How to Assemble Champion Trimmer Starter Spring
With the onset of the warm season, nature awakens from sleep and delights with abundant greenery. But this time has some remnants. In particular, active growth of weeds begins. If it is not enough to monitor the plot, then there is a risk of turning the territory into impenetrable jungle. To prevent this from happening, there is a proven and inexpensive method. An electric trimmer will come to the rescue.
The device is powered by electricity trimmers
Most models consist of the following basic elements:
Electric motor. The main driving part. It can be located above or below.
Turnover management system. Accelerates or slows down tool movement.
Barbell. The core of the structure. It can be fixed or length adjustable.
Cutting head. It rotates and mows grass with a plastic thread or a metal knife.
Bar handles There are such forms: J. the safest T. for long work, D. the most maneuverable.
For mowing grass, electrical appliances are best suited. This is a common type of device that is needed to keep grassy lawns in optimal condition. It’s easy and simple to care for your plants. Any person can cope with the control of the trimmer, regardless of physical strength. The device has a light weight. Compared to gasoline units, such devices are not so massive.
- engine rod;
- cutting head;
- mechanism control system.
The difference concerns the quality of the parts that make up the device. Based on all this, it is possible to make a rating of the best grass trimmers.
Advantages and disadvantages
Trimmers are powered by the network. they only function when connected to electricity. Important plus. low cost, because the braid is one of the cheapest types of garden equipment. There are also other benefits:
Ease. Work with power device 450–550 Watt can even a fragile girl or teenager.
Reliability. As a power unit, the trimmer uses a fail-safe motor.
Easy maintenance. All the gardener needs is to check the integrity of the power cable and brushes in the motor.
Exist and minuses, eg:
Low mobility. For the operation of the braid, a working outlet is required. In a clean field, the device is of no use.
Risk of injury. High humidity, a damaged cord and even fog can cause electric shock to the operator.
Forbidden use the trimmer with the bottom of the motor on wet grass, and in the rain it’s better to stop the activity altogether.
Which trimmer is better. electric or gasoline
The main advantage of a gasoline engine is autonomy. For his work you need only fuel, which he spends very economically. In addition, the specific power per unit weight indicator of an air-cooled internal combustion engine is higher than that of electric ones. Therefore, gasoline lawn mowers are usually more powerful than electric ones.
Types of trimmers, differences
The gasoline engine has several disadvantages:
- due to the lack of a muffler during the operation of the lawn mower creates a lot of noise;
- gasoline is explosive, therefore it requires observance of safety measures during transportation and use;
- for the preparation of fuel, in addition to gasoline, oil is also required in a strictly specified proportion;
- the exhaust of an internal combustion engine is difficult to combine with the natural beauty of the surrounding nature.
Petrol lawn trimmer
The electric motor is more convenient to use, therefore, at present, gardeners are paying more attention to electric grass trimmers.
- practically no noise when using;
- easy to start with a simple switch;
- the device of an electric trimmer for grass is much simpler than gasoline;
- the cost of processing a unit area (at the cost of electrics) is much less than that of lawn mowers.
But it can’t do without flaws:
- power supply required;
- mains voltage is life threatening, which requires special protective measures;
- a working knife, and fishing line, can easily interrupt the power cord in the grass;
- the area of the treated area is limited by the length of the power cord.
The color of the trimmer cable matters!
The black wire of the extension cord is easily lost against the background of earth and green grass. So that a manual electric grass trimmer does not become source of danger to life. we recommend using wires of white or orange color.
Despite the shortcomings, the rating of electric grass trimmers is very high today, and we will continue to consider them.
Rules for using electric mowers
Many owners of summer cottages are wondering if it is possible to use a trimmer to mow wet grass. There are several rules that allow the safe use of devices powered by electricity. Recommendations for using the mower:
- Turn on the unit with cycles, so that the motor does not overheat.
- Collisions with stones and any solid objects must not be allowed.
- If the rope is wound around a reel, you must immediately turn off the mower.
- Do not turn equipment on in fog or rainy weather.
- It is necessary to constantly monitor the location of the electric wire by mowing the grass.
- Any elements, including fishing line, must be changed only by turning off the unit.
- Do not remove the protective cover from the cutting element. Typically, gardeners do this to increase the width of the mowing. This increases the load on the motor and increases the risk of injury.
There should be no small children or pets near the working device. It is not recommended to work with wet and damp grass, as this not only poses a danger to life, but also is inconvenient. Raw grass sticks to the internal elements of the structure, clogging them and preventing the work from being carried out efficiently.
One of the most sought after electric trimmers are Bosch models. The company specializes in the manufacture of professional and household equipment for various purposes. Any Bosch mowers are different:
- long service life;
- proven quality.
The package includes knives that are well sharpened, as well as powerful motors.
Makita is also popular. It produces circular saws, drills and screwdrivers. There are larger instances of tools in stock. There are electric and gasoline lawn mowers.
Champion can be distinguished among domestic companies. The head office of the organization is located in St. Petersburg. After appearing on the market, the company offered for sale world-class gasoline tools. A distinctive feature of the brand is its original color: on the case it is yellow, quite bright, so that consumers could quickly remember it.
How to use and care for the trimmer
Using any trimmer starts with starting its engine. In electric braids, you just need to connect the power cord to the network (or install a lithium-ion battery in battery-type devices), and press the engine start button. The situation with the launch of a gasoline engine is much more complicated.
Before starting use, the lawn mower must be filled with gasoline and oil. In modern trimmers, two types of gasoline engines are used. 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Two-stroke engines, and most lawn mowers are equipped with them, should be refilled by pouring directly into the tank a mixture of AI92 gasoline and engine oil in the ratio specified by the tool manufacturer in the instructions for use. This may be the ratio of oil to fuel 1:20, 1:25, 1:40 or 1:50. over, some manufacturers recommend their own branded oil.
With a two-stroke engine, a mixture of oil and gasoline is poured directly into the fuel tank
If a four-stroke engine is installed on your trimmer, then only gasoline is refilled in the tank, and oil is separately poured into the engine crankcase. When refueling, the following safety rules must be observed:
- do not smoke during refueling;
- it is necessary to unscrew the fuel tank cap slowly in order to relieve pressure in it, and to avoid splash of residual fuel through the neck;
- fill the fuel mixture or gasoline and oil only with the engine turned off and cooled;
- to refuel at a distance of at least 3 meters from the place where the engine will start.
To start the gasoline engine, you must:
Lawn mowing engine elements involved in starting it
- Turn on the ignition.
- The primer, which is a hand pump with a silicone button, pump up fuel. This will require 8 to 10 clicks on this button (usually the exact number is indicated in the instructions for the tool).
- Shut off the choke.
- Lock the gas lever with the stopper at high speeds.
- Pull the starter handle two or three times.
Video: How to Assemble Champion Trimmer Starter Spring
If the engine starts up and stalls right away, you need to half open the air damper and repeat the start in the indicated sequence. After starting the engine, vent gas and open the air damper. The tool is completely ready, you can get to work.
When working with a trimmer, you must adhere to certain rules:
- it is imperative to observe the operating mode specified in the instruction manual. alternating a continuous cycle and a technological break (usually after 15.20 minutes of operation, a stop should be made for 3-5 minutes);
- a mixture of oil with gasoline needs to be finalized or drained from the tank during a long break in order not to clog the carburetor jets with an oil film when gasoline dries, because it, unlike oil, quickly disappears;
- mow grass only at full speed;
- if the design provides for a shoulder strap, it should be used to ensure maximum balance of the tool during operation;
- it is forbidden to use other materials (for example, a cable) instead of fishing line. this can lead to premature wear of the trimmer, and create a danger to the operator and others;
- Before starting work, you need to carefully inspect the site and clean it of foreign objects;
- in the process of mowing, they are carried out in front of them from right to left with a trimmer so that the cut grass falls on the already mowed area;
- at the end of work, it is necessary to turn off the engine, clean the cutting element from grass residues and fold the tool bar if it has a telescopic structure.
In the process of using a mechanized scythe using a fishing line as a cutting element, it may be necessary to increase the length of the cord. the free ends of the fishing line, which cut the grass. The trimmer head can have three options for feeding the fishing line, providing different ways to increase its length:
- when manually feeding, you need to stop the engine and pull out the cord with your hands;
Mechanical head with manual feed of fishing line. To increase the cord length, you need to pull the fishing line to the desired distance with the hands off when the motor is off
the semi-automatic feed head has a special button in the design, when pressed on the ground, we open the anchor mechanism, and the fishing line itself lengthens due to centrifugal force with the engine turned on;
In trimmers with a mowing head that has a semi-automatic supply of fishing line, you can increase the cord without stopping the engine. You just need to press the button to the ground
the head with automatic feed, provides for the extension of the fishing line with a sharp decrease and a subsequent increase in the number of revolutions of the bobbin.
If an automatic head is installed on the trimmer, the line is fed directly during operation. To do this, simply reset and immediately add speed
The basic safety rules for working with the trimmer include the following requirements:
- grass can be mowed only in closed clothes and shoes, with gloves and goggles (when working with a lawn mowing, you should use noise-protective headphones or ear plugs);
The rules for safe operation with the trimmer require the operator to have closed clothing and shoes, as well as gloves, eye protection and noise-attenuating headphones when working with the lawn mower
To ensure long-term operation of the trimmer, it needs constant care, which consists not only in cleaning the cutting elements from the remains of grass, dust and dirt, but also in the timely lubrication of the gearbox or main bearing. To do this, unscrew the bolt that covers the lubrication hole and check for lubrication in it. If not enough, add about 5 g of grease.
How to choose an electric grass trimmer
The trimer is selected according to the tasks that it must perform.
For large open areas with thick grass, trimmers with an upper motor, a long telescopic adjustable bar, with a belt over the shoulder, and better with a knapsack harness for more even load distribution are more suitable.
For small areas where there is little grass and she regularly cuts, a cheaper and lighter trimmer with a lower motor is sufficient.
It is already known from experience that trimmers with a power of at least 900 W have more or less normal parameters. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the fastening of the belt or harness, to the convenient placement of the trimmer in the working position, to the correct balancing of the center of gravity.
reliable is a straight-bar trimmer. They use a rigid gear shaft. In curved rods, rotation is transmitted by a steel cable. This increases vibration and noise during operation, and also reduces trimmer life. But in work. braids with a curved shaft are more convenient.
For greater convenience, choose a trimmer with a swivel head. Also pay attention to the type of reel with fishing line (automatic or semi-automatic), to complete the device with a hard knife and other additional accessories.
Typical malfunctions of trimmers, how to fix them yourself
Like any technically sophisticated device operating in extreme conditions, trimmers can fail. The most common causes of damage are violations established by the manufacturer, the rules for operating a mechanized spit. For example, non-observance of the modes of alternating work and technological breaks, or irregular lubrication of the gearbox and other parts, which leads to overheating of parts and mechanisms.
Typical malfunctions of trimmers, most often manifested in various types of this device, are:
- failure of the working head of the tool, which is usually manifested in a violation of the supply of fishing line due to tangling or sticking, as well as mechanical damage to the bottom of the coil;
- malfunctioning carburetor lawn mowers;
- a break in the intermediate shaft of the tool, the cause of this malfunction may be the cutting of the splines with which it connects to the motor shaft;
- damage to the connecting sleeves of the main bearing installed between the cable and the trimmer head.
- clogged fuel and air filters.
Adhesion and tangling of the fishing line usually occurs when its quality is poor and the operating modes are violated, which leads to overheating of the trimmer head and fishing line. To resolve this issue:
- Remove the cover from the trimmer head, for which press fingers on the latches, and carefully unfasten the cover.
- Remove the reel of fishing line from the head. It must be removed carefully so that it does not jump out and fly away into the grass installed beneath it, a spring.
- Dissolve tangled or sticky fishing line, and charge it again. Fold the fishing line in half, and fix the middle in a special groove on the middle disk of the reel, which divides the reel into two compartments.
To wrap the fishing line on the trimmer coil, first of all, you need to fold it in half, and fix the middle into the corresponding groove
Wrap the fishing line simultaneously in both compartments of the reel in the direction indicated in the instructions, or on the reel itself, and secure the free ends of the fishing line in its grooves.
After winding the fishing line on the coil of the trimmer head, its free ends must be fixed in the grooves on the reel
For a trimmer, it is better to use a fishing line of the diameter that is recommended for use by the tool manufacturer. When buying, you should purchase a cord of more well-known brands, and not take the first caught fishing line of lower cost and an unfamiliar brand.
If the petrol trimmer does not start or its engine stalls after starting, the cause may be a carburetor malfunction or a clogged fuel filter. Malfunctions in the operation of the carburetor can occur when it is clogged, and sticking to the oil film of the valves of this device. This can happen if you do not fully develop the fuel-oil mixture and leave it in the tank for a long time.
To clean the carburetor, it is necessary to remove it from the engine and disassemble, alternately disconnecting the primer (manual pump for pumping fuel), all gaskets and the needle. Each part should be washed separately with a carburetor cleaner, blowing liquid from a cylinder into all its openings. After washing, when the parts have dried, you need to assemble the carburetor and put it in place.
The gasoline engine may also stall when the fuel filter is clogged with residual grass and dust. It, like the air filter, must be removed from the lawn mowers and rinsed with gasoline. After drying, the filters must be replaced.
Often in trimmers with a curved bar, the mowing head shaft overheats or stops spinning. This occurs when the main bearing is not properly lubricated or damaged. It consists of two bushings located one in the other. This part must be lubricated or replaced with a new one if the bushings are broken and the shaft is jammed. To do this, you must:
- Remove trimmer head.
To replace the main bearing, the trimmer head must be removed
Remove the protective cover.
To replace or lubricate the main bearing of the trimmer with a flexible shaft (cable), the mowing head and protective cover must be removed
Loosen the screw securing the main bearing and remove the bushings from the rod hole.
To remove the main bearing from the rod hole, first unscrew the retainer screw
To eliminate other malfunctions of the trimmer, including a shaft break or engine failure, you will need the help of a qualified specialist, which can be provided by a specialized repair service.
Work the lawn mow correctly and safely
Photos, instructions and safety rules are discussed in a separate article. read here.
How to make a do-it-yourself trimmer
The simplest electric braid can be built from plastic pipes, a small electric motor and a battery from a conventional screwdriver. To do this, you will need:
- a plastic pipe with a diameter of 40 mm of sufficient length so that it is convenient to mow the grass;
- a corner from a plastic profile at 45 degrees;
- plug on a plastic pipe with a diameter of 40 mm;
- adapter 40/50 mm.
- connecting wires.
To make the simplest battery trimmer with a lower engine arrangement out of these materials:
- Drill holes in the plug for installing an electric motor;
- Fasten the engine to the plug, and solder the wires to it. Install the assembled structure in a corner;
- Drill a hole for the switch in a convenient place on the pipe. Pass the wires coming from the engine through the pipe and attach the corner with the motor to its lower part.
- Install the switch button and terminals for connecting the wires in series to the battery outputs.
- Secure the battery through the adapter on the pipe. It fits perfectly in a hole with a diameter of 50 mm.
- From the blades of a clerical knife, a metal plate with holes and a bolt with a diameter equal to the diameter of the motor shaft, construct the cutting element of our trimmer. Attach this structure to the shaft using the wire terminal.
- Cut a protective casing from a plastic bucket and stick it to the corner with a hot glue gun.
The trimmer, quite capable of mowing the grass, even with a stiff and thick stem, is ready. For ease of use, they can come up with the simplest handle.
The trimmer is an indispensable tool for people who have their own plot of land, and want to keep it in order, not allowing grass and weeds to overgrow. The main thing is to be able to choose the perfect version of this device that is ideal for home or garden, learn how to use a trimmer and take care of it. The tips and recommendations outlined above will help you make a choice, and learn how to fix some malfunctions of mechanized braids with your own hands.
2 Makita UR3000
Best reliability in its class.
Country: Japan (made in China)
Average price: 4 901 rub.
Rating (2018): 4.9
Japanese company Makita is a brand that has long been synonymous with quality. And the UR3000 confirms this. The motor of this electric trimmer rotates around an axis 180 degrees. This feature makes it easy to align the edges of the lawn and cut grass around the bushes and flower beds.
Cutting head with a metal tip to extend its life. The fishing line is served semi-automatically. That is, for its release, you need to easily hit the ground with a steel tip of the cutting head, the excess will be cut off by the knife on the protective cover.
A sliding rod with a reach of 240 mm and an additional handle, adjustable in height, will allow you to customize the tool for yourself. A fuse button protects against accidental starting. Weighs Makita UR3000 with a length of 126 cm, only 2.6 kg. The model implements fixing the power cord in the extension cord. Another of the nice little things, safety glasses and a shoulder strap included.
- High-quality assembly;
- Height adjustable bar;
- You can turn the engine 180 degrees;
- Light weight;
- Shoulder strap and safety glasses included;
- Fixing the power cord.
- Sticking grass to the protective cover.
Not demanding on weather conditions
The best powerful electric trimmers
In this category, we consider electric trimmers with a capacity of 1000 watts. Such a tool will cope with almost any task. You can mow weeds, perennial grasses with a hard stem. And if the kit comes with a metal knife, then it is suitable not only for grass, but also for small bushes.