How To Choose A Good Cordless Screwdriver For Home
7 tips for choosing a quality screwdriver Tips from experienced craftsmen on choosing a quality screwdriver for construction and home repairs. How to choose the right screwdriver in 2017.
7 tips for choosing a quality screwdriver Recommendations for choosing
So, so that you know what to look for when choosing the right model for your conditions of use, we bring to your attention a few important tips from experienced craftsmen:
- Consider the tool torque (measured in Newton meters, [Nm]). If you need to screw / unscrew small screws in drywall and boards, it is enough to choose a model with a torque of no more than 30 Nm. For professional construction and roofing work, it is better to choose a model with a torque of over 40 Nm.
- When drilling holes in concrete and brick, it is better to opt for an impact screwdriver. Most modern models include this feature, but some may not have it, so it’s best to double-check it is there.
- The backlight above the start button will not hurt. Of course, some experts argue that the location of the flashlight above the battery is more effective, but one way or another, when choosing a screwdriver, pay attention to the fact that the backlight is in any case.
- Avoid the memory foam model. This function requires the battery to be completely discharged before placing it back in the charger. If you accidentally charge an incompletely dead battery on recharge, it will reduce its resource by an unexpired amount. Sometimes, inadvertently, the memory effect can become a whole problem.
- If you need a professional screwdriver for the job, we recommend choosing the more durable model with metal gears. In hobbyist and budget models, there are plastic gears.
- Pay attention to parameters such as ampere hours, which represent the capacity of the battery. For a home, the choice of a 1.5-2 Ah screwdriver will be quite reasonable. If you want to choose a power tool for a construction site, try to find a battery with a larger capacity, but keep in mind that it will cost more.
- Also, you should know which brand is the best screwdriver. Among the leading manufacturers are Bosch (Bosch), Makita (Makita), Hitachi (Hitachi), Metabo (Metabo). Better to overpay a little money and choose a quality tool. From Russian production, ZUBR and Interskol have good quality.
Comparison of screwdrivers from different manufacturers, you can look at:
Briefly about the varieties of the instrument
Today, there are several main types of screwdrivers, so the choice of the one that is suitable in price and quality should be carried out after you are familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each version. So, manufacturers of power tools produce the following models of screwdrivers, which you can choose not only for home and summer cottages, but also for work:
- Network (electrical) or battery. The first ones work from a 220V network, which is convenient if you need to work in one place next to an outlet (for example, when assembling furniture). Electric screwdrivers do not discharge, but as a disadvantage, attachment to the outlet, which is not very convenient if you need to work in a place where there is no electricity. In addition, the cord during electrical / installation work will constantly get tangled underfoot, which can also be attributed to the disadvantages of choosing a network screwdriver. Rechargeable models are more popular and, moreover, can hold a charge for more than an hour with active use. They are more often used by both professionals and amateur masters.
- The nutrient is represented by a lithium-ion battery (Li-lon), nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH), lithium-polymer (Li-Pol) or nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd). The lithium-ion battery holds a charge for a long time, quickly charges and, moreover, has no memory effect (we will talk about it below). If you need to choose a quality screwdriver for construction and electrical work, give preference to the cordless model with a lithium-ion battery. The only but significant drawback is the greatest cost of such power tools, therefore, it is better not to choose this option for summer cottages and rare repairs in the house. The nickel-metal hydride version of the battery is no less common. Due to its environmental friendliness, all modern manufacturers of screwdrivers are already gradually switching to this version. From the pros, the small dimensions of the battery should be distinguished (and therefore the lower weight of the instrument), and from the minuses, the high cost. Another type of rechargeable battery is lithium polymer. Its development is the most modern. The advantages of such a battery are higher capacity, the disadvantage is the shortest service life compared to analogues. Soon, lithium-polymer batteries for screwdrivers will be finalized and, most likely, will oust their competitors due to their undeniable advantages. Well, the last option that you can choose for your home and garden is a nickel-cadmium battery. Its undoubted advantage is inexpensive, so this option is most often found in budget screwdrivers. In addition, a 5-year shelf life can be considered a positive point (for other options, no more than 3 years). Pros do not give preference to screwdrivers with such a battery. The duration of charging in this case is an order of magnitude longer than in other versions, and besides, there is memory for charging in nickel-cadmium batteries.
- Hexagon or three-jaw chuck. The first type of cartridge is suitable just for home and summer cottages, if repair work is carried out extremely rarely and with the need for frequent replacement of equipment. If you want to choose a professional screwdriver, it is better to give preference to a universal three-jaw chuck, which is also called a keyless chuck. Its advantage can be fixed with any bit or drill, the main thing is that the diameter is appropriate.
- Voltage 12; 14.4 or 18 volts. The higher the voltage, the more the power of the power tool for the electrician. If you need to choose a powerful screwdriver for screwing in long self-tapping screws for metal, moreover, with a large diameter (for example, for roofing work on a roof made of corrugated board), choose an 18-volt model. A 12 V screwdriver will be enough to assemble furniture, housework or a summer residence.
- The number of modes is 1, 2 or 3. The simplest budget models, single-speed, their speed can be from 0 to 800 rpm. Reliable and popular cordless screwdrivers with 2 speeds from 0 to 400 rpm (for tightening) and from 0 to 1300 rpm (for drilling). The third speed can be found in professional versions. The number of revolutions per minute can reach as much as 3000.
We figured out the main options for execution, now we will provide some useful tips that will help you choose the right screwdriver for home, work and summer cottage. Be sure to review below, which clearly describes all the main parameters of this power tool.
Rating of the best models
Makita 8281DWPE. This 14.4 volt 2-speed nickel-cadmium battery can be used for both construction work and home. The price is justified by the quality and the presence of all the necessary functions, shock mode, fast charging, light weight, comfortable handle.
Bosch PSB 10.8 LI-2 0. An equally suitable option for home use and construction. The quality of Bosch products has been tested by time, and the model itself has a sufficient number of advantages: a good battery, a flashlight, and a lock on the power button. In general, this model justifies its price and we recommend choosing it for home and work.
Hitachi DS12DVF3. We personally use this screwdriver for electrical and construction work. Despite the fact that the model is already outdated and has some drawbacks (an inconvenient place for attaching a bit, a small battery capacity, a small reverse button), its reliability covers all the disadvantages. Particular attention should be paid to the rubberized case (you can clearly see it) how many times our Hitachi fell from the ladder, is still alive and working well.
Interskol DA-10 / 14.4M2. The undoubted advantage of the domestic manufacturer is the low cost of this model, but at the same time decent quality. This screwdriver has all the features you need, 2 NiCd batteries and a case. Due to its low price, the tool does not lend itself to particular criticism, so choosing this option for the house is the right thing.
We also recommend watching a test drive of the most popular shura. On you can clearly see the difference between 12 and 18 volts:
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver: 6 tips and a rating of 5 cool models
A screwdriver is essentially an electrical substitute for a screwdriver. It performs the same functions as its younger brother, only makes the process of tightening / unscrewing screws and bolts much faster. Such a tool is especially effective if there are tens or even hundreds of screws. The device can not only twist the screws. By installing a special drill, you can make holes in wood, plastic and thin metal with a screwdriver. Powerful devices even take bricks and concrete. In general, the tool is indispensable in everyday life and during repairs.
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- For household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- For professional, the indicator should be more than 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the screw will be screwed in. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself flow repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a slight downside to self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-metal hybrid eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
When comparing battery specifications, it’s also worth looking at capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
The numbers in the characteristic show with what force the screwdriver twists the self-tapping screw or how much force is required to overcome the load during drilling. What is the practical use of knowing the parameter? The diameter and length of the bolt to be screwed in depends on the torque. The higher the indicator, the longer and thicker the screws can be used in work without fear of failures or breakdowns. For example, at 40 N / m, it will be possible to freely drive a self-tapping screw 10 cm long into the tree.
In small household models, the torque is from 10 to 30 N / m, but the indicator can be adjusted by adjusting to the nozzle. For adjustment, a stop ring is provided on the screwdriver body, which goes immediately after the chuck. The user can coordinate the effort for a specific screw by scrolling the limiter. Result: as soon as the self-tapping screw is tightened to the desired level, the chuck will stop, although the motor will still work.
Interesting: The stop not only helps to tighten the bolts, preventing excessive sinking into the material, but also protects the tool from wear.
Everything about battery-powered screwdrivers: pros and cons
The main difference between the cordless screwdriver and the network model is the absence of a cord. Autonomy of work and non-attachment to an outlet are the main advantages of a tool with a battery inside.
The advantages of the device also include:
- Mobility. The tool and the charging battery are in the same housing, no additional elements are needed for operation. It is enough to take the device in hand, and it is already ready to work. Can be transferred to any location.
- Compactness. Typically, household autonomous screwdrivers are small in size. This makes the device especially convenient in hard-to-reach places.
- Versatility. Technique replaces screwdriver and drill.
In practice, a cordless instrument is indispensable in objects without electricity, when it is necessary to frequently move or climb to a height. The device can be operated outdoors or indoors.
The only drawback here is the need to periodically charge the battery. Manufacturers are trying in every possible way to solve this problem, for example, offering 2 batteries with the tool. While one is in the working process, the other restores energy.
The hackneyed truth is a brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
How to choose a screwdriver?
A screwdriver, for a real owner, is an indispensable thing in the household. Quite often, it becomes necessary to screw something (or vice versa, unscrew it) or drill a hole. For this purpose, a similar tool is also perfect, unless, of course, you are going to drill a concrete or brick wall or thick metal (although some models allow you to do this). Drilling a hole in wood is no problem!
Choosing a screwdriver together
The first moment you will need to decide on is the price of the instrument. Here everything will depend on what you need a screwdriver for. If you do not know that you will not use it often (but only in rather rare cases), then you do not need an expensive, professional model at all, for such cases a completely simple model is suitable and, accordingly, vice versa.
What types of screwdrivers are there?
All screwdrivers on the market can be divided into two categories according to the power source from which they operate. Some models work from the mains, while others have enough battery to work. It is precisely the battery models that enjoy the greatest (deserved) popularity. They are very convenient to use, mainly because they are very mobile, because sometimes, not always and not everyone has the opportunity to power the instrument from the 220 V network for the performance of certain works.
What you need to know when buying a cordless screwdriver?
If you decide to opt for a cordless tool, then you need to pay attention to the battery voltage (the range here is from 7.5 to 24 volts).
Accordingly, the higher the voltage of the battery, the longer it discharges and the more powerful the screwdriver itself. The tool with a battery with a minimum voltage will be able to screw a self-tapping screw into a soft material, but it will no longer work to drill a hole in thick metal or a brick wall with it.
P, blockquote 6,1,0,0,0.-
If you value your time, then you need to choose a tool with which they will also sell you two rechargeable batteries in a set. And when you work on one battery, the second will have time to recharge during this time.
Today, the vast majority of screwdrivers have almost the same set of functions, so we advise you to choose the model that will be most convenient for you, therefore, before making your final choice, we advise you to take the tool in your hands and just hold it in order to appreciate the convenience of work.
As for the complete set of the tool, it is difficult to advise something specific about this, in view of the fact that some manufacturers supply the tool in a case, with a set of various attachments and drills and a pair of batteries at a low price. Other manufacturers, on the contrary, will not provide you with anything at a high price only the tool itself. But in this case, it is these screwdrivers that are often the most reliable with constant use. Here is the very case in which the price determines the quality of the product.
Almost all good screwdriver models are equipped with a reversing tool for easy operation. This is a switch that allows you to change the rotation of the chuck. Thus, you can instantly switch from unscrewing the screw to tightening.
The lower the mass of the instrument, the less effort a person applies. The weight of a screwdriver can vary from 300 grams to 3 kilograms. On average, a handy device weighs 1 kilogram or more. It is more comfortable to work with such a tool.
The tool can have several speeds. The number depends on the parameters of the screwdriver gearbox. If the device has two speeds, then the first will allow the tool to rotate up to 450 rpm, and the second up to 1400 rpm.
Brushless or brushless motor
When choosing a tool for the job, compare the main characteristics of the commutator and brushless screwdrivers:
- The performance of tools with a brushless motor is one and a half times more. With the same capacity, batteries with a brushless motor will last longer without requiring additional recharging;
- The dimensions of the former are larger than the latter.
Decide if you really need a brushless screwdriver for your home. Many people work with a device that was made in China and do not complain about its effectiveness. The budget option manages to work off the money invested in it until it fails. Therefore, it is not worth repairing, it is easier to purchase an inexpensive screwdriver again, and work with a new tool. Everyone chooses independently.
The indicator is measured in newtons per meter. For home use, minor repairs, a screwdriver with a torque of 10 to 15 Nm is suitable. To perform professional work, you will need a device that develops a torque of up to 130 Nm.
The indicator can be easily adjusted using a special ring located at the chuck.
Choice by Specification Guide How to Choose the Right Screwdriver
Collecting furniture, unscrewing the screw, screwing the baseboard using a simple screwdriver is a difficult task. These manipulations are done much faster if you use a screwdriver. When a person decides to choose a device for working at home, he is faced with a problem. The construction tools market is filled with models that differ in capabilities and prices.Among the devices, there are two groups of screwdrivers:
- For professional work. The tool is able to withstand heavy loads. It is much more powerful because it has a lot of work done. Network screwdrivers are more expensive than household ones;
- Household. Designed for the same functions as the professional, but not able to handle the same load. The cordless screwdriver is suitable for home, summer cottages, furniture assembly.
First, decide on the purpose of using the device. If the task is to choose a tool for household chores, then take a closer look at household screwdrivers.