Filling a fishing line into an automatic grass trimmer reel
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer spool
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It has a base with a bobbin on which a strand of cord is wound. A total of 3 types of heads are distinguished:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (trimmer line) manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. Using this head is easy and comfortable. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches the maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. Thus, the cord advances due to the centrifugal force, and the owner of the device has only to cut it with a knife.
- Automatic. The line for the trimmer is fed after reducing the engine speed. Such a head is useful in cases where there is a need to carry out prolonged work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid deterioration of the cord.
Now, in order to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer reel, you should pay attention to the choice of the cord.
To easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is worth deciding what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the filament that is inserted in the head, the more difficult the tasks it can perform. It should be noted that often a universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You, in turn, can determine the size using the following methods:
- read the information in the manufacturer’s manual;
- Check the suitability of the line yourself by trying to insert it into the bobbin hole;
- Examine the bobbin to see if there is information about the diameter that can be used.
Selection of fishing line for threading in the grass trimmer reel can be made by the type of engine. For example, excessively thick thread can affect the increase in rotational resistance. This will increase the load on the motor, which will certainly affect the quality and durability of its further operation.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this you need to consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts, a trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal. If you can’t get that kind of thread, you can use 1.6 mm cord. A 2 mm filament, in turn, is used for engines with a power of more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that the 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If the gasoline device has a straight shaft, you should use a 2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest lines are installed exclusively on devices, the power of which is equal or more than 1.3 kW.
Last but not least, the type of line cross-section is an important factor. When selecting it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several in-demand cross-sectional options:
- Twisted. has a low safety margin and is therefore only suitable for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work in overgrown areas of weeds;
- Round is the most common cross section. These lines handle fresh grass well, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cords are used for turf work because of their low breaking strength.
The strongest and most versatile cord is a two-piece trimmer line with a circular cross-section, with a core inside. It is this thread that is suitable for carrying out most of the work. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as a cord carries a danger to others.
How to choose a line for a trimmer. length, diameter, limitations
For any electric or gasoline-powered grass trimmer, you can use lines from a variety of manufacturers. Nevertheless, the optimal option remains the consumable material of the same brand as the tool. It is believed that in this case, it will benefit the longevity of work and even reduce consumption.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for grass trimmers. Such sharpening is inefficient and dangerous. Cables can injure not only the trimmer but also other people.
As for the length, it is worth counting on the anticipated frequency of use of the grass trimmer. The more often, the more you should stock up on consumables. Information about the possible diameter of the line will be found on the body of the grass trimmer reel. There will most likely be a range. Thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the right option, taking into account the peculiarities of the area to be trimmed. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
What’s needed to replace the cord
If you use the grass trimmer regularly to cut the grass, the discs will blunt, but they can be sharpened and continue to be used. the line for the trimmer in the spool tends to run out, so there is a need to refill a new one, for which you need to determine the type of head and prepare the cord of the required thickness and length.
So, the mowing head is a cylindrical body, which accommodates a bobbin with a fishing line. Such a detail is present both on electric trimmers, and on petrol mowers of any brand, whether Bosch, Makita, STIHL or other brand. There are three types of mowing heads, depending on how you thread and feed the lines.
- The principle of operation of the automatic group heads is that they feed the line for the trimmer by themselves, when the mower reduces the engine rpm. This type is more convenient for larger areas, but has the disadvantage of high cord consumption.
- Semi-automatic mowing heads are simple to operate: automatic line feed is performed at maximum engine speed. To remove the cord lock, you need to gently tap the tool on the ground, after which the unlocked filament extends from the spool. Cutting it to the required length with a knife attached to the blade guard.
- Grass trimmers with manual filament feed need to be turned off beforehand, and then pull out the line for the trimmer yourself.
Just a side note! The most convenient and best-priced are semi-automatic cord reels.
Reels for electric and gasoline-powered scythes can be with one or two line tendrils. The first are used for trimming low grassy growth, the second. for mowing tall grass and small bushes.
How to wind on a trimmer line on a Patriot grass trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner faces the problem of line replacement when using a grass trimmer. Despite the fact that changing the line for the trimmer is very easy, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a fishing line takes no more than five minutes with the right training. you just need to practice it all the time. In this article we’ll look at how to change a line on a Patriot trimmer.
Removing and disassembling the bobbin
The trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer. Disassembly method depends on how the mowing head is attached. First option:
- To remove the cover, which covers the inside of the head, press the latches on both sides of the cover.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the bobbin case. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- Removing the bobbin, in the center of the housing you will see a screw. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the reducer from the shaft.
In the second option, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal bar is inserted. A brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head casing and start twisting it. This should be done in a clockwise direction, i.e. к. The thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the fishing line on the spool
Removing the reel from the grass trimmer
Now we’re going to take a look at removing the spool from different types of grass trimmer:
- Conveyor with a bottom-mounted motor has two buttons on each side. With a single push of two buttons, you will need to detach one part of the dressing from the other. At the same time as the first half should be removed and the inner part, on which the core is wound.
Important! In carrying out the manipulation described above, you must be extremely careful so that the internal spring does not accidentally fly out and rub. This small part is a very important “link” that helps wind the line on the roller.
- The body of the electric and gasoline conveyor with the bent metal rod should be grasped with one hand and the other hand should be used to move the electronic thumbturn counterclockwise. This small part connects the reel to the grass trimmer bar. After removing the wing nut you will need to take off the entire spool holding the internal spring with your fingers.
- At the electric and ashless conveyor with a straight rodnu find under the bobbin notch, put it in, such as a screwdriver, and slowly rotate it until the tool goes deep and the roller is fully locked. Next, you should twist the spool slowly clockwise (because of the left thread) and remove it from the conveyor. Then you need to disassemble the reel, assembled with latches or twisted into a thumbscrew. If you have a roller on the latches, then you need to push on the sides of the lock to release the two parts of the part. After that you need to unscrew the wingtips.
Winding the line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer spool is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Having decided on the length of the cord, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start with the center curb that divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription. It indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it in the opposite direction.
- Wash out the consumable material carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After completing the cord laying, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the other end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the trimmer line, trim the ends. Don’t forget to leave an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Place the threaded bobbin on the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the exit holes of the head to place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. Once you’ve done this, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Features of trimmer application
Grass trimmer mowing with fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a grass trimmer exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the grass trimmer fishing line tucked into the grass trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new one.
The consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass you mow, and the more often it is trimmed with your grass trimmer, the more you use up your trimmer line. And, accordingly, the sooner it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the line winding on the reel is very important for grass trimmer. In order for the device to function properly, it is very important that a new line for the trimmer be wound correctly on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
What kind of fishing line to choose for your trimmer
Before you stock up on this material to put in your grass trimmer, you need to decide on a choice. After all, the usual so-called round line for the trimmer is not the only type that exists. So how to choose the right one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Choosing by type. A line for trimmer with a round section is the most common. It will fit all spools with very few exceptions. This type of consumable material is suitable for mowing fresh, juicy grass. But to mow so-called dead grass, this kind of material can no longer cope. It is pointless to even mention attempts to mow bushes with this line.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. They are usually made “star” or “square”. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and the key difference between these threads.
Precisely because of this feature, these kinds of threads are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-edged threads are not without disadvantages, the main of which are fast wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the above-mentioned types of lines, there are other interesting and common varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines with a metal wire stretched inside them. This type of line is often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine with more than one and a half horsepower.
Yarns with metallic core may be of round cross-section as well as with sharp edges. Regardless of the section type, these types of filaments are the best way to overcome hard to mow plants. This type of threads can easily cut not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wire inside compare favorably to other types of consumables because of their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this peculiarity has more than a noticeable influence on the price of this type. The cost of filaments with a core is much higher than other types of filaments.
over, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable. A filament with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is good for mowing young grass. The larger the diameter of the line, the drier and rougher the weeds it can handle.
When choosing a line by thickness, there is a “but”. It is important not only to evaluate the material’s capabilities, but also to take into account the features of the grass trimmer. It is necessary to look in the user’s manual, which comes with the tool, and find information about the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread can lead to tool failure. Using too thick a thread will entail overloading the motor of the device. And using too thin a thread will multiply the wear and tear of the torque mechanism.
That’s why the choice of consumable material should be approached with no less responsibility than its threading in the grass trimmer. When a suitable line for the trimmer is found and purchased, you can proceed to consider ways of winding it on the reel.
How the line head works on a brushcutter why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, brushcutters differ in design, not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the handheld head. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool, which is planted on the splines, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the reel, which presses it to the slits in the structure of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually between 1 and 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slots. At the same time the line for the trimmer is reeled off the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the desired amount of line, release the pressure, and continue mowing
The advantage of a circular saw is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is the moment most owners of special tools have difficulty.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
The measured and careful removal of the bobbin from the grass trimmer reel allows you to proceed directly to the winding of the fishing line. Design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions in this operation, as well as determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of lines and how they are threaded:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and operators notice the ease of using and threading a single mast. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of line to be threaded varies from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted in the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is made in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have marks on the outside of the body in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a loose end 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is decisive when retrieving the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. The left end is put through the working hole of the spool and the head is assembled.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of lines for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single-groove and double-groove spools, but there are operating problems with careless spooling into a twin-groove. Because of the possibility of intertwining of the neighboring lines of the tool the situation may occur that once the working strands are worn out the new ones cannot be taken out.
Regardless of the number of lines, a trimmer line of 1 to 3 m in length is used for filling.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding during walking will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the bobbin. After the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, the loose ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check for operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer for grass, the blade mounted on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and secure the ends in the head and the winding operation is performed by the tool itself when turning on the work mode. Incorrect winding of lines in a grass trimmer with such a head is almost impossible, since the spool independently determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of an automatic grass trimmer head include easy line threading, but the disadvantages are frequent breakage of the mechanism due to the complexity of design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
Measured and tidy removal of the bobbin from the grasshopper reel allows you to switch directly to winding the line. The design of the head, the number and position of the bits that hold it in place, and the methods used, determine the sequence of operations. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of fishing line tendrils and methods of threading it:
Single Tip Grass Trimmer Reel
Many owners and experts note the ease of operation and threading a single moustache reel. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the thread to be spooled in can vary from 2 to 5 meters. In the head, the end of the line is inserted in a special technological groove or hole, and winding is done in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have marks on the outside of the body in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave the free end 15-30 cm to strengthen the centrifugal force, which is the determining factor in the extraction of trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the leftover end through the working hole in the reel and make the head assembly.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After taking the bobbin out of the reel body, determine the number of lines to be wound (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single-groove and double-groove spools, but there are operating problems with careless spooling into a double-groove. Because of the possibility of intertwining of the neighboring lines of the tool, it may be impossible to retrieve the new ones after the working rods have worn out.
Regardless of the number of grooves, a trimmer line of length from 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding needs to be performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding during the motion will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the reel. After the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel the free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its performance. No need to worry if the ends of the two tendrils are too different in size, because when starting the grass trimmer, the blade mounted on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and lock the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on in operating mode. Incorrect winding of lines in grass trimmer with this head is almost impossible, since the spool independently determines the position of tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of filling the line, and the disadvantages. frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the grass trimmer reel and lawnmower
In order not to choose the right fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate jigs.
If the information on the spool about what diameter line for the trimmer can be tucked, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the jig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but they are not all applicable. Consider both methods in detail, and already depending on what models brushcutter and trimmer you use, decide for yourself which option is suitable.
This is interesting! The principle of how to twist the line for a trimmer on the lead of a brushcutter is appropriate not only for standalone gasoline-powered units, but also for electric trimmers.
Block: 5/8 | Number of characters: 933
Advantages of a trimmer head
Metal discs are used on trimmers along with heads. Compared to these, cutting elements with a fishing line have a number of advantages:
- no need to sharpen consumables
- if stones or other hard objects hit the line for trimmer just tear, not injuring people around you and the mower
- Thread breaks do not negatively affect trimmer gears and motors.
- Apparatuses with heads clean the grass better than their metal counterparts.
Working with such equipment as grass trimmers requires caution and care. No matter whether you’re a beginner or an experienced trimmer, safety precautions during work are a must. It happens that confident trimmers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes, and suffer serious injuries. That’s why it’s important when working with the machine
- Close the reel cover with all snaps.
- Do not wind more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After refueling the coil, be sure to check the tool’s operation before mowing.
- Choose a quality material that fits the particular trimmer.
No need to try to mow rough grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear safety glasses and proper footwear.