article.
ATV from a walk-behind tractor: alteration in 4 steps
An ATV is a vehicle on four wheels, characterized by good cross-country ability, maneuverability and increased safety. Often, designers compare it to a 4-wheeled motorcycle.
Homemade ATVs are most often recreated on the basis of powerful units of the “Neva” type. Step by step, this process looks like this:
After some simple manipulations, the ATV can be tested on a country track.
Swamp vehicles and pneumatic vehicles as a modified version of all-terrain vehicles
The swamp-going vehicle is a vehicle with high cross-country ability. Swamp walkers have proven themselves well in swampy areas, shallow waters, muddy and swampy soils. Very popular with fishermen, hunters, researchers, forced to overcome tens of kilometers of impassable off-road.
The process of assembling swamp vehicles is similar to designing an ATV or a karakat from a cultivator, which is why we will not dwell on it in detail.
Pneumatic is a type of transport that emerged in the middle of the last century. Today, the design of pneumatic passages has been significantly improved. In some variants of pneumatic passages, the number of wheels has been increased to 6 instead of the standard 4. Conventionally, the pneumatic drive can be called a walk-behind tractor on pneumatic wheels.
Based on the name itself, the main difference between the pneumatic drive and other home-made products from a motor-cultivator is the wheelbase. Low pressure wheels used in this unit, due to the minimum effort on the ground, allow you to avoid loading, slipping and other unpleasant moments.
Cultivator-based Karakat: Features and Build
A caracat from a walk-behind tractor in its intended purpose is similar to the above-considered device.The differences are:
- increased wheelbase with belt clutch;
- extended operating conditions. the karakat is capable of generating speeds up to 70 km / h on rough terrain.
In view of the fact that the main emphasis in this alteration concerns precisely the tires, we will dwell on them in more detail.
Among the existing methods of self-replicating powerful and large stingrays on a karakat, several main ones can be distinguished:
- considered the lightest. Two metal discs are taken and aggregated onto a bushing. Cameras are put on them, fixed with a conveyor belt. the single-axle tractor on chambers has good stability and endurance;
- only one of the discs is attached to the hub. Jumpers are installed on it. The rings are adapted to the last welding machine;
- resembles the previous method, however, an additional spoke is needed for the central disc, which can be made from a metal blank or pipe;
- will give new life to discs from an old scooter, which are standardly attached to the hub.
As a reference outline for the further assembly of the karakat, you can use the proposed drawings. Home-made carakat based on the engine from the “Neva” or “MTZ” tillage machine is assembled as follows:
- we cook a frame from a metal profile or pipes;
- install front and rear wheel drive. It is allowed if they are without differential and solid;
- the front axle can be borrowed from the vehicle chassis. The steering rack is taken from it;
- the engine is borrowed from the tillage machine. You can leave the original gearbox or replace it with a multi-stage gearbox. In this case, it will be easier to control the speeds in the karakata. With a gearbox, you will have to stop before changing the speed of movement;
- put the slopes and proceed to testing the karakart.
DIY low pressure wheels: modification of homemade products from light agricultural machinery
An all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor with low-pressure wheels, as well as a classic pneumatic crawler from a walk-behind tractor, is a universal solution for the most difficult sections that an ordinary SUV may not be able to master. Most often these are wetlands, sand dunes, rocky roads. Low pressure (up to 2 kg / cm 2) and a huge amount of pneumatic space make the rubber more elastic, which helps to overcome any obstacles.
Low pressure wheels are expensive, commensurate with the price of the rest of the karakat or swamp vehicle. Therefore, we will dwell on how to make homemade motor vehicles. an air-powered vehicle, an ATV or an air-powered swamp vehicle.
- we find the basis. ready-made tires from cargo or aircraft. The latter is many times lighter and more durable. Due to its uniform thickness, it will be easier to work with. But tires from ZIL or GAZ are also worthy of attention;
- remove the wire cord around the entire perimeter of the workpiece;
- we undermine and dismantle the tread pattern of rubber. Manually, this is quite laborious, which is why we need a winch and a sharp knife;
Супер вездеход из мотоблока-all-terrain vehicle from a walk-behind tractor
- after processing the tire, we proceed to the formation of a new tread pattern. It should be remembered that his character directly depends on the type of soil on which he will ride. For example, a deep tread is suitable for a swamp vehicle, for clay soils. a pattern that will not interfere with their self-cleaning. Narrow grooves will be viable in the sand for the air travel. The new pattern is applied manually with a special well-sharpened knife. after that, we start assembling the disc;
- reformatting disks has one important goal. to lighten them to the maximum. Examples of ready-made transformations are presented in the figures below;
- collecting a spare tire;
- pumping up the cameras. In order for the tires to be tightly fixed to the disc, a reinforced type conveyor belt is used.
Such recommendations are a progressive solution for any home-made machines from motor-cultivators. a caracat, an ATV, a swamp vehicle and even a snowmobile.