Grass Trimmer Does Not Start Causes
In general, such a conversation should start with the fact that after buying a garden gasoline tool it would be better to first familiarize yourself with the instructions attached to it. Then many problems could have been avoided. But since this happened the gas trimmer does not start, then we must look for sources of inoperability. And in this article we will consider the main reasons why the trimmer does not start with the example of the Elitech T750 model, as well as describe general recommendations for the operation of such a tool.
Start with the banal! We will figure out how to properly start a gas trimmer. It may be that the reason lies precisely here.
First you need to bring the red toggle switch on the trimmer bar to position "I". This means turning on the power.
Then you need to switch the fuel supply lever on the carburetor and use the “suction” button of fuel (similar to a pipette, located on the carburetor). This is necessary to supply gasoline to the engine. Return the fuel supply lever to its original position. Finally, pull the starter handle toward you sharply. The trimmer should work. Try several times if the first time fails. If after such manipulations the situation has not changed and the gas trimmer does not start, then you should first examine it yourself before leading to the service center. There are two main reasons why a garden trimmer will not start:
- Violation of the power circuit.
- There is no fuel.
- Let’s start with the ignition problems. In most cases, it is caused by the need to change the spark plug in the engine. It is done like this:
- First of all, we must take care of security measures, make sure that the trimmer is turned off. We bring the above toggle switch to the "STOP" position.
- Then remove the rubber protection from the plug and the wiring terminal. Using a special candle key, we unscrew the spark plug and replace it.
- After that, we assemble the device and carry out the procedure for trimming the trimmer described above.
The second reason the garden tool doesn’t work is because the fuel has run out. On the Elinech T750, a fuel tank is located near the motor, but on most trimmers it is there. We unscrew the cap from the tank and fill it with gasoline (the most optimal option is the AI-92, it is inexpensive and does not clog the carburetor like the AI-76). Do not forget to add special engine oil to the tank, just 50 grams per gas tank is enough, without it the motor will begin to “sneeze” and will quickly become worthless. After we close the tank with a cap, wipe the surface of the trimmer and our hands with a dry cloth. We also do the above manipulations to turn on the garden tool.
If the gas trimmer does not start as before, then it makes sense to return it for repair. And the reason for this decision is simple – if you do not have the appropriate skills, repairing the equipment is almost impossible.
In order for the tool to serve as long as possible and there are no such malfunctions, you should, first of all, familiarize yourself with the instruction manual for the trimmer. Also, pay special attention to the operating time of the engine at the trimmer – take a short break every 15 minutes of operation and, finally, properly care for the tool, wipe it after work, lubricate it with graphite grease. Observing such simple rules, you can significantly increase the life of the tool and it is quite possible that you do not have to look for reasons why the gas trimmer will not start.
36,290 total views, 31 views today
Like any technique, trimmers are prone to various breakdowns. Often at the beginning of the summer season, owners of such an instrument complain that the trimmer does not start, and it takes a long time to look for the cause of the malfunction.
For those who have recently acquired a trimmer and are still at the “you” with this technique, information on why the trimmer does not start and what to do in this case will be useful. So, let’s find out what could be the reason for this.
Gas Trimmer Does Not Start – 10 Possible Causes
Before trying to independently adjust the tool, carefully read the manual for its operation. Perhaps the information contained in it will lead you to one or another thought. Otherwise, you will have to look for the cause of the malfunction by the selection method. It may be one of the following:
- The toggle switch on the bar is not translated to the "On" position. This is one of the elementary actions, but sometimes beginners forget to turn on the tool before starting it.
- Similar errors include the lack of fuel in the tank. If the fuel runs out, but you forgot about it, just fill the tank (usually located near the engine) with AI-92 gasoline.
- Lack, improper mixture or wrong proportion of engine oil. Ideally, not more than 50 g of oil should be added regularly. This will provide additional lubrication and will keep the engine of your trimmer in working condition. Also keep in mind that there are different types of oil (“synthetics”, “semi-synthetics”, “mineral water”) – they all affect the mechanism in different ways.
- If the trimmer does not start after winter, drain the remaining fuel in the gas tank and replace it with fresh fuel. This is especially true for small, low-power trimmers with small motors that are sensitive to poor-quality mixes. In addition, during the winter, sediment may form at the bottom of the gas tank, which causes problems with the operation of the device.
- Excessive pumping of fuel can also be one of the reasons that the trimmer stalled and does not start. When the air damper is closed, the candle is filled with fuel. It should be unscrewed and dried, and then inserted in its place and try to start the engine, holding the trigger of gas. It is advisable to check it beforehand for the presence of a spark between the electrodes. If there is no spark, the candle should be replaced.
- Problems with the filter. If your trimmer does not start well, remove the air filter and run the tool without it. If everything worked out – the filter should be replaced with a new one. As an option, thoroughly clean and blow through the old one, but anyway, sooner or later you will have to make a replacement.
- Is the trimmer dead and won’t start? Try to clean the so-called breather – an element designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. Cleaning can be done with a regular long needle. A clogged breather often causes a malfunction.
- Knives have been removed from the machine – some models will not work under this condition.
- Violation of tightness. This can be checked using a manometer. If the pressure starts to drop, you should determine which part of the carburetor is faulty. Most often, the carburetor gasket wears out.
- Sometimes after a long period of work, you may notice that the trimmer is overheated and will not start. First, you should know that you should definitely take breaks. The amount of continuous time recommended for this model should be indicated in the instructions. Also, the problem of overheating can lie in a faulty ignition coil or in an air cooling system that prevents overheating.
Video: Grass Trimmer Does Not Start Causes
If none of these actions gives a result, you should contact a repair shop or service center.
Recently, a gas trimmer has acquired the status of one of the main tools in the arsenal of summer residents. And this is not surprising, because a motorized spit allows you to quickly tidy up your personal plot. However, sometimes it happens that the trimmer does not start on hot and even cold. In such situations, you have to independently determine the cause of the malfunction. Let’s find out what to do if the trimmer does not start. The reasons that most often lead to such troubles will be discussed below.
How to start troubleshooting if the trimmer does not start? In situations when the tool stalls immediately after start-up, it is worth inspecting the following units of the unit:
- Fuel tank;
- Spark plug;
- Fuel and air filter;
- Exhaust channel;
It is the failure of the above locations that most often leads to the fact that the trimmer does not start well. Let’s look at how to eliminate such troubles.
Fuel mixture check
Let’s say you do not start the trimmer. In this case, the first step is to check whether there is enough fuel in the tank, and also to evaluate the quality of the fuel mixture. It is necessary to refuel the motorized unit with exclusively high-quality gasoline. It is recommended to use fuel whose brand is not lower than AI-95. Filling the trimmer with fuel of an unknown origin, purchased at a non-gas station, is fraught with the occurrence of frequent malfunctions in the tool. This may cause a malfunction of the cylinder-piston system. Repair in this case often exceeds the cost of the device itself.
Why doesn’t the gas trimmer start? Incorrect preparation of the fuel mixture, which consists of oil and gasoline, can also lead to this. The proportions in which these components are connected are indicated by the manufacturers in the trimmer instruction manual. It is extremely not recommended to prepare the fuel mixture in large volumes, that is, for the future. Indeed, with long-term savings, the loss of the defining properties of a substance occurs. Therefore, if the trimmer does not start, you should drain the old fuel and use a freshly prepared fuel mixture.
Diagnosis of the suppository canal
What to do if the used fuel mixture is in perfect order, but the gas trimmer still does not start? The reasons for the failure of the mechanism may lie in the excessive wetting of the candle channel. To diagnose and fix the problem, do the following:
- Unscrew the candle. Wipe it thoroughly and then dry it.
- Drain excess fuel in the chamber through the corresponding spark plug hole.
- Clean the old candle if there is soot on its surface. To cope with the task will allow the use of an ordinary lady’s nail file or needle file.
- When installing the element in place, set a gap of 1 mm. To check the parameter, just put any coin in the lumen.
- Reassemble the function block.
- Try to have a trimmer.
Drying the candle channel is recommended for at least half an hour. However, in no case should you resort to calcining its elements. After all, heating the spark plug can lead to its final damage. What to do if the function block was serviced in accordance with the above recommendations, but the trimmer does not start, is there a spark? In this case, it is worth treating the threaded connection with gasoline. The latter does not need to be abundantly impregnated with fuel. It should only be slightly moistened. You should resort to such actions to ensure ignition. After all, no matter how strong the spark is from a candle, there’s simply nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber.
If even in this case the trimmer does not start, it is worth evaluating the quality of the contact between the high-voltage wire and the candle. In the absence of a spark (in the presence of a reliable connection between these elements), most likely the problem is caused by a breakdown of the ignition unit. In this situation, you will have to turn to the services of masters who will reinstall the site.
Another common reason that does not start the trimmer is the clogging in the filter area. To confirm the guess, it is enough to dismantle the indicated unit and try to start the unit without it. If the trimmer engine starts, you will most likely have to replace the air filter or at least thoroughly purge the old one. In the presence of heavy pollution on a surface of the filtering element it is necessary to use a new grid. When resorting to such actions, one should not leave the suction pipe completely without a filter. Indeed, the rush in this case may lead to the need to repair the entire piston group of the engine unit.
Cleaning the breather
Often, the engine of branded trimmer models stalls as a result of clogging of the breather. The main task of this component is to equalize the pressure in the fuel tank. In case of contamination of the unit, a vacuum forms here, which significantly complicates the supply of fuel. The problem can be rectified by cleaning the breather with a regular sewing needle.
Stable operation of the trimmer may be impaired due to the accumulation of dirt in the exhaust channel or the formation of blockage on the silencer mesh. This problem most often occurs during the operation of older generation trimmer models. The issue is solved by dismantling the anti-spark mesh and cleaning it.
How to prevent sudden breakdowns during operation of the trimmer?
To ensure that the unit is always in a functional state, it is worth observing several simple rules:
- Conduct timely, regular technical inspection of the main mechanical components of the device.
- Refuel the trimmer with exclusively fresh fuel, the quality and origin of which is beyond doubt.
- Check after each use of the tool whether oxides and deposits have formed on the surface of the ignition system elements.
- Avoid heavy load trimmer during work.
In order for the unit to remain in working condition, it is necessary to properly prepare it for storage in the winter. First of all, you should completely disassemble the tool, and then flush and clean the components. It is also important to inspect the functional blocks for damage, if necessary, eliminating the deformation of parts, all kinds of distortions, gusts of materials.
Off-season gasoline trimmer storage recommendations
When placing the trimmer in storage, it is worth filling the gearbox with enough oil. Then you need to clean the air filter, partially disassemble, blow and rinse the engine of the unit. Having dried all the mechanisms, lubricate the movable elements. To process the piston system with oils, you must first remove the spark plug. Then you need to move the piston to the extreme position, after which pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole and scroll the crankshaft. If it is planned to store the gas trimmer in the offseason not in the house, it is recommended to tightly wrap the engine of the unit with oiled rags. This will avoid the development of corrosion on the surface of important components of the mechanism.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons why a gas trimmer may not start. However, with a serious approach to the problem, the malfunctions indicated in the material are quite easily eliminated by one’s own hands. Seek help from specialists only in case of critical breakdowns. In the end, you should always correlate the cost of self-repair with the prices for servicing the unit in the workshop.