How To Check Oil In A Trimmer
- Selection tips
- How to use?
Gas trimmers are some of the most popular grass mowing devices. They are easy to use, mobile, allow a person not to depend on the outlet and show excellent results in places of their use. But for the stable operation of the gas trimmer, quality supplies are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is about the last component that we will discuss in this article.
Engine oil is a special mixture consisting of a solvent and additives that reduce friction. They form a certain viscosity and do not allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually, oils are specially painted in various colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused.
Keep in mind that they may vary in composition, so oil for gas trimmers will be labeled “for gardening equipment”. In addition, it may still differ in labeling: “2T” or “4T”. The first is a two-stroke oil that is poured into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
High-quality oil that can be poured into a gas trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. Oil should:
- To provide increased wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is particularly susceptible to this);
- Ensure the lowest possible smoke and exhaust gases;
- Prevent premature ignition
- Mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- Have good viscosity and fluidity in various temperature ranges;
- Be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As already mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke formulations. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. For each lawn mowing ratio will be different. You can find out its value in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, the type of motor must be considered.
If mineral oils are used, mixing should occur somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about a synthetic analogue, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or to 80. That is, a certain amount of oil dissolves in the volume of gasoline.
The oil that is poured into the motor may vary in the method of preparation. According to this criterion, it happens:
- Mineral – this type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- Synthetic – it is obtained during the processing or synthesis of gas;
- Semi-synthetic – this type has more advanced characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawn-mowing oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil can differ from analogues in additives, which give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main objective of the oil will be to reduce the wear of parts during operation of the device.
- Antioxidant. They do not allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time.
- Corrosion resistant. Their task is to prevent corrosion from forming on engine parts.
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users very often encounter the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to canisters. These designations are performed as part of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it.
- TA applies to air-cooled lawn mowers, the engine capacity of which is not more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of equipment. For a gas trimmer, this is the optimal solution.
- TB is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine capacity of which does not exceed 200 cubic centimeters. It can also be used for refueling gas trimmers.
- TC suitable for dilution with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- TD is for refueling boats, yachts and hoverboards.
But in addition to this classification, other FA-FD type letters are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is applied in Europe. But there is a mismatch between European smoke emission standards and American. For this reason, additional lettering should also be taken into account.
- FA can be used in countries where the law provides for minimal exhaust emissions. When using oil with this marking, faint smoke may be produced.
- FB – can be used in countries where smoke and gas restrictions are much stricter. In this case, smoke will hardly be emitted.
- FC – here appears smoke of a transparent color, which the human eye cannot notice.
- FD – a special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have enhanced chemical properties. Typically, this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts.
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out independent mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, you will need to do it.
Now let’s try to understand how to choose high-quality oil for a trimmer that runs on gasoline. The main feature that you need to pay attention to is the alkaline number. This moment excludes the oxidation of parts in which friction is observed, and decelerates their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of not less than 8-9 units.
Video: How To Check Oil In A Trimmer
The second important factor, which also has a major impact on the operation of the gas trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the possibility of using the device at various temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimum decrease in temperature.
The third point, the importance of which should not be minimized, is the flash point. This indicator should not be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. In addition, oil for a 4-stroke engine is not suitable for a 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers.
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating, which will allow you to navigate in the compositions offered by various manufacturers. For instance, stihl company It offers high-quality synthetic and mineral oils that have already established themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year.
Considered very good Shell Helix Ultra Oil. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, products of brands such as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo. If we talk about products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than its foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics.
How to use?
Information on the proportions of oil use was given above. We must say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. In the best case, you just need to change the oil, and in the worst you can’t avoid a motor breakdown.
It is important to be able to cook the mixture correctly. It is impossible to fill it in a gas tank. It is better to pour oil in a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic mineral bottle is perfect for this. It is very important that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand, which will serve as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical for 10 or more cubes.
Now step by step explain how to make good oil for a gas trimmer.
- First you need to know exactly what type of oil is required for a particular model of the braid, and also find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture.
- Then you need to fill the container. The tank should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because the oil should also fit there;
- Now we collect the necessary amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle with gasoline. You can’t do the opposite, otherwise you will need to replace all the ingredients, and the mixture will need to be done again.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. It is important not to forget that stirring the mixture is necessary if there are Premix words on the oil bottle. If Selfmix is written there, then after mixing the substances everything is poured into the tank.
Now it remains only to refuel the gas trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
See how to choose oil for gas trimmers in the next video.
It is well known that changing the oil in a car engine is a regular and mandatory procedure. From the correct selection and timely replacement of the lubricant, not only good work directly depends, but also the general motor life of any power unit. Note that a number of factors strongly affect the condition of the oil in the engine: the quality of the lubricant and the fuel being filled, the serviceability of the engine, the individual characteristics of the operation of a particular car, etc.
In the CIS, it is strongly recommended to change engine oil every 10 thousand kilometers traveled. This statement is true for both gasoline and diesel engines. In turbocharged engines or units that are constantly under severe operating conditions, it is recommended that the specified replacement interval be further reduced by 20-40%. Given the importance of the grease change procedure, in this article we will look at how to properly change the oil in the engine itself.
What you need to change the engine oil
The process of replacing engine oil is not a complicated procedure, especially if you do not plan to additionally flush the engine before such a change. If you decide to service the car yourself, but don’t know how to change the engine oil yourself, you need to fulfill a number of simple conditions:
- It is necessary to put the car on a flat platform and be able to freely access the bottom of the engine (oil pan). For these purposes, a garage with a pit is best suited. You can also use the flyover or lift.
- Next, you need to prepare a container for draining the mining. The volume of such a capacity will depend on the amount of lubricant in a particular engine.
- The next step is to warm up the engine to operating temperature, after which it is necessary to unscrew the oil filler cap, remove the oil filter and unscrew the drain plug in the oil pan.
- As for the removal of the filter element, many use a special oil filter wrench to remove it and install it later. You should also consider in advance that in most cases, to drain the grease, you will need to remove the crankcase protection (if any). For this reason, additional tools should be prepared in advance.
- After unscrewing the drain plug, it is necessary to allow the spent grease to leak out to the maximum through the drain hole. At the same time, it is possible to assess the state and degree of contamination, which may serve as a reason for making a decision on changing the type or manufacturer of the lubricant, additional flushing of the lubrication system, etc.
Oil change with engine flushing
To understand how to change the oil with the engine flushing, you need to clearly understand what means for such flushing you intend to use. Among the most common options are noted:
- Five-minute quick rinses;
- Ready flushing oil;
- Diesel fuel or a mixture of diesel fuel with oil, etc .;
The washing procedure itself in one way or another may be slightly different. For this reason, we recommend that you read our separate articles on this topic: when and in which cases it is worth using engine flushing before changing the oil, than washing the diesel engine when changing the oil, and how to flush the engine when changing the engine oil.
How to change engine oil without a hole
To begin with, there are several ways to change oil without a pit. Note that changing the oil in the engine in the traditional way (that is, by draining the grease) under such conditions is quite possible. The main difficulty is that access to the drain plug will be very difficult.
In a similar situation, most motorists use a jack, some put the car on bars or bricks. After jacking or fixing the raised car in another way, you need to substitute a flat container under the drain hole to drain the working out, after which you can unscrew the drain plug.
Another way is the so-called "express replacement" of motor oil. The essence of this operation is that the grease does not pour out of the pan, but is pumped out of it through the hole for the oil dipstick. To remove mining, you can use special equipment for pumping out vacuum or use a conventional syringe for pumping oil.
It is worth noting that this method, subject to the availability of special equipment, is less effective than traditional replacement, and in the case of a syringe it is considered a completely necessary measure. For this reason, experienced drivers and car mechanics highly recommend not often using the express oil change service. Vacuum replacement means that a greater amount of used oil remains in the motor compared to replacement by draining through the drain hole in the sump. As a result, old oil is mixed in large quantities with fresh grease, reducing its service life and degrading its beneficial properties.
Moreover, the risk of unwanted reactions between residues and new lubricant increases in the event of a change in the type of lubricant and / or manufacturer, the use of flushing compositions before replacement, etc. If you used the express oil change service or carried out such a procedure yourself, then the service interval should be reduced by 3-5 thousand kilometers traveled. Subsequent replacement must be carried out without fail in the traditional way.
The decision to change the engine oil on time (every 10 thousand km) or even make such a change a little earlier than the deadline is the key to cleanliness and proper operation of the power unit. This is true provided that such actions are carried out regularly, and also if the driver uses the same oil. Such operation means that there is no need to rinse the engine before replacements.