How Can You Replace The Line On The Trimmer
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
In this instruction, we will walk through the entire replacement process step by step. Going forward, there are two ways to line the trimmer spool. There is no fundamental difference, the difference lies in the fact that in the first case one line will be refueled, folded in half, and in the second there will be two such lines.
Method 2 two segments
Two coiled line pieces
Method # 2 is fundamentally no different from method # 1. The only difference is that there are two winding line pieces instead of one.
The end of each segment is folded
The end of each segment is folded.
Two special fixing sockets
There are two special fixing sockets on the coil (see picture above).
We start reeling the line
They cling to it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order
The winding must be carried out in the following order: first the lower line, i.E. The one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the top one, i.E. The one that will overlap the bottom section.
The bottom line is reeling
The tips are made into the holes in the trimmer spool body. They are pulled until they click, which means that the line has come out of the clips.
The tips are threaded into the holes in the trimmer spool body
The coil is fastened into the body. The line in the spool has been replaced.
The line in the spool has been replaced
Preparing for replacement
We disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the lawn mower. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It doesn’t take long.
We disassemble the trimmer spool, it is held by the latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort to do this with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring case
- Cover with locking latches
- Reel with button
The principle of operation is as follows. By pressing the button, the spool presses on the spring and comes out of the locking grooves in the spool cap. Holding in this state, the reel can be twisted, thereby adjusting the length of the line. When the button is released, the body spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Disassembled trimmer spool
On the bottom of the reel there are several holes for different diameters of the lines. They may differ from trimmer manufacturer. In some cases (like here) they are signed, in others they are not.
These holes are needed to fix the line when replacing it. After winding the fishing line on the bobbin, the ends of the latter are inserted into them. This is necessary so that the scaffold does not unwind when the coil is installed in the trimmer body. In other words, it makes it easier to change the line.
Holes for fixing the line
There are models without specifying the diameter of the consumable. Then, in order to find out what the maximum diameter of the scaffold can be used, it is tried on along the holes for the outlet of the fishing line from the trimmer spool body (see Figure below).
Fitting on the holes of the line output
The reel has two line sections separated by a baffle. They may not exist. They are needed only to delimit and facilitate the winding of the consumable.
Two sections for line
First, they are determined with the required length of the loess. The latter is wound into one of the sections of the coil so that it does not go beyond its limits. In this case, 3 mm was wound, the length turned out to be about 2 meters. THOSE. For two sections, you need a 4 meter segment, this is for the 1st method. For the second method, you need two segments of 2 meters each.
Determining the required line length
Now you need to figure out which way you need to wind it. To do this, many trimmer manufacturers apply special designations to the spools, such as in the figure below.
Special designation on the reel
If no such designations were found, then you need to pay attention to the spool body. There is necessarily an arrow that indicates the movement of the mowing head. The line is wound in the opposite direction.
Bobbin case designation
: How to wind the line around the trimmer cutter head or lawn mowers. The first way
Line bent in half
The prepared segment (in this case, it is 4 meters) is bent approximately in half, one segment should be 15-20 cm longer, and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing wall.
The line is inserted into the slot
The line is wound in the direction determined earlier. This is done in an interference fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs that do not provide for dividing the coil into two sections. This does not change anything, the line is wound in a similar way. You just need to make sure that the segments do not overlap with each other.
The first should end the segment that is located at the bottom of the coil, i.E. The one that is closer to the fixing holes.
This tip fits into the corresponding hole in diameter. The line is securely fixed.
The line is securely fixed
A long segment is wound another half turn. There he is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long segment is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool body.
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool body
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled up with effort so that the fishing lines previously fixed in the holes of the reel jump out from there. It is easily identified by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the line pull up with effort
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing.
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing
The line was changed successfully. In this case, you need to put it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, there is no need to remove the spool from the trimmer, this was done to clarify the process of replacing the fishing line. You can disassemble the spool in place, wind it on the spool and put it back.
Line replacement completed successfully
Tips so that they do not hit on the trimmer cover can and should be trimmed.
How to wind line around the trimmer head or lawn mowers
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
Feedback from our readers is very important for us. Leave your rating in the comments with the reasoning for your choice. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
Step 1: remove the trimmer head cover
At the first stage of disassembly, the trimmer head cover is removed. In the example of Black and Decker trimmers and others, to remove the cover, it is usually enough to apply some pressure to depress the locking latch that is located on the side of the head body.
On some models of lawn mowers, it is initially planned to dismantle the trimmer head, for which the hex key included in the tool kit is used. The head is usually held in place by two to three screws, which are accessed through the side holes of the rear bezel.
The head cover, where the line spool is installed, is usually held by a latch-tongue. It is enough to squeeze the latch tab with some effort and turn the cover slightly, after which the cover can be easily removed
At the moment of squeezing out the locking tab, you need to slightly turn and lift the trimmer head cover to remove the winding drum.
Step two: winding cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the line around the reel, being careful. It is necessary that each half is filled with its own winding, evenly, without intersections. Usually, arrows can be seen on the body of the winding reel indicating the direction of winding. This point should be borne in mind when filling the reel with fishing line.
Step three: complete the head assembly
Pull out the ends of the line through a pair of oval spool slots. Replace both washers and the spring (if any) with the supplied new parts. Bend both ends of the line at right angles.
The final technical touch of the line change process on the trimmer is the imposition of the cap on the head, followed by fixation by pressing force and slight twisting.
Pass each end into the hole in the base of the winding drum. Install the coil in the inner area of the head, resting on the spring. Put on the cover, align with the base and lightly press downwards with a small counterclockwise rotation, place the cover on the tabs of the clips. This completes the replacement procedure.
How to replace the trimmer line?
Replacing the trimmer line with step-by-step instructions will allow even an inexperienced lawn mower owner to perform a rather difficult job.
However, before starting work on changing the line on the trimmer, you must ensure the safety of the work. In particular, protective measures should be taken to prevent unintentional or unintentional starting of the mower:
- Eliminate spontaneous launch,
- Remove battery (if applicable),
- Place the tool in a place convenient for work.
It is convenient to work on replacing the trimmer line when the mower is lying on the table, and the foreman, who replaces the trimmer line, has the opportunity to approach the tool from either side.
Replacing the trimmer line: step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer line
Home Replacing the trimmer line: step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer line
Trimmers (they are also lawn mowers) are actively used by modern society to care for lawns and other similar objects of horticultural farms. The tool is noted for its high efficiency, despite the questionable quality of cutting the grass (compared to the usual peasant scythe land and sky). The main advantage of trimmers (lawn mowers) is high productivity with low expenditure of physical forces of the operator. However, over time, the trimmer’s cutting element (nylon scaffolding) wears out or gets damaged, making the trimmer a useless tool as a result. Hence, the task of how to replace the trimmer head becomes urgent and how to replace the trimmer head line? Let’s consider this process using the example of lawn mowers manufactured by Black and Decker and others.
Instruction: replacing the trimmer line
The above explains (using the example of the design of an electric and gasoline lawn mower) how to replace the line in the trimmer. The use of different types of cutting material for cutting grass is noted. The complete process of changing the cutting material in each section of the winding drum is clearly demonstrated.
How to wind the line on the trimmer correctly
A garden trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private house owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents get stumped on how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Changing the line on the trimmer
This article will tell you how to change the line on the trimmer. For some people, this job may not be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the curly lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when loosening.
Next, disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the cover is fixed with latches through the holes. So you just need to push these clips into the holes and the cover will come off. If the attachment has automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside, which can simply fly out when the lid is opened, be prepared for this. We lay out all the removed parts neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the fishing line and unwind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind a line of greater thickness on the unit than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and a greater fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes these are not notches, but holes located opposite each other. With a loop we cling to one of the notches and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reel has 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the line on them separately. Leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recesses of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the lid, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out these loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget about reverse rotation on screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your lawn mower is ready for use again.
Auto feed trimmer: how to wind the line into the removable spool
In some models of trimmers, a reel is installed, the line in which is refilled automatically. It is enough for the owner to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, the mechanism will perform all the winding manipulations on its own.
How to quickly and easily remove the coil with your own hands
Before replacing the old line with a new one in the detachable trimmer spool, you must remove the head.
The process is completely simple, even beginners can do the job:
- Remove the upper fixing cover.
- Remove the removable spool.
- Get the spring out, if any.
- Unscrew the bolt with a screwdriver.
- Remove the housing from the shaft.
What are the trimmers and features of their use
The trimmer is useful for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between flower beds and along paths. Today manufacturers produce a wide variety of gasoline, electric and battery models, which can be selected for any owner’s request.
A fishing line is used as a cutting element of the trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will end, and then the owner will have a question of how to properly replace and fix the thread tucked into a removable coil.
How to wind the line correctly: replacement features depending on the type of removable trimmer coil
To figure out how to tuck the line into the removable trimmer head, the following recommendations and instructions will help.
Before putting on the line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the section of the cord:
- Round thread is the most common option. They cut the grass perfectly even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is not suitable for old thickets;
- A cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- Line with a variety of geometric sections will help to mow the lawn more evenly, but the durability of the consumable is low.
The owner of the lawn mower should know that it is absolutely forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.
Before you wind the thread on the trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. The most commonly used line is 2 mm.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See the recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions for the trimmer.
- Manufacturers often apply cross section information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the reel hole.
Method 2 how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with a photo description and
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. Manufacturers use this method, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the mowing line is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. The instruction is presented below.
Learning to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel and lawn mowers installation instructions
Private home owners know how essential a trimmer tool is. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, before threading the trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. A reel or aiming device is a device that is located inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other
- After that, you can proceed to dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, such as grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grasp it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. Below is a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable made of nylon that serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2 to 2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3 , 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Method 1 how to wind the line correctly or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the amount of line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the equipment inside the coil until it is aligned with the side projections. In this case, the equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the rig used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, the piece of line that was prepared to be installed in the reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. The direction of winding should be indicated on it (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have a designation, as in the example above WIND LINE, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following: place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, pulling the ends of the line, disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- This completes the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the spool about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.