How to change the reel on a lawn mower
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is thanks to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. Threads of this type are often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core significantly exceeds the cost of other types.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
How to wind the line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and video
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Thickness selection
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable into the tool. the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
Mclane Reel Mower Drive Wheel Replacement
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length must be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And after several refueling operations, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the trimmer reel.
All About Replacing the Line on the Trimmer Head
How to change the line on a lawn mower: detailed instructions
In 1971, American entrepreneur George Bollas invented a lawn mower that used a line as a cutting knife. A lot of time has passed since then, the drive has become more powerful, a modern trimmer can easily damage the bark, so the idea itself has transformed into mowing grass around obstacles without damaging the mower cutter itself. For a neat cut around obstacles, a smaller line head can be used and can be easily changed from large areas to delicate mows. However, the cutting tool itself needs to be replaced periodically. We will tell you how to disassemble the head of a lawn mower (trimmer) and wind a new line.
Choosing a line for the trimmer head
There are many types of heads available to suit different types of line. The latter is also available in several diameters: from 1.0 mm to 3.2 mm. over, its cross-section is round (including with a special groove to reduce the noise level), square, twisted and in the shape of a star.
There are no clear preferences, this explains the wide variety of shapes and diameters on the market. The round shape is usually stronger, but has the worst cutting ability and also produces a characteristic sound when rotated. Therefore, sometimes an acoustic groove is made on it, however, the use of this fishing line makes sense only on battery trimmers, in cars with a gasoline engine and a network drive, the sound level of the drive itself practically drowns out the sound from the fishing line. The square has a good cutting ability, and despite the fact that such a line is less strong than a round line, on average it is consumed less. Square fishing line quite easily cuts off the growth of the same willow up to 1 cm in diameter. The star has the maximum number of cutting edges, mows the best and is consumed the fastest.
The next nuance when choosing is rigidity. The fact is that during the production of nylon, a modifier (often maleic anhydride) is added to it, which improves its strength and prevents tearing. However, modifiers are not the cheapest component, they are trying to save on it. Therefore, a seemingly good line that remained for the winter unexpectedly behaves in a completely different way in the spring. it breaks, stops coming out of the reel normally. There is a recommendation to soak the fishing line in water before work, but I do not see much point in this, maleic anhydride interacts with water, but if it is not enough in nylon, then there will be nothing to interact with. Therefore, it makes no sense to stock up on fishing line for a long period of time, breaking or constantly breaking fishing line, which, moreover, does not want to leave the reel itself, can significantly complicate the work.
Lawnmower fishing line: how to choose and wind?
- How to choose the right line?
- Device in the mower
- How to reel?
- Safety engineering
With the arrival of spring, summer cottages are becoming the main residence of many of our compatriots. However, with the arrival of warm days, there is such a problem as fast-growing grass. It is inconvenient to constantly mow it with a hand scythe, and not all types of grass lend themselves to this old working tool. It is much more convenient to use modern lawn mowers for these purposes. Particularly popular among them are devices with a fishing line, which is easy to change if necessary.
How to reel?
Knowing how the reel is disassembled can speed up the line change process. It all depends on what design the coil has and how many antennae. Threading a spool that has only one working mustache is quite easy, especially if you stick to a consistent plan.
Depending on the parameters of the reel and the length of the line set initially, it is recommended to choose a string from 2 to 5 meters.
First you need to remove the bobbin from the tool, and then open it.
One of the ends of the line must be installed in the hole inside the bobbin.
Next, the string should be wound onto the drum. over, this is done in the opposite direction from the normal rotation of the spool. Usually on the trimmers on the inside of the bobbin there is an arrow that shows in which direction to wind.
Part of the fishing line must be pulled out and secured in a special groove located on the inside of the reel. Its purpose is to hold the winding while bringing the bobbin into working condition.
The end of the string must be passed through the hole located on the outer part of the bobbin.
At the last stage, you need to collect the parts of the bobbin and put it on the mower bar.
The installation of the line on a reel with two mustaches occurs in a slightly different way. First, you need to determine how many grooves go along the inside of the reel on which the line is put on. There are options with one groove, and then both mustaches must be wound together. There are also models with two grooves, when each of the mustache goes separately.
For all double-whisker reels, a 2 to 3 meter string is recommended.
How to choose the right line?
Nylon lines are suitable for both electric and gas powered trimmers. This consumable can be used for both hand tools and a wheeled lawnmower. It is important to choose the right line, as this directly affects both the result of the work and the service life of the unit. Of course, it is very easy to get confused in the offered assortment of lines, especially for beginners. However, there is a lot of advice from experts and those who have already tried various options.
Reel Mower Basics
For an electric trimmer less than 500 W, a thin line with a diameter of 1 to 1.6 mm is suitable. She will perfectly mow lawns with low grass. If the power of the tool is in the range from 0.5 to 1 kW, then it is better to give preference to a line with a diameter of 2 mm or slightly more.
This will be enough to cut thin grass or overgrown weeds, but not too thick.
For petrol trimmers and lawn mowers, line less than 3 mm must not be taken. This thickness will allow you to easily cope with any weeds, dry stems, dense grass. Diameter over 4 mm is only suitable for high power lawn mowers. It turns out that thick line is necessary for powerful technique. It is not recommended for use with low power trimmers, otherwise it will work poorly, constantly winding around the reel and creating additional load on the engine.
Typically, a standard package contains up to 15 meters of line. However, to replace the string on a reel, a length of about 7 meters is sufficient. It also happens that the line is produced in bays of 250-500 meters. When choosing a string, it is imperative to specify the date when it was produced. Nylon that is too old can dry out and become too brittle. If this happens, then you can soak the fishing line for a couple of hours in water, but it will not be completely the same.
When choosing, an important parameter is the section of the string, which can be of several types.
The round section is versatile. It is used for mowing grass of medium thickness and density. May make excessive noise during operation, but not used too quickly.
A square or polygonal section is more efficient than a round one. Sharp corners cut plant stems faster and with better quality.
Ribbed, twisted and star-shaped sections are the most effective. Such a fishing line manages to mow the grass very quickly. And its main disadvantage is its rapid wear.
The trimmer line is made of nylon, which is durable, lightweight, low cost and durable. To make the cost of the material even cheaper, polyethylene is added to it, but then the line overheats faster. Thick strings have a graphite or steel rod. Sometimes they are reinforced, which increases strength and service life.
It is worth noting that for two-piece strings are higher than for standard nylon strings.
In single flute model
The line must be pulled into the hole, and its mustache must be folded together and aligned.
Then winding is performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the mower. Often there is an arrow inside the spool indicating how to put the line on correctly.
The ends of the string are fixed in special grooves or simply temporarily held by hands and pulled into the hole located on the outside of the bobbin.
After that, the spool is closed and attached to the rod, after which the mower is ready to work.
Device in the mower
In the trimmer, the element on which the string is pulled is very simple. It is called the “coil”. Usually it consists of an upper and a lower part (grooves), between which there is a partition with a recess. It is on these grooves that the fishing line should be wound. However, first it is pulled through the recess.
Before removing the coil, unscrew the special button located directly on the mower body. Remove the reel from the mower before changing the line.
It is not difficult to do this, but there are some peculiarities depending on the trimmer configuration and the coil itself.
In small electronic mowers, the motor and reel are at the bottom, and buttons are located on the sides of the reel. If you press them, you get the upper groove of the reel and the part where you need to wind the fishing line.
In bent-arm mowers that do not have a knife, the reels have special two-horned nuts. In such tools, you must hold the bobbin so that it does not move, and at the same time turn the nut clockwise. It is she who holds the entire reel, which is then easy to remove.
Straight arm mowers that can be fitted with a blade have a hole just below the reel. To remove the coil, a screwdriver is inserted into this hole, while the bobbin is fixed. After that, you need to turn the coil clockwise and remove it from the unit.
Sometimes there may be latches on the coil in the form of latches. They must be pressed to separate the parts of the coil. It is also possible that the top and bottom of the bobbin are connected by a thread. In this case, it is enough to grasp the top and bottom with your hands, and then twist in different directions until they unscrew.
In the version with two grooves
The line is first folded in half to determine where the middle of the fold is.
Further, the loop formed at the bend is threaded into the groove, which is formed between the two grooves.
After that, you can wind both bars of the fishing line in a separate groove.
You can fix the mustache and assemble the coil completely in the same way as described above.
Opening a reel for the first time and winding a new line is not always easy. Over time, this procedure becomes almost automatic and will not take much time. Some reels have an automatic system that spins the line by itself. As a result, it remains only to correctly set the end of the line, and you’re done. In such models, the string must be put into the hole that is on the outside of the body. Next, the bobbin is assembled, and when the winding rotates, the fishing line is put on it.
The convenience of such reels is that it is impossible to wind up incorrectly, since the line will always turn only in the right direction.
Following safety precautions will allow you to quickly and safely insert new line into the spool on the mower. It is imperative that before the replacement begins and the coil is removed, the device must be turned off, especially for electric lawn mowers. It is important to constantly remind yourself to press the special lock button. On each mower, it can be located in different places, but this must be indicated in the instruction manual.
Remember to adjust the cutting element. Otherwise, the work will be unstable and of poor quality. Most often, there is a button on the unit itself that allows you to configure this. If nothing happens when you press it, or the string has loosened its tension, then you need to hold down the button and forcefully pull the line out of the reel.
Winding the line is a very demanding process. It is important to follow all the steps correctly in order to tighten the line well. Materials other than special nylon strings should not be used. It is worth remembering that you cannot put a metal wire, a rod or an iron cable instead of a fishing line. This is dangerous, as the rig can very easily cut through the shoes even of coarse material and injure the wearer. Before putting on a new line, it is important to carefully read the operating instructions for the device, since some models of lawn mowers may have their own structural features, which are important to take into account when replacing.
You can find out how to replace the line on the trimmer from the video below.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) lawn mower.
This type of head is present on most lawn mowers and trimmers such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- eyes. through them the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
The cord lengthens spontaneously
Also, the line can be lengthened without using a button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring has confirmed this fact, then several washers must be placed under it in order to enhance its clamping properties.
Line does not lengthen automatically
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the trimmer button on the ground, then the reasons for this may be the following.
Option 1. a bite has occurred, i.e. clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with intersecting turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the line manually, after pressing the button.
Option 3. the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, hitting the line against hard objects.
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that cannot withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, you should give preference to “branded” lines.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering the turns of the fishing line together.
- Also, the line can be soldered if it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer spool and rewind the line.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when they need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Stop the mowers engine or power off the trimmer before placing the line into the spool to avoid injury from accidental starting rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attachment attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should be aware that the thread on the shaft is left-handed. Therefore, turn the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached to the clips. To remove it, you will need to sink these latches into the case, squeezing the edges of the cover. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the attachment should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the midpoint of the line by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- Special grooves are cut inside the coil (there may be holes). Insert a loop of line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to fill in the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlap and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave free ends of the line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Be sure to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or lugs.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the trimmer coil to the left (counter-clockwise).
DIY trimmer coil repair
The trimmer, whether petrol or electric, is the only solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be eliminated by hand, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Major coil malfunctions
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often face a problem with the semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the line does not lengthen automatically;
- the cord spontaneously comes out of the reel.
Is it possible to make a coil for a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or PCB and draw a circle about 14 cm in diameter on it.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or metal hacksaw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disc on the shaft.
- Small corners can be screwed on the edges of the disc or 1-2 holes can be made on opposite sides. They will serve for refueling the fishing line in them.
- Several screws can be screwed into the plywood to secure the line.
This homemade mowing head is secured to the shaft with a nut. It will not work to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to loosen the screws, insert a piece of line of the required length and press it again.
Also, the mowing attachment for attaching the fishing line to it can be made of metal sheet. How to do this can be understood from the following video.