How To Build A Doghouse
The correct location of the doghouse
The location of the booth should be protected from frequent winds, so that the dog is not blown. Also, the booth should not be in the open sun so that the dog does not overheat in summer. The ideal solution would be a bright place next to the shade. To prevent the formation of puddles under the booth and near it, the kennel is placed on high ground. In the rainy season, constant humidity will lead to the formation of dampness in the booth, which is bad for the health of the animal.
It is very important for dogs to see and control everything around, therefore their housing is set so that the viewing angle of the yard and the house is as wide as possible. Must be visible entrance gate into the area. Otherwise, the pet will be constantly restless or find another, less comfortable resting place. Large dogs are best kept in the aviary with a booth. The aviary will allow to isolate the dog from the yard, but at the same time it will see everything that happens around. Regardless of whether the fence is solid or with gaps, it is better not to install the booth where other people or animals often walk. Irritants should be as low as possible so as not to provoke a dog to barking. Constantly barking dog causes inconvenience to people and owners around.
The size of the booth
The size of the booth depends on the size of the animal. The booth should not be too big, because in winter it is difficult to warm up and the dog will freeze. In a small booth the animal will be cramped and uncomfortable. The dog must freely enter the kennel, unfold in it and lie stretched out.
To build a booth you need to know such dog sizes:
- Height at withers.
- The distance from withers to the tip of the front paws.
- Chest width.
- Length from nose to tail.
The height of the booth (H) should allow the dog to sit quietly inside and not touch the head of the ceiling. Therefore, the height is calculated as follows: height of the dog at the withers plus 10−15 cm The second parameter is important for determining the depth of the kennel (L): the dog must be placed inside so that it lies freely on its side, stretching its paws forward. To this distance must be added another 10−15 cm. Usually the booth consists of two parts: tambour and berth. Tambour performs an important function:
- the dog does not immediately fall from the street into its bed, that is, the dirt remains mainly in the vestibule;
- summer dog in the vestibule hiding from the sun;
- in winter the vestibule protects the bed from the cold.
On this basis, the width of the booth (W) consists of the width of the vestibule and the bed. The width of the vestibule can be made any, the main thing is that the dog can comfortably enter and leave it. But the width of the bed should be greater than the length of the dog from nose to tail 10−15 cm
Of great importance entrance to the kennel (manhole). It should not be too big so that in winter it does not let out the heat and does not let the cold through, or too little, so that the dog is uncomfortable to get inside or go outside. The height of the manhole (h) is 5–10 cm less than the height of the dog at the withers. The width of the manhole (w) is 5–10 cm wider than the dog’s width in the chest.
If the roof is shed, then the front wall should be higher than the back, as the water should flow behind the booth.
After sizing box Need to draw a sketch for the definition of the design and drawing for the convenience of building a kennel. It should be borne in mind that Laz usually do on a long wall closer to the corner. This also applies to the internal entrance in the presence of a vestibule. This placement allows you to leave more storage space.
Types of booths
- Only sleeper.
- Sleeper and vestibule.
- Small booth for small breeds (60 70 55 cm).
- Medium (75 120 80 cm).
- Large (110 140 100 cm).
Type building material:
- Wooden (the most common).
- With a flat roof. It has a practical advantage – dogs love to lie on the roofs of their homes and bask in the sun, or after rain, when the district is still damp and dirty.
- With a gable roof. In addition to the aesthetic advantage, it also has a practical one – you can equip an attic for keeping dog accessories (toys or something else).
- Plain rectangular shape.
- In the form of a house.
- Unusual design solutions.
Materials for the construction of the booth
Most often the kennel is made from wood. Preference should be given to conifers, because they are more reliable and their smell deterred insects. You can use a simple edged boards. Be sure to strap them, to polish, so that the animal does not receive a splinter. Also, boards should be treated with antiseptic, anti-parasitic, fire-resistant and moisture-resistant means.
Outside the kennel can to paint, but inside it is impossible to use paints and varnishes, as they emit substances, and the dog can be poisoned. Instead of boards, cement strand boards (DSP) are sometimes used. When choosing a material, one should be guided by its structure, so that it does not stratify, and on moisture resistance. Chipboard is not suitable for the construction of the kennel. This material emits toxic substances and has low moisture resistance. Plywood or fiberboard moisture proof, therefore it is better not to choose them. Concrete blocks and bricks are excluded, because after a while they will begin to crumble.
The roof is covered with any roof, usually it is slate or roofing iron. For insulation using mineral wool, sawdust or foam.
The lining inside the kennel is made of lining thickness 12.5 mm.
- The floor should not touch the ground, so the booth should be placed on the legs of bricks or make an inflated foundation. Paul make double and insulated. The frame for the floor of the booth is made of bars with a section of 10 10 cm. In the bars, pre-drill holes for the screws that connect the structure at the corners. Across the frame nailed additional boards 4 4 cm for the reliability of the floor so that it does not sag under the weight of the dog. Then floorboards are nailed tightly to the frame. The floor must be without gaps. This can lead to injury to the dog and to heat loss.
- In the corners of this design vertically nailed 4 bars a section of 10 10 cm. At the place of the future manhole two bars of 4 4 cm are nailed. The same bars are nailed between the corner bars for additional support of the roof and the strength of the walls. All these vertical racks must be connected at the top of the bars parallel to the bottom.
- Outside construction sheathed boards.
- The design is treated protective equipment. Then it is turned upside down on which the roofing material is attached for waterproofing. Then they fix two fixing bars with a cross section of 10 5 cm. They should also be treated with protective agents. Next, insulate the floor (design turned upside down). To do this, first stapler attached to the bottom Asphalt, A heater is placed on top and asphalt is again, it is necessary so that the heater does not get inside the booth. At this stage, you can lay finishing floor.
- The walls are insulated the same way as the floor. After laying the wall insulation inside sheathed clapboard.
- The roof can be flat or gable. In any case, the roof should be removable. So it will be more convenient to clean the kennel or provide emergency medical care to the pet. For a flat roof use 4 4 cm bars. They are made of frame, on top of which reinforce the wall paneling. Warming is similar to walls and floor. From above stack the second layer of lining and establish a roof. For a gable roof triangular elements are made – these are two bars connected at an angle of 40 degrees. These elements are nailed to the longitudinal rails of the booth wall and fastened to the top with a ridge. Further, the same steps as in the construction of a flat roof.
- Laz strengthen frame and can close the curtain. In winter, it will not release warm air from the booth, and in summer to let in hot air.
- The last stage consists in painting with varnish on the outer wall of the kennel. The minimum should be two coats of varnish.
As you can see, it is not so difficult to build a booth for your dog. The main thing is to make the right measurements, draw a drawing according to which the kennel will be assembled and not forget about the special impregnations and means that will contribute to the extension of the life of the personal dog house. It is necessary to use only natural materials, as synthetic emit chemicals and can knock the scent of a dog.