How to change the spool to disk on a trimmer
Grass trimmer coil repair with his own hands
In this article we will describe in detail the procedure of how to remove the grass trimmer spool. Step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help a beginner and an experienced user to remove the element of the system and clean it or replace it with a new one on their own. Before you remove the grass trimmer reel, it is imperative to muffle it. for gasoline samples or turn off the power. for electric trimmers. We will demonstrate one traditional dismantling scheme, but in different models of trimmers the way of fastening the coil to the tool may differ. With your own hands you can not only remove the old coil sample, but also replace it with a new one, if necessary. So, here is the step by step scenario:
- Disconnect the tool from the mains or turn off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove the spool cap that holds the coil spring in place.
- Press the latches symmetrically located on both sides with one hand and carefully remove the cover with the other.
- Look for a hole in the reducer cup, located on the side or top, and align it with the same hole in the hub of the shaft.
- Using a hexagonal key or a metal rod. put it through the hole in the gearbox, avoiding possible rotation of the shaft.
- Remove the mowing bobbin, on which the line for the trimmer is wound.
- At the bottom you will see a slightly sunk screw. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips-head or slotted screwdriver.
- With one hand we hold the head body, and with the other, counterclockwise, we unscrew the screw.
- Shaking it gently. remove the mowing head. Even if it is a little stuck, apply more force delicately and with the same wiggling. remove it. Often the movement is made in the clockwise direction, but there are coils that unscrew in the other direction.
- Assembly is done in the opposite order.
It is necessary to remove the bobbin when it is damaged, when the line is wound (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate choice of tackle), as well as when it is necessary to wind a new cord on a new spool or to replace the cutting tackle. The store “KosiKosa” always offers you an inexpensive spool for a grass trimmer.
How to remove the grass trimmer head: basic rules
To remove the trimmer head you need to adhere to the elementary rules in working with brushcutter and electric counterpart, and the main ones we will name:
- To unscrew the reducer, you need a special hexagon, or carefully with a screwdriver, dipping it into a special hole. The latter can be heavily clogged with grass and blend in with the overall color, so. delicately clean and find it;
- It’s imperative to jam it so the shaft doesn’t turn;
- Be especially careful when dismantling a broken or cracked reel. its elements can be all over the place;
- Many users of gasoline mower today are looking for “grass trimmer remove the head” on the network, and we in instructive articles and videos also do Accent on different types of threads. take into account the nuances of your tool;
- For ease of operation, it is practiced to turn the tool upside down with the motor, laying it on a horizontal surface;
- Shock and abrupt efforts when removing the mowing head are inappropriate because the delicate plastic body can be damaged;
- A new mowing head or an old reel should be installed on a cleaned tool if it is still usable.
- The new tackle must meet the parameters of the old one. Installation of another component whose characteristics do not match the capacity of the grasshopper may negatively affect its elements and the operation of the mechanism as a whole;
- We recommend working with a cleaned tool to prevent debris and small grass particles from entering the holes;
- Locking the reducer by sliding a screwdriver into the slot is a must when installing a new reel or removing an old one;
- Be aware of the prevalence of left-hand threads on the gearbox of most trimmers;
- Remember to remove the screwdriver from the gear slot when you have finished installing the spool in place;
- All fixing and removing should be done delicately, remembering that the spool is made of thin plastic;
- It is not necessary to screw the new spool (or the old one in its place) strongly, because after working hours it will be impossible to remove it the next time it is removed. You also do not need to fix too easily. weigh the load placed on this unit during operation and the resistance of the cutting material;
- If you need instead of a spool on the grass trimmer to determine the knife or bobbin. analog cutting tackle, then the gear unit is carried out as well, screwing is carried out according to the same scheme, but the installation itself is slightly different due to the specifics of each individual tackle. Mount the knives on the grass trimmer with reel if the tool is functionally working with different types of tackle.
If you need to buy a fishing line for a grass trimmer, you can do it on the expanses of our website, and how to properly mount and replace it. we will gladly tell you in our articles.
What to consider when choosing a fishing line
Before inserting and securing the trimmer line into the grass trimmer’s detachable reel, it is important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmers for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as helpful tips from experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put the grass trimmer fishing line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross-section of the cord:
- The thread with a circular cross-section is the most common option. They perfectly mow the grass, even in difficult areas;
- Line for trimmer with a spiral section is suitable for thin grass. It is not very strong and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- Cord with jagged and sharp edges are chosen for mowing weeds;
- trimmer line with a variety of geometric sections will help to mow the lawn more evenly, but the durability of the consumable material is low.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material is a two-component line for trimmer with a circular section, reinforced on the inside.
The owner of a brushcutter should know that it is categorically impossible to use a wire made of metal, fishing line and a variety of strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before you wind the thread on the grass trimmer bobbin, you should pay attention to its size. The most common trimmer line used is 2 mm.
You can find the right diameter in the following ways:
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for your trimmer.
- Often manufacturers place cross-sectional information on the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord should match the diameter of the hole of the spool.
Important! The thicker the thread is tucked in, the tougher grass it will be able to cut.
How to remove the spool with your own hands quickly and easily
Before you replace the old trimmer fishing line with a new one in the grass trimmer’s removable spool, you must remove the head.
The process is quite simple, the work can be done even by beginners:
- Remove the upper fixing cover.
- Remove detachable spool.
- Take out the spring, if any.
- Use a screwdriver to unscrew the bolt.
- Remove the body from the shaft.
What kind of lines are available?
A common type of fishing line that fits virtually all types of spools is the round section cord. video : how to disassemble the grass trimmer reel. Change a line on a trimmer. Video on how to disassemble the reel and change the line on the trimmer. Download more similar videos. This is a common trimmer line, suitable for mowing lush grass, but it will be much harder to mow dead grass with it, and it certainly will not cope with shrubs.
As a rule, the diameter with which you can mow young grass does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the rougher the grass it can overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharp edges in the form of a star or a square, this option is more adapted to mowing dry grass just at the expense of having sharp edges, but the disadvantage is more wear and tear, and on the strength it is inferior to the round cord.
There are lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic indentations, scales and notches, such a product makes less noise, but it is used only on petrol-powered mowers, since the output of such a thread from the spool is difficult, it is used most often with discs, in which are inserted segments. The disadvantage of this product is its fragility.
Most often in gasoline trimmers with an engine more than 1.5 liters of power.с. use cord with a metal cord inside. This video shows how to disassemble the coil in a gasoline trimmer for grass, as well as how to properly wind. How to remove the spool to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the disk on the shaft. Such a thread is ideal for mowing dry grass and small bushes. How to disassemble the grass trimmer spool. How to change a line on a trimmer. The presence of the core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
How to tuck the line for trimmer into the grass trimmer reel
It takes about 10-15 minutes to wind up a line for a trimmer. What is a grass trimmer reel? A plastic body with a cassette inside, which has a special hook for easy winding of fishing line. How to change the cord on how to disassemble the spool at the gasoline prinis znayomii brushcutter. Almost all trimmer reels have a similar principle of attachment, this is the central screw-button, when you press it, there is an opportunity to pull the line for the trimmer of the required length. How to remove the spool from the trimmer for grass Huter grass trimmer video how to wind the line on the trimmer. How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer, disassemble the spool on the trimmer. The photo below shows several examples of different spools for trimmers.
Reels of trimmers, the motor of which is at the very ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides, which must be pressed, otherwise, the replacement of the thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of the correct winding of the line is similar in all of the above cases, so for example let’s consider the standard version with two tendrils.
To remove the spool of fishing line is necessary to unscrew the screw, located in the center, but note the thread is left, so you have to turn it clockwise, it is done on purpose, so that during the work it is not opened under the influence of centrifugal force.
Then, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and take out the spool, on which the line for the trimmer is wound directly. Measuring the required length and folded in half, you need to tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool, bringing, as a result, its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After that, you need to assemble the head in reverse order, passing the ends of the cord through the two corresponding holes.
If there are doubts or it is not quite clear how to charge the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer we recommend to see how to correctly wind the line for the trimmer in the lawnmower. In this video clip in detail on the steps the instructor will open the trimmer head, measure the necessary amount of fishing line, as a rule, it is from two to four meters, and will demonstrate the assembly and installation on the trimmer for grass.
the grass trimmer, be it gasoline or electric, is the only true solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot cope with. As a cutting tool in trimmers used metal knives or a special line for trimmer, which is tucked into the spool trimmer for grass. But, unfortunately, trimmer heads become useless over time. Some malfunctions can be repaired with your own hands, while some require complete replacement of the mowing head.
Strand change on a trimmer
If the grass trimmer spool button lightly strikes the ground, the trimmer line does not lengthen, then the preconditions for this happen the following.
Variant 1. jamming has occurred, t.е. Cord is jammed between coils. This discrepancy usually occurs if the user has wound the line for the trimmer on the spool unevenly, with crossed turns, or has wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when rotating the mowing head at high revolutions, the cord begins to tighten under the influence of centrifugal force, under the influence of which you inter-scroll clamping line. To solve the problem will have to dismantle the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, even turns with a good tension.
Variant 2.7. very short ends protrude from the head. the line for the trimmer may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (not long enough). Here the centrifugal force is not long enough for the trimmer line to stretch. Therefore, you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine as it is also called disconnect grass trimmer elektricheskogo from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, before pressing the button.
Variant 3. trimmer line is soldered inside the mowing head. This leads to the fact that the coil is frozen and does not even spin when you press the button. There are several reasons for this: the filament is not of good quality, the filament gets too hot when the machine is running for a long time, the line hits hard objects.
- At the beginning of the cord from other manufacturers you will like is made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not hold the mechanical and thermal load. Therefore, you should give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you still caught the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in his time of work, it is possible to follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil lubricate it or silicone grease (from a canister), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering of the line coils to each other.
- filament for trimmer may also melt if, while mowing, it hits a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.) and forces the line to bind.д.). Upon completion, it stretches a little and retracts at high speed back into the head. The friction causes the filament to warm and stick together. The only thing to do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
Mowing string head. this is a type of the executive mechanism of the garden trimmer for grass. It is intended for mowing grass and represents by design a special reel (spool) of which the cutting cord (string, line for trimmer) stick out in different directions. The string is a consumable item that has to be replaced during use. Based on the design and operational features of the grass trimmer, manufacturers equip their products with the most diverse types of heads. from simple hand reels to complex automatic reels. The more complex the construction of this mechanism, the more likely it is to break. What to do if the spool does not spin, the string does not feed or breaks, as well as other malfunctions. in the material further.
How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool
It takes about 10-15 minutes to wind the mowing line. What is a grass trimmer reel? A plastic body with a cassette inside, which has a special hook for easy winding of the line. Almost all trimmer reels have a similar attachment principle, it is the central screw button, when pressed it becomes possible to extract the line for the trimmer of the desired length. The photo below shows several examples of different trimmer bobbins.
The pins of trimmers, whose motor is located on the ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool, located on the sides, which must be unscrewed, otherwise the change of thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of the correct winding of the mowing line is similar in all of the above
cases, so, for example, consider the standard version with two antennas.
To remove the spool with the line, you need to unscrew the screw located in the center, but notice that the thread remains there, so you have to return it clockwise, this was done on purpose so that during operation it will not open under the action of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, take out the head and remove the spool, which is directly wound string
Measuring the required length and folded in half, you need to insert the line for the trimmer into the spool, finally bringing its end opposite each other (for this purpose there are special slots for mounting).
After that, you should assemble the head in reverse order, breaking the end of the cord into two appropriate holes.
If you have doubts or are not quite clear how to load the line for the trimmer for grass trimmer, we advise to take a look: how to properly wind the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass. In this detailed, step-by-step guide, the instructor will reveal grass trimmer head
, Measure the required amount of line, usually two to four meters, and demonstrate the collection and installation on the grass trimmer.
How to remove the head on the BlackDecker GL716 trimmer.
grass trimmer has an overhead motor and a curved boom. For convenience, turn it upside down with the motor or lay it horizontally. Disassembling the mower head. To do this, press the side latches and remove the top cover at the same time. Disconnecting the spool of the mowing line
READ How to Repair the Starter on a Brait Trimmer
Slightly recessed dark screw visible in the middle of the head body. We fix the head housing with one hand and use the star nozzle to unscrew the screw counterclockwise. If you don’t have a sprocket handy, you can do this with a wide flathead screwdriver.
Now, to remove the grass trimmer head, simply pull it toward you. If it is sour and stands firmly in place, then apply effort with light jiggling motions, periodically changing locations. Do not use force or impact. The body is plastic, and it’s fairly easy to damage.
Types of semi-automatic heads
Semi-automatic mowing head. generally consists of a housing with several springs and a bobbin inside. Bobbins, by design, are divided into:
Many household trimmer owners convert single-section spools to two-section spools. To do this, you will need to find a solid metal plate, and put on it the contour with the diameter of the bobbin. After that, the plate is cut along the contour so that the thickness is near the place where the cord is wound. As a result, the resulting circle should move freely around its axis. Next, a cut must be made in the resulting ring and the bobbin slipped inside the ring. The two parts need to be connected together with tape or quick-drying glue. As a result, the manufacturer will have a bobbin, the line for the trimmer in which you can reel in two sections.
Classification by the method of filament charging
Another important factor is the principle of charging the line into the mowing head. According to this factor, there are the following types of reels on the market:
- fast. to charge this type of attachment the operator does not need to remove the headset from its base. It is sufficient to slip the cord gently to the center of the spool and wrap it several times around the base. This is convenient and, in addition, saves a lot of time;
- collapsible. in order to replace the cord of this type of reel you will need to disassemble. Beginner gardeners may have problems with this procedure, but after gaining the necessary experience, in the future charging the head will be much faster.
As practice shows, for the novice gardener, the fast reel on the grass trimmer is best suited. It stands out for its durability and can be actively used in areas with lots of hard obstacles.
When the use of knives is relevant
When using a brushcutter on dacha plots, the most popular attachment is a line for the trimmer. It has a low price, it is suitable for different trimmer heads, it is safe when working. The disadvantage of using a fishing line is that it is only good for cutting short brushwood. In other situations, the string is clogged immediately, regardless of whether a gasoline or electric grass trimmer model is used. In addition, vegetation is wrapped around the spindle, which creates significant resistance on the shaft and leads to its breakage. It can also cause the piston system in a gasoline mower to fail or the motor in an electric trimmer to burn out.
Therefore, to mow high or tough vegetation, different attachments are used. So, for cleaning tall and rough grass, thin shoots of trees and bushes it is better to install and use a disc. This nozzle gets clogged much less often, making it more resistant to wear and tear.
Special note! Due to the fact that the engine of electric trimmers and cordless models is less powerful than on petrol mowers, so the use of discs is more relevant for petrol mowers.
Special features of discs for brushcutters
Blade discs are available in plastic and metal, as well as in different shapes to perform a variety of tasks.
- Two, three and four-blade blades with pronounced blades are used for mowing grass and brushwood. However, they are not suitable for making hay, since they shred the shoots by cutting them several times.
- Massive four-blade blades are not only for clearing grass from the ground but also for cutting hay. They avoid repeatedly cutting the shoots, making them better suited to storing for the winter.
- Discs with cutting edges on the perimeter are useful for cutting reeds and rushes. These blades are very heavy. a necessary quality for cutting thick stems.
- Professional sawtooth blades for brushcutters and brushcutters make it possible to cut down small trees and bushes.
Plastic blades are used as an alternative to metal blades. They do not need to be fixed firmly in the head, but are spun by centrifugal force. The strength of plastic blades is high, so the service life is long enough.
Side note! The advantage of plastic blades is that once they hit an insurmountable obstacle, they bounce off and there is no renewed contact.
Features of brushcutter blades
Blade blades are available in plastic and metal, and in a variety of shapes to suit a variety of applications.
- Two, three and four-blade blades with distinctive blades are used for cutting grass and brushwood. However, they are not suitable for making hay, as they shred the shoots, cutting them several times.
- Massive four-bladed discs are not only for clearing the ground from the grass, but also for mowing hay. They prevent the shoots from being cut too many times, making them suitable for harvesting in the winter.
- Discs with cutting edges on the perimeter are suitable for mowing reeds and rushes. These blades are very heavy. a necessary quality for cutting thick stems.
- Professional sawtooth blades for brushcutters and brushcutters are good for cutting down small trees and bushes.
Plastic blades are used as an alternative to metal discs. The blades are not held tightly in the head and rotate due to the centrifugal force. The plastic blades are highly resistant and therefore have a long service life.
For your information! The advantage of plastic discs is that, having hit an insurmountable obstacle, they bounce, and re-contact does not occur.
How to install the blade on the grass trimmer
Installing the blade on the grass trimmer is very simple. Use the complete wrench that disconnects the cutting head and the pin that locks the reducer. The procedure is as follows.
- First of all, you should disconnect the electric grass trimmer from the network, gasoline. simply shut off. Detach and set aside the blade guard.
- Next, the holes on the gearbox and the shaft must be aligned in order to insert the pin and lock the drive.
- If a bobbin with fishing line was used, it must be unscrewed clockwise.
- Then you need to find a nut to screw the blade.
- Next step is to install the blades. Owners of trimmers often wonder which side to put the disk. This should be done so that the marking with numbers and letters was on top.
- Then you need to put the duster on top and above it the fixing nut, which must be tightened firmly with a wrench.
- The final step is to install the blade guard.
As you can see the procedure is very simple and the same for many brands, whether you run STIHL or Husqvarna.
Just a side note! If the owner of the device wishes to replace the disk back to the line for the trimmer, you can install the spool with it in a similar way.
Coiling up the line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. the winding of the line in the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of actions.
Reel with one operating clamp
The simplest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Size of the bobbin and length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- Small piece of line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin to working condition.
- The leftover end of the line is pushed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and attached to the trimmer bar.
Reel with two working tendrils
In this type of bobbins should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases a 2-3 m trimmer line is used. In single spools, the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then winded in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the rod. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the line are slipped into them or held by the fingers of your free hand, threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference in winding the line in double reels is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both tendrils of the fishing line are wound each on its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the variant with one groove discussed above.
Doing this for the first time may seem time consuming and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will become faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Once the cutting filament has worn out as a result of operation, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the kerf by pulling it to the desired length, and insert it back into the kerf. The amount of material wound on the reel is sufficient for 5-10 cycles of operation, depending on the model of the device. When you install the cover in place, look carefully to see if the grooves where the catches are inserted are clogged, if they are clogged, then carefully clean them.
When the line for the trimmer wears out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working line for the trimmer.
The grass trimmer is the most common machine used to cut grass and cut small bushes. This device is characterized by its simplicity in service, uncomplicated operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women cope with it. It is no secret that for the quality performance of works on grass mowing, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer are an expendable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it is necessary to replace it. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the line for the trimmer.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for the trimmer
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change the cutting attachment or line for trimmer in the reel. It is very common that when trying to unscrew the mowing head users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if a tool needs to be replaced, we recommend that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before inserting the trimmer line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if the cutting attachment accidentally starts rotating.
- Unscrew the brush head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the shaft, and inserting a metal bar or screwdriver into them.