How can I replace the grease in the trimmer
With frequent, intensive use of lawn mowers, the gearbox may start to warm up or make sounds uncharacteristic for its normal operation, for example, rattle. This indicates that the mechanism must be lubricated. If this is not done on time, more serious problems will arise (for example, gears will quickly wear out and need to be replaced), up to jamming. With the transmission mechanism, other failures also occur. Repair and lubrication of the gearbox can be done independently – for this you just need to get acquainted with the features of these works and stock up on some available tools.
Trimmer gear device
A trimmer reducer is a unit that transmits the rotational movement of the motor shaft to a knife or fishing line. It is located on the lower end of the bar. The transmission unit is also designed to reduce the trimmer engine speed.
The mechanism depends on the model of lawn mowers from several gears rotating at high speed. As a result, they heat up due to strong friction. If there is insufficient lubricant, or there is none at all, the process leads to severe overheating and failure of parts, and, accordingly, the need for complex repairs. To avoid this, lubricate the transmission unit in time. The disassembled gearbox is shown in the photo below.
Gearboxes of modern trimmers of different models from different manufacturers differ in design and size seat. It happens:
- In the form of an asterisk;
Lawn mowers are equipped with gearboxes with different types of gears:
- Worm gears;
The drive shaft and gearbox are heavily loaded trimmer assemblies that are highly susceptible to wear. Between them, the movement is transmitted due to the adhesion of the teeth of the gears located at different angles to each other. Effectively gear only works if there is no mechanical damage. In this case, the mechanism should not overheat, otherwise it may jam.
The main malfunctions of the gearbox and their solutions
With the gearbox of an electric or gas trimmer, various failures occur. The most common of them are presented in the table below. There you can find the causes of their occurrence and methods of elimination.
|Possible causes of failure
|the transmission unit is very hot
|use of unsuitable (poor-quality) grease or its absence
|need to replace or add lubricant
|new gears and did not get used
|run-in for a short time without heavy loads with regular stops, so that the mechanism has time to cool down
|jamming of the shaft during rotation, the appearance of play and knocking
|destruction or significant wear of any of the bearings
|replace a failed bearing with a new one
|the transmission mechanism flies from the bar of the lawn mowing or wobbles
|damage to his body
|it is necessary to replace the part
|in some cases, with minor damage by a clamp made of metal, they tighten the place with a fault
|not fixed on the pipe
|it is possible to make winding from an insulating tape in the place of fastening or to change a bar
|the output shaft with the knife does not rotate or stops in case of increasing load
|wear of teeth on gears or one of them
|replacement of an interacting pair of worn parts is required
Bearings are destroyed due to the use of improper grease or due to its absence. They also cause damage. Severe operating conditions lawn mowing and ingress of foreign material particles (for example, broken metal teeth of mechanical gears) due to the fact that the integrity of the anthers is broken.
To remove the bearing, you need to disassemble the gearbox and use special puller. If it is not, then you can try to do it with a hammer with a tip. In this case, work should be done carefully so as not to damage the seat. Using the preheating method to take pictures of the bearing is not recommended. This is due to the fact that the metal can lose the required performance characteristics.
Most gearbox problems can be easily fixed by yourself. Replaceable parts are recommended to be purchased "native", designed for the model used lawn mowers.
Grease trimmer gear
Gear lubrication must be carried out regularly in accordance with the recommendations set out in operational instructions used model. This should also be done if:
- New gears were installed;
- Atypical sounds emanate from the gear during the operation of the trimmer;
- Knives rotate heavily.
With constant use of the trimmer, its transmission mechanism is stressed by grass, dirt or sticking to the knives due to a change in torque. The lubricant must be selected high-quality to extend the life of the gearbox.
When choosing a lubricant, the following factors must be considered:
- The degree of adhesion of the composition to the metal node;
- Product brand;
- Lubricant consumption by gear.
Well-known manufacturers, for example, Stihl, Husqvarna and others, except for trimmers, release grease to them. Such products not only reduce wear, but also protect the metal of the gears from corrosion. Therefore, for lawn mowing from these brands, it is better to use their own lubricant products.
Different models use different lubricants. This is largely determined by the intensity of use of the lawn mowers and the heating of the transmission mechanism. It is believed that there is enough lubricant if the gearbox temperature during operation does not exceed 40 ° C.
By consistency, trimmer lubricants can be:
In terms of composition, the following types of lubricants are in demand:
- Graphite, significantly reducing friction, as a result of which the rotation of the gear improves;
- Lithium, which are also an excellent anti-corrosion composition, saturated with additives that increase the wear resistance of the metal without harmful substances;
- Universal, highly refined mineral oils and performance enhancing components.
Examples of suitable lubricants are: Champion EP-0, Gear Grease OREGON, Oleo-Mas, Azmol 158, Litol. 24. You should also pay attention to the advice of manufacturers on this issue and use the materials they offer. You can buy them at specialized outlets.
Champion EP-0 greasing universal 120 gr
Gear lubrication algorithm
To lubricate the gear mechanism, its preliminary disassembly is not needed. A special hole has already been laid in the device for these purposes (it is shown in the photo below). In addition to gears during lubrication, attention must be paid to such elements of the mechanism:
- Bearing unit;
- Flywheel and starter coil dog.
Fill with oil or apply solid lubricant through grease fitting closed with a screw. In this case, perform actions in the following sequence:
- The gear case is cleaned of dirt and adhering grass, the area around the plug is carefully carefully so that debris does not get inside the mechanism;
- Using the appropriate tool (often it comes with a trimmer), unscrew the cork;
- The selected lubricant is introduced into the open technological hole from the tube, or using a syringe, as shown in the photograph below;
- Screw the cork into place.
Video: How can I replace the grease in the trimmer
If for any reason the gearbox needs to be disassembled, then the old lubricant must be completely removed from the entire surface of the gears and the housing, the shaft, and only then use a new one. The disassembled mechanism is conveniently lubricated with solid formulations.
The entire gearbox lubrication process is demonstrated in the video:
It is required to lubricate the transmission unit at least once during the year, but it is recommended to do this every 20 hours of intensive use of the lawn mowers. If the first signs of malfunctions with the mechanism appear, then lubricant must be added as quickly as possible.
How to replace the trimmer gear: action algorithm
To replace the gearbox with a similar part from the same manufacturer, it must first be disassembled and removed from the rod. They act in accordance with the following algorithm:
- Loosen the coupling bolts located under the gear;
- Using pliers, remove two corkscrew rings;
- Applying a puller, pull bearings from the driven and drive shafts;
- Then assemble the mechanism, installing all the spare parts in reverse order.
A disassembled gear is shown in the photo below.
If the puller is not at hand, then you can try carefully knock down bearings. When they are stuck and do not move at all, you can heat them with an industrial hair dryer (at a temperature of 600 ° C) and remove them.
Assembling the transfer unit is easier than disassembling it. It may only be necessary to lightly tap the hammer to fit the parts into place. After assembly, be sure to check that the driven shaft is rotated by hand.
When there is a need to replace the transmission unit with a non-original part, then you should consider their interchangeability. It should be borne in mind:
- Rod diameter (this parameter is often 25.4 or 26 mm);
- Drive shaft parameters – the shape of the docking place and diameter (its common value is 8 mm);
- Option to secure the protection.
If the considered parameters coincide, then it will be possible to install the part from other models.
Timely lubrication of the gearbox will ensure its continued operation without repairs. In addition, modern materials well protect the metal from corrosion, increase its wear resistance. The preference when choosing should be given to the lubricant recommended by the manufacturer of the operated trimmer. If it is not possible to acquire such compositions, then the considered ones or other suitable analogous properties should be used. When it is necessary to disassemble the mechanism during repairs, this should be done carefully so as not to damage individual parts.
Sometimes, in the midst of intense grass mowing operations, your trimmer begins to make unpleasant, grinding sounds. This complains about the lack of lubrication of the gearbox – the most intensively loaded unit of the device. And soon, these “warnings” may be followed by jamming of the drive …
What grease should be used for the trimmer gearbox?
In the process, the mechanical part of the trimmer is loaded with contact forces on the teeth, resistance reactions from adhering grass (sometimes with dirt), dynamic, impact loads due to constantly changing torque. The grease for the trimmer gear must fully take into account these features, so the selection of the brand must be strictly individual.
The following factors are taken into account:
- Brand of the manufacturer. Each brand is not unreasonably oriented on lubricants of its own manufacture (you can talk about cheap Chinese products later). This applies to manufacturers such as Husqvarna, Stihl, Huter, Makita, etc. The exception is domestic trimmers: for example, Caliber in the user manual does not indicate the brand of lubricant at all …
- The viscosity of the lubricant. As you know, all lubricating compounds are divided into three groups – highly viscous (colloidal systems containing various additives), plastic compounds of universal use and solid lubricants that soften during operation.
- Good adhesion to the surface of the gearbox parts, as a result of which the grease is not squeezed out into the gaps or out of the assembly.
- Gearbox lubricant consumption rate. Here you have to rely on your own experience and the recommendations of specialists, since some trimmer manufacturers, relying on the availability of their own service centers, generally do not give clear recommendations regarding the period of operation of the gearbox between two lubrications.
The lubricant consumption also depends on the temperature at which it retains its lubricity. When the gearbox is heated to 40 ° C, it is considered that its operating conditions are satisfactory, and there is enough lubrication.
It is believed that there is no universal lubricant for the trimmer gear, but this is not entirely true. In fact, a suitable lubricant will be one in which the following components are present:
- Anti-wear additives containing no toxic lead;
- Solid lubricants with the presence of graphite or molybdenum disulfide (the latter is preferable, since the lubricity is fully preserved for a wide range of shaft revolutions);
- Only mineral (inorganic!) Oils with a high degree of purification.
These requirements are fully met by Gear Grease OREGON or Champion EP-0 lithium greases, domestic compositions Oleo-Mas, Litol.24, or Azmol 158, as well as those recommended by the manufacturer of a particular trimmer model.
How to lubricate the trimmer gear?
In the upper part of the housing, where the gear block is installed, there is a technological hole, which, when the trimmer is operated, is plugged with a screw. This screw is unscrewed, and 1.5 … 2 ml of grease is introduced into the hole using the nozzle on the tube. If the lubricant was purchased in a different packaging, then for this operation, a regular disposable medical syringe is also suitable.
After that, the screw is installed in its original place. This procedure, regardless of the user’s recommendations, should be performed every 10 … 15 hours of operation of the trimmer in operating mode. Other reasons for updating or replacing the gearbox lubricant are independent minor maintenance work (for example, cleaning and washing the gearbox gear before the summer season), repair of the unit, preservation of the trimmer for the winter period, etc.
If the gear unit is disassembled, it is recommended to completely remove the remains of the previous grease from the surface of the parts, even if it does not have any signs of oxidation and contamination. And only then apply new grease. After applying the lubricant, it is recommended to turn the shaft manually several times, and make sure that the lubricant is evenly distributed over all parts of the gearbox.
When lubricating, special attention is paid to the following elements:
- Flywheel: on its surface, as a rule, the remnants of grass adhere intensively, and thickened grass juice creates additional resistance.
- The starter coil dog, which is constantly in contact with the grooves on the flywheel when the drive is turned on. In this case, not only mechanical wear occurs, but also mechanochemical corrosion of the flywheel-dog joint, since the materials for this pair are different (the flywheel is aluminum and the dog is steel).
- Bearings, if their seals are worn, and through them the grease is squeezed out. In this case, the unit begins to vibrate intensively when loaded. This happens with Chinese-made trimmers, so it’s worthwhile in the future to think about replacing the bearing assembly with a better one, for example, from the Swedish company SKF.
Lubricants during intimacy are used by many couples. This substance perfectly replaces natural lubricant. But not always a lubricant is nearby at the right time.
How can I replace intimate lubrication?
First of all, it is necessary to find out the distinctive properties of such a lubricant. As a rule, it is a gel-like or creamy substance with a moisturizing effect. The lubricant performs the following functions:
- Creates a protective film on the genitals of both Partners, protecting them from tears and various injuries;
- Provides a "pleasant" glide of the genitals;
- Protects partners from infections;
- Introduces additional feelings into the sexual intercourse, prolongs the sexual intercourse;
- Cares for sensitive skin in intimate places.
What is the best way to replace intimate lubrication?
Experts recommend 3 types of such tools:
- Water based lubricants.
- Intimate oil-based gels.
- Silicone based gels.
Based on the above, a logical question may arise whether it is possible to use petroleum jelly instead of intimate lubrication. Purely theoretically, this option is quite possible, because petroleum jelly is part of many factory lubricants. But doctors categorically do not recommend using it during sexual intercourse. In large quantities, that is, concentrated, petroleum jelly negatively affects the vaginal flora. After intercourse with petroleum jelly, a woman may have health problems. Therefore, a high-quality substitute for petroleum jelly can be a baby petroleum jelly soap, which is sold at any pharmacy.
Baby cream, well moisturizing the skin, having a high-quality chemical composition should also not be used during sex as an additional lubricant. The fats contained in the cream cannot dissolve on their own, and when they enter the genital mucosa, they become a favorable environment for the growth of harmful bacteria.
What can be used instead of intimate lubrication at home?
Clinical studies have confirmed the use of ordinary fruits instead of lubrication. It is not for nothing that the banana received its popular nickname. "Female joy"! It is banana and water that will help if your favorite lubricant is over. Lubrication is prepared as follows: a ripe banana is peeled, cut into pieces and chopped using a blender.
It will turn out a banana gruel. It must be placed in a small container with a lid (for this purpose a jar of cream is perfect), add a small amount of water. Natural intimate lubrication will not cause absolutely any allergic reactions, it will not irritate sensitive skin of the genitals. It will be a great moisturizer!
What is the best way to replace intimate lubrication?
Alternatively, you can use a mixture of water and starch. It can be made in a matter of minutes: a small amount of potato starch is poured with water; the resulting mixture is put on a small fire and, with occasional stirring, brought to the desired consistency. Thickened grease can only be used after it has completely cooled down.
Doctors Dermatovenerologists do not recommend strongly “getting carried away” with intimate lubricants of our own production. Their use should be treated with caution, carefully dosing all the ingredients. Otherwise, you can cause irreparable harm to health, cause an allergic reaction. When using natural lubricants during intimacy, experts advise especially carefully "listening" to the body’s reaction to such a lubricant. If you experience unpleasant sensations, then it is best to hurry to see a doctor!