How long can you mow with a trimmer without interruption
Lawn mower and trimmer. Than to mow the grass?
If we are talking about a new site where the lawn has not yet been cultivated, then you will have to deal with vegetation with tough stems. A lawn mower cannot cope with it. You need a tool on the bar. a lawn mower (someone calls it a trimmer or lawn mower). For the initial processing of the site, it is better to use a model in which you can choose both a fishing line and a metal knife as a cutting tool. With its help, you will quickly put the site in order.
Regular mowing will gradually change the composition of the grass. and then you can switch to wheeled vehicles. a lawn mower. It is more convenient and easier to work with it, and the haircut is smooth and beautiful. But the lawn mower does not lose its relevance: we will mow the lawn with it near bushes, flower beds or elements of landscape architecture.
The named tools are electric corded, gasoline and cordless.
Electric (with wire)
Both pioneers and pensioners cope with such a tool. everything is simple and understandable. But inconveniences may arise with it.
- The wire makes it difficult to work, especially on complex lawns.
- You can only mow at a distance from the outlet, limited by the length of the wire.
- The engine can fail from power surges (and they are not uncommon in summer cottages).
- The declared power does not correspond to the real one. it only speaks about how much money will be needed to pay for a certain operating time with this unit. In addition, it is impossible to achieve high power with a household voltage of 220 V.
- The tool does not forgive mistakes in care. It requires careful observance of the instructions for preparation for storage, otherwise the residues of grass in the mechanism will prey and oxidize the contacts.
Just 10 years ago, such gardening equipment was perceived as a fad for the rich: after all, the batteries themselves were expensive, short-lived, gave out a voltage of no more than 18 volts, quickly discharged and took a very long time to charge. But since 2012, powerful lithium-ion batteries with a voltage of 36 volts have entered the market, and since then more and more battery technology has been sold every year. All information listed in this article refers to mowers with just such batteries.
Good 36 volt batteries allow continuous operation for about 1 hour (like a gasoline model with a full tank), charge in 50 minutes and are able to survive at least 1500 charge / discharge cycles. Some companies offer to use several tools for different purposes and just one battery that fits any of them.
Lawn and lawn mowers of this type combine the best qualities of other mowers, but do not have their disadvantages. They are easy to handle, do not depend on the proximity of electrical outlets and are not burdened with wires. In terms of efficiency, battery mowers are not inferior to gasoline units, but they work much quieter, without exhaust and do not require the hassle of gasoline.
- Their biggest drawback is the price.
Such models are suitable if we need a mobile unit that is not tied to the presence or absence of electricity and with good performance. Contrary to popular belief, most people can work with them. even those who have never owned a car or motorcycle. Such a tool has its own characteristics.
- Gasoline required.
- Very noisy.
- There are vulnerable parts in a gasoline engine that must never be forgotten: the air filter, fuel filter, and spark plug. During operation, it is important to follow the instructions exactly.
A unit from an unknown company can cost 2–4 times cheaper than a product made by a renowned manufacturer. A reasonable question arises: is it worth paying so much for a beautiful inscription on the side of the instrument? Let’s list the “pitfalls” of inexpensive garden equipment “know-name”.
Weight 7 kilograms, power 1.1 l / s., Mowing width 26 cm, tank size 0.7 l, average cost 7 thousand rubles;
Principle of operation
In order to lay out the entire trimmer system on the shelves, it is rational to divide the device into its 3 components: motor, drive components and control concept.
Petrol trimmers are difficult and cumbersome, and for this reason, manufacturers are extremely thoughtful about the organization of management. In order to remove the load from the hands, a shoulder strap is taken into account. The user’s hands control the barbell due to the bicycle-style handle. It is able to adjust the height of the boom, which is very comfortable. In this version of the device, the motor is placed behind the user, and the cutting component very simply rushes in the right direction to the required height.
The most important control components are the throttle and clutch triggers. They are located on the right handle and mate with the clutch attachments.
But what the petrol interskol trimmer looks like and how it can be used is indicated here.
The principle of operation of any type of gasoline trimmer is similar (about the types of trimmer will be described below). At one end of the trimmer there is a working part in the form of a screw-shaped knife, fishing line. At the other end there is a tank for fuel with oil and buttons for control. For the work of a gasoline trimmer, the composition of fuel and oil is used. When the device is filled with gasoline, the start buttons on the control panel are pressed and in a similar way, the trimmer activates the cutting element.
The video shows a gasoline grass trimmer:
One of the trimmer functions is the practical starting of the motor with a special spring starter. Numerous modifications of the device allow changing the attachments, which positively affects the effective operation of the device, especially for owners of areas with a high vegetation rate.
An important element of the device is the anti-vibration system, which reduces the stress on the joints of the shoulder and hand. It is very bad when there is no such function in the device, because during the work the person will quickly get tired and the limbs will hurt. But what is the best gasoline grass trimmer and by what parameters to choose it, this information will help to understand.
Weight 7.4 kilograms, power 1.7 l / s., Mowing width 25 cm, average cost 7 thousand rubles;
Stihl FS 45
Weight 4.1 kg, power 1 l / s., Tank size 0.3 l, average cost 13 thousand rubles;
Weight 6.5 kilograms, power 1 l / s., Tank size 0.6 l, mowing width 40 cm, average cost 8 thousand rubles;
Stihl FS service station
Weight 5.8 kilograms, power 1.4 l / s., Tank size 0.53 l, average cost 33 thousand rubles.
But how to use ammonia from aphids on roses and how effective this remedy is.
Power 2 l / s., Tank size 1 l, mowing width 40 cm, average cost 25 thousand rubles;
Purpose of the trimmer head (trimmer spool, mowing head, trimmer spool)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, poles, bushes, between tree stumps and other obstacles.
- To mow grass out of the reach of a lawnmower.
- To selectively cut thin grass and weeds before mowing a plot for hay.
- To cut the weeds in the garden bed between the plants.
- To chop the tops of potatoes in the garden before digging.
- To completely remove grass and weeds, for example from paths.
- To sweep (creates an air vortex from high rpm of the trimmer line).
How to use the trimmer
- Get your trimmer ready for use. If you have a petrol trimmer, check if there is fuel in the tank. If you have an electric trimmer, plug in the plug and check if there is enough extension cord to the farthest corners of the area to be mowed. If you have a cordless trimmer. check if the battery is charged.
- Hold the trimmer as close to the ground as possible to find the best position even before you start moving.
- Turn on the trimmer (press the throttle button) and start mowing, moving the trimmer evenly from side to side and taking a small step forward, thereby cutting the grass and moving forward. Mow the grass.
- Stones in the path of the trimmer will significantly accelerate the wear of the trimmer line, which will require more frequent line changes. How to use the trimmer.
- If you notice that the grass has become smaller and poorly cut when you mow it, then the line is worn out, it has become shorter and it needs to be released more from the trimmer head.
– Most trimmers have a button under the trimmer head and to release the line you need to press the trimmer head on the ground and the line in semi-automatic mode, under the action of centrifugal force, will jump out of the trimmer head to the required length (will be unrolled from the reel in the trimmer head).
– For other trimmers, the line must be pulled out of the trimmer head by hand. To do this, you need to stop, turn off the trimmer, turn the trimmer with the cutting equipment towards you and pull the line from the trimmer head to the required length with your hands.
– Usually the line extends to a length of one mustache 15-20 cm (cutting strip 30-40 cm in diameter) depending on the trimmer model and trimmer head. Excessively released line is cut against the cut-off knife in the plastic trimmer guard.
- Stop for a few minutes if you feel even a little tired. Although trimming is not the hardest job, if you overwork, your back and arms will ache for several days. If you have back problems, wear a stanchion so that mowing with the trimmer is not hard.
- Do not use the trimmer to cut the grass to the ground. If you mow the grass like this, the trimmer head will be clogged with soil, there will be a lot of line consumption, and the lawn, yard or area will not look very beautiful. It is necessary to mow so that the stubble has a height of about 5 cm, and the surface is as flat as possible. Then you can turn off the trimmer and finish the job.
Warnings on how to use the trimmer
A trimmer, like a wood chopper, chainsaw or garden tractor, is unwise to use for what it is not intended for.
Keep the trimmer away from you to avoid cutting off your toes or legs.
Do not cut with a trimmer in water or wet grass. If you have an electric trimmer, you can get an electric shock. If you have a petrol trimmer, you can pollute water and grass with fuel and exhaust fumes.
You will need things to mow the grass
- Trousers. Preferably sturdy work jeans with no holes. You can mow grass anywhere, so if your legs are not protected, you will soon feel how several thousand ants are crawling along your legs and biting you. Sometimes the weed can scratch to the blood or lash hard, thrown back by the trimmer on the mower.
- Gloves are fingerless, leather, it doesn’t matter. If you mow without gloves, by the end of the mow you will not be able to move even your little finger without pain. The weight of the grass presses on the hands through the trimmer and abrasions and abrasions will appear on the hands if they were not wearing protective gloves.
- Safety glasses. you cannot mow the grass with your eyes closed because small pieces of grass fly into your face. One good eye contact will convince you that safety glasses are a must. This refers to one of the main rules of how to use the trimmer.
- Have an adequate amount of drinking water on hand. Even if you think it won’t be hot, think again. You need to cut grass with a vibrating trimmer for a long time.
- Have spare line or trimmed head to replace if run out.
- If you have an electric trimmer, you must have an extra extension cord. If you have a petrol trimmer, you must have a supply of fuel.
- Rake to rake cut grass or weeds.
- A hat if you work in the sun.
- High boots (it is better to tuck the pants into the boots).
- If you plan to work at dusk or later, make sure you have insect spray and a flashlight.
The trimmer head (mowing head or trimmer reel) has a high performance when mowing grass because it is lighter for a metal knife and has a larger grip diameter. 45 cm, versus 25 cm for a hay knife.
How to mow a lawn
- Make sure the mower is set to the correct cutting height before mowing. Different types of grass require different cutting heights. Determine the type of grass on your lawn before setting the cutting height on the mower.
- Keep the mower in good technical condition. Even if you do not use your lawn mower, it is important to keep it in good working order throughout the year. Just like in a car, you need to be confident. that all parts of your lawnmower are working correctly before you start mowing the lawn. If the mower blades are not sharpened, it can damage your lawn, leaving some of the grass uncut and susceptible to disease.
- Try to mow the grass when it’s not too hot outside. It is best to mow when there is morning dew on the grass. High temperatures can be very dangerous and must always be taken into account.
- Check for debris on the lawn. Before mowing the lawn, it is important to check for debris in the grass, any debris can damage the mower. You need to make two passes along the edge of the lawn. Don’t forget to block the aisles.
- You should try to mow the same area every time in the opposite direction. If this is not done, the lawn may be badly worn or damaged in some places.
- Use the trimmer to trim the grass around flower beds, trees, and wherever the mower cannot reach, to the same height as the mower (the trimmer can also be called a lawn mower, lawn mower, brush cutter or electric mower). Mow the grass. When mowing with a trimmer, you must be careful not to damage the bark of trees and not to hit the ground with the trimmer.
- It is necessary to alternate the direction of mowing along and across, up and down, in different cross directions of the lawn. But remember that you can only mow with the lawn mower by pushing it forward and in no case should you pull the mower towards you. It may be unsafe.
Remember to keep an eye on your surroundings while mowing (and turning) !:
- Turn off the engine and remove the headphones to detect gestures from others.,
- So that children, animals, spectators and assistants do not come closer than 15 m, because when a metal knife collides with a stationary object in the grass, the trimmer or lawn mower (lawn mower) can be strongly thrown to the side or turned back, and the trimmer knife rotates at a speed of up to 10,500 rpm. and he is able to cut off an arm or a leg.
Also, when mowing grass with a trimmer, various objects (rubble, glass, debris) can fly out and ricochet out from under the knife.
EASY Method // Weed Eat Around Chain Link Fence
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto the previously mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out the reverse motion, due to which you will remove all the remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from below, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then return back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted on the site, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time not loading the devices. By mowing the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, ensuring faster and easier processing.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, then immediately turn off the mechanism so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly care for the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you correctly observe safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
How to cut tall grass with a line trimmer
It is advisable to cut tall grass in your garden with a powerful trimmer using thick fishing line. But many, most likely, will agree that in most cases, where the weeds are located, the ground will certainly be uneven, as a result of which the owners of such garden plots have different debris and all kinds of stones. To prevent your expensive device (trimmer) from breaking down the mow of tall grass, it is best and faster to mow in two passes. Those. First of all, we cut the entire top of the grass, identify more difficult mowing areas and go through the mower a second time.
When you are going to harvest the grass (using a trimmer) for hay, and you are more or less versed in the area of your plot, then you can predict the course of the mowing of the grass in advance. this will be faster, more convenient and easier for you. The main thing in such a situation is not to rush to mow, but to approach business competently with a “cool head”.
How to mow with a line trimmer
Mowing with a line mower is much safer than a trimmer equipped with a cord, but this is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) must be selected based on the garden area and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a line lawnmower in automatic or semi-automatic and manual mode. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line) is thrown out after each start of the device motor. On the one hand, it is very convenient, but on the other hand, it is not very economical, for example, your garden plot is of a non-standard shape. there are uneven corners, notches and with each next transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device and then turn it on again. In this case, it is best to use the second, semi-automatic option. This is when the line is fed in the trimmer by pressing a special button located at the very bottom of the drum (in the cutting area). You just need to press the tip to the ground and the line will be thrown out.
If you are an operator, you should understand that the length of the ends of the cutting element (line), which is located on the drum in an extended (working) condition, should not exceed 15 cm.It is this length that should be enough for the average power of grass trimmers.
What you need to do to properly, easily and quickly mow the grass with a trimmer with a line in order for the device itself to serve you much longer than usual.
- Try to keep the main drum (spool) at least 5 cm off the ground.
- When mowing taller grass, mow the top first, and only then get close to the stalks to protect your device from breakage and prevent damage to the mower.
- In the process of mowing grass, it is imperative to introduce the cutting element (trimmer) in which the coil rotates in the direction.
- The lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden area as a decoration, is best mowed using only the edges of the line so as not to overload the engine and not wear it out too much.
- Every 15-20 minutes worked, let the device “rest”.
Preparing the trimmer for work
Depending on what kind of trimmer you have, you still need to prepare it before starting work. If the trimmer is electric, we need to charge it, or turn it on to the 220 Volt network and start working like that. If you are using the grass trimmer with petrol fuel, fill the tank. Prepare and check the cutting element depending on the design. It will not be superfluous to check the safety of the trimmer. When working with the device, it must be hung on the body and hold onto the handles correctly. Use protective goggles or a special mesh (protective) helmet during beveling.
Under the hay
Use a disc as a cutting element because meadow vegetation is tougher than usual. It is better than fishing line specifically for hay in that it cuts through dry grass better. This way, the grass will not get stuck on the line, which could result in poor engine performance. The hay does not need to be cut small, it should be quite tall, so try to cut the hay at the root.
How to put on and hold correctly?
The quality of your work also depends on what technique you use. For proper technique, you must be able to hold the unit, and for convenience, put it on correctly. This is because not all trimmers are equipped with a shoulder strap. If you have one, then you need to put it on so that you feel comfortable. There are models of devices, the belt of which can be uncomfortable, so try to put on the trimmer as conveniently as possible.
During long work, it also happens that pains in the back and muscles occur, so the most conveniently worn tool can reduce the number of such troubles.
Another function is to adjust this belt. On higher quality models, its convenience was given a special role and special positions were made that will allow the scythe driver not to experience inconvenience. You can adjust the belt in height, choosing the one you need.
Now let’s talk about how to properly hold the unit. Different types of trimmers have different handles. For some, it is made in the form of a bicycle handlebar (which ensures the distribution of the load on both hands). On some units, you can see the handle in the shape of the letter D. The bicycle version must be held with both hands, and firmly.
Despite the presence of rubberized handles, it is better to rely on yourself and not hope that they will not slip. Hold the D-shaped handle with one hand and palm to provide a wider grip. This will give you full control of the stick, which will have a positive impact on handling.
In order to mow the lawn efficiently and quickly, you need to follow the technique and know some features that will save you time and effort. You can work faster, now we’ll tell you how.
Divide your site into zones. This will help you understand how much you need to accomplish. Also, you will have no delusions about whether you have already worked here and whether you are not going through the second time. For the first time in the seasons, the lawn is mowed at a level of 4-5 cm, gradually decreasing to 3-4. Set the mowing rate yourself. You can leave more, less. It all depends only on you.
The disadvantage of electric trimmers is that if you mow vegetation during dew, then water can get into the motor of your equipment.
If the motor is located underneath, the likelihood of moisture ingress will be even higher. It is also not recommended to work with the trimmer in the rain all for the same reasons. Water ingress can cause a short circuit, which in the future may develop into a malfunction of the unit. Therefore, it is better to wait for more favorable weather for work.
It is recommended to work clockwise. It is this direction that will leave the grass cut by you on the outside of the entire mowed area. Hold the coil no lower than 5 centimeters during operation. This is a safe mowing option that will work well for those new to this type of tool. When it comes to working near a fence or other places where you only need to mow a small part, use the edge of the line. This will help ensure that the engine does not overload and wear out.
Mowing tall grass
This requires special attention. Tall grass needs more careful processing than simple grass. The fact is that there is an effect of winding the vegetation onto a coil. In this case, the grass remains on it and prevents the mechanism from rotating at full power. This significantly slows down the process and reduces the number of revolutions.
To prevent this from happening, go through the path in several stages. Gradually cut a certain amount down the height, going down and down the stem.
As a rule, the base of the stem is much thicker and stronger in tall greenery, so in addition to winding, you can damage the cutting element with hard stems.
It should also be borne in mind that if your technique is working recently, then mowing tall grass can be even more difficult. Therefore, do not work for a long time, so as not to overload the motor. It will be enough 15-20 minutes with a break of 15 minutes. Since it is better to mow the grass in several stages, do not forget about the grass catcher. It will start to clog very quickly and this will lead to problems with the instrument. Clean thoroughly so that it doesn’t take too long before the next cleaning.
The general rules of use should definitely be reminded to those who are thinking for the first time about how to remove grass with a trimmer and do not yet know how to use it. It is these foundations that will help you start cleaning your site with high quality.
Among summer residents, there is a tendency to use trimmers more and more often, because, unlike lawn mowers, they allow you to remove grass in hard-to-reach places, and professional models can even help you process tree branches. Another advantage of the trimmer is the ability to work at height and cut branches, which can also greatly help in cleaning on your territory.
NEVER BUY WEEDEATER STRING AGAIN!!! WHO_TEE_WHO
Remove foreign objects from the grass. Make sure the grass is free of stones, ropes, steel or other hard materials before working. If hit, the cutting element may be damaged, it will be necessary to repair or replace it.
Check and inspect all trimmer parts before starting work. Make sure the trimmer works. Since they are electric and gasoline, you will need to organize their work depending on the type of equipment. Electric should be plugged into the power supply and charged if it is not charged, and gasoline should be refueled, if required.
Let the trimmer run in for the first time. If you bought a new device, then you need to let it run for a few minutes without load in order for the motor, knives, fishing lines, and rotating elements to start. This can be called a kind of warm-up for the equipment, in addition, it can help prevent some troubles before direct work, because the assembly and quality of garden equipment are different.
The trimmer motor must be run in beforehand. Running in a gasoline engine is as follows: turn on the trimmer at idle, but first at a low number of revolutions, and then increase their number.
Running in an electric trnimmer includes several stages.
- To get started, start and work with the trimmer for a short time, literally 5 minutes.
- Then you can increase the running time up to 10 minutes, but you need to monitor the motor so that it does not overheat.
- After a few trials of the electric trimmer, you can use it on a permanent basis. Do not forget about the engine cooling system, which is available as an additional function on some models.
If you do not know which type of mowing is best to start with, then it is better to try mowing a low lawn with fishing line. This will allow the engine to come into operation smoothly. No need to immediately load it with a large amount of work.
To create a level lawn surface, try to process the greenery with gardening equipment as low as possible. So all the grass will be the same height, which will make the coating even and beautiful. Don’t forget to tilt. For best results, tilt the device at least 30 degrees towards the grass surface. This will cut the grass as low as possible. Any other irregularities can be removed with garden shears, if any.
How to properly cut grass with a trimmer?
In the midst of the summer season, people who have their own plots have a problem. It lies in the fact that after winter and spring, grass and other vegetation grows very quickly in these areas. Today we will consider options for mowing grass. For example, it is better to disassemble ordinary trimmers, since they provide a person with more scope for action due to direct movement with this technique, and they are relatively inexpensive.
Before using the technique, it will be advisable for you to read the instructions from the manufacturer itself and familiarize yourself with the general functions and structure of the trimmer. The functions should be located on the control stick. Understanding the building blocks and components is helpful in the sense that you know how you can and should handle it. Select the load for the motor, work for the cutting elements. all this will be useful to you during operation.
Pay attention to the following points.
- First of all, it is technique. She has malfunctions and breakdowns. Before work, carefully check all the components of your technique, because mowing the lawn with such tools is an important matter. You need to check the filters (if necessary, clean), the fuel level, cutting elements (it is better to take the knives to the master in case of a malfunction), the engine and other parts. This can be done after work, but some manufacturers recommend before it.
- Some trimmers have a motor cooling and vibration damping system, but they are not present everywhere. Therefore, watch out for the heating of the motor during operation, because overheating can lead to problems. Occasionally draw your attention to bolts and other items. Although the extinguishing system can work, but on some representatives of garden assistants, the paper clips are still gradually unwound, in the end it will lead to breakage.
- Sometimes it also happens that the turnover falls. In this case, first check all filters and then try to work. Testing technique is much better before direct action.
- If parts are broken, it is better to contact a technical center. Do not try to repair the equipment yourself, as this can only accelerate the breakdown. Mechanics have a complete understanding of this technique, you better trust them.
How to work with the trimmer correctly, see below.