How To Choose A Good Cordless Screwdriver
Cordless screwdrivers. How to choose?
Cordless screwdrivers. How to choose? The tedious screwing of screws and self-tapping screws with a screwdriver has sunk into oblivion, because the modern market now offers an alternative replacement.
Cordless screwdrivers. How to choose?
The tedious screwing in screws and self-tapping screws with a screwdriver has sunk into oblivion, because the modern market now offers an alternative replacement. A screwdriver.
Now it’s not a problem to choose a modern professional tool. There would be enough funds. But when it comes to buying, then a person may well be confused among the abundance and variety of models.
Which company to choose a cordless screwdriver?
Modern manufacturers offer a very good selection of their products. Here are the most sought-after brands:
Of course, the most important thing when choosing any tool and equipment is to find out what properties a particular product has. Before choosing the right one from cordless screwdrivers, you should familiarize yourself with its technical characteristics:
- Battery power. The heart of this equipment is the battery. It depends on its capacity how long the work will last. The weakest battery, at 1.5A, will work for at least an hour, and if you buy a more powerful one, then the work can go almost non-stop. It is very important when a second spare battery is included with the screwdriver, which is used when recharging the first one. It is very important to fully discharge and charge the battery for long and trouble-free operation. If you do this partially, then soon it will become unusable, and with it the screwdriver. The nickel-cadmium battery costs a little less, but is slightly inferior to the lithium-ion battery, according to its data. So the choice is up to the buyer who wants to either save money or buy a durable tool.
- Tool weight and ergonomics. As a rule, you can choose a cordless drill based on weight. So, a lightweight kilogram device will be convenient for small jobs and is suitable even for a woman’s hand. But given that the main weight falls on the battery, the capacity is unlikely to be high. Most conveniently in the hand is a one and a half kilogram screwdriver with a non-slip rubberized handle. Basically, such equipment is made of plastic, and for the convenience of gripping, rubber pads are made, you should not forget about them.
- Torque. The rotational speed of the screwdriver head is one of its most important qualities. If you want to choose a truly multifunctional tool, then there should be at least two speeds. One of them, the minimum (about 480 rpm), is suitable for drywall or fiberboard. The second (about 1500 rpm) is suitable for harder materials such as hardwood or metal. It is important that the speed selector is in a finger-friendly place. Usually the button is located at the top of the case and is clearly visible. Smooth key travel is also important, with which you can increase or decrease the speed of the drill.
- Maximum diameter. The larger the diameter of the drill, the more versatile work can be done with this versatile screwdriver.
- Delivery set. A pleasant moment in the purchase can be the presence of additional batteries, a convenient ergonomic case for storing and a set of drills and bits. After all, in order for this gadget to serve for a long time, it must be stored in order, and carrying it to the place of work must be comfortable and safe.
- Additional functions. You can find a screwdriver, which has the name impact. This is a very useful option for some work, which makes the device multifunctional.
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- For household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- For professional, the indicator should be more. From 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the screw will be screwed in. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself flow repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium. Are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a small drawback. Self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-Metal Hybrid batteries are eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
When comparing battery specifications, it’s also worth looking at capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
Everything about battery-powered screwdrivers: pros and cons
The main difference between the cordless screwdriver and the network model is the absence of a cord. Autonomy of work and non-attachment to an outlet are the main advantages of a tool with a battery inside.
The advantages of the device also include:
- Mobility. The tool and the charging battery are in the same housing, no additional elements are needed for operation. It is enough to take the device in hand, and it is already ready to work. Can be transferred to any location.
- Compactness. Typically, household autonomous screwdrivers are small in size. This makes the device especially convenient in hard-to-reach places.
- Versatility. Technique replaces screwdriver and drill.
In practice, a cordless instrument is indispensable in objects without electricity, when it is necessary to frequently move or climb to a height. The device can be operated outdoors or indoors.
The only drawback here is the need to periodically charge the battery. Manufacturers are trying in every possible way to solve this problem, for example, offering 2 batteries with the tool. While one is in the working process, the other restores energy.
In branded models, the manufacturer, in addition to the standard features, also offers the user auxiliary functions. They greatly facilitate the work and can become a point above the “i”, dispelling doubts whether it is worth buying this or that model.
Most often found in tools:
- Charge indicator. A small light that will tell you when to put the battery on recharge;
- Reverse motion. And unscrew the screw, and the drill can be removed from the thick board;
- Impact mechanism. Indispensable if you need to work with a stone surface or brick;
- Illumination of the workplace. In some screwdrivers it is so powerful that there is no need for additional lighting.
There is also an impulse, various blockers, speed switches, etc. Each additional function is a plus to the price of the device, which means that you need to be 100% sure about its need in the device.
A hackneyed truth. A brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
The numbers in the characteristic show with what force the screwdriver twists the self-tapping screw or how much force is required to overcome the load during drilling. What is the practical use of knowing the parameter? The diameter and length of the bolt to be screwed in depends on the torque. The higher the indicator, the longer and thicker the screws can be used in work without fear of failures or breakdowns. For example, at 40 N / m, it will be possible to freely “drive” a self-tapping screw 10 cm long into the tree.
In small household models, the torque is from 10 to 30 N / m, but the indicator can be adjusted by adjusting to the nozzle. For adjustment, a limiter is provided on the screwdriver body. A ring that goes immediately after the chuck. The user can coordinate the effort for a specific screw by scrolling the limiter. Result: as soon as the self-tapping screw is tightened to the desired level, the chuck will stop, although the motor will still work.
Interesting: The stop not only helps to tighten the bolts, preventing excessive “sinking” into the material, but also protects the tool from wear.
The torque directly depends on the supply voltage of the screwdriver. The higher the voltage, the greater the maximum torque, the easier it is to tighten a self-tapping screw with a large diameter and length or drill a hole of the required diameter.
Screwdrivers are equipped with batteries with a supply voltage of 9 to 36 volts. The lowest voltage will only allow you to screw a drywall sheet to the profile. If you plan to work on the installation of wooden structures, drilling holes, tightening long screws of large diameter, where significant effort is required, then you should choose a tool with a supply voltage of at least 12-14 volts.
Characteristics of screwdrivers
Depending on the device of the screwdriver gearbox, the tool can have 1-2 or more rotation speeds. The planetary gearbox consists of a ring gear, a sun gear, a carrier and satellites.
With a two-speed gearbox, the first speed (up to 450 rpm) allows you to work on twisting / unscrewing self-tapping screws, and the second speed (up to 1400 rpm) makes it possible to use a screwdriver as a drill.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver?
Cordless drills. This is a tool that allows you to tighten and unscrew self-tapping screws, as well as drill holes in any hard-to-reach places without connecting the tool to the electrical network using a cable.
Today, almost all leading tool manufacturers offer screwdriver models that differ in their characteristics and prices.
In this review, let’s see what kind of screwdrivers are, how they work, how they differ from each other, and also find out the characteristics and cost of Russian and foreign screwdrivers Makita, Bosch, AEG, Hitachi, Dewalt, Metabo, Interskol, Zubr.
What are the screwdrivers?
Modern screwdrivers have some design features that make it much more convenient to work.
Some models are equipped with an impact mechanism that allows you to drill brick or concrete no worse than a conventional electric drill.
You can find cordless drills with LED illumination, which can be very convenient when working in places with poor lighting.
The presence of a spindle lock, as well as a keyless chuck, will help you quickly change equipment.
If, when buying a tool, you plan to perform some minor one-time work, the presence or absence of such additional options may not be critical. But if you plan to use a screwdriver often, performing large amounts of work, then their absence can become a very noticeable disadvantage.
Screwdriver battery. Which is better?
Today on the market there are screwdrivers equipped with rechargeable batteries of several different types. Lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride and nickel-cadmium. Which one is better and why?
The most popular today are nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion batteries.
Each type of battery has its own advantages and disadvantages, which can affect the overall impression of the instrument as a whole. What are the features of different types of batteries and what to look for before buying?
Without going into the jungle of electrical concepts, it is possible to advise for regular work to purchase a drill-screwdriver with a nickel-cadmium battery, which has two batteries in its configuration. While one is working, the other is being charged.
One of the main disadvantages of a Ni-Cd battery is the need to fully discharge it during operation, and then fully charge it. When not in use, a charged Nickel-Cadmium battery will quickly lose charge. In addition, such a battery, not recharged to full charge, after lying idle for a while, may lose capacity.
Lithium-ion batteries are believed to hold a charge longer between jobs and do not need to be fully discharged — they can be recharged even if they are not fully discharged.
But nickel-cadmium batteries have one more advantage. They can be used at slight negative temperatures.
How to choose a screwdriver: basic evaluation criteria
A screwdriver can be confidently called an almost indispensable tool, especially if the work being done is directly related to fastening something. With its help, without much straining the muscles of the hands, you can screw a huge number of self-tapping screws. Why are there self-tapping screws, modern screwdrivers are so powerful that they can be used to perform drilling operations in almost any material. But the most important feature of this electric tool is its mobility, and all thanks to batteries that can ensure uninterrupted operation of the tool for several hours in places where there is no electrical wiring. But this article will not be about them, but about screwdrivers. In this article, together with the website stroisovety.Org, we will study in detail all the screwdrivers available today, their capabilities and decide on the question of how to choose a screwdriver.
How to choose a screwdriver
What qualities should a modern screwdriver have?
Before deciding which screwdriver to choose, first you need to figure out what qualities it should have.
- The first is reliability.
- Secondly, the power to drill in a variety of materials.
- Third, ease of use. Here we mean not only the shape of the screwdriver, which allows it to be comfortably placed in the hand, but also light weight, small dimensions, easy operation and quick reloading.
- Fourthly, it is long-term performance without recharging the batteries.
- And, fifthly, this is additional functionality, which sometimes turns out to be unnecessary.
Each of the screwdrivers produced today, to one degree or another, has the above qualities. Some are more convenient, others are more reliable, others do not need to be recharged at all (we are talking about wired instruments of this type), and the fourth successfully combine all the above qualities. In this regard, the choice has to be made purely individual, therefore, we will understand a little more in detail with the need for the predominance of one or another indicator of the screwdriver. This is what will allow you to decide on the question of how to choose a cordless screwdriver.
Which screwdriver to choose
Which cordless screwdriver to choose
Let’s start in order, and first let’s take a closer look at reliability. This indicator of a screwdriver (and indeed of any construction tool) is influenced by many factors. This is the material from which its parts are made, and the direct design, and even such seeming, at first glance, trifles as the presence of anthers and protection against overheating. In this regard, the acquired screwdriver must be considered as a whole.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver
What can be the result, for example, of the lack of protection against overheating or against excessive loads on the tool? It’s simple. Dust gets clogged into the moving parts of the screwdriver, thereby preventing the gears and shafts from rotating normally, which in turn increases the load on the electric motor, which is difficult to withstand this state of affairs, and it burns out from overheating. Even if it does not burn out, the battery will run out of energy much earlier. I believe that the reliability of any tool should be fully ensured, and when approaching the question of how to choose a good screwdriver, this indicator must be taken into account one hundred percent, and it does not matter for what purpose this device is purchased (for household or industrial needs).
Now let’s talk about power. Again, if you purchase a screwdriver solely to tighten screws and nuts at home, then you can not pay much attention to this indicator. It’s another matter if the acquisition of this tool is caused by production necessity, which sometimes requires the impossible from the tool. When performing any work, you have to use the same apparatus to perform different operations. For example, at the moment you are screwing in the screws and suddenly you suddenly needed to drill a hole in the metal or just clean a section of the surface from the old paint.
Let’s just say that for drilling and cleaning surfaces using special nozzles, you need a lot of power. If we are talking about mundane working conditions, then you can quickly change the tool to a drill, but if you are sitting on the roof of a house and do not have a drill at hand? What then? These are the moments that should be taken care of when deciding how to choose a screwdriver. The power of this tool directly depends on the type of batteries used. Frankly speaking, you shouldn’t expect much from a nine or even twelve-volt battery. If the issue of high power of a screwdriver is already on the agenda, then turn your attention to a 16 or 18-volt screwdriver.
Convenience in work. Again, when purchasing this tool, you should proceed from the conditions of its use. If a screwdriver is bought for home use, then in order to occasionally screw the same ten screws or nuts, there is no need for special conveniences. In such cases, the main thing is that it turns normally.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver
But if we talk about the production conditions of operation, then here you have to think about the convenience against your will. Stand under the ceiling for at least half a day and twirl the drywall. What will happen to your hands in the evening? I agree, it’s a matter of habit. A person gets used to everything. But this approach doesn’t get you very far. Most work-related injuries result from this attitude. You need it? It is for this reason that a professional screwdriver should be lightweight, comfortable to hold in the hand, its modes simply have to switch quickly. In general, everything should be done in such a way as to distract the master as little as possible for associated operations.
If a screwdriver is not needed this second, then it should be possible to quickly fasten it to the belt and just as quickly remove it. As a rule, a special handbag is used for these purposes.
How to choose a network screwdriver
Now about long-term operation without recharging. This indicator is extremely important in industrial operating conditions, and it cannot be ignored when wondering how to choose a cordless screwdriver. To a large extent, this characteristic of a modern screwdriver depends on the type of battery used and the power consumption of the engine.
Today, several types of rechargeable batteries are produced for this tool. Lead-acid, nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride, lithium-ion and lithium-polymer. What is the difference between them? In their properties. For example, nickel-cadmium batteries are quite cheap and have a large capacity; their disadvantage is their size. Nickel-metal hydride have a high self-discharge current. They lose energy when inoperative. Lithium-ion batteries are not able to withstand temperature extremes and quickly fail. But lithium-polymer batteries are already something, they combine all the advantages of their predecessors and are practically devoid of disadvantages. In addition, they can be given any shape and fill the free space of the screwdriver. They are durable, stable and able to store a large supply of energy.
How to choose a good screwdriver
Well, as an alternative to replaceable power sources, wired screwdrivers act. You must admit that it is not so convenient to carry kilometers of cable along with you. Therefore, the question of how to choose a network screwdriver is removed from the agenda.
And finally, a few words about the functionality of the screwdriver. By and large, it is better to refuse the excesses in the form of local lighting flashlights and similar bells and whistles. Still, it is a tool, and its main task is to twist screws, screws and nuts. Approaching the question of how to choose a screwdriver, it should be understood that all additional and rarely used functions are nothing more than an element of unreliability.