How To Assemble Cutters On A Walk-Behind Tractor
How to choose and install the cutters on the walk-behind tractor?
How to choose milling cutters for a walk-behind tractor? How to correctly assemble active cutters with your own hands? What are the best milling cutters for virgin soil? What is a crow’s feet cutter and what is it for?
The importance of making the right choice
Many novice summer residents think that the most important thing is to purchase a high-quality walk-behind tractor, but they do not pay due attention to the choice of cutters. Such a mistake can be costly when processing the territory, since the correct choice of cutters affects the following points.
- Cultivation quality. If you purchase and use high-quality cutters, you can even do without a plow.
- Saving time. Good cutters allow you to spend a minimum amount of time on carrying out certain work on the processing of a summer cottage.
- Mills provide ease of control of the walk-behind tractor. An incorrectly selected part can cause increased stress on the operator during the milling process.
In addition, poor milling cutters can put an increased load on the gearbox of the walk-behind tractor, which will negatively affect its durability and performance. It is necessary to choose such elements guided by many factors, including the power and type of soil to be treated.
How to choose and install the cutters on the walk-behind tractor?
- The importance of making the right choice
- Factory cutters
- Crow’s feet
- Saber models
- Installing the cutter
The choice of cutters for a walk-behind tractor is a responsible process, because this element plays an important role in the process of ensuring the efficiency of the device. In order to choose the right cutters, you need to understand the distinctive features of these products, understand what types and types of cutters exist.
Another popular type of milling cutter for a walk-behind tractor is “virgin soil”, which is in great demand due to its spiral shape. A distinctive feature of this species is its one-piece design, which allows it to cope without problems even with colossal loads.
The main disadvantage is the slow operation, as well as the fact that during the tillage the soil is pushed out, as a result of which small holes sometimes appear.
As for the advantages, there are a huge number of them, among which the following can be distinguished:
- Unlike other types of milling cutters for a walk-behind tractor, it copes well with virgin soil;
- Characterized by an impressive depth of cultivation;
- Allows you to process the soil with high quality;
- It is distinguished by a monolithic structure, which is a sign of reliability, strength and durability.
Houndstooth cutters are considered one of the most demanded on the market due to their high quality and reliability. The main disadvantage of such cutters is considered to be their non-separable design, which makes it impossible to carry out repairs in case of failure. However, if you choose a high-quality option, then it will be able to serve for many years, fully fulfilling its obligations. Among the main advantages of using such cutters are the following.
- The ability to decide for yourself how many sections of the plate can be put on the walk-behind tractor. However, it is important to take into account the technical features of the device and the required milling width.
- A robust design that allows the walk-behind tractor to be used for processing hard soils.
- It copes much better with plant residues.
- A unique sleeve that can be of several shapes. Hexagonal and round options are considered optimal. This allows you to choose the right option for any walk-behind tractor, regardless of its type and other indicators.
- Reduces the load on the gearbox, which prevents the device from overheating and has a positive effect on the durability of the equipment.
- It greatly simplifies the process of controlling the walk-behind tractor.
Such elements are considered very durable and reliable due to the fact that only steel is used in the production process. In addition, such models boast a unique design that makes them resistant to any mechanical damage. Saber-shaped models are included in the standard set of most motoblocks of European and American production. The effectiveness of such elements has been tested in areas with any type of soil, which favorably distinguishes them against the background of other models. These cutters are of high quality and high strength, which allows for high-quality soil cultivation.
The main feature of saber knives is that carbon steel is used for the manufacture of working bodies, which guarantees the reliability of every detail even after a year of active operation. In addition, the knives are specially treated and hardened using high-frequency currents, thanks to which they boast incredibly high durability.
Such rotary tillers are considered one of the most popular and demanded on the market. It is with these varieties that factory walk-behind tractors are completed. Depending on their purpose and design, these cutters can be assembled and collapsible. In the process of choosing, a person decides for himself which walk-behind tractor he needs, but it will not work to choose a certain type of cutter. If the equipment was originally equipped with an assembled version, then in the future it will be possible to use exclusively such models.
The cutter design may differ depending on the manufacturer and other features. It usually includes a pair of sections that are bolted together. The cultivation width, which can vary depending on the addition of sections, is of great importance when operating such an element.
A distinctive feature of the factory cutter is that it is offered complete with a walk-behind tractor. It will be quite enough for standard tasks. But it should be borne in mind that rotary tillers from a Chinese walk-behind tractor cannot boast of impressive efficiency. If low-quality metal was used in the production process, then problems will arise already during the first processing.
Required materials and tools
Purpose of the cutter
One of the most important processes in the cultivation of land is its cultivation. In the course of this work, plowing occurs, but there is no rotation of the seam. That is, the lower layer is not brought to the surface. The technique (in this case, a walk-behind tractor) performs passes of a given depth and at the same time loosens and crumbles the upper section. Externally, the field looks trimmed. Weed rhizomes are cut at the same time. And then you can apply fertilizers. Cultivation also has other advantages. Improved air access, accelerated heating of the earth, saturation of the soil with useful elements, the flag is kept. To perform this operation, you need a cutter.
Types of cutters
- Active saber-shaped. Are included in the standard equipment of many motoblocks. Well known among farmers and very popular. The structure is collapsible, which greatly facilitates transportation, storage, installation, repair and maintenance. Blocks are installed on the rotating axis (their number varies), each of which consists of four cutting mechanisms located at an angle of 90 degrees in relation to each other. They are held together with washers, bolts and nuts. A knife is a strip of metal bent in different directions in turn. The number of such knives, as well as the width of the module, depend on the power and weight of the equipment. They are made of high-strength hardened steel, which in addition is treated with high frequency electric current;
- “Crow’s feet”. This species, which appeared relatively recently, got its name because of its characteristic unusual shape, thanks to which it is possible to achieve excellent work efficiency, including on solid soils. The design is all-welded, it cannot be disassembled. The material is carbon steel, which is not the best way to affect the strength, so you need to work the land very carefully. Otherwise you can bend the product. However, repairs and welding can be done if necessary. At the end of the rack there is a triangle-shaped knife. It is self-sharpening. This means that it is allowed not to sharpen it at all if the equipment is used correctly.
In short, the milling cutter for the walk-behind tractor is assembled in the following order:
- Select the correct direction of rotation. Indeed, during operation, the sharpened part of the cutter will cut into the ground.
- Using bolts, install the blades of the cutter in the nests that are specially designed for this.
- Then put washers on the bolts and tighten the nuts carefully.
It is not so easy to make mistakes in the process, since everything is clear even intuitively. However, you should pay attention to the fact that the blades are embossed at the factory with the L and R markings. L means that the part will be installed on the left side, and R. On the right, respectively.
Installation on a walk-behind tractor
The finished structure is installed on the walk-behind tractor instead of the native wheels. This is not difficult, provided that the preliminary assembly was carried out correctly:
- Prepare the walk-behind tractor.
- Lean the entire mechanism on the ralnik (it is also called the opener).
- Tilt at 45 degrees.
- Install the so-called tragus made of wood under the handle of the walk-behind tractor.
- Just remove the wheels with which the walk-behind tractor is supplied from the factory.
Assembling the cutter
The active saber cutter is supplied unassembled from the manufacturing plant. This is due not only to the fact that this makes the product more compact (that is, it is cheaper and easier to transport), but also to the peculiarities of the metal, which does not like welding. Before installing the cutter on the walk-behind tractor, you need to assemble it.
It is not difficult to install the cutter on the walk-behind tractor, but for this you have to first assemble it, having properly organized the direction of rotation: the sharpened part should cut into the soil.
The tiller must be leaned against the opener, then tilted somewhere at the level of forty-five degrees, substituted under the handle of the rudder of the tragus. Further “a matter of technology”: just remove the wheel.
Before you start assembling cutters on a walk-behind tractor, you should think about its design, as well as the functions that it should perform. To do this, it is important to view similar products using the information in detail. Otherwise, the product will not do the work that is needed. This means that the actions will be meaningless.
First you need to make at least an approximate drawing, one of these is shown in. Based on this, all the necessary components are selected. And then you need to act according to the drawing, gradually collecting every detail.
When the assembly of the cutter for the walk-behind tractor is completed, testing should be done. This will allow you to immediately make adjustments to its design if the result deviates somewhat from the intended one.
How to assemble cutters on a walk-behind tractor
To cultivate land in modern conditions is much easier than it was half a century ago, for example. Today, there are many opportunities for this. For example, convenient walk-behind tractors, which, due to their compactness, but versatility, allow solving various tasks for the processing of even small land plots. As a result, they have found high popularity among peasants and summer residents who are engaged in soil cultivation.
The walk-behind tractor itself is not of great interest if it is not equipped with the necessary additional equipment. This is the only way to get the maximum. In this case, we will figure out how to assemble the cutters on the walk-behind tractor with our own hands.
They are needed when cultivating the soil. Therefore, the quality of processing and the complexity of the procedure itself depend on the model: load on the motor, ease of control and labor intensity.
How to assemble the cutters?
As a rule, the milling cutter is included with the walk-behind tractor. But that may not be enough. Sometimes an increase in the depth or width of processing is required, so the device can be supplemented with other products. This solution also allows you to improve the process of moving the walk-behind tractor. In addition, this will increase the service life of the mechanism.
If the ground is clayey, then it is better to use two pairs of tiller-cultivators. And even if the soil is light and has already been worked before, additional elements will not become a hindrance.
The depth change is possible due to the adjustable coulter. It is a durable element located vertically in the hitch of the walk-behind tractor. The final loosening depth is influenced by the diameter of the cultivator cutter.
If you want to make do-it-yourself cutters for a walk-behind tractor, you should start by determining their types. Two types of construction can be distinguished:
- “Crow’s feet”;
- With saber knives.
The last option is the most demanded, it can be called standard. After all, these types of products have been tested by time: their effectiveness is quite high. They have an optimal shape and material. Knives are made of high quality high strength steel. Additionally, the material undergoes thermal hardening and high-frequency current treatment.
It should be noted that cultivator cutters have a collapsible design. This feature is due to the fact that the material does not accept welding well. As a result, before installing the product on the walk-behind tractor, its preliminary assembly is required.
With regard to products “crow’s feet”, such products are used for hard soils. They have a solid construction, non-separable. Due to this, their strength is high.
Characteristics of crow’s feet:
- Weight. 16 kg;
- Speed. 2-5 km / h;
- Height. 38 cm;
- Length. 38 cm;
- Width. 41 cm.
Such products are effective in weed control and virgin soil cultivation. However, their disadvantage is the material of manufacture. Carbon steel. This affects the strength of the products: therefore, the virgin soil must be processed very carefully so as not to bend the products. However, this allows, firstly, welding, and secondly, repairs.
It should be noted that the cutter is a self-sharpening tool. Additional manipulations in this direction are not required.
It should be noted that the procedure is quite clear, but for clarity, the assembly of the milling cutter of the walk-behind tractor is also presented for clarity. This will allow you to more thoroughly understand the procedure, to do all the steps correctly. Then you will get a worthy product and addition for a walk-behind tractor, which allows you to cultivate the soil especially productively and efficiently. This means that the result of such actions with your own hands will be achieved.
These models have appeared on the market relatively recently. With their help, any virgin land can be cultivated, they are also effective when cultivating hard and difficult soil.
Features of this type of cutters:
- Solid construction, which provides high performance accuracy;
- The equipment fights weeds well;
- Ease of use, the ability to replace spare parts at home.
Such models, in contrast to saber cutters, are made of carbon steel, which is slightly inferior in strength.
Milling cutters for walk-behind tractor
Equipment such as a milling cutter is necessary for any walk-behind tractor, since it can be used to carry out most of the work related to soil cultivation. Basically, the rotary tiller comes complete with the unit, but in cases where you need to change the width and depth of processing, you should purchase the equipment separately.
Additional cutters allow you to increase the functionality of the walk-behind tractor and simplify work with it. Experts recommend having several pairs of cutters in your arsenal.
How to assemble the right cutters on a walk-behind tractor?
Do-it-yourself cutter assembly should be carried out as correctly as possible. And here it is especially important to make sure that the active part cuts into the ground during operation. For this, it is initially recommended to study the drawings, and then proceed to the manufacture of equipment. The following tools are required to create cutters:
- The rotor axis of the required length. It can be divided into two parts if you want to assemble a cutter from two blocks.
- Short axis.
- Reducer with clamps.
- Left and right knives.
- Bolts, washers, nuts.
Assembling the structure does not take more than an hour, but here it is important to install the knives so that they do not interfere with the rotation.
- The long rotor axis is equipped with knives at a 30 degree angle.
- It is necessary to combine four knives on one block, fixing them to the gearboxes.
- Next, the correctness of the design is checked and all fasteners are tightened.
This design is very reliable and can withstand quite high loads.
Saber cutter for walk-behind tractor
The most popular and versatile models that are effective in a variety of earthworks. These models use the optimal shape of the knives, for the manufacture of which manufacturers choose high quality durable steel.
The models have a collapsible design, so their installation and maintenance is as simple as possible.
Which cutters are best for a walk-behind tractor?
Such “knives” for tillage can be roughly divided into two large groups. Each of them has its own characteristics and is suitable for a certain type of work.
Installing cutters on a walk-behind tractor
To install the cutters on the walk-behind tractor, you should use special wooden tragus, the height of which should be about 50 cm. The unit must be supported on the opener and tilted at an angle of 45 degrees. Then the wheels are removed from it and cutters are put on. On the outer ends, on both sides, special plates are installed, which make the movement of the unit smoother and more stable.