How to assemble a starter on a trimmer video
Grass Trimmer Starter Assembly Sequence
Although the process of assembling the lawn mower starting unit is carried out in the reverse order of disassembly, there are several nuances that should be paid special attention to:
The coil with the spring installed must be turned over and mounted in the groove of the starter body so that all the protrusions become in their original place.
Installing the grass trimmer coil into the starter housing
Собрать стартер на триммер легко, как намотать пружину стартера триммера
When assembling the starter, pay attention to the compression spring, which must be bounded on both sides by steel springs. If this is not done, then after the first season it will wipe the grooves in the pulley housing.
Disassembly-assembly of the starter
Disassembling-assembling the starter is not a serious problem, it just requires a little skill in handling a screwdriver and, most importantly, observing some safety measures:
However, you need to be prepared for the fact that the starter for a lawn mower, like any other part, is prone to malfunctions, but the frequency with which you will repair or replace the starter depends solely on your use.
Replacing the grass trimmer starter rope
At the very beginning, you need to remove the broken cord, choose the appropriate length depending on the model of the grass trimmer. We pass it through a special hole in the pulley and at the other end we tie a knot in order to prevent the rope from jumping out of the grass trimmer start mechanism. Next, we erect the ribbon spring to the required number of revolutions and mount the handle.
Removal and disassembly of the starter, replacement of broken parts
To repair the grass trimmer starter, you will first need to disassemble it and then reassemble it. This process is not particularly difficult. For work, you need a screwdriver with a tip of the desired shape.
Ремонт стартера мотокосы, триммера
Everything should be done carefully, observing safety precautions, mainly so that the spring does not injure the master in case of an accidental departure.
Parsing the starter brushcutter
This stage allows the wizard to establish the reasons for the failure of the launch unit, as well as to troubleshoot individual parts. Disassembly work should be carried out in the following sequence:
Unscrew the screws securing the pulley to the starter housing;
Spring removed from the starter coil
Many experts note that it is quite difficult to install the spring the first time, therefore, when repairing the grass trimmer starter, the owner will need not only basic locksmith skills, but also patience.
Major malfunctions of the grass trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the breakdown of the triggering device. There are several main options:
- break of the cord (rope);
- when the spring breaks or disengages.
The above details are shown in the photo below.
It may happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be disastrous if the broken rope is wound around the flywheel of a working internal combustion engine: then the spring will burst, the pulley will break. But such cases, when a complete replacement of the starter unit is required, are extremely rare. In most cases, to fix the mechanism, it is enough to install a new spring or replace the cord.
Sooner or later, problems with the starter arise on any trimmer. STIHL FS 55, MTD 790 or another brand. It is possible to delay the appearance of such a malfunction, but for this you need to handle the instrument with care. In particular, you should not make too sharp jerks, this will lead to a break in the cord or to a spring out. It is not recommended to subject the robotic lawnmower to impacts or other physical influences. If the starter housing breaks and the cord breaks, it could wind up around the engine flywheel. This will result in a ripped pulley and a bursting spring.
So, having discovered that the starter mechanism has broken down on the petrol cutter, you should not immediately rush to get help from specialists. Knowing how the malfunction is eliminated and / or the replacement of the part is performed, the repair work can be performed independently. This does not require any specific tool. At first, the procedure may seem complicated and tedious, but numerous videos on the Internet dedicated to repairing a starter will help solve the problem as quickly and simply as possible.
Signs and causes of failure of the starter mechanism
There are two malfunctions in the starter mechanism.
- Broken cord. With regular operation of the brushcutter, this element is frayed and torn, which will be easily noticed by the user when trying to start the grass trimmer. To remedy the situation, you need to replace the cord.
- Spring wear and subsequent breakage or release of the hook from the groove. The fault can be determined by a cord that does not come back and does not wrap around the pulley after starting the engine. To repair the grass trimmer in this case, simply install a new spring.
In rare situations, the starter mechanism breaks when the tool is used carelessly. The consequences can be unpleasant: a deformed cord is wound around the flywheel of a running engine, the pulley breaks, and the spring bursts. But these are isolated cases, a complete replacement of the starter is very rarely required.
Diagnostics and elimination of breakdowns
To diagnose the starter mechanism for the purpose of its subsequent repair, the unit must be disassembled. This is easy to do; you only need a screwdriver. But during this operation, you need to be careful. with careless movements, the spring can fly out and cause injury to the user.
Sometimes, after the repair, the spring still flies. There are two solutions to fix this problem:
- To prevent the spring bend from jumping out of the groove, you need to insert a small fragment of a metal plate between the bend and the wall of the seat. This will provide a tighter fit for the spring.
- A self-made fastening also helps to keep the spring in the groove. It is necessary to drill holes in the coil on each side of the groove, place a spring bend in them and fix it with a piece of wire. These steps should be performed so that the wire does not touch the starter cover and does not slow down the movement of the pulley.
Coiling a spring is not an easy procedure. Not everyone succeeds in installing the part in place the first time, so you should not be upset if it fails. It is necessary to repeat attempts until the action is successful. If you wish, you can watch a video on the Internet, where craftsmen tell in detail and show how to easily and quickly perform this operation.
Important! When winding and installing the spring, you need to remember that it is hot, which means it can burst if you apply too much effort. A new part is inexpensive, but you will have to spend time searching for it, which means that the work on mowing the grass will be postponed indefinitely.
To wind the spring, you need to place the bend in the groove, and then, turning the coil, carefully lay the part along the inner diameter of the bobbin. In this case, the spring must be constantly held with your hands. if you do not fix it, the part slips and jumps out, then the winding has to be done again. When done correctly, the spring is firmly seated in its seat.
Replacing the cord
To replace an element, you need to find a hole in the coil for it, through which you pass the cord, and then tie a knot. Next, you need to cock the coil with the spring by performing a few turns.
On a note! You can find out the exact number of turns by looking at the instruction manual for your grass trimmer, or by hand. To do this, you need to measure the length of the rope and count how many times it can be wrapped around the coil.
For example, if the cord is wrapped around the circumference six times, then to tighten the spring, you need to turn the coil counterclockwise six times. After that, it remains only to thread the rope through the hole and fix the handle on the cord.
Collection and installation in place of the starter
To assemble the starter and install it in its original place, you must:
- turn the pulley with the spring down and place it inside the body so that the spring bend falls exactly into the groove of the body;
- install the washer, then the spring, on top of it. the second washer;
- place a cup with antennae on top of the washer and screw in the screw.
When assembling, be sure to put both washers, otherwise the plastic cup will be damaged by the spring after some time, and when pulling the cord, the user will notice that it is jammed. It will look like a spring has flown off. To eliminate such damage, you will need to install a larger screw or another washer. If it is not possible to find the required parts, it is enough to loosen the screw a little, after which the starter will stop jamming. However, you need to understand that these are temporary measures, and the malfunction should be repaired as soon as possible.
How to repair a trimmer starter
One of the key components of a lawn mower is the starter, which is designed to make it easier to start the engine of the device. Like other parts, it breaks down periodically. In this case, there are two solutions to the problem: repair the grass trimmer starter or replace it completely. The second option is simpler but more expensive. In addition, the required part must first be found on the market, since different starters are used for different models of the brushcutter. If you have free time and a screwdriver with a suitable tip, you can restore the operation of this unit yourself if you know how it works, what malfunctions are typical for it, and how to fix them correctly. All this is in this material.
How to put a spring on a chainsaw starter?
Fitting the spring into the correct groove is a tricky task. First of all, the part will need to be twisted, returning it to its previous dimensions. After that, it must be inserted into the cavity of the standard drum hub. To fill the spring in the chainsaw starter, you need to proceed in this order:
- The outer end of the spring used must be fixed in a special stop lug. In this case, the second end with a screwdriver will need to be installed opposite the standard hole inside the lock;
- Next, the loop located at the inner end of the standard spring should be aligned with the hole. It is better to use a screwdriver for this. When the ends are aligned, the disc will need to be lowered;
- After mounting the disc, you need to check that the dog of the factory ratchet mechanism of the chainsaw is in its regular place. Then you can assemble the ratchet in reverse order.
Chainsaw starter device
As standard, the chainsaw starter consists of a number of parts.
- the frame to which the return spring is attached;
- a pen.
A protective cover is installed on top of all elements of the starter. The original principle of operation of most triggers is also almost the same. In a special groove in the chainsaw body there is a handle that holds the cable. When the handle is raised sharply, the latter is understood. At this moment, a ratchet is triggered, which, through the drum, transfers the force to another drum with splines located on the engine shaft.
When pulling out the standard cable, the chainsaw motor shaft begins to rotate, which leads to compression of the existing fuel mixture located at this time between the cylinder head and the standard piston.
With an increase in the volume of the internal combustion engine cylinder, the amount of consumed fuel mixture, which is required for its future ignition, also increases. Consequently, the operator of a powerful saw needs more jerking strokes than the owner of a low power tool. Powerful chainsaw manufacturers use resilient return springs to increase the speed at which the drum returns to its original position.
The starter is one of the most important mechanisms in any modern chainsaw. It depends on him to start the engine of the tool in any weather conditions. The chainsaw starter stands out for its simple design, it is easy to maintain and repair it yourself. However, in order to fix the breakdown, you must first find its cause. To do this, most often it is required to completely disassemble the standard mechanism.
How to assemble a starter on a chainsaw?
After replacing the faulty elements of the starter, the turn of its reassembly comes. In this case, maximum accuracy must be observed, since the slightest discrepancy can lead to damage to the trigger. The assembly of the assembly should be performed in the following sequence:
- The standard cable will need to be tucked into the factory hole of the reel. At the same time, the cord does not need to be wound;
- Next, you will need to insert the coil into its base place. At this stage, many beginners make a common mistake. There are 2 slots on the surface of the coil. One of them should get a regular coil spring hook. To do this, the coil will need to be installed in such a way that it fits snugly into its original place, and the existing hook fits exactly into the slot. The correctness of installation must be checked by turning the coil in the direction of the clock hand until resistance appears;
- Then you need to install a device for easy starting of the chainsaw. In this case, the protrusion of the latter should be located in the recess of the installed coil;
- After that, you will need a screw and washer to fix the device;
- Next, the other end of the cord must be tucked into a special outlet;
- In the next step, you will need to thread the cable into the starter handle. To this end, you will need to tie a medium-sized knot at the end of the cord. If it is too small, then the cable will slip, because of which it will quickly wind up on the drum of the trigger;
- Then you need to release the loop inside the starter. Immediately after this, you should start the rotation of the trigger mechanism in the direction of the clock hand. In this case, the cord does not need to be wound. Next, you need to fix the coil with your hand, and pull the loop out by the handle;
- After that, you need to check the operation of the trigger;
- If the unit is working properly, it remains to install it on the tool, and attach with three screws.
Starter repair is not a complicated procedure if you follow the correct procedure. As a rule, replacing the starter cord will take no more than 20 minutes. The main thing is to correctly position the pulley and drum in relation to each other. Otherwise, the trigger will not work.
Lawn mower starters. device and installation features
How to repair starter on the trimmer
The petrol grass trimmer starter may need to be repaired suddenly. Here you can solve the problem in 2 ways: change a broken part or change the entire unit. The latter option is more expensive. To repair the device on your own, only a screwdriver with a suitable tip is almost always useful from the tools. Repair work will not take too much time and do not even require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the mechanism of operation, aspects of assembling and disassembling the starter on the trimmer in order to achieve a suitable good result.
The device and principle of operation of the starter on the trimmer
The gasoline engine is, in principle, the main part of the brushcutter. Its power is in the range of 0.5-2.5 hp. The movement from it is transmitted to the shaft, which is inside the hollow rod, and then through a gearbox consisting of gears, already a fishing line or knife (working body).
Also, the lawn mower has the following elements:
- protective casing;
- a belt designed for the convenience of using the device;
- starter used to start a gasoline internal combustion engine.
All details of brushcutters are presented in the photo below.
The trimmer starter is an integral part that starts the engine. He is shown separately in the two photos below.
The starter mechanisms of various models of petrol brushes work on the same principle: during the start of the internal combustion engine, the protrusions marked in the photo above with the number 1, engage with the pawls 3. When the engine starts to work, they return to their previous position due to the influence of centrifugal force. A similar role is also played by wires 2.
The process of returning to the initial position of the elements of the mechanism occurs due to the presence of a spring wound around the axis. It unfolds when the rope is pulled. After releasing the cord, it is pulled in and wound up due to the coiling of the spring. During the start of the internal combustion engine of the lawn mower, the starting mechanism turns its shaft until it starts to work (starts).
Today, gasoline brushcutters are equipped with two types of starter mechanisms:
The first option is much more common.
The trimmer starter can operate without breakdowns for a long time. It is impossible to clearly indicate the period of uptime. Everything is determined by the initial quality of the device and the observance of the rules for handling it.