Do-it-yourself soil hooks on the tiller
How to choose lugs for a tiller
Before considering how to make lugs for a tiller yourself with your own hands from car disks, you need to consider the procedure for choosing these devices, and in addition, the main purpose. What are the proper tiller lugs for? These devices allow you to cultivate arable land before planting, carry out hilling, and in addition to plow the soil after harvesting. When choosing these devices, the following parameters should be taken into account:
- First of all, the choice of lugs for a specific tiller should be based on the available budget.
- It is necessary to take into account the dimensions of the cultivator, as well as attachments (length, height and width, as well as diameter).
- The selection of devices should be based on the purpose and functions of the application of the corresponding tiller and structural elements.
- It is also important to take into account the type of soil that is subjected to appropriate processing using a cultivator.
- This takes into account the availability of a variant of technical equipment (attachments, devices on a rigid hitch or an auxiliary device).
- You should also take into account the area of the land plot, and in addition, the power of the cultivator used for processing.
- The cost is taken into account separately, as well as the manufacturer and compatibility of technical equipment.
In this video, we will consider the lugs for the tiller:
Considering all these parameters, you can make a rational choice of a suitable option for purchase, or try out the independent manufacture of devices from disks, using certain diagrams and drawings that are freely available on the Internet for download. Additionally, if necessary, all the design developments can be done independently if you have certain skills, knowledge and some aspiration.
Important. When purchasing attachments, it is recommended to take into account that, in the main, the model range is made for each cultivator in a separate order.
Do-it-yourself lugs for a tiller from car disks
Auto mechanic specializing in agricultural machinery
In modern life, various devices are used that are designed to significantly reduce physical activity when performing certain work. For agriculture and horticulture, appropriate special equipment is used, which increases productivity. In practice, special attention is paid to small and multifunctional devices.
One such device is the tiller. Of course, the device itself has no definite value without additional attachments. However, due to the high cost, the lugs for the tiller and other devices can be made independently. In this case, it is necessary to consider exactly how homemade lugs are performed for a device such as a tiller Mole or other models.
Save time and effort with tiller lugs
How to weight lugs
As mentioned earlier, for uniform soil cultivation with special attachments, appropriate weighting agents are used, which allows the used mechanism to remain in the process of movement at the required depth. In this case, it is necessary to consider in more detail how to make the used canopies heavier, namely:
- for purchased equipment, special auxiliary weights can be used, which are hung together;
- if necessary, you can use the hanging of any heavy object for uniform plowing;
- in this case, it is possible to independently create a sufficiently heavy device that will loosen the soil evenly;
- often on the produced versions, the corresponding center of gravity is specially provided, which is achieved by the presence of a certain design;
- weighting can be an additional adjustable insert, which is present on the attachment.
Important. When working with such equipment, you should take into account the weather conditions, and in addition, the moisture and softness of the cultivated soil surface.
DIY grousers to the tiller
In modern practice, there is no need to purchase such versions of structural elements, since there is an opportunity to do everything you need yourself. As a rule, this will require certain materials, as well as some auxiliary tool for the manufacture of the corresponding mechanisms. In this case, the procedure for making special homemade lugs is as follows:
- First of all, you need to find the appropriate execution scheme, or make it yourself, taking into account the available assembly option.
- The next step is to prepare everything necessary to complete the arrangement of attachments on a motor cultivator.
- Next, you have to correctly calculate all the dimensions of the upcoming homemade lug on the cultivator.
- Additionally, it is necessary to decide on the option of hitching a homemade device and mechanized equipment.
Create your own lugs
- Subsequently, according to the prepared scheme, the necessary product is manufactured for plowing the soil.
- Here, a holding frame is produced separately, and in addition, the device itself for cultivating the soil on the land plot.
- Subsequently, the manufacture of the corresponding mechanism is carried out for making the coupling with the mount present on the tiller.
- Further, a full assembly of the entire mechanism is carried out from previously made separate structural elements and devices.
- Separately, weighting arrangements are carried out here, which can be performed with the addition of weights determined by weight.
- Also, if necessary, you can use a specialized frame, which will have the necessary weight and a shifted center of gravity.
- After the structure is assembled, it will be necessary to carry out its initial coupling with a mechanized cultivator.
- Additionally, a test run-in of the manufactured equipment is carried out, while, if necessary, adjustment is carried out.
In the production of such technical equipment, the main thing in the work is the search or development of a scheme for a future version of the lug. Having the necessary drawing at your disposal will significantly reduce time costs, since the diagram contains a visual drawing of the device, and in addition, all the necessary dimensions are indicated.
It should be understood that in each case, the dimensions of the structure are calculated based on the power of the installation, its size, and, in addition, the clutch option. In other words, it is not recommended to install a large lug on a tiller with a low weight and a weak motor, since such equipment can quickly disable the main mechanism due to excessive load.
Important. In practice, for the independent execution of such equipment for soil cultivation, any strong metal object can be used, including car disks, whose service life has already expired.
The most effective
When choosing the appropriate devices, most often, the models that are most effective are taken into account. In practice, this is only true for specific types of attachments. Let us consider in more detail what types of appropriate equipment should be chosen for the full processing of arable land:
- here, most often, multicomponent milling devices are used, which allow processing the soil in different directions;
- you can give preference in favor of a plow with a harrow, since this equipment can simultaneously plow, loosen and cultivate the soil;
- additionally, home-made devices should be highlighted, since they allow you to apply everything you need in one mechanism;
- demountable multifunctional component cutters and plows with harrows are also in demand.
In each individual case, there are nuances with the appropriate selection of structural elements, however, special weighting materials are an integral part of any type, which serve to make the structure heavier when immersed in the ground. This equipment allows you to plow the soil evenly to the same depth. This arrangement is especially necessary for tall cultivators, where the hitch is significantly higher than the working plane.
From car drives
At present, the arrangement of attachments from these elements is quite widespread. This popularity is due to the following characteristic points:
- All car rims have the required structural rigidity, as well as a suitable size and weight.
- Such devices are easy to find (often old devices are stored in garages by almost all car owners).
- These options for structural elements are quite easy to process, since they were originally made with an eye on possible repairs.
- The mechanisms already have the cuts and other openings necessary for fastening on their central plane.
- This type of device has a long service life with proper surface treatment.
In the use of disks from car wheels, you can find only advantages, since it is the easiest way to make milling lugs for attachments, which will subsequently be mounted on a tiller. Here, when working, you only need to make the necessary cuts with an angle grinder, and then hang the devices on a special frame, which is to be coupled to the tiller. The frame itself is made heavy enough to make the structure heavier.
Important. After carrying out work on the execution of cutters from disks, it remains only to sharpen them correctly, so that later, when processing arable land, additional weighting is not required.
DIY tiller lugs are a good way to save money
- How to make lugs with existing factory wheels
- The simplest do-it-yourself lugs for a tiller
- Homemade lugs for a tiller of complex design
- Combined lugs
What we call wheels. in the case of a tiller, is a lug. In the overwhelming majority of factory designs, the equipment is equipped with conventional wheels with embossed tires for off-road.
This is done in order to be able to use the tractive force for the transport of goods on ordinary dirt roads. Important! The use of a tiller (even factory made) on public roads is prohibited. Even if it has quality factory wheels installed.
Therefore, many owners of small agricultural machinery make lugs for the tiller with their own hands. In this case, it is only necessary to fit the landing nest to the hubs of the factory motor plow. When changing the mode of use, simply mount the desired wheels.
If the tiller is used only in the field, ordinary rubber tires are not needed. And for a mini-tractor of your own production, you do not have to make ordinary wheels at all. In this case, homemade lugs for the tiller will be the only kit.
The design is not new, the first tractors were produced without rubber tires. The wheels were metal, and powerful transverse or diagonal plates of thick steel were installed on the drive rollers.
The simplest do-it-yourself lugs for a tiller
For manufacturing you will need:
- steel sheet 4-5 mm thick for wheel rims;
- steel sheet 6-8 mm thick for hooks;
- Angle Grinder;
- welding machine;
- drilling machine or powerful drill.
Cut out two identical discs from a thinner sheet. In the center we make a hole for the hub and for attaching the wheel to the studs. Cut sawtooth protrusions along the outer edge, 10 cm deep.
Cut out triangular hooks from a thick sheet with cut corners. We weld them strictly perpendicular to the sawtooth notches. Everything, the design is ready for use.
Despite the unprepossessing design, homemade lugs for a tiller made in this way have an important advantage. They are heavy enough to provide a firm grip even on loose or soggy surfaces.
Of course, there can be no question of any kind of movement on a dirt road. These wheels are designed exclusively for field use.
Another economical option is made from a steel circle with a diameter of 15 mm. You can use the steering wheel from the valve on the main gas pipeline, if you can get a pair somewhere. Hooks are welded to the outer rim, and a suitable hub is attached in the center.
The next design is made from car rims. This is the best option for a homemade tiller. When designing, you provide for the standard wheel hubs from the car, and you purchase a complete set of 4 rims. Install tires on one pair, and the second will be for heavy soil.
We take a regular steel corner 50-60 mm and cut it into pieces, slightly wider than your discs. In the middle of one side we cut an angle grinder triangular sector 60 °.
We heat the corner with a gas burner and bend it along the cutout. The joint can be lightly tacked by welding for extra rigidity. We weld the resulting blanks to the outer side of the disc, maintaining an equal distance.
We repeat the assembly on the second disk, keeping in mind the same distance between the corners. Now you can quickly change rubber wheels to steel lugs without experiencing problems with the seat. The disks are the same!
The design of the rims can be simplified. It is enough to cut off the horizontal part (rim) and weld on the steel plates.
The variant is suitable for frequent wheel changes on the same hub type. Only the disks need to be matched.
How to make lugs with existing factory wheels
The easiest way is to put the structure on the tire like snow chains.
It is enough to take sheet metal with a thickness of 2-3 mm, and cut a strip that will be slightly wider than the tire profile. The preload is provided by a simple tie made of bolted studs. The edges of the strip should be folded to prevent slipping under lateral loads.
The lugs are cut from thicker sheet steel (4-5 mm). They need to be bent in the middle at an angle of 120 °. Then the workpieces are welded to the strips at regular intervals.
Therefore, before starting work, you should use ready-made drawings, or develop a layout yourself.
Such lugs can be made with your own hands in a couple of evenings. If you use a regular smooth tread on a homemade trailer, the device will turn the equipment into a real SUV.
We will acquaint fans of small mechanization with various types of structures, and varying degrees of complexity.
Homemade lugs for a tiller of complex design
The products considered above are easy to manufacture, but their consumer properties are far from perfect. Therefore, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the design, which is not inferior in quality to factory counterparts.
For manufacturing you will need:
- Steel sheet 4-5 mm for the central disc;
- Steel strip 50 mm wide 4-5 mm thick for the outer supporting surface. There will be 6 such hoops. The outer rings make the wheel heavier and stronger;
- Steel plate 8-10 mm thick for hooks;
- Arc welding machine, angle grinder, drill or drilling machine.
All connections are made using electric welding, a gas burner will not heat metal of this thickness.
Since the diameter and width of the lugs are larger than the seat for standard wheels, we lengthen the axles.
over, it is necessary to provide for the possibility of adjusting the track, depending on the width of the rows in the field. By moving the wheels with hooks, you can set any width and position of the attachment. Each wheel weighs at least 10 kg, so strong traction is ensured.
It is important to understand that such wheels are not implements for plowing or loosening, although some soil treatment is present. It will not work to use them as a loosening cutter, since an independent fulcrum is required.
DIY How To Sharpen Tiller Tines
If you are not faced with the question of how to make the lugs heavier, the structure can be made more delicate and light. Such wheels work well on “light” soils with preliminary loosening.
In such a project, the discs are made of small diameter, the rim is supported by an openwork spoked structure made of profiled steel sheet. Steel thickness for hooks no more than 8 mm. Each wheel weighs less than 7 kg.
If your technique is homemade, and the ground is not too difficult for work, the wheels should be suitable. You can make do-it-yourself lugs on the tiller using a tractor tread.
For manufacturing, you need the halves of the rims from the “Zhiguli”. We select tires with a developed tread from the tractor. We cut off the sidewalls, we get a closed rubber ring with a good tread. We open the halves from the rims and twist them firmly after laying the tires.
The resulting lugs allow you to move along a compacted dirt road without fear of loosening it. On the soft soil of the plowed field, the wheels will also not let you down, although the tractive effort will be less than when using the metal version.
If, in addition to the tenacity of the wheels, there is the task of obligatory loosening of the soil in the rut, knife-type lugs are made. You can create a homemade rim for attaching the hooks, or you can weld them onto rims.
The only drawback of this design is that the knife-type lugs are not suitable for normal tiller movement. In any case, the land in the track will be plowed up. When loosening the soil in spring in combination with traditional nozzles, the width of the soil cultivated in one pass doubles, saving your time.
It doesn’t matter which way you make the lugs. The main thing is that it is not difficult at all, and the savings are huge.
There are still questions, see homemade lugs for the tiller from what was found in the barn.
Tiller lugs of this brand differ only in size. Above, the dimensions were described, which had to be guided by, converting the old wheels into lugs for the “Neva”. The same scheme is used to make wheels with large hooks. The wheel height is chosen 450 mm. The wheel width should be 110 mm, as for the Neva. Such hooks are suitable for tiller Centaur 2060 and 2090 and units with similar parameters. The factory version will cost about 30.
Constructions for “advanced” farmers
Simple designs from Zhiguli disks can be easily made, but their consumer properties are not ideal. Therefore, in special cases, there is a need for self-made assembly of lugs, which are no worse than factory models, and they will be able to heavily weight the tiller.
To manufacture a complex structure, you need:
- Steel sheet 4-5 millimeters for the main circle.
- Steel strip 50 millimeters, 4-5 millimeters thick for the supporting surface. There should be 6 of them. They strengthen the disc well and make it heavier.
- Steel sheet 8-10 millimeters for creating hooks.
- Welding machine (automatic or semi-automatic), drill, angle grinder, drilling workbench.
All parts are connected using electric welding, since a gas burner will not be able to heat metal of this thickness.
Due to the fact that the diameter of the lugs is larger than that of conventional wheels to the tiller, it is necessary to lengthen their axles.
In this case, it is desirable to provide for the possibility of adjusting the length of such axes, since the rows on the field can be of different widths. Thus, by moving the hooked wheels vertically, you can set them to any level, width and position. In this case, the weight of each wheel will be at least 10 kilograms, and this provides excellent traction.
It is necessary to know that such devices are not suitable for plowing the ground or loosening, although a little processing of the soil occurs at the time of travel across the field. For loosening, the lugs on the tiller are not suitable, since an independent fulcrum is needed here.
If the design according to the project should not be heavy, then you can make it more beautiful, with an aesthetic appearance. Such wheels can be used on light soils where loosening has been done previously. They have a small diameter; in the middle, curly knitting needles made of profiled steel sheet are used. The steel for the hooks must be no more than 8 millimeters, and the weight of the wheel must be no more than 8 kilograms.
It should be noted that for the same Neva tillers, 560/130 lugs are on sale. By the way, they are also suitable for the Favorite and Salute models, since they are universal. Thus, in this case, a width of 13 cm and a height of 56 cm should be observed if a self-made model is to be erected, following the example. Therefore, it makes no sense to separately consider the situation with Salyut tillers. At the same time, even larger wheels can be supplied to them. the Poltava model F700x100.
It’s no secret that heavy machinery works the land better than light machinery. This is evidenced by the fact that people began to be interested in the question of how to make lugs for a car with their own hands. Even hard ground can be processed with such equipment, which a light tractor does not cope with very effectively. For such units, large lugs are required. To summarize, the design parameters will depend on the size of the tiller.
Thus, the following popular tillers can be distinguished:
- “Neva”. Tillers are common and adapt to any conditions. But in the case when the farm already has a Neva tractor, which by its characteristics is not considered universal, you can make soil cutters yourself. It must be borne in mind that the diameter of the device should not be more than 36 centimeters, and the width should not be more than 11.
- MTZ. Even despite the fact that such units are Belarusian, and more. The bottom line is that the wheels of these models of tillers are quite large. It takes a lot of labor to make high-quality lugs. It is important that the dimensions are correct and that the triangular plates that engage the ground are carefully welded to the main lug wheel.
- “Salute”. Such a device is being assembled according to the “Neva” scheme.
- “Centaur”. The wheels in such a device are somewhat similar to the “Neva”. But the first car has 11 centimeters longer wheels. If a lug is made for the “Centaur”, then its length should be 450 millimeters and a width of 110. It can also fit other models of tillers, including those of other manufacturers.
It is also helpful to make a lug extension. They are designed to increase the angle of rotation of the structure and the width of the potassium and counterweight. To do this, a slotted sleeve must be attached to the hub. An additional axle is inserted into such a sleeve, which is fixed with a bolt. Finally, you need to fix the soil cutter wheel on the axle.
Thus, there are many options for making soil cutters with your own hands without much labor and emptying the for expensive factory models.
Originally posted 2018-03-28 15:28:41.
Constructive solution with wheels
The easiest and cheapest way is to make and put the structure on the factory rubber wheel, like ordinary anti-slip chains.
First you need to take a metal sheet and cut a strip out of it slightly wider than the rubber profile. The tension on the wheel can be done by securing the strip with two bolts and nuts. Edges around the entire circle must be folded to avoid slipping under lateral loads.
Then you need to take a thicker sheet of steel (3-5 millimeters) and cut transverse strips, which will catch on the ground. They are bent in the middle at an angle of 120 degrees. The transverse strips are then welded to the main body at the same distance. On average, such hooks should be welded from 10 to 15, depending on the diameter of the wheel. In this regard, before starting work, you must prepare a drawing yourself or download it on the Internet.
Such lugs for a motor cultivator can be made in a few days. In the case when the existing tiller has ordinary metal and smooth wheels, such a device will turn it into a real SUV.
Types of lugs for tillers
The modern market is oversaturated with both the tillers themselves and the weights for them. The lugs are no exception.
Motoblock lugs are classified according to the following criteria:
- universal. suitable for any modification of tillers and differ in size characteristics;
- special. their dimensions (diameter and width) are adapted to a specific cultivator model;
In addition, structurally lugs are divided into those that:
- for installation require removal of the main wheel. Such lugs are attached to the cultivator axis with special clamps. They look like full-fledged iron wheels for a tiller;
- are put on from the outside of the tire and do not need to be attached to the tiller axle.
The tiller of this brand is a heavy professional equipment and can be fitted with the best available attachments. In order for the Zubr to go into the ground perfectly, it needs lugs. The standard fixtures that fit it have a 200mm bar and a 700mm height. Wheels of this width are suitable only for heavy tillers and, in addition to the Zubr JRQ78 and 79, they also fit the Centaur 1070D, Aurora 101 and Aurora 81, Zirka LX1080D and 1090. In the factory version, the distance between the hooks is 14.5 cm. The wheel hub has a diameter of 60 mm. Tiller is dressed with an additional hub.
What are tiller lugs for??
Tiller lugs are special devices that outwardly resemble ordinary metal wheels, supplemented with studded pads. The name itself indicates their main functional purpose. to guarantee perfect adhesion between the cultivator and the underlying surface. the soil. Thanks to these devices, the tiller can move freely on any terrain, regardless of weather conditions.
In addition, the lugs to the tiller also perform other functions:
- contribute to better soil cultivation;
- simplify the transportation of both the tiller itself and the loaded trailer connected to it off-road or on loose soils;
- increasing the weight of the unit, provide it with good balance and stability in space;
- allow the use of other attachment adapters, for example, for seedbed cultivation.