Hacksaw for metal which is better
- Tooth pitch, mm: 24
- Installation angles of the canvas, ° С: 90/45
- Blade material: aluminum
- Blade length, mm: 300
- Handle material: aluminum
Tooth pitch 24mm; metal frame and canvas; blade length 30 cm.
A good hacksaw is actively used for cutting metal when carrying out locksmith work, reduces the time for further processing of the part due to ensuring a clean cut. For ease of use, a rubberized handle is provided to prevent slipping.
- equipped with a convenient web tensioning system;
- the presence of a rubber pad on the handle;
- high quality steel blades.
Disadvantage. blue paint peels off the canvas during operation.
Expert opinion: a high-quality hacksaw at an affordable cost, copes with any household tasks. It can be a worthy replacement for an electric jigsaw, it will provide cutting metal even in hard-to-reach places.
Criteria for choosing a good hacksaw for metal
Any hacksaw consists of a machine (frame) and a blade (cutting element).
When choosing the right tool, you need to take into account the main criteria and characteristics:
- The tooth pitch is a parameter that allows the hacksaw to work with materials of various strengths and thicknesses. Therefore, based on the size of the material, it is necessary to select the tool with the appropriate step. It is necessary to take into account the fact that when working with a workpiece, 2-3 teeth must be involved at the same time.
- The shape of the teeth. this criterion may also differ, it will depend on the angle of inclination of the cutting element located in front. For processing hard metal products, you need to choose blades with small teeth, and for soft ones. with large teeth.
- The size of the canvas. the parameter is selected depending on the size and volume of the workpieces, the purposes of use. The dimensions of the canvas on average can lie in the range of 29-70 cm. For domestic use, a canvas size of 300 mm will be sufficient. It is better to choose a saw with a clean, shape-retaining blade, ideal even without cracks, chipping and rust marks.
- The handle is a criterion that affects the life of the tool. Hollow structures can crack, break, even with little pressure. Therefore, preference should be given to full-bodied or metal handles. When choosing, you need to take the tool in your hands and check whether the handle fits tightly to the palm. Only in this case it will be as convenient as possible to work with the instrument.
- The price of a hacksaw for metal is formed based on the previous criteria, as well as the type and material of the blade.
We have already covered:
Rating of hacksaws for metal
Taking into account the listed selection criteria, a rating was compiled. All hacksaws are characterized by excellent performance and versatility.
- Tooth pitch, mm: 24
- Installation angles of the canvas, ° С: 90
- Blade material: carbon steel
- Blade length, mm: 300
- Handle material: two-piece
Best hacksaw for metal with 24mm tooth pitch, 30cm blade length and carbon steel blade materials.It weighs only 610 grams.
The hand saw can be used both in household and professional activities due to the fact that it cuts any metal very quickly and as accurately as possible, does not slip out of the hand during work. The two-component handle does not leave calluses after work.
- high-quality fabric material. Japanese steel 65 Mn, not deformed, not susceptible to corrosion;
- prostate knife change and simplified tensioning system;
- ergonomic handle for a secure grip.
COBALT 150 mm 246-548
- Blade material: aluminum
- Blade length, mm: 150
- Handle material: plastic, metal
Mini saw with 24 teeth per inch, blade length 15 cm, with aluminum frame has a minimum weight of 0.10 kg.
Despite its modest size, the mini hacksaw is a highly durable, durable tool with an ergonomic handle and die-cast aluminum body. In work, it is practical and versatile.
- light weight and compact dimensions allow you to always take the tool with you;
- fast cutting of various materials and parts;
- suitable for home use.
- in the process of work, the canvas scrolls around the axis;
- the presence of small backlashes in the mount;
- mowing line offset to the side.
Expert judgment: if you need a lightweight compact tool for small household tasks, then the Cobalt model is perfect for this purpose. The ergonomically shaped handle provides comfort and a secure grip.
Enkor Osa 20980 300 mm
- Blade length, mm: 300
- Handle material: rubberized plastic
The model was created specifically for working with metal products; it provides a convenient web tensioning system thanks to a conveniently located screw. Creates the most accurate cut, during work you can not slip out of your hands thanks to the rubberized handle.
- a rigid frame does not allow the blade to bend during the cutting process;
- comfortable handle;
- high reliability even in harsh operating conditions.
Expert judgment: adjustable pulling force and comfortable shape will be additional advantages in work, making the model multifunctional.
- Tooth pitch, mm: 24
- Angles of installation of the canvas, ° С: 90/45
- Blade material: bimetal
- Blade length, mm: 600
- Handle material: metal
Gross. a saw for metal with a blade length of 30 cm, with a tooth pitch of 24 mm, with a metal rubberized handle, a bimetal blade. Weighs less than 1 kg.
The feature of the tool is to create a fast and accurate cut thanks to the high speed steel blade. The rubberized grip makes it easy to grip. Additional function of changing the tension of the cutting blade to obtain a straight and accurate cut in each case.
- tight fastening of the canvas;
- the presence of an additional tip with a small tooth;
- convenient web tensioning system;
- function of setting the canvas at angles of 90 and 45 degrees.
Disadvantages: in comparison with similar models, larger and heavier.
Expert opinion: the tool fully justifies its cost, has increased wear resistance and durability.
6 best hacksaws for home and workshop
Despite the emergence of a huge variety of different electric tools, classic hacksaws for metal are in high demand. To choose the best hacksaws for metal in 2021 that can last for many years and not break, you need to consider the main criteria. These include the type of metal from which the main cutting part is made, the number and degree of sharpening of the teeth. A good hacksaw will not break after 10-15 jobs, as it will be made of the most durable hardened steel that retains its sharpness.
Types of hacksaws
There are the following types of hacksaws:
- on wood;
- for metal;
- for foam concrete and drywall.
What are the saws: the main types and characteristics of the tool
Regardless of the development of technical means and power tools, the need for a simple and reliable hand tool does not disappear anywhere. In some cases, this is the only help in the work. To saw a board or a bar, a metal rod or a PVC pipe, all this is “in the teeth” with a hand saw. The variety of applications for hand saws is great. There are hacksaws “sharpened” for a foam block, there are for woodworking, others saw metal or plastic with PVC.
- Rip saws. features of the shape and sharpening of teeth
- Types of hacksaws
- Hacksaws for wood
- Hacksaws for metal
- About types of tools
- Video. Garden saws. Which hacksaw to choose?
- Safety at work
- How did we choose
- Popular models
- Gross Piranha 24106 450 mm
- BLACKDECKER BDHT0-20169 500 mm
- STANLEY JETCUT 2-15-595 450 mm
- BISON Professional 15154-250 250 mm
- Vira 800 240 400 mm
- STANLEY JETCUT 2-15-281 380 mm
- Kraftool Katran Precision Cut 1-15194-18-22 185 mm
- JCB JSW002 550 mm
- Gross Piranha 24100 450 mm
- STANLEY Fatmax 0-20-556
- Bahco 2600-16-XT11-HP
- Types of hacksaw blades and their design
Hacksaws for metal
Tool for working with metal workpieces. The design includes a hacksaw frame and blade.
- length 150-400 mm;
- width 250-300 mm;
- thickness 0.63-1.25 mm;
- high speed steel blade;
- teeth are heat treated
Types of hacksaws for metal
Professional hacksaw for metal:
- robust body construction;
- high-quality casting;
- rubberized handle;
- it is possible to make cuts at 55 and 90 degree angles.
Hacksaw handle for metal:
- suitable for sawing broken panels;
- specific shape of the staple for working with difficult places;
- the rig is attached only on one side;
- used for internal cuts.
How did we choose
When choosing the best hacksaws, we paid attention to the following points:
- Build quality. How well the tool is assembled allows you to immediately identify a good product, and hacksaws are no exception. There should be no backlash, crooked connections, flimsy parts, etc. in the design of the tool.
- The weight. Too heavy a tool will tire the hand, so we chose the lightest hacksaws.
- Simplicity and ease of use. It is convenient and easy to work with a hacksaw with a good sharpening and a hard blade, and we took this into account when choosing.
- Reliability. A bad hacksaw needs to be sharpened and set regularly. Therefore, we have chosen the tool with which you will have no hassle.
The logical development of the jigsaw design has become a compact band saw. Its working body is a closed steel belt with teeth, which is rotated by an electric motor.
Sawing with its help is easier than working with a jigsaw, which vibrates strongly and strives to get out of your hands. The cleanliness and precision of the band saw is ideal. This not only reduces waste, but also produces a cut surface that does not require sanding.
The workpiece can be held here with two hands, which increases the accuracy of operations when cutting curved elements.
The main indicator of band saws for wood is the cutting depth, which can be from 8 to 50 cm.The jigsaw and circular saw are not able to cut such a thick material.
Other characteristics apply to cutting blades.
There are two categories here:
- Carbon saws (made of steel С75 and analogs);
- Alloy saw blades made of D6A steel (have increased wear resistance and resistance to alternating loads).
Hacksaw Machine | Metal Cutting Jigsaw
Depending on the manufacturing technology and hardening of the cutting teeth, the blades are divided into two types:
- Saw blades with serrated unhardened teeth;
- Sliced hardened tooth blades.
The main advantage of a saw blade with a hardened tooth is its high wear resistance (2 times higher than that of saws with unhardened cutters). Disadvantages. high cost and sensitivity to foreign inclusions.
The rest of the parameters of the band saws are summarized in a simple list:
- Web width;
- Teeth Per Inch Length (TPI).
For standard sawing jobs, a 1/2 ″ band is ideal. Narrower blades (3/8 “) are used for shape cutting.
The number of teeth of the cutting strip directly affects the evenness of the cut (the more there are, the smoother the cut). Coarse saw blades (2.3 TPI) are used for cutting wood and logs up to 200 mm thick. For cleaner work, saws with 6 TPI are used, and for precise cutting, the size 10-14 TPI is used. Optimum size for high productivity and good cut quality. 8 TPI.
Metal band saw
The metal table saw is similar in design to a wood cutter. However, its capabilities are more modest. This tool can only perform cross-cutting of rolled steel (pipes, angle bars, fittings, channel bars) at different angles.
To choose the right tool, take into account the following parameters:
size. determined by the amount of work.
Compact products with a length of 150 mm are suitable for sawing a small amount of materials, since the hand gets tired quite quickly when working with such a jigsaw.
Standard saws with a length of 300 mm do more work;
the shape of the prong and its sharpness;
pitch. for sawing soft alloys, plastics, asbestos, large teeth with a pitch of 18 are suitable.
Saw hard materials with fine-toothed hacksaws;
material. the most durable and reliable today is a cloth made of different metals, the so-called bimetallic.
But if the blade is rarely required, then the home craftsman can get by with a carbon steel model;
cost. the nature of the blade, the size and configuration of the teeth determines the price of the product.
BISON Professional 15154-250 250 mm
Great for hiking. Blade length 250 mm. This is ideal for small jobs. Can handle laminate, wood and plastic. It will cost only 450 rubles. Ideal for tourists.
BISON Professional 15154-250 250 mm
Mini-hacksaws and ordinary hacksaws for metal are characterized by a rather simple design: a narrow file is stretched between the two ends of the U-type staple. A file equipped with teeth acts as a working area, and working with this tool will be effective only if you use both hands.
The fastening system is of two types: thread (initially the web is pulled, and then with the help of a nut and profit they fix it), a lever (installation and shooting of the web is carried out using a special lever).
Tools with a lever are more expensive due to their versatility, quick installation and removal of the blade.
The great advantage of hacksaws for metal is that they do not require recharge from the electrical network.
Hacksaw for metal which is better
A hacksaw for metal is a tool that every man should have, since there is a huge variety of chores, in particular construction, where you cannot do without it.
But due to the huge variety of this kind of hacksaws, people may have difficulties with the selection of quality products.
Brief content of the article:
- Design features
- Varieties of tools
- Tool selection criteria
- Shape and pitch of teeth
- Material and canvas
- A pen
- Photo of hacksaws for metal
Material and canvas
Among the common options for the material that is used to make hacksaws, there are aluminum, asbestos, bronze, hard rubber, brass, copper, plastic, cast iron and steel.
The blade for a hacksaw for metal is selected taking into account the size and volume of the workpieces. On average, the length of the canvas is from 300 to 700 millimeters. There must be even teeth on the blade.
When bending, the saw surface should return to its original state. If there are cracks or even the slightest traces of rust on the canvas, then you should refuse to buy such a hacksaw.
In most cases, hacksaw blades are made thin and narrow. If you follow the rules noted in GOST, then there are two types of hacksaw blades for metal:
- A. the teeth are located on one side of the file;
- B. teeth are located on both sides of the blade.
Which BiMetal Sawzall Blade Best? Let’s find out! (Episode 1 of 4)
Shape and pitch of teeth
The shape of the teeth can vary depending on the inclination of the cutting element placed in front. Using the pitch of the teeth, you can determine the hardness and thickness of the material that will be processed.
Measure the number of teeth per millimeter of the file. During operation, the tool uses 2-3 teeth in parallel. The hacksaw teeth are directed away from the saw.
Tool selection criteria
You can choose a good tool only if you take into account a number of criteria.
Varieties of tools
Currently, there are three types of tools for metal carving:
Homemade. The most popular and inexpensive option, which is well suited for simple household chores (cutting seams, grooves) and stands out for a high level of convenience during use. Quite often, such tools are complemented by wooden handles, which are placed longitudinally to the canvas.
Professional hacksaws. They are used for long-term work and obtaining accurate cuts, thanks to them there is an opportunity to cut metal to non-standard sizes. Supplemented with a comfortable rubberized handle.
Hacksaw handle. It is characterized by a special shape in the form of a staple, it is used for processing hard-to-reach areas. Well suited for cuts on the inside.
If you wish, you can see the photo of the presented options for hacksaws for metal.
It is worth refusing to purchase a tool with a hollow handle, since even with the slightest pressure, there is a high probability of breakage.
It is preferable to pick up the instrument and hold it. The handle should be completely covered by the hand, you need to control so that the fingers do not cross, thereby interfering with each other.
If you follow all the rules presented, then a hacksaw for metal will last for many years, the main thing is to replace the blades in a timely manner and correctly select the check between the teeth. Thrifty owners even leave old hacksaw blades, and then use them to make many of the tools necessary in everyday life.
Types of hacksaw teeth
All the models described above differ not only in the shape of the blade for a hacksaw for metal or wood, but also in the size and angle of sharpening of the teeth. In terms of shape and sharpening, all teeth are divided into:
- Rip sawing equipment along the grain. It has large, right-angle sharpened teeth.
- For crosscutting layers of workpieces. Tooth edges are sharpened at an angle and slightly slanted back.
- The so-called Japanese cross-cut teeth. They differ from the standard counterpart in longer teeth and a double slope of the cutting edge.
- Symmetrical universal teeth, sharpened along the edges. Suitable for ripping and cross cutting.
The size of the teeth are:
- Small, about 2-2.5 mm long.
- Medium, the size of which is in the region of 3-3.5 mm.
- Teeth with a length of 4-6 mm are considered large.
- Gross Piranha 24101 is one of the best classic professional wood carving models with a comfortable grip from a German company with production in China. Cost. 20.
- Vira 800240 is a high-quality domestic saw with three-sided sharpening of teeth and their additional hardening. High quality at a modest cost of about 7.
- Stanley 1-15-122 is a frame saw with a comfortable handle. Price. 8.
- The Stayer Max Cut is a handy, foldable type of woodcutting tool that many hunters and hikers prefer to take with them. Price. 7.
- Irwin 10505549 is a specialized tool for professional bricklayers for working with aerated concrete blocks. Price. 24.
How to sharpen a hacksaw?
After carrying out a certain amount of work with a hacksaw, the saw teeth are simply dull. The first signs of the need for sharpening include:
- Heavy and uneven sawing.
- Uneven cut.
- The web often gets stuck.
- It is difficult to keep the given trajectory.
When the above “symptoms” appear, each master must understand how to sharpen a hacksaw while maintaining the working profile of the teeth:
- Clamp the tool securely in a vise or clamp.
- Carry out the setting of the teeth. This procedure involves alternately bending each tooth in different directions by the same amount by about 1.5-2 mm with a special tool.
- A triangular file with a fine cut is selected.
- The angle of sharpening of the teeth is determined by eye, which is approximately equal to 15-30º.
- Carry out the same number of file strokes in the selected direction on one side. Repeat the process for the other side.
- The teeth are aligned in height.
What is a hacksaw for??
Having dealt with the definition of what a hacksaw is, it is worth dwelling in more detail on the areas of its application:
- This tool is widely used in horticulture for pruning trees and shrubs, cutting knots and rough parts of wood.
- A hacksaw is used to cut wooden parts during construction and household repairs.
- She cut out figures from plywood, make curved cuts or make through holes.
- There are special varieties for sawing metal sheets and pipes, aerated concrete blocks.
- Some modifications cut grooves, spikes and recessed holes.
What is a hacksaw?
In joinery, a hacksaw is a special type of hand saw designed for sawing wood, metal, aerated concrete, plastic and other materials. Scientists find mentions of the first such instruments in ancient times in the civilizations of Egypt, Greece and Rome. During the centuries-old history, the hacksaw has undergone significant changes, but has not lost its relevance and is always stored in the set of basic tools of the home craftsman.
Hacksaw. what is it, a device, what is it for, how it differs from a saw, the main types
One of the main tools for working with various materials from a home craftsman is a hacksaw. It has several varieties, which are used depending on the type of surface to be treated. It is important for each of them to be able to use correctly.
Aerated concrete hacksaw
A special type of tool is a hacksaw for foam blocks, specially designed for separating or removing excess parts of aerated concrete. This fragile material requires a special tool with hard-melt soldering on the teeth. Thanks to this technology, it is possible to:
- Extend tool life. Special solders prevent abrasion and wear of the teeth, which makes it possible to cut a large amount of aerated concrete.
- A hacksaw for drywall or wood is much sharper, but it cannot be used for foam blocks, since the materials have different density and stiffness. Special tooling simplifies and speeds up the process of dividing blocks into parts.
- Get rid of the need to buy expensive electric or petrol devices for working with gas silicate.
How to use a hacksaw?
The principles of working with basic locksmith tools, which include a hand saw, are simple, but non-observance can lead to saw breakage or poor-quality sawing. The main rules for handling the tool:
- The master occupies a comfortable standing position with a firm emphasis on the legs. The arms at the elbow should be bent at an angle of 90º.
- Reliable fixation of the sawn surface. If possible, it is better to secure the material in a vice.
- The hacksaw blade is firmly positioned strictly perpendicular to the surface. It is important to exclude all vibrations of the instrument in order to prevent damage to it.
- Tools for metal are held with two hands, while for wood or aerated concrete. with one.