How STIHL 170 differs from 180
The saw pattern can surprise users accustomed to Soviet or Chinese saws with its simplicity and thoughtfulness.
The saw body has a characteristic coloring and angular design, which is the hallmark of the calm tool.
- The body is plastic, the crankcase is combined of metal and plastic. Both of these materials are solid, the only disappointing thing is the absence of any thermal insulation between the muffler and the plastic of the front end. Although the saw has no tendency to melt due to the low-powered motor, protection would still be helpful. The metal of the cylinder itself is durable and reliable.
- The volume of the cylinder is only 30 cubes, while it develops 1.7 liters. with., that is, the compression ratio of the engine is very good, which is facilitated by the precision machining of the cylinder and piston. The company does not declare any special technologies in this unit, however, there are enough German quality standards even without them.
- The Zama chainsaw carburetor has only one adjusting screw, which is enough for it. Made in China, however, STIHL controls the quality well, there are practically no user complaints about this site. There is an air filter in front of it, which just tends to be called primitive. this is an ordinary felt pad, it is cleaned a couple of times, and then must be replaced.
- The top cover is attached very conveniently. there are no plastic lambs, like the Chinese, and even more so three screws, like Husqvarna. Convenient and secure latch slides with a click to the side, revealing access to the candle and filter.
- The throttle grip and controls are made in such a way as to work without lifting your right hand. The trigger with the accidental pressing blocker is the same as for everyone, but the air damper control and the electronic ignition button are made in the form of a single lever. It has four positions. In the lowermost one, the air damper is closed to reduce the enrichment of the mixture when starting to cold. In order to move the flag to this point, you must press the gas, otherwise it will not work.
- The second position from the bottom is an open flap, used when the saw characteristically sneezes after a few vigorous tugging on the string. After the factory, you should “gas”, and the lever automatically slides into the working position. You can drown the saw by moving it to the uppermost position with the “0” icon. German engineers really did a great job on ergonomics: with proper skill, all operations are really done with one right hand. And so that life “does not seem like raspberries”, there is no primer here. pull the cord, gentlemen, but more energetically.
- On the right side of the saw there is a starter cover and two filler necks. Covers with internal thread and slot for a regular screwdriver. Thanks to this design, debris and sawdust are less likely to end up in oil or gasoline. There are transparent windows on the tanks, for which more than one thousand owners said thanks to the designers.
- There is no oil supply regulator. it is squeezed onto the chain automatically. However, when using regulated fluids, there are no problems with this.
- The right side of the saw just shines with two huge nuts, to which a spark plug wrench fits. STIHL products are also recognized by these nuts, especially since they do not fade over time. After removing them, we see another plus. a clutch block, the cup of which is put on with a bell inside, and only an asterisk is outside. This makes it much easier to install the chain, and the clutch is less prone to clogging and wear. The chain tension adjustment screw in the basic configuration is located on the side of the body, the screwdriver is kept along the bar. far from the most convenient option. However, as additional options, it is possible to install a side tensioner or even a keyless adjustment unit.
Concern STIHL keeps the brand of the manufacturer with a worldwide reputation
It is the custom of reputable brands to announce various technologies and “gadgets” that make it easier to work with the saw, making it more productive and safer. For the sake of fairness, it should be said that such a large-scale development is not always hidden under colorful weighty words. Sometimes this is some trifle, which, however, gives the legal right to talk about know-how.
Such developments are used in the “hundred and seventy”:
- Braking system QuickStop
In fact, it is a regular band brake of the chain. Yes, it is made with high quality and reliable, then it works, but there is nothing super-innovative in the system. Here is the QuickStop Super technology. yes, there the chain is braked when the throttle is released. But only more advanced chainsaws are equipped with it. All that remains for the MS 170 is the proven bounce-action front stick.
The handles of the model are attached to the body and crankcase through rubber damper pads. It makes no sense to argue about which is more effective. springs or rubber inserts, everyone perceives it differently. Yes, a 1.7-horsepower engine is unlikely to give out such a vibration from which your hands fall off.
- Compensator in the carburetor
Another mysterious “lotion” of Calm. It is positioned as a part that regulates the operation of the engine, and, accordingly, the fuel consumption in such a way that clogging of the air filter does not lead to problems with starting and running at idle or under load. However, not a single site has the ability to find information about the device of this part. It can be assumed that this is an additional channel that allows, if necessary, to increase the flow from the air filter, making the suction more efficient.
- Chain lubrication Ematic
The company’s marketing savvy advertisers presented the lubrication system as unique. The chain itself, the tire, the oil pump and a special bypass are working to reduce oil consumption. Everything is clear with the oil pump. even without a regulator, it works in automatic mode from the crankshaft speed through the gear system. The chain has grooves configured with a lubrication nozzle. Well, the tire has a special bearing that loses less oil and gets dirty less often.
STIHL MS 170. the little brother of the 180: slightly weaker, but more accurate
STIHL MS 170. one of the most inexpensive and compact saws on the market. In appearance, it resembles other products of the German brand, in particular, the legendary 180-ku. Let’s figure out what are the advantages of this unit and why the manufacturer brought to the market a “weakened” model of a popular version.
Differences from 180 MS
Even the tires they come with are the same length. Although 40 cm for the older model comes in the basic configuration, and in the younger model it is considered the maximum allowable size. However, the motor, even with all the reliability, is clearly weak for a tire over 35 cm.You should pay attention not to the width of the groove. the chain is thinner for the 170, 1.1 mm, and for the 180, 1.3.
The MS 180 engine itself is more powerful. 0.3 l. from. not such a big difference, but it still affects the cutting speed. As a result, we get a model the same as the one known for a long time to both amateurs and professionals, but weaker in almost all parameters and at the same time almost the same in weight.
It seems that this does not do without the laws of modern market trade: the more models a company puts on sale, the more profit it will receive. In addition, manufacturers of expensive branded products have completely different methods than factories of cheap products. If in Chinese chainsaws we often see a rich package. two chains, a container for mixing fuel, and sometimes an additional starter ratchet, then well-known models are distinguished by an extremely simple design and a very meager set of additional accessories. We are glad that at least the branded chain is still being put.
In addition, STIHL (and Husqvarna) constantly insist that a large “power” for household files is a completely unnecessary and even overhead feature. A purely European approach. We think about it according to the principle: I’ll take more. what if it comes in handy someday. In an economical and expedient Europe, they think more about the high cost of consumables and how to minimize fuel and oil gluttony. And the light STIHL 170 pulls off the hands much less.
So the main trump card of a saw that is weak at first glance is efficiency. Well, there is no point in using it for felling wood, and the manufacturer speaks about this quite clearly.
As with many other STIHL models. the MS 170 saw has a direct competitor from Husqvarna, the 120 Mark II, which replaces the 236 series. The Swede, with a similar tire length and field of application, has a gain in engine power, a loss in weight and almost complete parity in price. This is really a reason for adherents to arrange a holivar on the topic of which is better. The discreet, but no less reliable Oleo-Mac GS 35 C-14 will cost a little more, but below there is a number of Chinese saws from AL-KO BKS 38/35 to Bison PBC-380 35p. Here, the build quality is already worse, although the engines are also slightly more powerful.
Chainsaw STIHL MS 180 overview
STIHL was founded in 1926. In 1971, STIHL became the world’s best-selling chainsaw brand. Today, its offices are open in more than 160 countries around the world, and production is carried out in more than 30 locations, mainly in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the USA and China. The relocation of production to China lowered the cost and allowed the company to expand the geography of sales, the build quality improved due to the latest equipment in a brand new 40,000 m2 plant! The main reason for the postponement of the assembly of MS170, MS180, MS230 and MS250 was the ban on the production of finished products and further sales, the environmental standard of which is below Euro 5. STIHL’s new hobby-class chainsaw assembly plant is located in the Shandong province of Qingdao. The total area of 39,000 square meters, the number of employees is more than 700 people.
Technical data STIHL MS 180
ОТЗЫВЫ о Shtil ms (ШТИЛЬ) 170 и 180. Плюсы и минусы за 2 года эксплуатации Shtil ms 170.
- Power 1.5 kW / 2.0 HP;
- Weight: 3.9 kg (without fuel, oil, chain and tire);
- Sound pressure level, dB (A): 100;
- Sound power level, dB (A): 112;
- Working volume: 31.8 cm 3
- Piston diameter: 38mm.
- Rings diameter: 1.2 mm. (2 pcs.)
- Maximum power is achieved at 9000 rpm;
- Tire: 35 cm;
- Chain pitch: 3/8 ″
- Tire groove width: 1.3mm.
- Number of links: 50
- Chain markings: 63PM, 63PS, 63PMX
There are two saw modifications: standard and restyled, comfort version STIHL MS 180 C-BE. The second one differs from the first one with a significant advantage is the easy launch of ErgoStart in the name of the model classifies the letter E, this is a very important element for an inexperienced user in starting chainsaws, also for women or elderly people, after injuries, hand surgeries, etc., which is available in mind ?! Starting a new engine without a lightweight requires physical effort with a sharp start of the starting rope at the same pace without pauses, otherwise the engine overflows with fuel and restarting the chainsaw is no longer so easy, without consulting a specialist it will be difficult for you. It is impossible to fill the MS 180 C-BE chainsaw, instead of you the piston is pushed by the return spring of the trigger mechanism, this is how it looks in the diagram, position 0 is the “heart” of ErgoStart. making it easier to start.
They told about the ErgoStart system, now what does the letter B mean??
B is a quick chain adjuster, as the name implies, does not affect the starting of the saw at all, but gives an advantage in working without key use, chain tension, chain cover clamp. All this can be done without a key. used on more expensive models, electric saws, cordless saws, the diagram shows the system of this fast-acting device.
Advantages and disadvantages of STIHL 180
- The presence of a compensator (adjusting element) of the carburetor, which ensures smoother engine operation, uniform consumption of the fuel mixture.
- The chain can be pulled from the side without the need for partial disassembly.
- Convenient and quick access to the air filter for cleaning.
- Low chance of bouncing. the tool enters the tree quite easily. If a rebound nevertheless occurs, then a special brake, the handle of which is located in the upper part of the body, will press against the hand, thereby stopping the movement of the chain. This ensures increased safety when working with the tool.
- Sophisticated system of holding the saw by the handles. It is very convenient to press both buttons to start the movement of the saw with one hand, and the upper handle with a comfortable polymer coating is ideally thought out for the human anatomy.
- Amazing reliability, which has become the main factor in the popularity of the chainsaw (STIHL MS 180 is never brought for warranty repair, and current repairs, as a rule, occur after 5-10 years of use).
- The best combination of price / quality not only among the STIHL range, but in general among all chainsaws in the world.
- Minimal tool failure rate, almost no breakage in manufacturer’s recommended operation.
- Lack of warranty breakdowns.
- Light weight and maneuverability in work
- Suitable for any task in the household, and even in commerce, it has its own niche.
- With an easy start, this is generally a godsend, ideal for seniors, women, and just for comfort.
- Works on the native piston for 10 years or more under minimal operating conditions.
- Perpetual crankshaft.
- Beautiful design, high-quality cladding material.
- Quick chain tensioning system (without special tools) is available as an accessory.
- Comparing the model range MS 170, 171, 180, 181, 181 C-BE, 211 and 211 C-BE, it should be noted that the vibration level (left / right, m / s 2) is the highest among all models (despite the installed anti-vibration system ): 6.6 / 7.8 (other models have levels between 3.5 / 3.0 and 5.2 / 5.5).
- Easy start is available as built-in only for models 181 C-BE and 211 C-BE, and for model 180 it is supplied as an option. option.
- Air filter requiring frequent maintenance, must be replaced once a year (we consider this an advantage)
- Sensitive to poor fuel and dull chains (we consider this an advantage)
The combination of these indicators makes it the best-selling hand-held chainsaw in the world and in Ukraine for home and garden use.
How to distinguish a fake (review)
- On the original saw, the sticky sticker with the STIHL label is only attached to the brake lever.
- The inscription “STIHL” and the model must be embossed stamping, not a sticker, in the original recognizable font of the company.
- The serial number must be on the packaging (box), under the exhaust system (laser engraved) and on the back of the saw, indicating the model. All three must match. The number on the exhaust system is the part number, it has nothing to do with the serial number.
- All nuts with the first letter of the company logo: “S”.
- Body color. orange shtilevsky.
- The leading star has a stamped logo in the required font. The color of the asterisk is a pleasant silver metal, the fakes have dark metal.
- Branded tire: only one large hole and no holes near the sprocket (it does not require additional lubrication, and Chinese STIHL MS 180 fakes can come with an additional lubrication hole). Rivets (4 pcs) on the tire in the color of the tire itself. The engraving font on the tire to the left of the large lettering must be fully legible.
- You can distinguish a fake (and find out whose assembly) along the chain: STIHL and the letter C will be written on each link of the original product. Although now they have learned to fake it.
The casing (filter cover) the casing lock is opened only with a key, the locks are shown open and closed, today there are no fakes in the new design on the market, but they have remained in the old design in huge quantities, they are sold under the pretext of the USA assembly or Polish.
Handle frame, safety decals are only required in these colors and order. Shown below the handle is the convex part of the STIHL logo.
Embossed STIHL logo on petrol and oil tank caps
The icon and the STIHL logo are shown on the filter housing
The muffler has a logo and a badge, and the part number is 11301400615, under the muffler on the crankcase there is a unique serial number of 9 (nine) digits, starting from 81, under the serial number there is a mandatory sticker with the article, model name, barcode, and a duplicate serial number (both must match), and the last lettering is MADE BY STIHL IN CHINA (Made by STIHL in China)
The upper part of the ignition module is filled with brown dielectric resin, the wires are yellow-green and black. Factory-assembled stamp on engine.
The nuts bear the STIHL logo mark (S)
Blue factory-assembled stamp under the cover on the crankcase.
In addition to the general manufacturer, both models have a number of the same parameters. For example, they have the same size fuel and oil tanks, the same tires.
If you put both models side by side, then it will be virtually impossible for the untrained eye (read. not the manufacturer) to distinguish them. The outlines of the body are completely identical, and the engine crankcase, carburetor and muffler have the same article numbers, which allows them to be rearranged from one model to another without any damage to the device. In addition, both units are equipped with a quick chain tensioning system, which allows you not to waste time on tightening it mechanically.
What is the difference between “STIHL 170” and “STIHL 180
by Dmitry Panin 09/07/2019, 10:10 123 Views
Chainsaws of the German company STIHL have gained fame as reliable and durable devices that can work both in domestic conditions. cutting trees or harvesting firewood, and in production. There are several models of chainsaws produced under this brand, and within the framework of this material we will take a closer look at the two most popular of them: MS 170 and MS 180, identify their similarities and differences.
Chainsaw STIHL MS 180
This model is rightfully considered a model of the company’s reliability and quality. In the entire history of production. more than 15 years at the time of this writing, the company has never subjected the model to serious modifications. “STIHL 180″, as it was called in the vastness of our homeland, turned out to be virtually the perfect saw. Due to the optimal proportions, the tool is quite versatile, suitable for both cutting small branches and cutting wide parts (firewood, wood building materials).
Reference! Most STIHL 180 malfunctions are most often caused by the use of low-quality oil or fuel. In order for the tool to serve as long as possible, the manufacturer recommends using only the “consumables” specified in the technical documentation for the device.
It is quite convenient to work with “Calm 180” thanks to the ergonomic handles and the small weight of the tool. the saw weighs only 3.8 kg. The saw engine is a two-stroke, carburetor, with a working volume of 31.8 cubic meters. cm.
Chainsaw STIHL MS 170
STIHL 170 has also proved itself well in the domestic and foreign markets. The mass of the equipped tool reaches 3.9 kilograms. The model is “powered” by a fuel-oil mixture, and has a working volume of the engine of 30.1 cubic meters. see with a gas tank volume of 250 ml. Despite the fact that the device belongs to the household class, it is often used in small construction.
Reference! During operation, the device produces up to 109 dB of noise, so it is unlikely that it will work for her to work after 11 pm without the risk of waking up the neighbors.
How is the STIHL MS 180 different from the MS 170
The main criterion that determines the difference between the STIHL 170 and STIHL 180 saws is the power of the installed motor. Model “STIHL 180” is more powerful than its counterpart by 0.3 horsepower.
Reference! In addition to the differences in the design and power of the engine, the “one hundred and eightieth” also weighs about 100 grams less than the MS 170.
If you look into the cylinders of the internal combustion engines of both models, you can understand that they also have structural differences. The saw engine with index 170 has a cylinder diameter, albeit slightly (by 0.1 mm), but less than that of MS 180.
Market rules are such that a more powerful product, all other things being equal, gets a higher price than a less powerful one. This happened with the tools we are considering, and if the MS 170 has unconditional advantages over the MS 180, then the first in this list will be the price advantage.
Both saws, however, remain an excellent example of German quality garden appliances, and the difference between them becomes significant only in rare cases when working with particularly “difficult” material.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a STIHL chainsaw with a decompression valve, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will be set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
A saw with a decompression valve, whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to relieve the cranking force of the engine. This will significantly increase the service life of the starter and reduce the number of torn laces, since it is installed on chainsaws with a large cylinder volume and, accordingly, compression.
We start STIHL MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the STIHL MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold.
The instruction for starting this model of the STIHL chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting STIHL 180 and follows the same algorithm.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such Комментарии и мнения владельцев can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long period of inactivity.
The fact is that a successful start after downtime must be taken care of in advance and the saw should be properly prepared for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
How to start a STIHL chainsaw
All STIHL chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, allowing you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may differ slightly.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
We start STIHL 180
In order to start the STIHL 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the STIHL 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the STIHL 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the air damper opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher rpm due to the throttle valve being as open as possible. To set the damper to idle mode, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The STIHL MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, is not equipped with any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start STIHL 180. The video reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s Комментарии и мнения владельцев allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
Getting Started STIHL MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the STIHL 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
What happens at the moment of priming fuel with primer, and how it helps to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumped fuel into the carburetor.
A pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
Many owners of gasoline-powered tools mistakenly believe that a hand pump can overly pump fuel into the carburetor and, for this reason, flood the candle. This is fundamentally wrong, since the system is capable of circulating around. Excess gasoline from the carburetor will be directed, through a dedicated hose, back to the tank.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
Starting a STIHL chainsaw almost always follows the same algorithm, except for those cases when a decompression valve and a fuel primer are additionally installed on the chainsaw. These gadgets are designed to facilitate the start-up process and do an excellent job of their functions.
All chainsaws manufactured by the Husqvarna Group are equipped with metal springs that effectively damp vibration and practically do not transmit it to the operator’s hands.
The STIHL MS 180 chainsaws are equipped with rubber anti-vibration buffers. Fatigue comes faster when working with it.
The STIHL MS 180 and Partner P 340 chainsaws are equipped with classic two-stroke engines. Their disadvantage is the imperfect combustion chamber purging system. 20% of the fuel escapes through the exhaust pipe (muffler) into the atmosphere along with the combustion products. Thus, we lose a fifth of gasoline, which simply “flies into the pipe”, pollute the environment, and we ourselves breathe this explosive mixture of exhaust gases, gasoline and oil.
The Husqvarna 236 chainsaw is equipped with a modern two-stroke engine with X-Torq technology, which provides almost 100% fuel combustion. As a result, the exhaust gases are 70% less toxic than a conventional two-stroke engine. Also, complete combustion of fuel provides high torque over a wider rpm range. Husqvarna 236 is harder to crush in wood.
So for intensive work, we advise you to purchase Husqvarna 236: cutting tasks will be completed faster with less stress on the operator and with significant fuel economy.
General information about chainsaws.
- Manufacturer. Husqvarna
- Where is the manufacturer’s plant located. China
- Cylinder volume. 35 cubic meters cm
- Engine power. 1.93 hp / 1.45 kW
- Bus length. 35cm, 14 “
- Weight. 4.5KG
- Manufacturer. STIHL
- Where is the manufacturer’s plant located. China
- Cylinder volume. 31.8 cc cm
- Engine power. 2 h.p. / 1.5 kW
- Bus length. 35cm, 14 “
- Weight. 3.9 kg
MS 170, MS180 лучшие малыши компании STIHL
- Manufacturer. Husqvarna
- Where is the manufacturer’s plant located. China
- Cylinder volume. 38.2 cc cm
- Engine power. 1.9 h.p. / 1.42 kW
- Bus length. 35cm, 14 “
- Weight. 4.7 kg
As you can see, these saws are practically the same in terms of engine power and tire length. The STIHL MS 180 wins in weight. it is lighter than competitors.
Detailed overview and comparison of the main components.
Despite the apparent external similarity of the objects of comparison, there are significant differences between them that significantly affect the resource and performance. Without focusing on these differences, we will not be able to understand which manufacturer to give preference: STIHL or Husqvarna.
Chainsaw air filtration system.
All chainsaws manufactured by Husqvarna, and these models are no exception, have a two-stage air filtration system: first, the air mass with sawdust and dust is sucked in by the impeller on the flywheel, then air is fed through a spiral channel to the upper part of the cylinder. Under the action of centrifugal forces, dust and sawdust particles fly out to the side, and purified air enters the filter.
This allows Partner and Husqvarna chainsaws to work longer without air filter maintenance.
Also, if we compare STIHL and Husqvarna chainsaws in terms of the air filter design, we will see the following picture: the filter on the STIHL MS 180. a molded plate of synthetic felt pressed against the cylinder cover. The density of pressing directly depends on the degree of wear of the cylinder cover latch. The filter, for example, on the Partner P 340 chainsaw, is a plastic case with felt filtration windows. This element sits tightly in its intended place, regardless of the degree of wear of the chainsaw motor cover.
Which chainsaw is better. STIHL or Husqvarna?
STIHL or Husqvarna, which is better? Find out in this article.
STIHL or Husqvarna?
Cold start systems.
To start a cold engine, it is necessary to pump fuel into the chainsaw system from the gas tank. On most saws, including the STIHL MS 180, this procedure is performed by pulling the starter rope 6-10 times. Partner and Husqvarna chainsaws are equipped with a fuel priming pump. It makes starting a cold engine much easier.
Warranty and equipment.
The warranty period for the STIHL MC 170 chainsaw is 1 year from the date of purchase. Before purchasing, it is advisable that the seller start the saw with you and check its performance. In addition to the mechanism itself, the package includes:
- Chain and saw blade (50 links, groove thickness 1.1, pitch 3/8).
- Universal original key and special screwdriver for adjustment.
- Protective tire cover.
- Instruction and warranty card.
The STIHL MS-170 chainsaw is manufactured by the famous German brand STIHL, founded in 1921 in Germany. The newly-minted company of Andreas Stihl was engaged in the production of steam boilers and washing machines. A little later, in 1929, the company released its first “STIHL” chainsaw, which is characterized by a large weight (48 kg) and therefore served by not one, but two operators.
Development continued, design changes were made, and today we see the quietest and most widely bought STIHL chainsaw in the world, the weight of which rarely exceeds 6 kg. The reason for this popularity is the high quality of assembly and components of the unit, increased safety during operation, and innovative technologies used. The assembly of STIHL chainsaws is carried out in Germany and the USA.
- Single-lever control is very convenient and intuitive. Only three positions: cold start, work and stop, which can be switched with one hand.
- The reliable Zama carburetor with STIHL compensator makes operation stable and saves fuel. Adjustment is carried out with one screw, no more is required. this is a very reliable unit.
- The Ematik lubrication system lubricates the entire cutting attachment economically and efficiently. This increases its resource and reduces oil consumption.
- The anti-vibration system here is not a spring system, but a multi-point damper system. In general, this is enough for comfortable work, and the dampers “live” for a long time.
- The front QuickStop brake, another patented technology from STIHL, is effective in a fraction of a second and makes working safely. When strong vibration is triggered automatically.
Description of the chain saw “STIHL” MC-170
The STIHL MS-170 chainsaw is a household tool used in households for pruning a garden, clearing old trees from the house, harvesting solid fuel, sawing boards across the fibers. The weight of the chainsaw is 3.9 kg. The body of the product is made of impact-resistant plastic. Hidden in the body is the original STIHL carburetor engine with a capacity of 1.76 liters. from.
Starting the unit is manual, from an inertial starter with a handle. A built-in decompressor makes it easy to start the power plant. The diaphragm carburetor has a factory unregulated engine speed setting and is equipped with a compensator that stabilizes the speed and improves the quality of the exhaust gases. The muffler is equipped with a special spark arresting grid that protects the operator from burns. Fuel injection into the carburetor is carried out by a pump.
Chain lubrication is carried out automatically at control points, thereby saving oil consumption and improving the service life of the saw headset. Integrated brake system of the “QuickStop” chain.
For “STIHL” MC-170 chainsaws, the chain tensioning mechanism is placed laterally, which simplifies the installation and maintenance of the saw set. The STIHL ms-170 chainsaw is equipped with an original Rollomatic tire 35 cm long, but 40 cm tires can also be installed.The used chain for the STIHL MS-170 chainsaw is Oilomatic or Picco mini comfort (with victorious soldering on the teeth) with 50 links.
Chainsaw “STIHL” МС-170, technical characteristics:
|Power||1.3 / 1.8 kW / hp.|
|Cylinder displacement||30.1 cm³|
|Bus length||35 cm|
|Specific gravity||3.1 kg / kW|
|Idling speed||2.800 rpm.|
|Number of revolutions Pmax 1)||8.500 rpm|
|STIHL Oilomatic chain pitch / type||3/8 ″ P / Picco Micro 3|
|Weight 2)||4 Kg|
|Volume of the tank||0.25 l|
|Chain pitch||3/8 “P|
|Vibration level left / right 3)||4.2 / 5.9 m / s²|
|Sound power level 4)||109 dB (A)|
|Sound pressure level 4)||98 dB (A)|
|K-factor according to Directive 2006/42 / EC||2|
The package for the STIHL MS-170 chainsaw includes:
- user’s manual;
- saw headset: 14 “chain and 35 cm bar;
- screwdriver key;
- tire cover.
Counterfeits and original
The more popular the techniques on the international market, the more often you can find Chinese counterfeits that have a similar look and a more affordable price. The original STIHL MS-170 chain saw should have a price within 10 thousand rubles, everything that is much lower is a fake.
Experienced owners of equipment have learned to recognize a fake, even visually:
- casting of the body is rough, porous, low quality;
- dimmer than the original chain saw;
- in the original, the air filter screw is located at the end of the tool, in Chinese fakes. in the upper part, etc.
To view detailed information on how to identify a fake chainsaw “STIHL” MC-170 we offer in this
Manufacturer and scope.
In 1926, STIHL will celebrate its centenary. During this period, almost all the innovations and advanced developments of the gasoline engine tool are the merit of the German concern. Already in the distant 90s of the last century, STIHL developed a range of compact amateur-class chainsaws, which are still popular today. The most famous of them is the STIHL 180 chainsaw. Based on its base, the 170th was published. By the way, both models are now being assembled at the STIHL factory in China.
STIHL MC 170 is a compact and lightweight chainsaw, while not deprived of high reliability and stability of work, as it is assembled at the same capacities as expensive professional models. Therefore, despite its small size, 170 is applicable in many areas:
- Work in the garden.
- Pruning small trees and branches.
- Renovation and construction.
- Small preparation of firewood.
- Hiking and picnic saw.
In appearance, it is almost impossible to distinguish chainsaws, since they are completely identical. Housing parts, crankcase, muffler and carburetor mounted on saws are interchangeable and have the same factory part numbers.
Differences of the cylinder. piston group
The main difference is hidden inside the cylinders. The inner diameter of the STIHL CPG for ms 170 is 37 mm, while for ms it is 180–38 mm. But oddly enough, the crankcase trays of the tools are the same.
Both units have comfortable modifications with STIHL ElastoStart technology, which makes it easier to start the STIHL chainsaw, and a quick chain tensioning system, which allows you to adjust the chain without the use of keys.
Comparison of characteristics
If you compare the main technical characteristics, then these two saws have the same volume of fuel and oil tanks. The weight of the instruments is 3.9 kg. Chainsaws come with completely identical tires.
The main difference between the tools is in the power of the motors. The STIHL ms 180 has an engine capacity of 31.8 cubic meters. cm while its power is 2 liters. from. The 170th is equipped with a 30.1 cc engine. cm and at the same time produces a maximum power of 1.7 liters. from. Whether this difference will be critical, it is impossible to say unequivocally. We can only assume that with a larger power reserve, the ms 180 chainsaw will be a little more reliable.
Why buy the STIHL MS 180
I have been using the chainsaw for several years, all this time she has only been capricious a couple of times and that’s it. I solved the problem by cleaning the air filter and candle. I work as a saw on a construction site and saw a little old trash at home. She saws boards and pillars flawlessly. Compared to an electric saw, the STIHL 180 is noticeably more powerful, especially when sawing round timber. Considering that the saw can be cut for no more than a minute, STIHL is completely out of competition.
Recently it was revealed that the saw can come with two options of tires, I was told this when I was buying a spare chain and it did not fit me. Before this calm, I had several instruments bought from gypsies for cheap. STIHL type and Husqvarna type. Forgeries, practically without working on sawing, were ordered to live long. As a result, I just wasted my money and still had to go and buy STIHL 180 from an authorized dealer, which I do not regret to this day.
Now STIHL costs a little more than I bought it, but you still shouldn’t buy instruments from “gray” traders. You will definitely not win anything, but only lose money. I am completely satisfied with my instrument and recommend it to all my friends, its price and power are perfectly balanced.
Starts up quickly, cuts mediocre, oil does not pour out like on the last saw when the saw is not working, there is no vibration when he saw for the first time, figured it out quickly (good instruction). The tool is assembled with high quality.
It gets dirty quickly, very often pulling up the chain (it probably hasn’t worked in yet). Really lacking power when working with fat chocks.
I use the saw for gardening, sawing and felling bad trees. I cut them for firewood, I also saw old boards for lighting the barbecue, I cut out small bushes, for these needs it is quite enough, but something serious can no longer be cut. In principle, I am satisfied with the saw, but I would like the best, I had to take more powerful ones. The gasoline consumption seems to be high, but this is probably due to the low power, you have to constantly gas, or perhaps just running in is.
Differences between STIHL chainsaws ms 170 and 180
Dear readers, in this article we will consider the answer to the question: STIHL 170 and STIHL 180 is the difference critical, since this is one of the most popular questions that buyers have when choosing a chainsaw for work in a garden. And let’s start by comparing the technical characteristics.
A comparative analysis of chainsaws has shown that, despite the price, most buyers choose the STIHL MS 180 because of its reliability and practicality. A large selection of spare parts also affects comfortable operation, since repair is an integral part of the operation of any equipment. Choosing 180 is the right choice.
Depreciation system. Manufacturers implement it in different ways: in domestic-grade STIHL chainsaws, rubber gaskets are used, farm-class models are equipped with metal springs. more reliable shock absorber. Husqvarna uses springs on all saws.
Quick chain tensioning system and keyless blade / chain replacement. Present in both brands, it allows you to service the saw without additional tools. you only need to loosen the keyless system.
Adjustable carburetor. It allows you to solve several problems: for example, a decrease or, on the contrary, an increase in maximum speed, difficult engine start. Both manufacturers are present.
Quick release caps for gas tanks. They have a convenient holder and open when the lid is turned by only a quarter.
ElastoStart (STIHL) and Smart Start (Husqvarna)
STIHL chainsaws are equipped with the ElastoStart starting device, which makes starting the tool easier and reduces jerking.
Principle of operation: when the user pulls the handle, the damping element is triggered, which absorbs the starting loads.
Features: virtually maintenance-free, dustproof.
The Husqvarna brand has also developed its own technology to make the saw start easier.
Features: Reduces the effort required to start the saw by 40%.
Chainsaws are made with a polymer body. By and large, this material has no drawbacks. it is durable, lightweight and flexible.
The metal body has its advantages. robust and reliable, but weighs more than comparable STIHL models.
Conclusion: all other things being equal, models with a polymer case are preferable, if only because they are easier to work with.
How STIHL 170 differs from 180
STIHL and Husqvarna. the most famous chainsaw manufacturers from the long-standing ones on the market. Brands are constantly competing for a place in the hearts of customers, so they regularly add new “chips” and improve their tools in every possible way. How different are the saws of the two companies, or are they different at all? This issue is definitely worth looking into.
STIHL patented development. a more efficient, greener and more economical two-stroke engine compared to conventional engines. Retains high torque at any speed.
Principle of operation: the combustion chamber is blown, unlike conventional engines, not with a fuel mixture, but with clean air. As a result of this refinement. more fuel mixture burns.
Features: 20% less fuel consumption while maintaining high power, as a result. reduced emissions.
Two-stroke engines with this technology are also efficient and economical.
Features: reduces fuel consumption, reduces exhaust emissions by 2.5 times. Same torque at low and high rpm, reduced vibration.
Country of manufacture
Our customers often pay attention to the country of manufacture of the chainsaw. Indeed, the same manufacturer can produce tools in China, Brazil, Germany and any other country in the world. It is believed that the German assembly will definitely not let you down, but, say, the Chinese one often raises questions. We hasten to reassure you: the place of manufacture does not matter. Each production is controlled in the same way regardless of the country, so you can safely take the tool, regardless of the location of the factory.
The most popular chainsaw models
Household chainsaws, which are made in China (STIHL) and in the USA (Husqvarna). Both saws have a power of 2 HP, the length of the bar is 35 cm. The main differences concern the capacity of the tanks. for the 180 model it is 250 ml, for the 135 model. 370 ml. This means your Husqvarna chainsaw will run a little longer without refueling. The weight of the latter also differs upwards and is 4.4 kg.
These are professional grade models made in China (STIHL) and Sweden (Husqvarna). The 450e model is designed to work with a 38 cm tire, the MS 250 is used with a 35 cm tire.The former is inferior in terms of fuel and oil tank volume to a STIHL brand chainsaw, while the power of both models is approximately the same and amounts to 3 hp.