How to Change a Flywheel to a Stihl 55 Trimmer
Stihl mc 180 chainsaw. a concise overview of a reliable tool
Chainsaw Stihl mc 180 is a tool designed for sawing wood in the transverse direction. Chainsaw sprocket replacement. RemTehNet. Loading Wehrmacht chainsaw almost 70 years in operation. The equipment belongs to the prior art for domestic use. The model differs from professional tools in the material of the working bodies and is designed for use at times, not more than 40 minutes per cycle of work.
Varieties of saws and specifications
The demand for Stihl mc 180 chainsaws among amateurs is justified by the convenience of work and reliability.
The slender model weighs only 3, 9 kg. Saber, blade length of 35 cm allows you to cut logs or drop trees with a cross section of up to 30 cm. Power of a two-stroke motor 2 l. with. that allows you to do all the household work associated with the transverse sawing of boards and even firewood from any tree species. The fuel tank capacity is only 0.25 liters, but this allows you to work without stopping for 45-55 minutes.
Use for refueling should be a mixture consisting of recommended or transmission oil with unleaded AI-92 and AI-95 gasoline. The ratio is 25 ml of additives per liter of gasoline.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw chain features an endless, closed loop of 50 links. Other features:
- chain pitch. 3/8 inch;
- groove width. 1.3 cm;
- production material high-carbon steel, brilliant steel, victorious soldering.
The working mechanism, a saw set, includes a tire, an asterisk and an automatic lubrication system.
The chain tension system is located on the side, which is comfortable. A chain brake is foreseen.
Depending on the length of the tire and the modernization of the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw, there are a number of modifications. Saws with a saber length of 35 cm belong to the models marked 14, their length in inches is 14. The same equipment for the engine and its characteristics, but with a tire length of 40 cm, is called MS 180 16. Chainsaw Stihl mc 180 C-BE tool above class. It contains a 40 cm long busbar, a lightweight start-up system, and a quick chain tensioning system. Easy access to the air intake filter, a condition under which the tool life is extended.
Compliance with the instructions is the basis for long-term operation of the mechanism
An instrument for operation is attached to at least some instrument, all the more complicated, like a Stihl 180 chainsaw. Before making the first start, you need to study the technical management. This is all the more vital if you already have experience with the Friendship saw. Another assembly, the chain tension system, the conditions for starting and adjusting the tool require preparatory acquaintance. There are reports on the forums that the sawyer poured a candle on the first start. he repeatedly pulled the starter, it is necessary:
- move the lever to the last position;
- pull the starter slowly. 2 times;
- pull a couple of times sharply and swiftly.
So that there are no problems, gasoline must be produced to the end, without leaving “sour” in the tank for a number of days.
The operating annotation gives verbal definition of the marking on the tool body. There is also a feature line, the procedure for disassembling the Stihl 180 chainsaw for replacing nodes, sharpening the chain.
Warnings about working with high-risk equipment and about non-hazardous practices will help to avoid injury. Fundamentally, changing the chain, be sure to check whether it is recommended by the manufacturer. When carrying out a sprocket sprocket, Taiga Chainsaw Is Not a Chainsaw Sprocket Replacement. Replacing sprockets with if chainsaw For the best examples of Stihl or brands. Inconsistency of the nodes can lead to breakdown, failure to comply with the criteria for warranty service.
Replacement chain sprocket
Presenter chainsaw sprocket: how to change it on Chinese chainsaws, as well as on Shihl, Husqvarna, Oregon.
Stihl 180. replacement lead stars \ To the village!
Stihl 180 replacement leading stars to the Chinese counterpart. Our second channel on cooking and needlework :.
Saw Repair do it yourself
With the advent of the light and convenient Stihl MC 180 chainsaw in the household, it will completely replace the two-handed, bow and even a hacksaw. Over time, the chains become dull, the sprockets wear out, the oil supply system is damaged. Some problems can be fixed by yourself. Others require repairs at special service centers.
You can check if there is grease in the tank and if it enters the chain using a blank sheet of paper. Direct the tire onto a piece of paper; a characteristic mark in the form of an oil strip should remain on it.
You can repair the saw yourself only by understanding the assembly of the units and the sequence of operations for removing and restoring or replacing the unit. The Stihl 180 chainsaw instruction manual will become a reliable assistant. It is in it that you can find installation techniques and a sequence of repair operations:
- oil supply systems;
- bringing the carburetor to working condition;
- repair or replacement of the oil pump.
In addition, the home master can shorten the extended chain and sharpen it.
If the saw chain remains dry during operation or the oil leaks, it means that troubleshooting and repair of the chainsaw lubrication system are required Stihl 180. In doing so, inspect the oil pipelines and the density of the connection with the fittings. Be sure to clean the filter at the oil supply. If there is slight mechanical damage to the hoses, the tightness can be restored with sealant.
The carburetor makes itself felt by the difficulty when starting the saw, the running tool does not gain momentum, stalls when throttling. The reason may be the wear of the cuff on the piston, as a result it draws in air during discharge. For repair, the carburetor is removed and gets to the cuff on the accelerator, disassembling the assembly in the sequence:
- remove the cover with the membrane by unscrewing the screw;
- remove the snap ring;
- disconnect the air damper, remove the throttle;
- pull out the accelerator with a spring;
- replace the tiny piston with cuff and reassemble the carburetor in the reverse order.
Malfunctions may be due to the ignition system. After checking the performance of the candles and cleaning the soot, adjust the carburetor, the feed system and clean the injections. The carburetor is a complex unit and the operation of the chassis depends on its setting. If there is no confidence and skill, it is better to use the services of a specialist. Often, working on low-quality gasoline, with non-recommended oil, is the root cause of all malfunctions.
To help the master on the resources there is information on how to repair a Stihl 180 chainsaw with your own hands, for example, a video will show the disassembly sequence.
About the diagnosis of the lubrication system, see here:
Features of saw chains
The working mechanism of the saw is a chain. The manufacture of saw chains is carried out according to a special technology:
- The cutting element is made of high carbon steel, and the use of chromium plating or applying a victorious layer to the cutter. The more complex the manufacturing technology, the higher the cost of the chain.
- The hinge holes are ground to reduce friction and extend service life.
- Rivets are used only hardened by a special technology.
- Marks are applied to the teeth, by which it is possible to determine wear and perform uniform sharpening.
- After connecting the links in a chain, the product is subjected to stretching to ensure dimensional stability during operation.
A well-thought-out system of automatic chain lubrication increases the service life. New saws should be selected according to the characteristics specified in the instructions for use of the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
You need to know the chains with winning surfacing are 3-5 times more expensive than usual, but sharpen them with your own hands during repair Stihl chainsaws 180 is impossible. Employees of the Ministry of Emergencies use this tool more often.
For a long maintenance-free period, use the oil recommended by the tool manufacturer. A special mineral composition is used to prevent chain grinding. It is not permissible to use oil intended for addition to Stihl gasoline for saws.
It is often asked whether longitudinal cuts can be made with a Stihl 180 saw. The power of the saw allows you to work on cutting wood only across the fibers.
The price of a Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is significantly different. The most inexpensive basic model of a standard complete set. The cost of the device depends on the country of manufacture. A German or American product is more expensive than Chinese for well-known reasons.
Almost all models of modern chainsaws use a centrifugal clutch system. The specificity of this mechanism is that when the maximum number of revolutions of the gasoline engine is reached, the clutch drum starts automatically, transmitting rotation to the drive sprocket. This reduces the load on the basic parts of the tool, prolonging the life and maximum productivity.
Figure 1. Scheme of the device of the leading star
The clutch drum where the sprocket is located may be located on the inside or outside of the chainsaw body. There is always a lid on top to protect moving machinery from dirt, sawdust and dust. The coupling itself is a metal disc located in the coupling drum. The whole mechanism is mounted on the crankshaft of the engine with bolts with springs, on the edges of which friction pads are located. When the engine speed exceeds a certain value, a centrifugal force occurs, exerting strong pressure on the inside of the drum. After that, an asterisk starts. the rotation of the chain saw begins.
Important! It is the sprocket that drives the chain of the chainsaw. All parts of this mechanism are closely interconnected, damage to the headset leads to disruption of the instrument.
Kinds of stars
Depending on the class of the chainsaw, all the stars are divided into two groups. professional and household. The first type of parts have increased wear resistance, made of durable metal alloys, not subject to corrosion and mechanical damage. Households often require replacement and scheduled repairs, with the active use of the tool, diagnostics are recommended every six months. By design features, the following types of stars can be distinguished:
- National teams. The removable crown easily unscrews from the axis of the drum, which simplifies the inspection and replacement of this part. Almost all European chainsaw models are equipped with such stars.
- Whole. They consist of a hub and a stationary crown (the number of teeth may be different, you must carefully read the instructions for the chainsaw). Due to the factory press fitting, the crown cannot be removed separately from the hub, therefore, if the breakage occurs, it is necessary to disassemble the entire clutch drum. Such a mechanism is usually found on Chinese models.
If you plan on your own to service a chainsaw, it is recommended to purchase a tool with a professional type of drive sprocket. It should be collapsible, which reduces the cost of repair and maintenance of the tool.
When is a replacement needed?
The saw headset and drive sprocket are subject to natural wear during operation. This is not a breakdown, but a routine tool maintenance procedure. Reasons to replace sprockets:
- intensive and continuous operation of the saw;
- mechanical shock to the headset;
- use of the wrong chain.
Figure 2. Leading star on a chainsaw
Normal wear of the teeth of the drive sprocket is up to 0.5 mm. With regular operation, this indicator can reach up to 1 mm, but over time it will lead to a load on the engine, damage to other parts of the saw. The following signs can determine the need for replacement or repair:
- there is mechanical damage on the guide sprocket;
- the width of the teeth is disproportionate to their height;
- there are asymmetric angles;
- on a nave there are chips, furrows or large barbs.
If you do not timely diagnose and prevent the moving parts of the chainsaw, the vibration increases and the effect on the bearings of the crankshaft increases. As a result, this leads to costly repairs, serious damage to the tool.
Important! Manufacturers recommend inspecting the coupling drum when the chain comes in contact with a metal object during sawing.
How to change a star on a chainsaw?
If the chain begins to vibrate even at low speeds, the chainsaw is operated for a long time without replacing parts. it is required
carry out diagnostics and, if necessary, change the components of the saw headset. For a planned replacement, you will need a new clutch drum or whisk, depending on the specific model, a basic set of tools:
- candle key;
- cable up to 15 cm long or piston stopper;
- factory wrench for coupling removal;
- adjustable spanner or wrench.
Figure 3. Necessary tools for replacing a star
It is recommended to have a round file, pliers, a vice and a knife to eliminate defects in the design from the chain headset (if only tooth correction is required).
How to unscrew?
It is easy to remove and replace this part yourself. Work technology:
- Fasten the piston to the saw cylinder. First, remove the protective cover on the housing, the air filter and unscrew the spark plug. Install a special piston stopper in the formed hole. you can use a thick nylon cord or wire up to 15 cm long instead. If the piston interferes, you can slightly twist the sprocket or move the chain clockwise.
- Remove the bolts on the cover that secures the tire, remove the protective cover. Release chain tension or remove saw headset. At the same time, dust, dirt and sawdust can be cleaned.
- Depending on the model, the sprocket acts as an element of the clutch drum or to be built in separately. In the second option, remove this part, replace with a new one. The one-piece design is difficult to repair. you need to disassemble the assembly. To do this, unscrew the coupling clockwise, remove the drum. Check structural parts for wear and deformation.
Figure 4. Replacing a star with a new one
If the sprocket is an element of the clutch drum, then the entire part will have to be changed. When replacing, you should pay attention to the conformity of the model. it should be similar to the factory one.
How to assemble?
Hitch assembly should be done in reverse order. First install the sprocket on the needle bearing, then put on the drum, washer, gasket and the coupling itself. Tighten counterclockwise, gently lock the piston.
Video: How to Change a Flywheel to a Stihl 55 Trimmer
If the chainsaw has an oil drive spring, it can be integrated into the drive sprocket. In most models, the correct location of this element is marked with a special color or notch. To get to the desired position, turn the sprocket until it clicks.
The final stage of assembly is the installation of the saw bar. During this process, it is required to release the hand brake and then check that the teeth of the chain are in the corresponding grooves. After installation, mount the chainsaw chain to working condition. At the end, remove the stopper, screw in the spark plug and replace the filter. The final step of the repair is fixing the protective cover of the case.
Features of replacing the star for chainsaws of different brands
When replacing or repairing a chainsaw, the design features of the model should be considered. Specificity of service of a coupling drum of popular manufacturers:
- Stihl (stihl). Models of this brand have integral and collapsible types of stars. To unwind the clutch, you need a 19 head and a knob. It should be noted that the thread is left, and a reflective plate is installed behind the clutch (consumable material, it often breaks when diagnosing a drum).
- Partner (Partner). The peculiarity of this brand is that when replacing the sprocket, it is recommended to change the bearing. If you ignore this step, after a scheduled repair, there is a risk of chain disruption, change in pitch with active sawing.
- Husqvarna (Husqvarna). Many Husqvarna models use an interchangeable crown sprocket. This simplifies scheduled replacement and repair. When parsing the tool, a 13 key is required to fix the shaft on the impeller side.
- Carver (Carver) Unlike other manufacturers, there are no specific features of the clutch design. Depending on the brand, the star can be solid or collapsible.
Before starting a scheduled repair, it is recommended that you carefully read the instructions. It indicates important design features of the saw, the frequency of replacement of consumables.
Feature of saw designs
Professional chainsaw brand STIHL
In operation, there are already several dozen chainsaws from different manufacturers, capacities, and most importantly special purposes. The saws are divided into:
- professional (for felling and construction);
- household (garden).
Accordingly, the drive gear will be different for them, as well as the sequence of actions. This is a feature of saw gearboxes. With most professional tools, the tire can change its location on the saw in two planes.
Chain sprocket, crown and bearing
The vast majority of household saws are sold under the brand name Partner. They simply change the star even at home, having bought a repair kit.
Since most often the asterisk in household saws is a prefabricated mechanism, it rotates due to the bearing. That is, changing the sprocket, you inevitably change the bearing and not the shaft.
In professional models (such as Stihl and Husqvarna), as well as in household ones, if it is not possible to have a specialized key for removing a star, use a soft cord with a diameter of 5-6 mm.
In all cases, the sequence of actions is as follows:
It looks like a chainsaw tire
- After the sprocket is free, you need to unscrew the spark plug to access the engine piston.
- Manually rotating the sprocket, move the piston almost to the very top of the channel and fill the hole most tightly formed from the candle with a soft cord, thereby blocking the movement of the piston.
- Use the open-end wrench and unscrew the sprocket, depending on the model of the saw and the type of gearbox.
Please note: before starting to replace the sprocket, remember that there is a driven sprocket on the end of the bus. Each manufacturer prepares a saw with tires having the same slot pitch in advance. They must match, otherwise the chain cannot be put on the saw.
Thus, adhering to the recommendations given in the article, you can easily remove the sprocket from the chainsaw yourself.
How to remove and replace the drive sprocket on Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws is described in detail in this video:
When and why do I need a replacement for a worn chainsaw sprocket
The drive chain sprocket or chain saw is one of the most important parts of the saw. The main function of the chainsaw sprocket is to transmit engine torque to the saw chain. This transmission is through a centrifugal clutch. By type of sprocket, can be divided into professional and household, as well as chains. During operation of the chainsaw and sawing wood, the drive sprocket, like the chain, gradually wears out.
Let’s find out in more detail why the replacement of a worn chain saw or chain saw sprocket is necessary and when it is better to perform such a change.
The main signs that an asterisk need to be changed:
- the chain was replaced twice on your chainsaw (one of the operating rules for operating the chainsaw and saw is that with frequent and active use of the tool, after two chain changes, the drive sprocket should be replaced);
- sawing quality deteriorated, the chain began to need to be pulled more often;
- you have installed a new chain that the old drive sprocket does not fit (this part is not universal, and also has its own step, in addition, the steps of the drive and driven chain sprockets must match, otherwise the tool will not work);
- You are using another bus, shorter or longer.
Video about replacing asterisks on a chainsaw:
Why replace an asterisk?
Remove a worn star for the following reasons:
- with an old asterisk, the saw chain will stretch very quickly. after several applications the chain will hang, and the tension will not help;
- if you put a new chain on an old sprocket, the smoothness of the chain will decrease, the cut quality will deteriorate, the chain will lead to the side when cutting;
- general wear of the chainsaw will accelerate, the tool may fail at any time;
- the chain may break or the chain will jam during operation (dangerous by injuries to the hands and damage to the saw body, chainsaw);
- the tire will heat up faster, which will lead to quick overheating of the chainsaw;
- The load on the engine and housing will increase.
Important! Do not replace at your own discretion the size of the sprockets during repair, use the manufacturer’s standard. Unauthorized replacement will lead to a deterioration in the performance of the chainsaw or saw.
Video on how to change an asterisk on a chainsaw:
Are there any ways to extend the life of an existing star?
The main ways to extend the working life of the leading chain saw sprocket:
- use multiple chains (preferably three). This method is the most gentle and convenient for the owner of the chainsaw in that you do not need to constantly tighten the chain worn out by intensive work. Operation of three circuits in turn will save the sprocket’s life and delay its replacement;
- high-quality maintenance of the drive sprocket bearing. This part plays an important role in the operation of both the drive sprocket and the engine. A special lubricant is recommended for lubrication. The sprocket bearing is not always activated, but only at idle, therefore, it needs periodic lubrication. You can use tire grease, such as standard grease from Repsol or Husqvarna.
Is it wise to try to fix or sharpen an asterisk?
The cost of this spare part is small, and an independent repair or attempt to restore a worn part never leads to efficient operation of the chainsaw. It is recommended to replace the part with a new one with signs of wear.
How to unscrew an asterisk on a chainsaw:
What tools are needed to replace the sprocket
To replace the drive (drive) sprocket, you will need such tools and accessories:
- a special key for removing this part (usually supplied with expensive branded chainsaws, cheap saws are not equipped with such a key);
- drift from aluminum or copper (only from soft metals and only in the absence of a key);
- hammer (for striking a punch in the process of unscrewing the sprocket);
- flat screwdriver for tightening the nut;
- grease for sprocket bearing.
Construction problems, differences between different models
Branded chainsaws have a special design that does not allow replacing a worn-out drive without removing the clutch and other parts of the chainsaw. That is, the saw needs to be almost completely disassembled. modern models of expensive chainsaws are always equipped with a special key.
Also, the owner of the chainsaw may encounter such a nuance: on Chinese imported chainsaws or saws, the asterisk on the clutch mechanism can be located in an unusual way. On older models, when the teeth of the chain are worn, you need to unscrew and change the drum, one-piece with a drive. On newer models, you can replace the sprocket separately.
Algorithm for self-changing drum clutch with sprocket
How are the leading sprockets replaced on a saw or chainsaw. more on this in more detail.
For the sprocket replacement procedure, you need to do the following:
- remove the chain brake cover and pull it towards you (avoid contacting the brake band with the clutch parts);
- using a wrench, loosen the nuts that hold the chain tension and the chainsaw cover;
- remove the chain and then the tire by removing debris and sawdust from the mounting holes;
- we fix the piston in the cylinder using a normal lace, but if possible, use a piston stop or a special clamp;
- the clutch begins to rotate and do so until the piston touches the outlet;
- after which the stopper or cord is lowered into the candle opening and fixed there, tying several knots (the stopper will fix itself);
- unscrew the clutch nut (note. the thread of this nut is left, take this into account when unscrewing);
- hard tools must not be used so as not to break the soft metal clutch nuts;
- then the clutch is removed;
- after they remove the pinion gear itself;
- replace the old sprocket with a new one;
- reverse the assembly of the structure.
Video about replacing asterisks on a chainsaw or saw
“I’ve been sawing a Chinese chainsaw for five years, there’s a slight backlash in the sprocket, I think that because of this, large logs are given to saw very hard. The service center can’t really say anything, and I don’t know which star there should be, that is, which model to replace so that there is no play. Saw while on the move, no other complaints. "
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is considered one of the most reliable among the models of its segment. But the technique is the technique, and sometimes malfunctions arise, the elimination of which may require the repair of stihl ms 180.
You will learn more about the repair of nodes by reading the article.
Can I repair the saw with my own hands?
This is the very first question that arises before the owner of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, which for some reason has ceased to function normally. To answer which definitely will not work. It will be correct to say: it is possible, but is it necessary? Repairing a chainsaw in a service center is of course more expensive than trying to fix the problem with your own hands, but using the services of specialists, you get guarantees and confidence that the chainsaw will be properly configured and adjusted. In general, the choice is yours.
Another small nuance regarding the choice to repair on their own or not, is that for the diagnosis of the chainsaw and its further disassembly and repair, it is necessary to have some specific tools and certain knowledge of the design of the saw. Otherwise, you cannot even unscrew and remove the flywheel without damaging it.
Carrying out independent repair of the saw, aluminum fan blades located on the flywheel are often broken off. This is because when disassembling, they do not use a special crankshaft stopper, but try to fix it by installing a screwdriver between the saw body and the flywheel blades, which leads to sad consequences. The flywheel nut has a serious tightening torque, and the blades are brittle and unable to withstand such a force.
Stihl 180 Repair Tools
To carry out a relatively high-quality repair of the Stihl ms 180 chainsaw yourself, you will need to have:
- air compressor (for cleaning a chainsaw and purging the main components and assemblies);
- a vacuum gauge is necessary to check the tightness of the crankcase and carburetor, as well as to identify defective oil seals;
- piston stop, to limit the stroke of the crankshaft;
- electronic tachometer, in order to properly configure the chainsaw carburetor;
- STIHL Torx 27 t-key or equivalent;
- puller for crankshaft bearings.
Only with these tools, repairing a Stihl 180 chainsaw with your own hands can be performed quite qualitatively.
Common breakdowns of the Stihl 180
Common malfunctions on a Stihl chainsaw include:
- Starter cable breakage;
- Wear on the drive sprocket;
- Leaks in the oil supply system for chain lubrication;
- Wear of the worm gear of the oil pump;
- Air leaks through oil seals into the crankcase;
- No spark on the spark plug;
- Lack of fuel supply in case of malfunctions in the carburetor (we will not dwell on them, since the repair and adjustment of the carburetor of the chainsaw is a fairly broad issue and will be considered in a separate article);
- Breaking in of the eye of the seat under the engine control lever.
Now we will consider the malfunctions in more detail and begin with the repair of the oil pump.
Repair of the oil supply system
If there is no oil supply to lubricate the circuit, it is necessary to diagnose the entire system and determine the reason why the oil is not supplied. The main reasons may be several:
- Clogged oil filter or oil system;
- Lack of thread on the oil pump worm gear;
- Blockage or malfunction of the pump itself;
- Depressurization of the oil system (there will be oil smudges on the bottom of the chainsaw).
To check the thread on the worm drive of the oil pump, you will need to remove the drive sprocket of the chainsaw and untwist the clutch. To do this, the spark plug is screwed out and a piston stop is installed in its place, thereby ensuring reliable fixation of the crankshaft of the tool from turning.
Next, the cover is removed from the side of the Stihl 180 chainsaw tire, and with the help of a screwdriver, the retaining ring holding the drive sprocket is removed, after which the sprocket itself is removed.
In this way, the Stihl 180 chainsaw sprocket is also replaced if necessary.
The clutch is untwisted by means of a head on 19 and a winch. It is necessary to untwist the clutch in a clockwise direction, since the thread is left. A reflective plate is installed behind the clutch, it must also be removed. The next part is the worm gear of the oil pump. Having examined and discovered the absence of plastic thread, you can safely throw out the part and install a new one instead, since its restoration is impossible. The Stihl 180 chainsaw is assembled in the reverse order.
If the gear is in normal condition, the saw continues to be disassembled, for this, the corkscrew is removed, the rear handle is untwisted and the throttle control rod is disconnected, after which the handle block is removed from the shock absorbers using a powerful slotted screwdriver.
Remove the handles to provide access to the bottom at the installation site of the oil pump.
In the next step, the oil hose coming from the oil tank is removed from the seat on the housing and the line is checked for blockage by supplying air through the oil hose to the oil tank housing. If a blockage is found, it must be cleaned, if it is impossible to do this, the defective hose must be replaced.
Next, the oil pump is removed from the body of the Stihl 180 chainsaw and washed in gasoline.
Typically, Stihl oil pumps rarely become unusable and require replacement. Basically, the reason for the lack of oil supply in the blockage, so rinsing and checking the pump gear for cranking, you can be sure that after reassembling the Stihl 180 chainsaw, the problems with oil supply will disappear.
After repair, we assemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw in the reverse order. An important point is the sealing of the oil hose at the installation site, in the seat on the housing. It is necessary to rinse the hose and the hole for its installation with gasoline, then blow it with compressed air until it dries completely and coat it with oil-tight sealant, and then reinstall it.
Stihl 180 chainsaw control key broke. how to fix
A frequent breakdown of the Stihl chainsaw, which happens due to the fault of the operator, is a malfunction in the engine control mechanism. precisely, when the seat for the control lever breaks off due to its design features, to solve this problem, it will be necessary to replace the saw body, which is difficult to do on your own. Consider the do-it-yourself repair algorithm, which is used to replace the chainsaw body:
- The housing is freed from the handle block;
- The starter is removed, for this, the covers are removed from the fuel and oil tank and the fastening screws of the starter are loosened;
- Further, through the spark plug hole, a piston stop is installed in the cylinder, the flywheel is untwisted and removed from the engine shaft;
- The drive sprocket is removed and the clutch spins;
- Two 8 mm nuts that hold the air filter housing and the carburetor are untwisted, the modules are removed from the seats;
- At the next stage, 4 screws are fastened that hold the engine on the housing. In the case of the Stihl 180 chainsaw at the installation site of the engine mounting screws, special bushings are mounted that can independently fall out and be lost.
- The last point is the removal of the oil pump, the rubber elbow of the carburetor and the fuel and oil tanks.
Install parts in a new enclosure in the reverse order. In parallel with the elimination of the main malfunction, you can check the rubber elbow of the carburetor, the part that has exhausted its life and has lost elasticity must be replaced.
Oil seal replacement
How to repair a Stihl 180 chainsaw if oil seal replacement is required? It is necessary to disassemble the engine, for which you will first need to remove it from the chainsaw. Removal is carried out according to the algorithm described in paragraph: "The control key of the Stihl 180 chainsaw has broken. how to fix it."
After the engine is removed, 4 screws securing the engine pan are loosened, after which it is removed. Thus, removing the pallet, we gain access to the seals and bearings of the crankshaft.
An important point when replacing oil seals is the re-installation and sealing of the pallet.
To carry it out qualitatively, it is necessary to clean and degrease the pallet and the place of its installation on the saw cylinder, and then grease it with sealant and install the pallet by tightening it crosswise to the required force.
At the time of installation of the pallet, it is important not to confuse the location and set so that the cast to hold the oil pump housing is located in the opposite direction from the flywheel, otherwise it will be impossible to put the engine back into the saw body.
The assembly of the chainsaw after repair is carried out in the reverse order.
How to replace the starter cord
Quite often, the starter cord needs to be replaced due to a break. Let’s see how it can be replaced without contacting a service center.
To remove the starter from the Stihl 180 chainsaw is quite simple, even without removing the handle block, for this you will need to unscrew the fastening screws and remove the covers of the oil and fuel tanks. After which, slightly raising and deploying the starter, remove it from the seat.
The starter cord is wound on a special drum, which is installed in the body of the part. To replace the cord, there is no need to remove the drum, just remove the tattered cord and rewind a new one.
Use an original Stihl cord with a suitable cross-sectional diameter to replace. If the cord is thicker, the number of turns of the cord wound on the drum will decrease, which will lead to a decrease in the stroke of the starter.
After the cord is wound on the drum, it is necessary to pass through the starter housing and installing the handle to fix it using several knots made one after another. Next, the working stroke of the starter is checked, and if everything is in order, the part is installed in place.
A video that shows how to replace the starter cord yourself can be seen below. The wizard comments in detail all the stages of replacement, starting with the removal of the starter and ending with the installation.
Starter malfunctions and their elimination
What other malfunctions happen to the starter? One of them is the failure of the return spring, the restoration of which is impossible and the part will need to be replaced.
It is recommended to do this in the service center, as the process is quite complex and requires some practice.
Stihl 180 ignition adjustment
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw has an electronic ignition system, the adjustment of which is to set the gap between the flywheel and the ignition coil of the Stihl 180 saw. To adjust, remove the starter, loosen the two screws that secure the ignition coil and place a strip cut out of the plastic bottle between the flywheel and the contacts of the coil. tighten the fastening screws.
To check the clearance, it is necessary to turn the flywheel and check whether the coil contacts touch it.
Stihl MS 180 is a fairly reliable saw, but if it is used improperly, using poor-quality lubricants or due to negligence of the operator, malfunctions can occur. To repair the saw with your own hands, you must have certain knowledge and a special tool, in the absence of which repair is impossible. Do not forget that the Stihl 180 chainsaw is a technically complex tool and its maintenance is best done in a service center.