Fills A Candle On A Chainsaw
Role of the spark plug
A spark plug in a Stihl chain engine or any engine is a simple device. Each time the flywheel of the engine completes a revolution, a magnet attached to it induces an electric current in the static magnet. This current generates a spark across the electrodes of the plug. The spark ignites the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber, and this drives the piston, making the engine run. If the electrodes of the plug are far apart or covered with oil, carbon deposits, the spark is intermittent or weak, resulting in incomplete combustion and poor engine performance.
Avoid using ethanol fuels
When the Stihl chainsaw is poured, one can suspect the fault of poor-quality fuel. Regardless of the condition of the plug after 100 hours of operation, Stihl recommends replacing it with a new one. Use a resistor type plug and check the manual for your Stihl chainsaw model by going to the page for recommended replacements. If the plug needs to be replaced because it is badly worn, it may be due to the use of gasoline with ethanol.
Ethanol burns differently than gasoline and can cause engine overheating. One of the symptoms of this is worn out electrodes, and then the flooding of the candle. Stihl recommends ethanol-free 89 octane gasoline. In no case should gasoline contain more than 10% ethanol.
Filling a candle on a chainsaw. solving the problem
The spark plug is an integral part of any internal combustion engine, providing the energy needed to ignite the fuel. If it is corroded, dirty, worn, or otherwise damaged, the engine will or will not start and will not perform well. A poorly functioning motor in a Stihl chain saw can mean more work for the operator and can be dangerous. Hence, Stihl recommends replacing the spark plug every 100 hours of operation.
Why is pouring a candle on a chainsaw?
When pouring a candle on a chainsaw, you must immediately conduct a thorough check of the tool.
- Checking the plug. Part of regular maintenance for a Stihl chain saw is to remove the plug and inspect it (recommended every 10-15 hours of operation.) If the engine is running normally, the outer electrode is likely to be covered with light brown deposits. The operator must check the electrode gap with a special tool. If the engine runs normally, the problem is in the condition of the plug. Thick black deposits indicate that the fuel / air mixture is not balanced. In other words, there is not enough air in the mixture. On the other hand, wide slits or corroded electrodes are indicative of a lean mixture. Oil on the plug indicates a leak.
- Clean or replace? If the fork is covered with light brown deposits and the clearance is correct, the operator does not need to do anything with the fork. It is enough to put it back in place, and the chainsaw should continue to work normally. If it is covered with black deposits or oil, remove this layer with sandpaper. If necessary, adjust the gap with pliers. One of the conditions indicating the need for replacement is electrode wear. If the engine stalls, you need to check it with a spark plug tester and replace it if the spark is not strong or appears every time.
How to quickly fix the problem?
It is important to know why he is pouring a candle on a chainsaw and what can be done in this case. Stihl saws have a throttle to facilitate cold starts, but the operator must use it correctly. When it closes the throttle, the carburetor sprays additional fuel into the combustion chamber. If the engine does not start at the first three or four thrust, the fuel and air mixture becomes unbalanced. And if you continue to pull the starter when the throttle is closed, a large amount of fuel ignites and the spark plug is flooded.
You can just wait for the fuel to drain, but there is a quick way to clean.
- Place the chain saw on a level surface and make sure the circuit breaker is activated. Pull out the wire from the spark plug and remove the plug with a wrench. Check the electrodes and wipe them dry with a rag if full of fuel.
- Unscrew the air filter cover and remove the air filter. Clean it up if it’s dirty.
- Set the main control lever to the minimum throttle position or open position. Pull the starting rope five or six times.
- Install the air filter, spark plug, and connect the spark plug wire. Leave the throttle open and pull the starter cord several times. The chain saw should start.
Things you will need to work on your Stihl saw:
- Candle wrench;
Risks of using low-quality fuel
Various low-octane gasolines and fuel surrogates contain alcohol components that take longer to fully burn. The efficiency of using such fuel is questionable, since there are a number of factors that confirm inefficient operation and forced engine wear.
The oiling of the spark plug is facilitated by the use of heat-resistant engine oils for 4-stroke engines, high wear of the compression rings or the entire piston group as a whole.
Consequences of engine operation with unadjusted fuel equipment
The traction characteristics of the engine and the duration of its resource depend on the composition of the mixture.
- Working on a lean mixture initiates a drop in power, overheating of the cylinder and intense wear of loaded parts and units of the chainsaw.
- Working with a rich mixture is no less dangerous. The malfunction is manifested by an increase in the time to reach operating speed, increased fuel consumption, smoke from the muffler.
- There is also an intensive formation of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, loss of mobility of the piston rings.
Algorithm for determining the causes of poor mixture formation
In any case, a wet candle on a chainsaw indicates a pronounced imbalance in the composition of the air-fuel emulsion. Already at a fuel-to-air ratio of 1:14, the conditions for sparking deteriorate, the lack of air prevents the normal combustion of the fuel-air emulsion compressed in the combustion chamber.
The main reasons for the over-enrichment of the mixture are in most cases standard:
- Clogged air intake filter;
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment;
- Interruptions in the ignition system;
- Also, the poor quality of gasoline and a violation of the starting sequence of the power unit are not excluded.
In the first case, the problem is solved by bringing the air intake device into serviceable condition. It is recommended that a paper filter that has exhausted its resource be blown out with a reverse air flow, at best, replaced. For other types of filter cleaning, see the enclosed operating instructions.
- The carburetor is adjusted with the engine warmed up to operating temperature. The power unit is brought to the optimal mode by rotating the adjusting screws for the amount and quality of the mixture. The success of the work is determined by knowledge of the design of the fuel supply system, the interaction of all components.
- In particular, the increased complexity of adjusting carburetors with built-in compensators and other automatic controls. Such equipment is configured using special equipment, which is completed with service and repair centers.
If the engine does not lend itself to tuning, the reason for the excess fuel in the emulsion may be a leakage of the valve or a hanging of the carburetor float itself.
The end result of the work performed:
- Fast set of revolutions;
- Stable idle operation;
- Recovery of traction parameters;
- Lack of increased smoke and detonation noise.
Chainsaw wet candle: why and what to do
Household and professional chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke internal combustion engines that are simple in design and reliable in operation. A large proportion of drive failures are due to fuel system malfunctions. Why is pouring a candle on a chainsaw and how to fix this malfunction with your own hands?
Components for the entire range of chainsaw power units operate on a precisely metered mixture of fuel and special engine oil intended for operation of two-stroke engines.
In the carburetor, fuel and air are mixed in a ratio of 1:16, after which the air-gasoline emulsion is fed into the combustion chamber.
Criteria for the selection and operation of spark plugs
The simplest indicator of the mixture quality is the porcelain insulator of the spark plug center electrode. Any shade of brown indicates normal mix quality, white or smoked insulator indicates poor or over-enriched emulsion composition.
The heat number of the plug in use must meet the stated requirements.
- The cause of oiling can be the so-called "cold" candle, which can be visually identified by the short insulator. Interruptions in sparking are possible if the gap is incorrectly adjusted or due to natural burnout of the contacts.
- The recommended distance between the contacts of the candle is indicated in the instructions, in the absence of information, you can focus on the standard value of 0.7-1 mm. With a smaller gap, the efficiency of ignition of the fuel-air emulsion decreases, with an increased gap, interruptions in sparking are possible.
- It is not recommended to burn a damp or oily candle in an open flame due to the risk of cracking and premature failure.
Re-enrichment of the mixture in the combustion chamber of a technically sound chainsaw is eliminated by purging the engine. To do this, just unscrew the spark plug and turn the crankshaft several times with a manual starter.
Doesn’t develop momentum
If the saw does not maintain idle speed, then the following may have happened:
- Clogged filter;
- Violation of the ignition system;
- The carburetor has deteriorated;
- Motor parts are deformed.
For self-repair, you need to follow these steps:
- Flush or replace the fuel hose.
- Clean filter.
- Check the quality of gasoline and oil.
- Check the operation of the carburetor and spark plugs.
When the Stihl chainsaws are repaired, they will work correctly.
If the saw is not gaining momentum, then this could lead to:
- Defective engine;
- Cylinder wear;
- Failure of piston rings;
- Broken spark plug;
- Coil malfunction;
- Unbalanced carburetor screws.
If, after testing, no defects are found, then check the carburetor.
If the chainsaw does not start, then the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition and engine start unit. If, when measuring the gap between the module and the flywheel, no deviations are found, then the spark plug should be checked. It is pulled out of the shaft and the gap is measured. If fuel enters the combustion chamber, and there are no breakdowns in the ignition system, then the carburetor is faulty.
How to set the ignition
It is necessary to set the ignition on the chainsaw. The ignition is adjusted as follows:
- Unscrew the candle and evaluate its appearance;
- Clarify the distance between the magnets and the coil (up to 0.2 mm);
- Check spark.
The chainsaw must be used according to the operating instructions, then it will last a long time and will not fail. All possible malfunctions of the Stihl chainsaw can be identified and eliminated by yourself. Consider the main problems that may arise in the components and design of the device, and how to repair the Stihl 180 chainsaw with your own hands.
Repair and replacement of the oil pump
Consider how to change the oil pump. If the element leaks, the gasket between the two parts should be renewed. If this part of the oil pump is not damaged, then it must be wiped and put back. Now they check the hose. There should be no cracks on it. If the hose is damaged, replace it. Then the outlet channels are cleaned with a compressor.
Carburetor repair and adjustment
The carburetor is adjusted on a warm engine. If the engine fails to tune, the carburetor stuck may cause excess gasoline in the mixture. To remove the part, it is necessary to unscrew the fastening nuts, disconnect the ignition and the rod from the engine control lever. Then the lever is removed. Then you can remove the filter and carburetor.
The muffler is secured with two nuts. You need to untwist them and pull the muffler towards you. Then the coil screws are unscrewed and dismantled. On the Stihl saw, the carburetor has 1 idle adjustment screw. If the idle speed is violated, then the carburetor needs repair. This is a complex process and difficult to do on your own. Contact a repair shop.
Ignition system failure
Perhaps this is one of the most difficult problems that will need to be overcome for the further use of the chainsaw. There may also be several reasons for a malfunction.
As a rule, during the first start of the chainsaw, inexperienced men skip the "pop" with the air damper closed and continue to pull the starter. Because of this, a large amount of fuel accumulates in the combustion chamber, but the air is critically short. The candle is filled with excess gasoline and there can be no question of any spark.
Due to the heavy contamination of the paper filter of the chainsaw, sufficient oxygen does not enter the fuel chamber. The fuel mixture has no time to ignite and gasoline fills the spark plug. If the filter has already exhausted its resource (this will be noticeable by its appearance), then it must be replaced. If you don’t have a new filter at hand, but you still need to work, then you can try to blow the filter with a reverse air flow.
Chainsaws from different brands and models differ from each other. To clean or change the filter, it will be useful to first look at the instruction manual. Well, or look there if you cannot remove the filter without prompts.
Failure to adjust the carburetor
Often the candle on the chainsaw is flooded due to improper operation of the carburetor. For greater clarity, we recommend that you look at this
If this is your first time setting up your carburetor yourself, pay attention to the following factors:
- The presence of built-in expansion joints and other automatic control elements makes adjustment impossible without special equipment. In this regard, you will have to contact a specialized service center.
- In the absence of the proper effect from adjusting the carburetor, the reason for the filling of the candle will be the float hanging or the lack of valve tightness.
For the most part, the gap on the spark plug of the chainsaw should be within 0.5. 1.2 millimeters (more accurate data should be reflected in the user manual). In order to check whether this is so, you must perform the following steps:
- Using a screwdriver or special keys, unscrew the bolts that fix the chainsaw cover.
- Having gained access to the flywheel and magnetic circuit, the clearance level is checked.
- If it does not correspond to the characteristics declared by the manufacturers, then using a special gasket or improvised means (a regular A4 sheet folded several times is perfect), the required distance is set.
Why pouring a candle on a chainsaw and what to do
One of the most common problems with chainsaws is candle flooding. At the same time, such situations are typical for various types of saws and it does not matter whether a beginner or a professional holds the tool in his hands. Of course, this should not be, because a spark cannot appear on a wet candle, therefore, the fuel mixture will not ignite.
Reasons why he pours a candle on a chainsaw and how to eliminate them
It is often the case that trying to start a new chain saw does not produce the desired result. In most cases, this is due to the fact that the fuel mixture does not ignite, but fills the candle on the chainsaw. This situation is not a product defect and can be corrected on its own. The saw is equipped with a two-stroke gasoline engine, the stable operation of which depends on a properly prepared mixture of fuel and engine oil. In the carburetor, the emulsion is enriched with air and enters the cylinder, where it should burn.
Why is pouring a candle in a chainsaw
There are several reasons for this situation. In most cases, they are associated with incorrect operation of the fuel system, less often. with a defect in the plug itself or malfunctions of the ignition system. The products are sold on sale with the factory settings of the elements. Therefore, it is not worthwhile to immediately adjust the carburetor and ignition system. Most likely, the user did not read the instructions or did not follow its requirements.
The manufacturer recommends closing the air damper when starting the chainsaw. But this does not mean that the engine will work in this state. The recoil starter rotation must be stopped when the first exhaust appears. After that, the flap must be opened. If you do not do this and continue to turn the starter, it will fill the candle, and the unburned mixture will collect in the crankcase.
A candle on a chainsaw can be flooded even after several years of good work. In this case, the reason lies in the failure of the control membrane of the fuel chamber. Poor-quality material of the part with prolonged contact with gasoline loses its elasticity and the needle, which is responsible for the fuel supply, remains in the open position.
During the operation of the tool, vibrations occur, which lead to a change in the settings. Because of this, a highly enriched mixture is obtained, which does not completely burn out and partially settles on the spark plug electrodes. This leads to malfunctions in the engine, and then to its stop.
The consequences of flooding
The element responsible for igniting the fuel mixture is a spark plug. It consists of a body and a central electrode. A side electrode is welded to the "skirt" of the part, which is electrically connected to the "mass" of the car. Due to the presence of a ceramic insulator, the electrodes are not in contact with each other. The high voltage applied to the plug leads to the breakdown of the air gap. A spark jumps between them.
The main condition for sparking is the absence of an electrical bridge between the electrodes. If the spark plug is wet, a circuit with low resistance is created. This leads to a sharp drop in voltage due to its leakage to the case.
If the chainsaw does not start after a long rotation of the manual starter, then there is a high probability of a candle flooding. Wipe a wet candle with a clean cloth and blow it with air. It is not recommended to ignite it on a fire, because. This leads to the formation of microcracks on the insulator. After cleaning, check the performance of the element. If there is a spark, then it is installed in place and the engine is started. In the event that there is no spark on the candle, then it is replaced with a workable.
What to do
If the chainsaw engine does not start, and there are traces of fuel and oil on the spark plug electrodes, it is necessary to establish the reason for their appearance. This will determine what needs to be done to eliminate it. If an overflow of fuel occurs when the unit is started, then it is necessary to remove the fuel mixture accumulated in the engine crankcase. To do this, turn out the candle, turn the chainsaw over with the cylinder down and turn the crankshaft with a manual starter. Such manipulations must be done at least 25-30 times.
After that, the removed part is installed in place and the engine is started in accordance with the operating instructions. If interruptions occur during the operation of the unit, then this indicates a defect in the spark plug. Over time, the electrodes of the sparking device burn out, resulting in an increase in the gap between them. This results in a weak spark that cannot ignite the fuel.
The gap is adjusted using a feeler gauge. For two-stroke engines, the distance between the electrodes should be 0.7-0.9 mm. Splashing of contacts can occur due to an overly enriched mixture. This leads to a violation of the adjustment of the carburetor or a clogged air filter.
The device is set up on a warm engine. By rotating the screws, the maximum possible stable speed is achieved. If the owner of the unit did not adjust the carburetor, then it is worth contacting a specialist.
Chainsaw spark plug: what gap and how to choose?
A chainsaw consists of many components that are important for the functioning, including a spark plug. This small part needs to be replaced periodically. You can replace it yourself. Usually, for this it is enough to use the universal instructions that are suitable for all models of the power unit. But before looking for instructions, you will have to purchase a new spare part. Not sure which chainsaw plug to choose? This and other information is available in this article.
Candle inspection, problem identification
Before installing a new plug, make sure that the problem with the appliance is related to this particular part. First, take a look at the thermal insulation cone and electrodes. Their appearance will tell you a lot about the operation of the engine and the quality indicator of the fuel mixture.
If you changed the spark plug recently, inspect the above units for serviceability, check if the spark plug gap on the chainsaw is set correctly. A careful examination of the main components of the unit will allow you to extend the operating life of the tool and give you the opportunity to save personal funds.
You may have chosen the wrong plug for your saw when you last replaced it. If the body of this part is covered with a dark oily layer, this indicates that the plug is too cold for your tool (not suitable for the engine).
Dark carbon, but dry, may indicate a cold plug that is not suitable for your saw’s engine. The same "symptom" appears during intensive use of the device at idle speed or at low speed in the operating mode.
And how to understand that the selected spark plug for the chainsaw engine is too hot? The cone of the part will be dry, almost white, without a hint of traces of oil (only sometimes traces of melting can be noticeable). This may also indicate that the candle was installed incorrectly.
If the candle is selected correctly (and installed also correctly), there will be no traces of melting or carbon deposits on its cone. Plaque brown or gray (light shades) can be considered the norm, which indicates that this node functions without problems.
Varieties of candles
There is no such thing as universal candles. They differ among themselves in a number of parameters:
- Body geometry;
- Thread diameter;
- Thread length (shirt length, as the craftsmen call it).
There are also concepts such as "warm" and "cold" candle. A high glow number indicates that the plug is cold (it does not absorb the heat from the combustion chamber as efficiently), a low glow number indicates that the plug is hot.
When replacing a candle, purchasing a new spare part, the easiest way is to look for one that corresponds to the parameters declared by the manufacturer (these parameters are indicated in the instructions that accompany the tool). If for some reason you do not have access to the data, conduct a visual inspection of the candle, remove the parameters, including the number (glow) indicated on it.
At the moment on the modern market you can find candles produced under the brand name Champion, Stihl, Brisk, Bosch, Oregon, NGK, there are also certain options that are suitable for models released by Partner, Husqvarna, Stig, AL-KO, Oleo-mac , Wolf Garten, Mc Culloch, etc. In doing so, do not forget that you need to know the gap on the chainsaw plug.
To remove the required parameters, you need to dismantle this element. It is easy to unscrew it using a spark plug wrench, which is standard part of the power unit configuration.
What is a spark plug and why change it?
The part itself is responsible for igniting the air-fuel mixture. It is necessary to change the plug when there are problems with the motor (it works, but is unstable), this procedure is necessary even when the tool just stops starting.
It is also recommended that you replace the plugs for Husqvarna chainsaws and other brands of powertrains every 100 hours of operation. This is a consumable spare part that wears out due to:
- Low quality oil applications (electrons, side and center, will be covered with black carbon);
- A poorly tuned carburetor or a broken starting system (we will fill the candle with a fuel mixture because of this);
- The carburetor is out of order (fuel will not flow to the spark plug, ignition will not cause a problematic start of the tool’s engine).
How to adjust spark plug gap?
Ideally, this is done using a template that you can choose from:
- Make it yourself using dense plastic.
Ideally, the gap between the electrodes should be about 0.5 mm. Try to fix the fasteners tightly before removing the template, but do not overdo it so as not to inadvertently break the fragile parts located with this assembly.
How to clean candles?
Pay attention to cleaning the spark plug (an important step in tool maintenance, as well as the gap correction). With intensive use of the unit, this procedure is carried out weekly. Otherwise, it is enough twice a year (before the start of winter operation and summer season).
Partner chainsaw plugs, like Champion plugs, parts of other models and brands of tools, are ideally cleaned chemically. They are degreased with a solvent or acetone, and then dried (in the summer in the sun, and alternatively on a stove burner). Then the candle is treated with a 20% solution of ammonium acetate (hot liquid). If necessary, clean the candle using a nylon or metal brush. Finally, the part is washed and dried.