How much fishing line to reel on a Stihl Trimmer
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for a long time, for some owners of private houses it is still a novelty. That is why often questions arise about how to properly wind a line on an electric or gas trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly to achieve the desired result. Moreover, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers give an answer to this urgent question. Study the article and find out how the line is wound around the reel of the trimmer.
The procedure for winding fishing line on the trimmer reel
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working nozzles. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of fishing line – this point should be considered when purchasing supplies.
So, how do you charge the fishing line into the trimmer coil? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press your fingers on the two latches located on opposite sides of the slots, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: the reels with automatic line feed have a spring, which can forcefully drop the lid along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the fishing line. To do this, rewind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold in half.
- Hook the middle of the fishing line into an existing recess or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually applied to the body of the trimmer coil (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided reel: in this case, the fishing line should be wound in different directions: one end – in one direction, the other – in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be brought into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave the loose ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be drum assembly. Replace the washers and spring. On the upper ring of the reel there are two recesses where you need to fill the antenna line of the fishing line. Pass them through the holes and install the reel in the drum, trying to tighten the fishing line and not displace the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess fishing line will be cut off by the cutting blade itself.
As you can see, it is easy to wind the line onto the reel of the trimmer: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will be useful to you when choosing a fishing line, its winding and subsequent work:
- Fishing line is of different thickness and with different cross-section. The best option for winding is the "native" for this model of fishing line;
- Never use a fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawn mower, but also others;
- The fishing line is cut off when the working trimmer comes into contact with solid objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the fishing line onto the reel;
- Use a straight line for mowing grass and a pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not be permanently cut.
Video: How much fishing line to reel on a Stihl Trimmer
Each owner of a personal plot or house lawn sooner or later thinks about the problem of cleaning grass. To cope with this task, today’s summer residents are helped by a manual lawn mower or trimmer. The working part of such a tool is a spinning reel, which cuts off unnecessary grass with a fishing line. Everything seems to be simple, but not every amateur gardener knows how to wind a fishing line on a trimmer reel. Oddly enough, manufacturers often forget to raise this issue in the instruction manual.
Trimmers are different
To understand how to wind a fishing line on a reel of a trimmer, you first need to deal with the tool itself: what kind of company, how it works, how it works and what spare parts you need for repair. To begin with, the trimmers are divided into gasoline and electric, and they can have a knife and fishing line as cutting elements. There are 3 modifications of trimmers:
- With fishing line and knives having 2–4 blades;
- Only with knives;
- Only with fishing line.
Of course, craftsmen can improve anything and sometimes they tuck into trimmers, for example, metal wire or fishing line. But to do this categorically is not worth it – you can seriously injure yourself or others.
Types of trimmer heads
Also, the braid heads can have a different device: with automatic feed of fishing line, semi-automatic or manual. In the first case, in order to lengthen the working ends of the thread, it is necessary to slightly reduce the speed. And when you add them again, the fishing line will advance automatically. For semi-automatic devices, you need to click on the special button located below. The trimmer is optional. Just tap the scythe on the ground. The most inconvenient to work with are manual trimmers. To lengthen its working ends, the tool must be turned off and the operation performed manually.
Another reel with fishing line for the trimmer happens:
- Single-string – suitable only for cosmetic trimming of the adjacent area;
- Two-stringed – used for more serious work on cleaning the site of grass.
- A ring must be cut out of thin but durable plastic, and its inner diameter should be equal to the thickness of the core on which the fishing line is wound, and the outer one to the diameter of the reel.
- On the inner part of the ring you need to make a small recess through which the thread will be threaded.
- Next, the ring is cut, put on a coil. And the place of the cut is glued with adhesive tape or soldered with a hot knife. That’s all – now each end of the fishing line can be wound on its own part of the reel.
Choose a fishing line
Carefully look at the cross section of the fishing line, it can be round or with ribs (square, "star") Faceted thread is suitable for harvesting harder grass and weeds. However, if the grass is too stiff, it is better to use a lawn mowing knife (milling cutter).
Some types of fishing line have quite sharp edges, so in order to avoid injuries, the reel is in gloves.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel. Learn step by step
To find out how to wind the fishing line on the trimmer coil, you need to carefully examine the mowing part of the device or look into the instrument passport. The fact is that, depending on the method of refueling, trimmer coils are quick-loading and collapsible. For the first, everything is very simple. You don’t have to remove and disassemble anything, you just need to find holes for the fishing line, thread it through both ears and wind the desired number of turns, and cut off the excess.
- First, make sure that the trimmer is turned off, and if you are using a lawn mower, be sure to unscrew the candle.
- Remove the mowing head from the trimmer and disassemble it. To do this, push the latches located on the head housing fully and remove the cover.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line, and make its ends sharp. This will facilitate the work.
- Place one end of the fishing line in a special clip located in the center of the reel.
- Wind the string in the direction of the arrow indicated on the cover, while holding the thread firmly with your finger.
- Leave a free end 12-15 cm long and fasten it into the slots on the reel.
- If the mower coil of your trimmer is two-piece, do the last 4 points again. At the same time, reel the fishing line into a free section. And fix the end on the other side of the coil.
- Return the structure to the mowing head and pull out the free ends of the fishing line through special slots.
- Close the head cover and reassemble the trimmer. Your braid is ready to go again.
As you already understood, refueling fishing line into the reel of the trimmer. A simple matter, it is quite within the power of every novice summer resident. You just need to understand how your tool is designed, and do the work carefully, without rushing.