How to Change a Fishing Line on a Mower
Many owners of garden motokos are baffled by the issue of replacing fishing line in the trimmer head. Sometimes this turns into a whole problem, which can lead to an inoperative state not only of the tool, but also of the mower. To prevent this situation, we will analyze in stages the process of replacing the cord (fishing line) in the nozzle.
1. Remove the nozzle from the gearbox. To do this, you need to combine the side hole of the lower curly washer and the recesses on the axis, insert a screwdriver and fix the shaft against rolling. Then you can unscrew the nozzle. It should be remembered that the thread on the shaft has a left thread, respectively, it is necessary to unscrew the element by turning it to the right.
2. The next step is to disassemble the housing of this unit. Typically, the lid is secured through slots with clips. To open it, you need to drown the latches into the case and squeeze the edges of the cover. If the nozzle has an automatic or semi-automatic line feed mode, then there is a spring inside that can fly out during disassembly. Therefore, we hold all the details with your free hand and carefully lay it out on the surface.
3. Now we take the fishing line, measure 5 meters and cut this piece. It is not recommended to wind the cord, the diameter of which is greater than the value specified in the instructions for the tool. Otherwise, you can get an increase in engine load and increased fuel consumption. Fold the fishing line in half to find the middle and get such a “loop”.
4. On the reel, in its middle part there are 2 recesses located opposite each other (instead of recesses there can be holes). We hook the “loop” into one of the recesses and begin to wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the coil has two compartments, then the winding goes separately for each branch of the fishing line. We leave the last 15-20 cm of the cord free and clamp both ends through the recesses in the upper part of the coil.
5. We collect the feed elements (spring and washer) in the nozzle and output the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the cover, snapping the latches in the corresponding grooves. After that, we extend the free play of the cord.
6. It remains to screw the nozzle into place, acting similarly to the first stage. Only now, to spin an element, you need to move it counterclockwise.
Here is a simple instruction to help you quickly replace the trimmer fishing line, without spending much effort searching for other solutions.
The trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace a fishing line in a trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we will step by step analyze the entire replacement process. Looking ahead, there are two ways to tackle the trimmer spool with fishing line. There is no fundamental difference. the difference is that in the first case there will be one fishing line, folded in half, and in the second there will be two lines of such lines.
Disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the brushcutter. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It does not take much time.
We disassemble the trimmer spool. it rests on the latches-latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring housing
- Locking lid
- Button coil
The principle of action is as follows. By pressing the button, the coil presses on the spring and exits the locking grooves in the spool cover. While holding the coil in this state, you can twist, thereby adjusting the length of the fishing line. When you release the button, the housing spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Disassembled Trimer Spool
Bottom on the coil there are several holes for different diameters of the lines. Different trimmer manufacturers may vary. In some cases (as here) they are signed, in others not.
These holes are needed to fix the fishing line when replacing it. After winding on a woman’s fishing line, the ends of the latter are inserted into them. This is necessary so that the scaffold does not unwind at the time of installation of the coil in the trimmer housing. In other words, it facilitates the replacement of fishing line.
Fishing Line Holes
There are models without specifying the diameter of the consumable. Then, in order to find out what the maximum diameter of the scaffold can be used, it is tried on through the holes for withdrawing fishing line from the body of the trimmer spool (see the figure below).
Fitting on fishing line outlets
The reel has two sections for fishing line, separated by a partition. They may not be. They are needed only to distinguish and facilitate winding of the consumable.
Two sections for fishing line
Initially determined with the required length of the loess. The latter is wound in one of the sections of the coil so that it does not go beyond its limits. In this case, 3 mm was wound, the length was about 2 meters. Those. for two sections you will need a 4 meter cut. this is for the 1st method. For the second method, you need two segments of 2 meters.
Determination of the required length of fishing line
Now you need to figure out which side you need to wind it. To do this, many manufacturers of trim tabs on the coils apply special designations such as in the figure below.
Special designation on the reel
If such designations were not found, then you need to pay attention to the body of the spool. There is without fail an arrow that indicates the movement of the mowing head. The fishing line is wound in the opposite direction.
Designation on the spool housing
Bent in half fishing line
The prepared segment (in this case, 4 meters) is bent approximately in half. one segment should be 15-20 cm longer and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing partition.
The fishing line is inserted into the slot
In a previously defined direction, a fishing line is wound. This is done in a tight fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
Video: How to Change a Fishing Line on a Mower
There are designs in which the division of the coil into two sections is not provided. This does not change anything, the fishing line is wound in a similar way. It is only necessary to ensure that the segments do not overlap among themselves.
The first segment that ends at the bottom of the coil, i.e. one that is closer to the fixing holes.
This tip is placed in the corresponding diameter hole. The fishing line is firmly fixed.
The fishing line is firmly fixed
A long section is wound another half turn. There, it is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long section is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing.
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with force so that the fishing line previously fixed in the holes of the reel springs out. This is easily determined by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the fishing line pull
The button coil is latched into the trimmer spool housing.
Coil with button snap into the trimmer spool housing
Replacing the fishing line was successful. In this case, you need to install it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, you do not need to remove the spool from the trimmer. this was done to make the process of replacing the fishing line easier. You can disassemble the spool in place, wrap it on a reel and put it back.
Successfully replacing fishing line
The tips so that they do not hit the trim cover can and should be trimmed.
Method 2. two segments
Two wound lengths of fishing line
Method number 2 fundamentally no different from method number 1. The only difference is the two winded pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
The end of each segment is bent
The end of each segment is bent.
Two special locking sockets
There are two special locking sockets on the coil (see figure above).
Start winding the fishing line
They hook onto it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order.
The winding should be carried out in the following order: first the bottom line, i.e. the one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the upper one, i.e. one that will overlap the bottom section.
The bottom line is wound
The tips are made into the holes in the body of the trimmer spool. They are pulled up to a click, which indicates that the line has come out of the clips.
The tips are threaded into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is fastened into the housing. The fishing line in the spool is replaced.
The fishing line in the spool is replaced
VIDEO: How to wind a fishing line on a mowing head trimmer or Lawn Mower
How to wind a fishing line on a mowing head of a trimmer or Lawn Mower
Replacing the fishing line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
Feedback from our readers is very important to us. Leave your rating in the comments with the argument for your choice. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
When spring comes, people often spend their free time in their summer cottage. With the onset of warm days, they try to rid their area of problems such as weeds and grass. It is difficult to do it manually, especially if the area is very large, so a lawn mower will help. Thanks to this technique, you can trim the grass and remove weeds. this is a suitable device for mowing unnecessary plants near the fence, at home, between the rows in the garden on a flower bed and so on. Read about how to choose a lawn mower that is right for your needs. The cutting element in this device is a fishing line (strong polyethylene thread), which is wound on a special element. a reel. But over time, the fishing line wears out and there is a need for its replacement. The article will discuss how to refill fishing line in a lawn mower.
What kind of fishing line to choose to refuel the lawn mower
The thickness of the polyethylene yarn depends on the model of technology and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. She may be:
- with a round cross section. this is the most durable material for mowing herbaceous plants;
- with curly section. used for mowing soft plants;
- twisted. used for thin grass;
- professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the line on the lawnmower, you need to purchase a cutting thread, which will be ideal for a particular type of mower.
You can soak the thread in a bowl of water for several minutes to increase elasticity and strength.
The device of the line in the mower
The arrangement of the element on which the kapron thread is wound is very simple. This element is called a coil. It has two “tracks”. the upper and lower. Between these paths there is a special partition with a recess. A fishing line is wound around these tracks. It must first be pulled through the recess.
To be able to pull out the coil without obstacles, you must unscrew the special button, which is located on the mower body.
Features of replacing fishing line on video.
Replacement Instructions. How to Insert a Fishing Line
It should be noted that the coils in the mowers can be different:
- for functioning with one antennae;
- for functioning with two antennae;
- fishing line should be threaded through the through hole, which is located inside the element.
And do not confuse this part with an extension for a lawn mower on a reel, because despite the similar name they are two completely different elements.
The mini chainsaw is designed for simple jobs and for people who prefer to hold the device with one hand.
This article will tell you about how much the ZIL 130 dump truck weighs and what this transport is capable of.
Read here //machinspec.com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/stanok-dlya-zatochki.html how to assemble a machine for sharpening chains of chains with your own hands quickly and easily.
In the first version, it is very simple to wind the cutting element:
- On the inside of the coil element there is a locking eye.
- One antennae of the thread is inserted into it.
- It is necessary to refill the kapron thread in the direction opposite to the rotation of the bobbin element.
- It will take only from 2 to 4 meters of fishing line. When the winding process is completed, put the small end of this cutting element out and fix it in the groove, which is necessary to fix the fishing line so that it does not unwind during the operation of the mower.
- If there is no special groove, then the end should be held by hand so that the cutting element does not untwist during further collection of the element.
- At the last stage, it is necessary to thread the outer end of the thread into a special hole located on the outer part of the element. After that, the coil can be inserted into the mower.
When the roller works with two ends of a polyethylene thread, then the following steps must be taken to fill the line into the mower:
- Inside, the reel will show how many recesses there are for winding (two or one). If there is one recess, then both ends of the thread will be laid along this recess. If there are two, then the antennae are laid out separately. each in its recess.
- It is necessary to rewind from 2 to 4 meters of polyethylene thread and thread its two ends into the hole.
- Wind both threads in the same direction as the drum rotates.
- When all the fishing line is wound, the ends should be fixed in the grooves or held by hand.
- Both ends are threaded into the eye on the outside of the roller housing.
- After that, the drum is assembled and inserted into the mower.
Tips and steps for replacing fishing line on a video.
To insert a fishing line into a lawn mower, in which the reel contains two grooves, you must use the previous version of refueling this polyethylene thread. In this case, each of the ends of the fishing line will be wound along its groove. All other actions are similar to the previous process.
The coil element or roller may have a completely different design than the previous two options. The line can be threaded through the eye, which is through and located inside the reel. In this case, it is not necessary to disassemble the roller drum and manually wind the polyethylene thread.
The polyethylene thread is threaded through the hole and rotated by pressing a special button. This the button is located on the body and is designed to operate the equipment, to be able to produce fishing line as it wears out.
Do not worry that the polyethylene thread is wound in the wrong direction, since in this design it can spin in only one direction.
For quick and safe replacement of fishing line on the reel of the mower, safety precautions must be observed. Before removing the reel in order to wind the line onto the lawnmower, it is necessary to disconnect the equipment from the power supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here I want to mention the reliability rating of electric lawn mowers, which will help you choose a safe assistant.
Another important safety rule that must be observed is pressing the lock button. You can find out its location on the equipment body using the instruction manual. For example, the manual for a gasoline mower can be found here.
Do not forget that the cutting element must be adjusted. There is a tuning button on the unit body. If the process does not start automatically and the thread tension loosens, then the button is clamped and the line is pulled out of the reel with force.
It must be remembered that replacing fishing line in a lawnmower is an important process that requires responsibility. It is necessary to carry out everything in stages, and only a special polyethylene fishing line should be inserted into the reel. An iron cable, some high quality wire or even reinforced fishing line is not suitable here.
Watch the video instruction.
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds, you must use a lawn mower. If you are thinking of choosing an electric lawnmower or gasoline, then click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line on the mower wears out and requires replacement. this can be done independently. Choosing this polyethylene thread is necessary depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth watching about the remaining details of the unit, here for example you will find information about the Craftsman lawn mower knives, which also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The spool device into which the fishing line is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two thread antennae. It is important to observe safety precautions when replacing fishing line in the reel.