How to change the trimmer line in an electric trimmer
How to wind a line on a grass trimmer
To wind up a line for a trimmer on a gasoline or electric trimmer for grass, you do not need to have any special skills. First, it is important to decide on the right consumable, and then choose the best method. You can tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool of the device in two different ways.
The main element of the trimmer is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the line for the trimmer (filament) is threaded. The heads differ from each other in the way they feed and thread the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed afterwards, as the user reduces the engine speed. The automatic cord feed is very convenient when a large amount of work needs to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. Using this head does not require the user to do anything complicated. Its operating principle is designed so that the line for the trimmer starts to automatically extend at a time when the trimmer for grass works at full speed. You just have to bang the head of the machine lightly on the ground (this removes the blockage of the line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will move out of the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. The trimmer line will then need to be pulled out manually.
Choosing a fishing line
To thread a line into the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher grass it can cut. A universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Look at the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try and insert the cord into the outlet. If it passes through it without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of fishing line is suitable for use.
You can choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. in this case, the engine will overheat greatly and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm cord will do. If you can’t find one, you can use a 1.6-mm line for your trimmer. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. A 2 mm cord is often used for the bent version. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord as well. Some popular options:
- The most common cords are those with a round core. They mow fresh grass well, but do less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral-shaped) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, star or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest. two-piece cord with inner core and round section.
Please note that wire, metal cords and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line cannot be used instead of fishing line. The device is risky for the user and others. So the cord or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly with great speed.
Changing the line on your trimmer or brushcutter
To replace the line on the trimmer or brushcutter (cord, string), first of all you need to know its thickness. If there are no remnants of the cord, then study the datasheet of our gardening equipment. Sometimes the necessary information can be found by carefully inspecting the mowing reel, the range of diameters can be plotted on its surface. If our search is unsuccessful, simply estimate the diameter of the exit hole on the spool. The line for the trimmer should run smoothly in the trimmer. I do not recommend widening the holes to use a thicker string to increase the performance and capability of the garden equipment. The thickness of line is calculated by the manufacturer on the basis of engine power.
To change the cord on most models you need to disassemble the mowing reel by pressing on the latches. Sometimes it is necessary to twist the top part of the spool at the same time as pressing the catches.
Standard spool can be fitted with 5 to 6 m of thin cutting line or up to 3 m of thick line. Figures are approximate, depending on the size of your mowing head. If it overheats while mowing, it is better to wind up less mowing line. there is a chance that it will sinter and you just throw it away.
The simplest trimmers and brushcutters have a non-automatic spool with a single bar. It’s easy, one end of the line is inserted in the slit inside the bobbin. Then wind as much cords as will fit under the guard, following the arrow. 10 cm of string through the holes in the protective cover and spool and reassemble it.
Non-automatic spool with one tendril
Semi-automatic single spool with 2 tendrils
Semi-automatic two-section spool with 2 tendrils
If the line for the trimmer on the trimmer has 2 tendrils, then before winding the string is folded in half, shifting the edges by 5-10 centimeters. Bobbins come in different designs, but each has some kind of catch to fix the middle cord. If the spool is one-sectional, then there is a hole where you have to pass one end of the line and center it again. If it is a two-section bobbin, there is a cutout in the baffle.
Wind-cord and winding direction arrow
The inscription “Wind kord” and an arrow show us the winding direction. If there is no arrow, we wind it in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation. One hand holds the edges of the cord, and the other turns the bobbin, winding the line for the trimmer, each side on its track. The winding is tight enough, it is not necessary to be perfectly straight, the main thing is to avoid crossing each other. It will take care of itself as it works. When about 10 centimeters remain, fix the edges in the slots. Threading the string through the holes on the reel body. Alternately jerk the line for the trimmer lightly, so that no loops are formed inside, and insert the bobbin into the bobbin. Then reassemble the mowing reel. Sometimes there is such a design of the spool that when assembling it, the edges of the string must be released from the slots of the bobbin. Check the correctness of the semi-automatic head assembly of our garden equipment can be simulated by tapping the grass trimmer on the ground. You press the button in the middle and pull the outer edges of the line at the same time. If everything is OK, the tendrils are pulled out slightly.
On Oleo-Mac brushcutters, it’s not even necessary to disassemble the spool of line. Simply push a piece of string through the holes. Center it, and wind up the cord by turning it by the “wing nut” in the direction of the arrow. Changing the line on your trimmer is really quick, and this design is becoming more common.
I hope you will find the article on the correct choice of fishing line for your gardening equipment “line for grass trimmer, string, cord for electro- and brushcutter” useful.
Fabrication of the tether cord holder
On the outer formative of the cup-shaped sleeve on the back side, using a ruler and marker, we mark two marks on the perpendicular to each other diameters.
Then, referring to the first four marks, transfer them to the center of the side surface of the cup sleeve vertically. Clamp the cup-shaped sleeve in a bench vice and mark the points of drilling in the marked places with a core and hammer, which we do with a drill. There are two opposing holes each at perpendicular diameters.
Deburr the metal around all four holes, working them in turn with a hand file. Above each of the four holes on the outside, place and weld a nut with a rounded top.
We clamp two bolts in a vice and drill through holes with a diameter of a little more than two millimeters directly under the heads.
Wrap the nuts around them and put the two bolts with the tightened nuts in the annular recess of the cup sleeve with their heads inward symmetrically between the two holes facing each other.
The position of the bolts should be such that the nuts on them can be freely tightened and unscrewed from the head to the top of the holes drilled in them. After checking once again that the bolts are positioned correctly, weld them to the sleeve on both sides.
Unwind the two-millimeter rope and pass one end of it through any of the side holes in the cup-shaped sleeve toward the bolt. Pass the rope through the hole in it and pull the end of the rope out through the hole in the sleeve on the other side of the bolt, helping yourself with the wire cutters.
Set the necessary length of the stretched cord and, having measured the same size from the other side, bite the rope in the intended location with the wire cutters. Proceed in the same way with the second “tendril” and tighten the nuts on the bolts with a spanner wrench with enough force to reliably fix the “tendrils” in the given position.
It is normal at high forward speeds that tendrils quickly become frayed, lose their strength and break under the tremendous centrifugal force. This impairs the operation of the grass trimmer, but more dangerously, it can injure the feet of the operator or people nearby. It is therefore necessary to solder the entire length of the rope “tendrils” with a soldering iron. Soft solder is very flexible and when in contact with grass stems and small bushes it absorbs most of the impact force and thus protects the cable from breakage. So, the home-made working organ of the grass trimmer is ready.
Installing a sleeve with tendrils on the grass trimmer
We remove the plastic spool with a fishing line from the brushcutter and install instead the working device of the grass trimmer assembled by our hands on the basis of a two-millimeter steel rope. Tighten it securely with a left-hand thread nut using a socket wrench with a side handle, locking the drive from the back with a screwdriver through the special hole.
Make sure that none of the ends of the ropes touch the safety guard, which is one of the conditions of safe work with this tool. To do this, pull each arm against the bobbin case one by one with your hand and check if there is a sufficient gap between the arms and the bobbin case.
Getting ready. removing and stripping the bobbin
Most models of electric and gasoline-powered trimmers require that you remove the spool to change the line. With FUBAG tool you can skip this step. To make the instructions universal, we’ll still go over it in detail:1.
Fix the shaft. Insert the locking element into the appropriate hole. This can be a thin screwdriver or a metal bar.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction indicated on the housing.
The preparatory step is passed. You may proceed to winding the fishing line.
How to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer reel
First determine the length of fishing line for your spool. Screw the trimmer line onto the bobbin until it protrudes over the sides. We have 4 metres. How much fishing line you get depends on the diameter of your line for the bobbin and the construction.
Fold the trimmer line in half. Leave one end 10 to 15 cm longer than the other.
Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
Lay the line for the trimmer according to the direction shown on the element body.
Insert the short end into the groove on the side of the spool.
Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool with the wound line in the bobbin case.
Pull the trimmer line out of the fixing grooves.
Put on the cover and lock.
Cut the line ends leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The filament change is complete, now you just screw the bobbin onto the grass trimmer and you are ready to go.
How to properly lay the thread on the grass trimmer bobbin?
This process causes difficulties only in the first days of trimmer work. Having mastered a certain algorithm of actions, later threading will be much easier and faster. The first thing to do is to do the following:
- Determine how much to cut. The coil must not extend beyond the diameter of the bobbin. The size of a single piece can be 1-4 meters. The length depends on the cross section of the line and the head model.
- Fold the material in half. The short end should not reach the longer end, about a decimeter or more.
- Start winding the line on the spool from the center bead. At this point, insert the line for the trimmer into the groove, bending it in half.
- Find the direction to lay the line in the grass trimmer reel. There are often arrows or writing on the bobbin to show the winding direction of the cord. Look closely at the body of the mowing head if there are no pointers on the reel. There is necessarily an arrow. The trimmer line should be wound in the opposite direction from the trimmer.
- Do not allow the coils to be laid haphazardly. They must be stacked one to one. Allow it to be fully wound.
- When you have finished winding, fasten the end of the shorter length in the groove on the side of the spool. Put the other one in the groove on the opposite side.
- Cut the ends, leaving 10-12 cm of protruding fishing line.
- Fasten the spool in the head. For this purpose, the ends of the fishing line are pulled through the exit holes.
- Tighten the ends of the protruding fishing line, fix the cover.
The line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer is tucked in another way. This will require a couple of pieces of fishing line. One end is bent with a hook and fastened through the hole to the bottom of the spool. The thread should be wound according to the direction of the arrow. Repeat the same for the second piece. The order of assembly of the head is the same as in the previous method.
Advantages of a trimmer head
In addition to the heads on trimmers use metal discs. Compared to them, cutting elements with a fishing line have a number of advantages:
- no need to sharpen consumables
- If stones or other hard objects hit, the trimmer fishing line will simply rip, not injuring others or the mower
- Thread breaks do not adversely affect the gears and motors of trimmers.
- The head machines remove grass better than their metal counterparts.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for a trimmer
Owners of trimmers, mainly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when there is a need to change cutting tools or line for a trimmer on a reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To make sure you always have the right tool for the job, if necessary, please refer to the step-by-step guide on the following pages.
- Before inserting the trimmer line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injury from accidental starting of the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the brushcutter head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver.
Types of trimmer heads for spools
The main element of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the line for the trimmer (cord) is tucked in. Heads differ in the way they feed and thread the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The filament is fed after that, as the user reduces the revolutions of the engine. Automatic cord feed is very convenient when you need to do a lot of work. The disadvantage of this head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulations. Its working principle is arranged so that the line for the trimmer begins to extend automatically at a time when the grass trimmer operates at full speed. It is only necessary to slightly knock the head of the device on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the fishing line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will be put forward from the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. After that, the trimmer line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trimmer reels
Instructions with step-by-step description on how to wind the grass trimmer and lawnmower spool
To make sure you have the right line for your tool, you should first take the head apart and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the application of the appropriate tooling.
If the information on the spool about what diameter line for trimmer can be threaded, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the tooling, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all are suitable. Let’s consider both methods in detail. Depending on what models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, it is up to you to decide which variant is suitable.
This is interesting!The principle of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the brushcutter lead is appropriate not only for standalone petrol units, but also for electric trimmers.
The cutting unit attachment
The cutting unit is the main component of the Philips trimmer. It has short, sharp edges and is used for fast, precise trimming.
To remove the cutting unit from the styler body, check for the disconnect button on the styler body. If it is present, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If the styler doesn’t have a release button, place your finger under the teeth of the cutting unit and slide it out of the appliance. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutting unit into the body of the styler, and then push the part with the teeth in until it clicks. Do not apply excessive force; this could damage the appliance.
If you are unable to install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the styler body and try cleaning it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric grass trimmer we bought works in the cottage or country house. Sooner or later there will come a time when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or maintenance. No need to remove the complete trimmer head to change the filament. Within this article I will tell you how to remove or replace the entire cutting head using the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer as an example.
Tips and advice on how to wind the line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for the experienced masters of mowing. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one clamp does not snap into place, the reel could pop out and injure a person when starting the tool
- Do not coil the trimmer line with a strong pull on it, or in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to wind the rigging than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own a tool with one line (usually these are low-powered machines), then the winding process is carried out in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material, you should first check that the tool works properly and then start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, the scaffolding can uncoil and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the correct material so you don’t get hurt when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. In the process of mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in protective special outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual is enough for up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials lasts less, which is important to consider when working. Don’t try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, since special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.