Grass Trimmer Care And Maintenance Rules
Manual mowers will help to cope with any vegetation without overstressing the user, but a careless attitude can quickly disable any tool, including the highest quality. Proper care of the trimmer will extend its life and save the money of the owner who does not need to pay for the maintenance and repair of the device. Such simple actions can be done even by people with minimal technical knowledge. How to care for this garden tool. in all details in the material below.
Types and features of grass trimmers
Lawn mowers are divided into two main groups: gasoline and electric. The first type works on liquid fuel (pure gasoline or its mixture with lubricant), the second. on electricity, from the mains or battery.
Petrol Hand Mowers
Principle of operation of a Lawn Mower. before starting work, fuel is poured into its fuel tank, which enters the engine in small portions, where it burns, and the resulting hot gas pushes the pistons in the cylinders. As a result, the engine crankshaft rotates, this movement is transmitted to the spindle of the working head, where the reel with fishing line or the nozzle-disk (knife with two or more blades) is located.
Externally Lawn Mower looks so. the engine and the cutting part are located at opposite ends of a long rod and are connected using a rigid or flexible shaft. Above the mount for the coil / nozzle is a gearbox, the task of which is to transfer the spindle less revolutions per unit time than the crankshaft of the motor makes. The buttons and control levers are located on the handle connected to the engine by a flexible cable.
Management Features. a starter is used to start in the gas scythes, to adjust the speed. a gas trigger that opens or closes the carburetor damper, which causes more or less fuel to enter the engine. You can stop the operation by pressing the “Stop” button, which opens the circuit.
On a note! Most often, the trimmer head, on which the fishing line, knives or discs are located, is attached to the rod with a screw. On the side, from the side of the mower, the cutting element is fenced with a protective casing.
Hand Mowers Electric Group
Electric trimmers are arranged similarly, only they do not need a fuel tank, and the control buttons on the handle are much smaller. The engine may be above, like a brushcutter, or below directly above the head. In the latter version, there is no gearbox. here the drive and the cutting nozzle are connected directly. The rods of electric trimmers are solid or collapsible, and in some models. telescopic for convenient and quick length adjustment.
When powered from the mains, the mower is plugged into a power outlet or extension cord (a cable leaves the top of the engine). Accumulator models work from batteries which are inserted into special nests.
How to care for trimmers
Each type of device has its own characteristics, which must be taken into account during operation and storage. But some rules apply in all cases.
These tips should be followed by users of any lawn mower. gasoline and electric.
- Store the device in a dry room.
- It is better to hang it on the wall, on a special mount.
- After each use, the machine must be cleaned of dirt and mowed grass, inspected for damage and wiped with a soft cloth.
- Before work, you need to check whether the bolts that fasten the parts of the unit, especially the fasteners of the working head, are tightened tightly.
- It is best to wash the grass juice from the reel immediately after mowing.
- It is necessary to monitor the amount of fishing line and the condition of the nozzles made of metal or plastic. The fishing line should be of a suitable diameter (for the bobbin used and the type of thicket). Blades of discs and knives need to be sharpened, and double-sided nozzles should be turned over for uniform grinding of teeth.
On a note! Grass is often wound around the reel, rod and gearbox. this slows down the rotation of the spindle and creates an excessive load on the engine. Long stems and leaves should be removed from the trimmer immediately after mowing or during breaks.
The turns of the cord on the bobbin should be uniform, without overlaps. The fishing line must be wound in the right direction and in the recommended amount. There are marks on the reel: arrows to indicate directions and risks to indicate boundaries.
Video: Grass Trimmer Care And Maintenance Rules
Large shrubs, trees, fences and other solid obstacles should be cut around the perimeter, while the trimmer must be turned with a casing to the obstacle. Otherwise, the consumption of fishing line will increase, and the blades become dull very quickly.
Features of petrol trimmer care
Powerful, designed for long continuous operation of the brushcutter require special attention. Doing it yourself with a do-it-yourself trimmer at first may seem like a daunting task, but most buyers quickly get used to following the recommendations listed below and rarely turn to service specialists. The care requirements are as follows.
- Gasoline for the engine must be clean, with an octane rating of at least 92. The fuel density is 750-770 kg per cubic meter.
- Two-stroke engines are charged with a mixture of fuel and high quality oil in the proportions indicated in the trimmer instruction manual. Most often, per liter of gasoline accounts for 20, 25 or 40 ml of grease. The best oils are produced by manufacturers of gardening equipment themselves. Calm, Husqvarna and other brands.
- When working with a four-stroke engine, fuel and oil are poured into different tanks. Both containers should be filled to the upper mark.
- A sponge gasoline filter needs to be cleaned about every 10 hours of operation: dirt, particles of mowed grass and shrubs bark get into it. It must be ensured that it is saturated with oil. If cleaning fails, replace the filter with a new one.
- Remove carbon deposits from spark plugs and engine silencers periodically.
The gears of the gearbox need to be lubricated, especially after replacing them, when the spindle is slowed down, and also when extraneous sounds appear during the operation of the trimmer. Manufacturers of motokos produce lubricants for their products, but universal ones, for example, lithol, can be used. How and what to process a specific model of the mower, it is better to learn from the documentation for the device. Most often, manufacturers advise lubricating the gearbox once a year / season, oil in many models is poured into the technological holes on the assembly.
Attention! Before lubrication, the gearbox must be cleaned of dirt.
Running the brushcutters
A new trimmer is run in to make sure it is working. The motor of the device must run in to fuel and oil, the parts must rub against each other, and the fasteners must pass a strength test. This process is as follows. it is necessary to start the tool and smoothly increase the speed, warming up the motor, but at first it needs to be protected from overheating. Then you should open the throttle no more than 2/3 of the possible stroke, and let the engine idle for the first few minutes and then test on soft grass. It is best to mow the lawn.
Attention! After a test run, the oil must be drained.
Preparing a gas trimmer for the working season
Before starting regular use of brushcutters, you need to:
- assemble the device according to the instructions;
- to prepare a new portion of the fuel mixture. for a two-stroke engine;
- pour fresh gasoline and oil to the desired level. for a four-stroke engine;
- change spark plugs, clean or replace air and gas filters;
- adjust the carburetor (according to the instructions for the device);
- check the condition of the fixing bolts and tighten them if necessary;
- grease the gearbox.
- check fishing line and heads.
Preparing for the winter
In order for the gas trimmer not to lose performance over a period of inactivity, you need to:
- inspect the apparatus for cracks, chips, bent parts;
- to disconnect a casing and the cutting head;
- drain the fuel from the tank and turn on the device in order to generate the remainder of gasoline;
- thoroughly wipe / rinse the bar, handle, casing;
- remove the coil or knife;
- clean the gearbox and add oil to it;
- inspect and rinse filters.
Then you should remove the spark plug, pour a little (20 ml) of engine oil into the hole and gently rotate the engine shaft with the starter several times to distribute the lubricant to the cylinders. After these manipulations, you need to insert the candle back, but do not screw it to the end. This procedure (except for topping up oil) must be carried out once a month, until the device is used.
Important! The engine will not corrode if the trimmer is stored in a dry place where the air temperature remains constant and does not drop below zero. If this is not possible, wrap the motor with cloth.
If the bar is disassembled, the joints must be greased (e.g. with lithol) to protect the metal from rust.
Features of caring for an electric trimmer
Electrical appliances are easier to maintain than gas mowers. Here are the basic rules to follow.
- Protect the device from moisture (rain, dew, puddles).
- Monitor the condition of wires and contacts, especially when using an extension cord. After work, the cables must be cleaned of grass and dirt, wiped dry and gently reeled up.
- Only plug the trimmer into a grounded power outlet.
- Try to keep the wire behind the back while mowing.
- Charge the battery in time (for battery devices).
- Work intermittently so that the motor does not overheat. The maximum mowing duration usually does not exceed 20 minutes; rest should last at least as long.
Before wintering you need to lubricate the gearbox, remove dirt, disassemble the rod, remove the battery. Places where metal parts are joined should be treated with preservation grease.
In the spring inspect the device, collect, check the integrity of the wires, the condition of the mounts, add oil to the gearbox, charge the battery and install it in place.
Electric braids are run in the engine like this. they turn it on and off several times and, if there are no problems, cut the lawn young grass. The first session. no longer than 5 minutes.
What to avoid
When operating a hand-held mower, both fueled by electricity and powered by electricity, it is very important not to allow certain actions that could damage the device or, worse, harm the life and health of the user. The list of invalid actions is usually prescribed in each instrument instruction, but for convenience and clarity, we present them in the table below.