How to change line on a Stihl trimmer
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
A trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many people own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace the line in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we will walk you through the entire replacement process step by step. Looking ahead, there are two ways to line the trimmer spool. There is no fundamental difference. the difference is that in the first case one line will be refueled, folded in half, and in the second there will be two such lines.
Preparing for replacement
We disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the lawn mower. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It doesn’t take long.
We disassemble the trimmer spool. it rests on the latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort to do this with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring case
- Cover with locking latches
- Button coil
The principle of operation is as follows. By pressing the button, the spool presses on the spring and comes out of the locking grooves in the spool cap. Holding in this state, the reel can be twisted, thereby adjusting the length of the line. When the button is released, the body spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Disassembled trimmer spool
On the bottom of the reel there are several holes for different diameters of the lines. They may differ from trimmer manufacturer. In some cases (like here) they are signed, in others they are not.
These holes are needed to fix the line when changing it. After winding the fishing line on the bobbin, the ends of the latter are inserted into them. This is necessary so that the scaffold does not unwind when the coil is installed in the trimmer body. In other words, it makes it easier to change the line.
Holes for fixing the line
There are models without specifying the diameter of the consumable. Then, in order to find out what the maximum diameter of the scaffold can be used, it is tried on along the holes for the outlet of the fishing line from the trimmer spool body (see the figure below).
Fitting on the holes of the line output
The reel has two line sections separated by a baffle. They may not exist. They are needed only to delimit and facilitate the winding of the consumable.
Two sections for line
First, they are determined with the required length of the loess. The latter is wound into one of the sections of the coil so that it does not go beyond its limits. In this case, 3 mm was wound, the length turned out to be about 2 meters. Those. for two sections you need a 4-meter segment. this is for the 1st method. For the second method, you need two segments of 2 meters each.
Determining the required line length
Now you need to figure out which way you need to wind it. To do this, many trimmer manufacturers apply special designations to the spools, such as in the figure below.
Special designation on the reel
If no such designations were found, then you need to pay attention to the spool body. There is necessarily an arrow that indicates the movement of the mowing head. The line is wound in the opposite direction.
Bobbin case designation
The first way
Line bent in half
The prepared segment (in this case, it is 4 meters) is bent approximately in half. one segment should be 15-20 cm longer, and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing partition.
The line is inserted into the slot
The line is wound in the direction determined earlier. This is done in an interference fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs that do not provide for dividing the coil into two sections. This does not change anything, the line is wound in a similar way. You just need to make sure that the segments do not overlap with each other.
How To Change Your String On A Stihl String Trimmer Bump Feed
The first should end that section, which is located at the bottom of the coil, i.e. the one closest to the fixing holes.
This tip fits into the corresponding hole in diameter. The line is securely fixed.
The line is securely fixed
A long segment is wound half a turn. There he is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long segment is wound another half turn
Stihl Trimmer Line Replacement
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool body.
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool body
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with effort so that the fishing lines previously fixed in the holes of the reel jump out from there. It is easily identified by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the line pull up with effort
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing.
Button spool snaps into trimmer spool housing
The line was changed successfully. In this case, you need to put it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, there is no need to remove the spool from the trimmer. this was done for clarity of the process of replacing the fishing line. You can disassemble the spool in place, wind it on the spool and put it back.
Line replacement completed successfully
Tips so that they do not hit the trimmer cover can and should be trimmed.
Method 2. two segments
Two coiled line lengths
fundamentally no different from the method The only difference is two wound pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
The end of each segment is folded
The end of each segment is folded.
Two special fixing sockets
There are two special fixing sockets on the coil (see picture above).
We begin to reel the fishing line
They cling to it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order
The winding must be carried out in the following order: first the lower line, i.e. the one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the top one, i.e. the one that will overlap the bottom section.
The bottom line is reeling
The tips are cut into the holes in the trimmer spool body. They are pulled up until they click, which means that the line has come out of the latches.
The tips are threaded into the holes in the trimmer spool body
The coil is fastened into the body. The line in the spool has been replaced.
The line in the spool has been replaced
How to wind line on a Stihl trimmer video
How to wind the line around the trimmer cutter head or lawn mowers
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
Feedback from our readers is very important for us. Leave your rating in the comments with the reasoning for your choice. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
STIHL lawn mowers, stringing the AutoCut 25 2
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the trimmer coil button on the ground, then the prerequisites for this are the following.
Option 1. a bite came out, i.e. clamping the cord between turns. This discrepancy usually arises if the user wound the line on the reel unevenly, with crossing turns, or wound it with the missing tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, and as a result, the inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is caused. To eliminate the difficulty, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, in even turns with a good tension.
Option 3.2. very short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). Then the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to suspend the unit (turn off the engine in another way, disconnect the trimmer from the network) and pull out the line manually, having previously pressed the button.
Option 3. the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This results in the coil not spinning when the button is pressed. In the main, this happens for several reasons: poor cord quality, overheating of the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, line hitting solid objects.
- At the beginning, the cord of third-party manufacturers, you will like more, is made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not hold mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, you should give preference to “branded” lines.
- If, in spite of this, you got a fishing line of an unknown property, and it is often soldered during its work, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the coil, moisten it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the turns of the line to each other.
- Also, the line can be soldered if during the mowing time it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). Upon completion of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that is done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the line.
How to Change the Coil for a Stihl Trimmer
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electronic, is the only solution for cutting grass in inaccessible places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. In the role of a cutting tool in trimmers, iron knives or a special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. However, unfortunately, trimmer heads become unusable over time during use. Of course, some malfunctions can be removed at home, and for some, a complete change of the mowing head will come in handy.
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both conventional and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) lawn mower.
- mowing head base;
- button for automatic feeding of a cord;
- bobbin (spool) where the line is tucked;
- eyes. through their fishing line goes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also more conventional trim heads shown in the following photo.
These attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in automatic mode (after pressing the button). If the passage of the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Trimmer users and lawn mowers are often faced with a problem with the automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions are as follows:
- the line is not lengthened automatically;
- the cord spontaneously comes out of the reel.
Replacing the stihl fs 38 trimmer bearing
There are situations when the trimmer user notices a very fast line flow. With all this, he never once hit the ground with a button to lengthen the line. The absence of a spring in the mowing head is a prerequisite for the line spontaneously lengthening when it is cut with a special knife on the casing of the machine. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressing spring in the head, or they completely lose it when the cover is opened, and in the near future, they do not even suspect of its existence.
Also, the line is lengthened without using the buttons if the spring is weakened. If checking the spring confirmed this fact, then several washers need to be slipped under it in order to strengthen its pressing characteristics.
Owners of trimmers, mostly brand new, come to confusion, adjacent to panic, when there is a need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewed in the reverse direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to change the tool, it is recommended to study in detail the step-by-step annotation given below.
- While threading the line into the spool, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the attachment attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer on the axis, and inserting an iron bar or a screwdriver there.
Gasoline tool ignition system
- Take a piece of plywood on a different PCB and draw a circle with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw, in other words, a hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that fits across the gearbox shaft. You also need to think ahead of time before installing the disc on the shaft, put a washer on this address.
- On the sides of the disc, you can screw small corners, as it is also called, make 1-2 holes on the back sides. They will serve for refueling their fishing line.
- To fix the fishing line, of course, screw several self-tapping screws into the plywood.
This homemade mowing head is secured to the shaft with a nut. It is impossible to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To change the cord, you need to release the screws, stick in a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it down and again.
Also, the mowing attachment for fixing the fishing line on its surface, of course, is made of iron sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the following video.
How to remove and disassemble a coil
Before starting the cord replacement process, trimmer users need to remove and disassemble the reel. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! Before proceeding with any maintenance of the electrical unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers, 2 options for mounting the mowing head are most often used.
The thread does not hold
It happens that the thread unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head has weakened. The line is constantly extended and cut with a knife installed on the cover, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the line “climbed”, then you will need to replace the spring.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line is required for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be threaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, applying a little force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound onto the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn by turn, with maximum thread tension.
- After the laying of the cord is completed, you will first need to fix the short end of the line by inserting it into a groove of a suitable diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is longer, is fastened in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. To do this, alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
No cord feed, coil does not spin
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be as follows:
- the fishing line is incorrectly wound in the reel, due to which the latter does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the turns (the thread should be wound neatly, turn to turn, without distortions);
- too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the fishing line is not fed (it is recommended to always adjust the length of the cord before starting the unit, pulling it slightly);
- the line is stuck together (will be discussed later).
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flathead screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an “asterisk” bit.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
If the line breaks frequently, this may be due to the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then it breaks off the “antennae” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to purchase a quality one);
- the outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the line is erased on the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part is required).
How to change the line in the trimmer
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in service, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can cope with it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers. Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
On a reel with two antennae
In bobbins of this type, it is necessary to inspect the inner side of the coil and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
Important! If there is only one groove in the coil, then both antennae must be wound along a common groove, if two, then along separate tracks.
For winding, you need to take a piece of fishing line with a length of two to three meters. For spools with one groove, thread the line into the through hole, align the mustache, align and wind it around the spool in the opposite direction of its rotation during operation. If fixing grooves are provided, thread the ends of the cord through them, then pull them out into the outlet, then close the coil and put it back on.
For double-groove spools, the difference is that the string must be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the fold into the groove between the grooves, then wind each of the pieces of fishing line along its own path, fix the antennae and assemble the coil as well as a spool with one track.
The coil does not spin
The reasons the reel won’t spin are similar to the lack of line feed. This is improper or uneven winding of the string, its sticking, as well as short ends of the cord coming out of the holes.
What is needed to replace the cord
With regular use of the grass trimmer, the discs become dull, but they can be sharpened and continued to operate. The line in the reel tends to end, so it becomes necessary to refuel a new one, for which it is necessary to determine the type of head and prepare the cord of the required thickness and length.
So, the mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a bobbin with a fishing line is placed. Such a detail is present both on trimmers and on gasoline scythes of any brand, be it Bosch, Makita, Stihl or another brand. There are three types of heads depending on the method of threading and feeding the line.
- The principle of operation of the heads of the automatic group is that they independently feed the line when the mower reduces the engine speed. Such designs are convenient when working on large areas, but they have a drawback. high cord consumption.
- The heads of the semi-automatic group are easy to operate. automatic line feed is performed at maximum engine speed. To release the lanyard blockage, gently tap the tool on the ground and the unlocked thread is pulled out of the spool. Cutting to the required length is made with a knife attached to the protective cover.
- Trimmers with manual cord feed must first be turned off, then pull out the line yourself.
On a note! The most convenient and optimal for the price are semi-automatic reels with cord.
Reels for electric and gasoline braids can be with one or two line tendrils. The former are used for trimming low grass growth, the latter for mowing tall grass and small shrubs.
Breaking a string
Regular line breaks are caused by:
- the presence of solid objects in the mowed grass: branches, stones, etc., contact with which breaks the string;
- by mowing the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then the line breaks even faster;
- low-quality cord. it is necessary to replace it with a new reliable consumable;
- wear of the outlet holes in the mowing head, as a result of which the line breaks from friction against the sharp edges of the bushings. the part must be replaced with a new one.
Line winding algorithm
The order of winding the line depends on the type of reel. with one or two tendrils, as well as with automatic cord charging.
The string does not come out
In automatic and semi-automatic reels, the cord is fed without stopping the trimmer. If this does not happen, then:
- the line in the head is not wound correctly, so the reel does not spin;
- the winding of the fishing line is uneven, so the cord gets stuck between the turns and does not come out. so that this does not happen, the thread must be wound carefully, avoiding distortions, turn to turn;
- the ends of the cord coming out of the holes are very short, there is not enough centrifugal force to remove them, so the line is not fed. before turning on the trimmer, it is imperative to adjust the length of the thread and lengthen it slightly, if necessary;
- cord stuck.
The line is sticking
If the line sticks together during operation, the main reason is the installation of a low-quality cord. During operation, the coil heats up, and a poor-quality string melts and sticks together. The second reason is the collision of the cord with solid objects. At the same time, it is abruptly decelerated, the thread is pulled into the head and sticks.
Advice! To avoid problems, you can apply mineral oil to the surface of the line or, after winding around the head, spray it with silicone. A more competent solution would be to purchase a good quality head, which will allow you to forget about such problems.
So, replacing the line on the trimmer is not difficult if you know how to disassemble the reel and wind the cord. This process is similar for different brands of appliances. A detailed description can be found in the instruction manual of the instrument or watch the video.
Testimonial: Electric trimmer Stihl FSE41. Can a woman replace a man in the household? If necessary. Yes. Trimmer workshop.
Hello dear friends!
“Mow the scythe, while the dew: dew. Down, scythe. Home.” I know this saying since childhood, but now its essence has undergone changes. The fact is that with a trimmer company Stihl (Germany) should be mowed in dry weather, without dew.
Summer brings warmth, harvests and, if you have your own piece of land, then a lot of worries. One of them. lawn care. During the season I have to start mowing 5-6 times, depending on the weather conditions. The grass tends to grow faster than cucumbers and tomatoes))
And here is the “hero of the occasion”. subject of today’s topic:
My assistant helps me to remove excess grass near the beds, by the fence, around the trees, under the bushes.
Indeed, the trimmer is lightweight. just over two kilograms. Convenient handle at the top. And the location of the motor at the bottom of the device makes it possible, if necessary, to hold the trimmer with one hand, although not for long.
Here, in the upper part of the trimmer, inside the handle there is a special device for securing the electric cable, which prevents it from being pulled out of the socket. Very comfortably.
At the bottom of the tool there is an AutoCut mowing head with a spool that does all the work. The fishing line, tucked into the bobbin, with two ends rotates around the axis with great speed, bevelling everything that comes to its hand. The spacer (pictured on the right) prevents you from getting too close to the limits. trees, walls, asphalt edges.
I have been using this electric braid for three seasons. However, I didn’t have to fill the bobbin itself, I used the services of a neighbor. But recently I wanted more independence. I looked for information on the Internet, and. I almost managed to do it myself.
First, I cut the line, about five meters. I folded it in half, threaded each end into the holes in the holes, aligned the ends. Next, I wound each end in its own groove, in one direction. It is important to observe the winding direction here. It should be opposite to the movement of the coil during operation.
How to determine in which direction the device rotates during operation is difficult. We must try this and that. If the line is tucked in incorrectly, then it will unwind and, accordingly, will not mow.
Just like the spool in the photo above. I hold it in my left hand, and with my right I wind the line around me.
The remaining ends are fixed in special cuts on the bobbin, opposite to each other. (In the photo above, this is not observed, later I changed it).
I insert the bobbin inside the spool, after passing both ends of the line through the special holes. I press it all the way.
I put on the lid on top. Its protrusions easily fall into the desired holes.
By the way, to remove the bobbin, you need to press these protrusions in the holes, on both sides at the same time.
The line wears out during operation. To lengthen it, it is necessary (in operating mode) to lightly tap on a hard surface, for example, on asphalt. The line is automatically lengthened.
But soon it ends altogether. And you have to go for a new package. This is what I buy, branded, with a diameter of 1.6 mm:
And here is the finished work. Trimmer is indispensable in these places.
Although the “junior service personnel” also worked here:
That’s all the wisdom. Only at the beginning everything seems complicated. Producers write the truth, even a woman can.
Sincerely. Nina Nikiforovna Trofimova
PS. I process the beds with a Fokin flat cutter. Irreplaceable thing.