How To Choose A Grinder F125 Selection Criteria
The grinder in the household The grinder, or angle grinder (angle grinder) is a universal household tool. It will come in handy everywhere, both in minor repairs and in construction in the courtyard.
Varieties of angle grinders
Depending on the place of work, the intended tasks, the need for mobile movement over long distances across the working area, the availability of energy sources for the operation of angle grinders, and other factors, grinders are classified into several categories, each of which has its own subdivision in terms of functionality, power, size, diameter, etc.
For example, a grinder with an electric drive and a gasoline angle grinder may be suitable for working on a personal plot or in a garden, it all depends on the area of the territory. If the garden is large, it is problematic and unsafe to constantly move the electric carrier around the site, and here a more effective solution would be to use a battery or gasoline sander. For professional use, pneumatic powerful models are perfect.
This option is added only to professional grinders. The angle grinder itself levels the beating of the disk, which occurs when it is unevenly abraded. The function makes sense when polishing or grinding.
Quick release clamp
To replace the old disc, the spindle is locked with a special spring clamp, after which you can unscrew the nut. For semi-professional models, an SDS quick-locking nut is installed, which can be turned without a key.
Power (P) of grinders for home or professional use 500-2700 W. At P = 500-900 W, it is better not to use the tool for cutting large volumes of materials and long-term work for this, angle grinders with a power of 1000-1500 W are more optimized. Construction and repair work is the purpose of grinders with a capacity of 1300-2700 W.
Scratch disk size
The bore diameter of the shaft for the disc is standard for all grinders and is 22.2 mm.
A total of 5 size discs are produced:
- Ø 115 mm blade for cutting thin materials and sanding small surfaces. Maximum cutting depth 30 mm;
- Ø 125 mm. Maximum cutting depth 40 mm;
- Ø 150 mm disc for assembly and repair work. Cutting gas and water pipes. Maximum cutting depth 40 mm;
- Semi-professional disc Ø 180 mm. Maximum cutting depth 50 mm;
- Professional blade Ø 230 mm for angle grinders ≤ 2.5 kW.
Grinder for home
The mass of angle grinders is the main indicator of the duration of work. Lightweight grinders weighing more than 1.2 kg cannot be used for more than 4 hours. LBM weighing 3.0-4.0 kg may not turn off for 2-3 hours. For professional work, heavy grinders weighing 6.0-9.0 kg are suitable.
- The presence of a battery charge indicator;
- Electronic stabilization system and soft start option;
- The maximum permissible disc size is 115 mm;
- Limiting rotation speed 10 thousand revolutions per minute;
- Lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 3 Ah;
- Weight 1.9 kg.
In real conditions, this grinder can be used in continuous mode for no more than half an hour. After each battery discharge, as indicated in the instructions, you must take a break for 20 minutes. Then you need to spend 20 minutes to fully charge the battery. In light of this, those looking for a tool to do a lot of work should choose a plug-in model. This grinder has several drawbacks. Firstly, the price is not very affordable, and, secondly, the risk of overheating in case of using discs with a thickness of more than 1.4 mm.
What disk size is considered suitable
In a grinder, the function of a cutting element is performed by a disc, thanks to which all the basic operations of cutting, grinding and cleaning are carried out. But due to the design features, only a disc of a certain diameter can be installed on the grinder. The first thing you should know is that the blade is capable of providing a cutting depth of no more than 1/3 and ¼ of its diameter.
The whole variety of disks can be divided into 5 main classes:
- 115 mm. This consumable allows for 25 mm deep cuts, which makes them unsuitable for cutting metal. They are mainly used for grinding and small cutting jobs.
- 125 mm. Allows cutting to a depth of about 4 cm. The most popular type of disc today. If you purchase it with a full set of attachments, the master can easily cut any materials. It is this type of consumable that should be preferred if you choose a grinder for use in the country or at home.
- 150 mm. An excellent solution for renovation work. With this blade, you can easily cut concrete, metal pipes and even brick, creating a cut up to 5 cm deep.
- 180 mm. It makes sense to acquire such a disk for those who are going to carry out construction or major repairs with the laying of engineering systems on their own.
- 230 mm. Consumables designed for professional power tools. They allow you to make a cut up to 7 cm deep. Because of this, it is rarely used at home.
If you decide to install heavy circles on such a low-power grinder, then its rotation speed will immediately drop. Therefore, you should remember that a grinder on which a disc of a larger diameter is installed, in practice, may turn out to be low-power and ineffective.
Most tool models designed to work with large discs have a rotation speed of 7-9 thousand rpm. For small-diameter discs, manufacturers produce tools with a number of revolutions up to 12 thousand rpm.
Please note that the number of revolutions indicated on the device refers to idle operation. During operation, the real rotation speed will differ from the declared one in a smaller direction. In addition to standard modifications A tool with a manual adjuster is available to allow the technician to manually adjust the speed.
Metabo WEV 10-125 Quick
- Quick-clamping disc fixation;
- Protection against restarting and disk jamming;
- Soft start option, overheating and overload protection;
- Well thought out cooling system;
- Maximum disc diameter 125 mm;
- The ability to adjust the rpm in the range from 2800 to 10500 per minute;
- Motor power 1000 W;
- Weight 2.1 kg.
Some consumers consider a long cord and an overheating indicator to be among the advantages. In practice, overheating of the grinder occurs after about an hour of operating the device in continuous mode at maximum speed.
Bosch GWS 12-125 CIE
The model belongs to the category of a professional tool and confidently occupies a position in the middle price segment. It can be used to perform various types of operations, from cutting metal to grinding any surface. Among the advantages of the Bosch GWS 12-125 CIE model, the presence of a vibration protection system should be highlighted, which ensure comfortable and safe work. The model under consideration has the following performance characteristics:
- Overload protection and disk jamming;
- An adjustable handle, with which you can turn the grinder into a tool for left-handed people;
- Restart protection and soft start option;
- Admissible disc diameter 125 mm;
- Six-position speed control in the range from 2800 to 11 thousand rpm;
- Motor power 1200 W;
- Weight 2 kg.
Additionally, it should be said that this grinder allows you to fix the start button, thereby making it possible to rest your hands while holding the tool in the working position for a long time.
An angle grinder (angle grinder), consisting of a motor and an abrasive wheel, appeared in the USSR in the 1970s. The tool was supplied by the Republic of Bulgaria, therefore, the people called it Bulgarian. Modern angle grinders are used wherever it is required to process hard materials: leveling concrete and stone, cutting metal and asbestos cement, sanding wood and plastic. What are the parameters for choosing the right tool for work at home and in the country?
Angle grinder motor power
The more engine power, the more force the tool develops, the more dense materials it is able to cut. With increasing power, the weight of the device increases. The industry produces tools with motors from 0.5 to 3 kW. For home and summer cottages, it is recommended to choose angle grinders with engine power from 0.8 to 1.2 kW. The more powerful mechanism is more difficult to hold in your hands, it consumes more electricity during operation.
A professional tool is designed for long-term operation, it has a higher service life. If large-scale construction is planned in the country, cutting steel bars, assembling formwork, you can use a tool with a motor up to 1.5 kW.
Gallery: LBM from the rating. Table: rating of popular LBM models
What parameters are important when choosing a grinder Observe safety!
Do not use the angle grinder without a cover. Is it dangerous. Discs must be designed for grinders, other discs are strictly prohibited.
Grinder selection criteria
- The first criterion in choosing a grinder is the scope of application.
Will you use it constantly or just twice a year. What kind of work will you need it for: for professional or household use. For home use, the simplest car can come off, but for specialists the grinder should only be professional.
- Number of angle grinder handles.
For simple work on an ordinary light grinder, there may be one handle, but on more serious machines there should still be two handles, safety and quality of work will depend on this. It is also important that the handles are comfortable and rubberized.
- The size of the disk will also depend on the intended work.
The smallest disc size is 115 mm, it is suitable for the simplest work. The largest disc size is 230 mm, they can cut almost anything you want: pipes, bricks, slabs. The optimal and convenient size for household use is 125 mm, and for repairs in an apartment, a 180 mm disc would be a suitable option. Professionals usually have several grinders for different purposes.
- The power of the grinder varies from 0.5 to 2.5 kW.
The choice of power depends on the type of work and the duration of the motor operation, as well as the motor power should be enough to spin the disc. That is, when choosing a grinder, keep in mind the duration of the proposed work, its severity and the weight of the discs.
- Spindle speed.
In high-quality tools, the electronics itself optimally selects the rotation speed, but some machines have a manual speed selection. In this case, it is better to trust professional models, because it is not always possible to independently choose the required speed.
- High-quality branded grinders are equipped with additional necessary functions.
The soft start system will allow the car to start without jerking, and will also smooth out power surges. And automatic disc balancing will be useful in case of uneven wear of the discs, since the system smooths out unevenness, and also reduces vibration and runout.
- On large grinders with high power, anti-jamming protection is provided.
At the moment of jamming, the angle grinder turns off the engine automatically, which can prevent the most sad consequences, since the grinder is unpredictable at such moments.
- Also, for safety reasons, you can pay attention to the presence of protection against restarting.
In this case, when the current is turned on, the grinder will not start working on its own.
- Make sure that the grinder has protection for the engine from various particles and dust, the windings of the engine system are covered with a resistant varnish, and the bearings are hidden.
Under the name Bulgarian, in fact, is an angle grinder, or angle grinder. She owes her name to the Russians, who abbreviated this nickname due to the fact that it was produced and released in Bulgaria. The angle grinder may be needed for many needs, because it is a universal machine, since it can be used when working with metal, stone, concrete, and is also capable of making grooves in walls, removing paint and even polishing the surface.