How to adjust the carburetor on the patriot trimmer
Do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment for petrol cutters
Petrol cutters, like all petrol powered tools for the garden, are not difficult to maintain equipment. It is possible and necessary to repair, configure yourself. For example, adjusting the carburetor of a petrol cutter with your own hands is a matter of five minutes.
The carburetor from the petrol cutter is a unit in the power supply system. In it, like any carburetors, there is a process of mixing air and fuel (gasoline) for further supply to the engine cylinders.
In this process, the main thing is the correct proportion of fuel and air, for which the carburetor is regulated.
Intake needle wear
The inlet needle fails, as a rule, due to the presence of abrasive particles in the fuel fluid.
- the tightness of the inlet needle seat is disrupted;
- there is a leakage of a combustible mixture;
- there are malfunctions in the engine operation associated with re-enrichment of the fuel mixture.
Also, the inlet needle may just jam.
HOW TO ADJUST The Carburetor on Weedeater XT260 Grass Trimmer
A jammed inlet needle can cause dirt in the fuel or a long idle time.
Reasons for blockage of the mesh filter. poor quality fuel cleaning, damage to the hose and / or delivery head.
Throttle and choke shaft wear
The air and throttle shaft can wear out for the following reasons:
- insufficient and improper maintenance of the air filter;
- the air filter is damaged;
- the air filter is not suitable for this unit.
Due to the ingress of poorly cleaned air, the shaft wears out and can break. Broken shaft parts can enter the combustion chamber or crankcase and cause serious damage to the entire piston system.
To eliminate problems with air purification, it is necessary to replace the defective filter or flush the existing (serviceable) one. The filter must be washed in soapy water and dried.
When carburetor adjustment is required?
The operator needs to correct the work of the working unit in certain cases:
- The new engine was run in using 4-5 liters of fuel;
- Changed the composition of the fuel. the brand of engine oil and gasoline;
- The weather conditions have changed (in winter, summer);
- The level of rarefaction of air has changed;
- The load on the power plant has increased;
- After prolonged storage of the unit;
- Formation of persistent carbon deposits on the spark plug;
- The engine immediately stalls after the start or does not develop the required speed;
- When vibrating, the adjustment screws are loosened;
- The amount of fuel consumed has increased;
- Gasoline is not pumped into the cylinder;
- A lot of exhaust comes out.
Malfunction of the fuel pump
The most repetitive breakdown is wear and tear of the diaphragm. As a result, its non-conformity. The fuel passages are not sealed at certain stages in the engine cycle. The reasons are as follows:
- you have been working on the brushcutter or trimmer for too long without interruption;
- fueled with low-quality fuel;
- exhaust gases enter the impulse channel.
A deformed membrane is fraught with several bad consequences:
- there is not enough gasoline or oxygen in the generated combustible mixture;
- the motor starts after 10 or more unsuccessful attempts;
- the engine knocks, clinks during operation, etc.;
- the working piston is deformed.
As a result, the inner space of the fuel pump is contaminated from the side of the impulse channel.
Easy Weed Eater Carburetor Adjustment To FIX – BOGGING DOWN – STARTING PROBLEMS – ROUGH IDLE
Carburetor cannot be adjusted
The fact that the adjustment is too coarse (it is not possible to accurately set the parameters) are to blame for the springs on the adjusting screws. A brushcutter or trimmer manufacturer may supply unnecessarily thick and stiff springs. You can find others either in workshops where similar equipment is repaired, or purchased from any dealer or official representative of the company that produced the motor for your trimmer or power scythe.
Chainsaw carburetor tuning patriot
About the carburetor device
The carburetor serves to mix the combustible consistency with air, observing the proportions established in advance. If clear doses are not followed, the proper functioning of the motor is at risk. When a huge amount of air enters during mixing of a component, and there is not enough fuel, then such a mixture is considered “poor”.
Over-saturation should not be allowed, because with a large amount of fuel, in comparison with air, malfunctions or engine wear are also likely. Adjustment of the carburetor is needed not only before the initial introduction, but also when any differences in its operation are revealed. Before using the chainsaw, do not forget to run it in.
The carburetor design contains a standard set of parts, but may vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. Components:
- The foundation. It is a special tube that visually resembles an aerodynamic structure. Air passes through it. In the transverse direction, a damper is located in the middle of the pipe. Its position can be changed. The more it is pushed into the passage, the less air enters the engine.
- Diffuser. This is the constricted part of the tube. With its help, the air flow rate increases exactly in the segment from which the fuel comes out.
- Fuel supply channels. The fuel mixture is contained in the float chamber, then passes into the nozzle, from which it flows into the sprayer.
- Float chamber. It is a separate structural element, reminiscent of the shape of a tank. Designed to constantly maintain an optimal level of fuel fluid in front of the entrance to the channel where the air comes from.
Not sure which chainsaw to choose? Read our article.
Looking for models that are cheaper, but reliable and time-tested? Pay attention to Russian-made chainsaws.
Alternatively, research foreign chainsaw manufacturers such as Calm.
What you need to have to set up
Every carburetor owner should have the necessary tools to adjust this system. There are three adjusting screws that are located on the body of the device. They have their own markings:
- L. screw for low speed correction.
- H. screw for high speed adjustment.
- T. regulates the idle speed, in most cases it is used for experiments.
Chainsaw air filter
Before adjusting the carburetor, you need to prepare the device:
- The engine warms up, that is, it starts about 10 minutes before the repair, and turns off when you start work (see how to start the chainsaw).
- The air filter is checked and washed.
- The chain is stopped by turning the screw T as far as it will go (see chain oil).
To carry out a safe repair, you need to prepare a flat surface where you can carefully position the device, and turn the chain in the opposite direction. We need a tachometer. It determines the presence of a violation in the operation of the carburetor. When the screws are turning, the sound should be perfect and absolutely smooth. If you notice squealing notes, then the mixture is oversaturated.
Adjusting the carburetor of the Patriot 3816 chainsaw with your own hands
Correct carburetor adjustment ensures economical fuel consumption and maximum traction characteristics of the Patriot chainsaw. If adjusted incorrectly, then this will certainly affect her work.
Before starting the adjustment, it is necessary to conduct a complete inspection of the chainsaw, if any, eliminate defects (air leaks, air leaks, etc.).
Usually on the body of the carburetor (duplicated on the body of the chainsaw) there are designations:
- L. the screw is designed to adjust low engine speed.
- H. screw is for high speed adjustment.
- T. screw is for idle speed adjustment.
Correct Way To Adjust Or Tune The Carburetor On A Weedeater / Grass Trimmer – Video
When the engine is off, it is necessary to completely tighten the screws L and H on the carburetor until it stops. Then unscrew 1.5 turns each. The screw T does not need to be touched at this stage. After that, you need to try to start the chainsaw. If everything is done correctly, then it will start immediately. We warm up the engine for 7. 10 minutes.
Setting the operating mode at idle. Before adjusting the carburetor, it is necessary to determine the position of the screw L, at which the engine speed will be maximum. To do this, you need to slowly scroll it in one direction or the other. When the position is found, turn the screw counterclockwise 1/4 turn.
In this case, you need to ensure that the chain remains stationary.
If suddenly, when adjusting, it starts to move, turn the screw T counterclockwise until the chain stops. After that, we tighten the screw another 1/4 turn in the same direction.
The next step is to check the Patriot chainsaw in all engine operating modes. We try to start the cooled chainsaw and evaluate idling. Turnovers must be equal, not floating. Then we try to cut the logs by accelerating the engine with the throttle.
If everything is set up correctly, then the engine should work steadily, develop power quickly, without failures.
If there are interruptions in the operation of the engine, and there is no normal acceleration, it is necessary to turn the screw L again by 1/8 turn counterclockwise and repeat the above manipulations with the screw T. Repeat until you achieve the correct operation of the engine.
In order to check the quality of the mixture, we accelerate the chainsaw to maximum speed. During the adjustment process, a long work in this mode should not be allowed, take pauses. Watch for exhaust and operating sound. When a lot of gray smoke comes out of the muffler and the sound from the engine is very loud, then the mixture is too rich. Turn screw H 1/4 turn counterclockwise and observe engine operation. We check the chainsaw at maximum speed, it should cut well, without failures and interruptions in work
Symptoms of a lean mixture: overheating of the chainsaw engine, misfiring, characteristic crackling in the exhaust, spontaneous increases in engine speed. In this situation it is necessary to turn screw H approximately 1/4 turn counterclockwise.
All of the above adjustments are carried out until the main conditions are met: the chain is stationary at idle, the engine sound is even, pressing the throttle lever leads to rapid acceleration without failures and sticking. For more accurate tuning of the carburetor of the Patriot 3816 chainsaw, you can connect an electronic tachometer.
You need to understand that at different times of the year, an appropriate adjustment of the carburetor of the Patriot chainsaw is required. So in winter, when working with a saw, you need to make the mixture richer, because the characteristics of the inlet air change.
What carburetor is on the Patriot 3816, its device
A typical carburetor is installed on the Patriot 3816 chainsaw, an analogue of the Chinese “gypsy”. It consists of a lightweight aluminum body, which contains:
- Throttle valve. Thanks to it, the ratio of air in the fuel mixture (depletion or enrichment) changes;
- Fuel needle or mixer. Through it, the fuel enters the float chamber.
- Diffuser. Narrow section of the camera. Passing through it, the air flow is significantly accelerated.
- Float chamber. The mixture is dosed in it and maintained at a certain level.
- Main fuel jet. Through it, the fuel enters the diffuser from the float chamber.
These are the main components of the Patriot 3816 chainsaw carburetor. In addition to them, there are many more auxiliary small equipment.
Adjusting the carburetor of chainsaws Patriot 3818, 4518, 5220
Chainsaws Patriot 4518 and 5220 have similar carburetors. The only difference is in performance. Those. they allow you to work with saws with a larger engine size.
As for adjusting the carburetor on them, then everything is simple, it goes similarly to model 3816. You can safely use the instructions described in the article.
The 4518 and 5220 are equipped with a primer and Easy Start for easy cold starting. Before adjusting the carburetor, you need to make sure they are working properly.
In general, Patriot chainsaws, due to their average cost and quality, are equipped with moderately reliable carburetors, which need to be adjusted only in extreme measures. If you are not confident in your own abilities, we strongly recommend that you entrust this procedure to the specialists of the service center, because there is still a risk of failure, as a result of incorrect setting of the maximum speed of the chainsaw.
DIY chainsaw carburetor setting
For an independent carburetor option, you need to familiarize yourself with its device and understand the procedure for the work that is carried out to adjust the parts responsible for the correct functioning of the component parts of the device and parts close to it.
It is necessary to carefully handle the items for the system option, also to determine if the set characteristics correspond to very permissible values.