Grass trimmer won’t start Petrol plug wet
Grass trimmers are technically complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the relevant instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline grass trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of such symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of equipment. In addition, poor quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is true both for the Chinese lawn mower and for representatives of the model lines of famous brands.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnostics of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the mower does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repairs. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations when the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still shows no signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle at the next start-up attempt;
- completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate gap;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the engine of the grass scythe does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there will be nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. When faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline scythe for grass will be to check the condition of the filters. It is not uncommon for the mower to start poorly or does not start at all on a cold mower due to a clogged air filter. This malfunction can be identified by excluding it from the system. If after that the grass braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users are strongly advised to periodically purge the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also not start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, which is provided by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and searching for the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust duct and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
As practice shows, gasoline grass trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several of the most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced brushcutter owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Grass trimmers from renowned brands such as Husgvarna, Makita, STIHL are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of the equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the internal combustion engine, the lawnmower may stall due to the fact that it floods the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the grass braid stops running hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the grass scythe does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, trimmer owners have to face more serious troubles. One of these is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
Ways to eliminate breakage
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be at least AI-92 gasoline and high-quality engine oil. The mixing ratios are specified in the manufacturer’s manual that comes with any gasoline grass trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. In this way, the easiest way is to maintain the appropriate proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting a brushcutter, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a blockage is found, the easiest way is to replace the filter with a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with little time. You will need to do the following:
- remove the filter element;
- directly in the working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- when operating a grass scythe at home or at a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- the cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions did not provide a positive result, then the next step will be to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications and videos posted on the World Wide Web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems in question, there are several steps you can take.
- the grass trimmer is placed on the side so that the air is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, owners of petrol cutters find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the internal combustion engine does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching many years of practice. It is necessary to move the choke to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
Problems can arise with the starter itself. Often the cable breaks and the handle breaks. You can deal with such troubles on your own. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased assembled and installed by hand.
The spark plug may be flooded with fuel when the engine of the grass trimmer is started. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, starting the device is unlikely to work. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- turn off the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- remove the candle itself;
- inspect the dismantled part;
- make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- screw in a new, working plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repair work associated with the fact that the grass scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later you have to deal with in the process of operating a household lawn mower, it is quite possible to cope on your own. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio between the cost of repair and the price of a new grass trimmer.
Gasoline grass trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
Taking into account the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One common problem is that the mower won’t start or pick up speed. For the most prompt and effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any brushcutter and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- in the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to timely and efficiently clean the channels located on the body of the grass scythe and the ribs of the starter;
- in the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- these works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- it is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- all fuel residues in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the grass scythe; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- after removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be removed from the internal combustion engine in full.
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- completely disassemble the grass trimmer;
- thoroughly rinse and clean all elements to which there is access;
- inspect the parts of the lawn mower in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found in this case should be eliminated);
- pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- having the appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to perform partial disassembly of the power plant, followed by purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- wrap the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- remove the candle;
- transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with the help of the starter;
- pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
It is important to remember that competent operation of the brushcutter and its timely maintenance (independent or in service) is a guarantee of the longest possible service life and minimum costs.
Next, watch the video on how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline grass trimmer will not start.
The first is the candle
The first step is to unscrew the candle. If it is wet, the ignition system is faulty. Try to wipe the spark plug, put it in the cap, attach it to the engine, jerk with the starter. Is there a spark? If not, then you need to change the candle.
Replacing the spark plug didn’t help? Then you need to watch the magneto, cable, ignition coil. The cable is dialed, the coil is checked for resistance (the multimeter is in the resistance measurement mode at 200 Ohms, one contact to ground, the other to the output of the coil, should show from 0.4 to 2 Ohms). Sometimes the magnets on the flywheel get dirty, or the key is licked off, and the ignition moment flies away. Chinese shit throws up all sorts of surprises, but for the most part everything can be revealed visually.
Be sure to pay attention to the plaque of the candle. If it is black, the candle is smoked, then the mixture is rich, or you have mixed the fuel incorrectly. If the plaque is white, it means that the mixture is poor, and the engine could already die from the temperature. Ideally, the color should be brick, light, without much plaque.
Again, if the black candle is dead, you should not immediately sin on the carburetor and ignition. Screw in a new one, see what the plaque will be. Maybe the candle was just of poor quality.
Flooded Lawn Mower Engine.
If at least some spark discharge on the electrodes is still possible on a wet candle, then a spark discharge on a “flooded” candle will no longer be possible. We hear about “flooded” candles more often than about “flooded” engines. It is even difficult for many to imagine such an engine until they personally encounter it.
A wet spark plug or a flooded candle is the main sign of either an inoperative spark plug, the absence of high-voltage voltage on the spark plug electrodes, or an over-enrichment of the fuel mixture supplied to the engine working chamber.
Additionally, this can include cases with poor-quality fuel, low high-voltage and poor compression ratio. As a rule, one thing entails some other manifestations and you can easily get confused in determining the main, root cause of the malfunction.
Spark plug. We got our hands on another lawn mower, or a petrol trimmer, where they could not start the engine. Even no recommendations from the observers and “friendly” neighbors helped. We replaced the spark plugs with new ones, but there was no result, and each next spark plug was unscrewed wet.
Spark Plug Fuel Fouling. Rough Idle, Won’t Run (Diagnose & Fix)
Lawn mower engine air filter. The petrol trimmer engine was opened in stages. The air filter ring has been completely moistened with fuel. A large amount of fuel was present in the compartment where the filter element is installed.
The throughput of the wet filter decreased, and even with a dry spark plug, the engine could not start because the wet filter element blocked the supply of the required amount of air. The spark plug electrodes were immediately flooded with fuel at the first attempt to start the engine.
Lawn mower muffler. Through the mounting holes of the muffler, on one of the mounting studs, an oil stain was clearly visible. Oil traces can appear when the fastening nuts are loosely tightened, when used oil vapors along with exhaust gases seep through weak seals, but on this petrol brush the tightening of the nuts corresponded to the required force.
And in the muffler itself, we found about 50 60 ml of fuel. Not oil, but the same fuel that was in the fuel tank.
Lawn mower engine. When opening the engine, we expected to find some surprise, and this was not a vain expectation. The piston contained a certain amount of dense sooty carbon deposits. Stuck piston rings and a layer of carbon deposits on the piston indicated that when working with a petrol cutter, the temperature of the engine, which was running on an over-enriched mixture, was exceeded.
Many manufacturers write directly on the container that the oil has good antiwear, lubricating, anti-corrosion and temperature properties. But none of them will write: “Do not overheat the engine!” or “Strictly adhere to our recommendations!” It’s hard to say what was poured instead of oil, or unmeasured oil was poured.
Crankcase. Most of all we were surprised by the crankcase, which was filled to the brim with fuel. It happens when a certain amount of fuel is collected in the engine crankcase, but that the crankcase is completely filled with fuel is a rarity for us.
The engine worked ‘in the sweat of the brow’, and the operator did not pay attention to fuel consumption, increased smoke content, lower engine speed. Lawn mower engine flooded to the very edge of the crankcase.
Lawn mower carburetor. When disassembling the carburetor, there were no difficulties. Outside, the carburetor of the lawn mower was wet and dirty, which indicated that fuel was leaking, but we did not find the place of leakage during an external examination.
And inside the carburetor there were dense deposits located along the edge of the seat hole of one of the diaphragm valves, which indicated poor performance of this valve when its petal did not press tightly against the seat.
Wet spark plug on the gas trimmer. Flooded engine.
Surely many who use small motorized equipment know what a “flooded” spark plug on an engine is and what unpleasant situations arise because of this. Very often, using newly acquired equipment, many do not check the condition of the spark plug electrodes after updating the fuel and lubricants, but remember this only when the first malfunctions appear.
Where to start diagnostics of brushcutters
If the mower does not start or immediately stalls after starting, all major components and assemblies must be checked sequentially. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be eliminated after a thorough inspection.
Will not start on cool grass trimmer. eliminate the cause
Use to clean the carburetor and special rinse.
Immediately after buying a grass trimmer for weed, we are faced with a lot of questions. how to use it correctly, how to refuel (if we are talking about a gasoline tool) and it is clear which line is better to choose. You can find the answer to the last question in the text of the article.
How to quickly remove a stump without uprooting?
Some gardeners at some point are faced with the need to cut trees growing in this area. As a result, stumps remain, if the trees were of significant size, it is very problematic to uproot them. The text of the article tells about other methods of getting rid of stumps.
You bought yourself a new gasoline grass trimmer and immediately got into trouble. It starts very badly. If you mow a little, and then turn it off, then turning it on “hot” is an even bigger problem than “cold”. What to do with it, I don’t know how to get it right?
The instruction for the brushcutter plant sounds like this:
Pump up fuel with a silicone button (primer) located on the bottom of the carburetor. Pressing must be done as much (or a little more) as written in the instructions, usually about 8-10.
Lock the throttle lever with a stop button at high speeds.
Pull the starter handle 2-3 times. The engine should “grab”.
If the engine “grabs” and stalled, then you need to move the choke to the 1/2 position and try to start again. If the engine starts, then we release the gas and move the air damper to the “open” position. Getting started.
When performing fuel pumping manipulations, one should not be afraid to pour it over. If this happened, and, as they say, “filled the candle”, then you do not need to unscrew it, it is enough to move the air damper to the “open” position and, while holding full throttle, simultaneously turn the engine with the starter 2-4 times. After that, you can start the engine and get to work.
Checking the fuel mixture
Check the presence and quality of the fuel mixture before starting the engine. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). Prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its amount based on real needs. Excess gasoline left over after work loses its quality over time.
Often, the engine of branded trim models stalls as a result of a clogged breather. The main task of the specified component is to equalize the pressure in the fuel tank. The reasons why the gasoline does not start and you never know what other reasons may be. In case of contamination of the unit, a vacuum is formed here, which significantly complicates the supply of fuel. The problem can be eliminated by cleaning the breather with a regular sewing needle.
Some tricks for working with the petrol trimmer.
Where to start troubleshooting if the grass trimmer won’t start? In situations where the tool stalls immediately after starting, it is worth inspecting the following units of the unit:
- fuel tank;
- spark plug;
- fuel and air filter;
- outlet channel;
Quickly Unflood A Trimmer Using NO Tools
It is the breakdown of the above locations that most often leads to the fact that the grass trimmer does not start well. Let’s look at how to eliminate such troubles.
Why the lawn mower won’t start. troubleshooting
Caring for the backyard plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the lawn mower does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. To correctly diagnose the problem, the owner of a useful unit in the country needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
Checking the fuel mixture
Let’s say your grass trimmer won’t start. In this case, the first step is to check if there is enough fuel in the tank, and also to assess the quality of the fuel mixture. The petrol grass trimmer won’t start? Reasons and the gasoline grass trimmer is not a spark plug. Why the gasoline grass trimmer won’t start. The reasons why the petrol grass trimmer stopped starting can be different, so a step-by-step diagnosis of the device is required. It is necessary to refuel the motorized unit with exclusively high-quality gasoline. It is recommended to use fuel, the grade of which is not lower than AI-95. Filling the grass trimmer with fuel of unknown origin not purchased from a gas station can cause frequent malfunctions. This can cause damage to the piston-cylinder system. In this case, repairs often exceed the cost of the device itself.