How to Choose Lawn Mower For Home And Cottage
Lawn Mower is a loyal assistant who will help the summer resident to cope with weeds and young shoots of bushes or to tidy up the lawn, giving it a well-groomed appearance. The tool must be selected taking into account the work where it will be used. Knowing the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed varieties of gas trimmer will help in choosing.
The best manufacturers of motokos. which company to choose
Only a tool in which the optimal combination of important parameters is precisely calculated, where the best components are used in combination with high build quality, can turn routine work into a pleasant task.
This tool includes motor-scythes of the following brands:
Principle of operation and arrangement of Lawn Mower
Lawn Mower, regardless of the variety to which they belong, have a similar design.
The main elements are:
1. Gasoline engine;
2. A rod with a handle, an arm-limiter and a device for stopping the engine;
3. Throttle control lever;
4. Cutting working head in a protective casing.
The engine is located in the upper part of the rod, opposite the working head. The principle of operation of the gas trimmer is simple: the engine rotates the shaft, and with the shaft the working head, equipped with a cutting element, rotates and cuts off the grass.
Types of motokos
Two stroke engines
Lawn Mower is not a car, she is not required to be very playful, a two-stroke engine perfectly copes with the load imposed on him. Most manufacturers equip gas trimmers with a two-stroke engine, which is why the price of a tool is 1.5-2 times lower than a trimmer with a four-stroke engine.
- Lower price;
- Less (15-20%) weight;
- They have a more uniform course and respond better to the gas button;
- It is easier to maintain and repair, since there is no camshaft and a complex valve system;
- Fewer parts in the engine design increase its reliability;
- The need to prepare a fuel mixture of oil and gasoline;
- Greater toxicity of exhaust gases, the exhaust includes an unburned fuel mixture and has an unpleasant smell of burnt oil;
- Produce more noise, smoke and vibrations;
- They have greater fuel consumption: gasoline needs 20% more, oil will need twice as much as for a four-stroke engine;
- Less durable, running hours to overhaul 25% less.
Four-stroke Lawn Mower
Four-stroke trimmers have recently become increasingly popular due to their superiority in some parameters of traditional models.
Comparative analysis of the weight of the proposed tool with a power of 1 hp:
1. gas trimmer with a two-stroke engine: average weight. 5.85 kg, maximum weight. 8 kg; minimum weight. 4.5 kg;
2. gas trimmer in a four-stroke engine: average weight. 6.4 kg, maximum weight. 7 kg; minimum weight. 6 kg.
That is, the average difference in weight for a tool with a power of 1 hp about 0.5 kg, which is almost imperceptible.
- Separate oil filling into the crankcase of the device provides better lubrication of all nodes, due to which the working life of the engine of the brushcutter increases (approximately by 25%);
- Profitability due to less fuel and oil consumption (the benefits are noticeable when performing large volumes of work);
- Provide more comfortable working conditions: insignificant noise level, less exhaust gases.
- Higher price;
- Heavier than gas trimmers with a two-stroke engine by 10-15%;
- Harder to maintain;
- Engine repairs will be more expensive.
Lawn Mower with a hard drive
In this type of tool, rotation from the engine to the working head is transmitted through the gearbox and the rigid shaft in the form of a rod, which is located inside the rod. The bearings for it are roller bearings. A rigid shaft transfers significant forces to the working head.
The gear in most models is located at the bottom of the trimmer. It transmits torque from the engine to the cutting nozzles at an angle of 30 °, supporting the operation of the knife or blade in a horizontal plane. In this case, the gearbox reduces the angular velocity and increases the torque of the shaft, which increases the efficiency.
Video: How to Choose Lawn Mower For Home And Cottage
Mostly hard drives are equipped with models with increased power, capable of withstanding significant loads. Rigid scythes with a hard drive are always straight.
- Advanced functionality. cutting bushes, weeds. Tooling with a hard drive includes steel knives or saw blades, and not just fishing line with which you can cut grass;
- Many models have a collapsible design, which simplifies the transportation of the tool to the summer cottage or to the place of mowing;
- The ability to withstand prolonged torque loads, which increases the life of the tool as a whole;
- The presence of a gearbox reduces the load on the engine, which increases the service life of the brushcutter.
- Higher price;
- A rigid shaft located inside the rod causes more pronounced vibration;
- The presence of a gearbox, which is part of a rigid shaft design, increases the weight of the tool;
- The need for a systematic replacement of gear lubricant (once every 10-15 hours).
Flexible Lawn Mower
If the tool bar is bent, it definitely has a flexible drive. Through it, a torque is transmitted from the engine to the working head. The design of the flexible shaft includes a core and several layers of wire with an alternating direction of winding.
- Less weight;
- Less tool vibration during operation;
- The tool is more convenient, the trimmer head is easier to hold in the correct position. parallel to the ground;
- Good maneuverability. the braid is convenient when processing areas with complex terrain, as well as areas where obstacles or areas that do not need processing are located.
- Less reliable;
- Limited functionality. a weaker drive can only service a head with a fishing line or with a plastic knife.
Lawn Mower selection options
With an increase in engine power, tool indicators such as:
4. Fuel consumption;
The acquisition of an overly powerful gas trimmer unnecessarily results in unnecessary expenses and increased physical activity necessary for processing the territory. For a plot of 5-10 acres, 1 kW (1.36 hp) will be enough.
An important parameter, given that it is necessary not only to hold the braid, but also to actively move with the tool in hand. The belt, of course, reduces the load, but it’s much more comfortable to work with a scythe, which weighs 5.5 kg, than 8 kg. An average power tool weighs 6.5-7 kg.
The parameter affects the performance. the wider the strip, the faster the plot will be processed. The processed strip width is important for the selection of the tool that will be used to mow a large area. If the plot is small, the parameter indicator does not have much significance.
Shaft rotation speed
The cut quality depends on the number of revolutions of the cutting system per minute. A high rotational speed guarantees the growth of healthy grass, as it does not damage the stems of plants.
Type of cutting element
Depending on the tool drive, the cutting elements can be:
1. Fishing line (cord) is designed for mowing grass. The thicker the cord, the more coarse grass can be cut. The thickness of the cord that can be used depends on engine power and ranges from 1.2 to 2.4 mm. Direct relationship: a more powerful engine. thicker fishing line. coarser grass.
2. Knives are used to cut thick grass with thicker and coarser stems. A knife can have several blades (usually from two to four), the larger their number, the more efficient the work. A knife with eight teeth is used when processing areas with interwoven grass.
3. The saw blade will help cut young growth of shrubs. He represents a knife with many teeth. As a rule, he is equipped with a professional tool.
The shape of the rod depends on the type of shaft that is placed inside.
The shape of the bar may be as follows:
1. A curved rod, inside of which a flexible shaft, is well absorbed in case of accidental impact of a knife against a stone.
2. A tool with a straight bar, inside of which a rigid shaft is designed for more significant loads, is able to deal with dense growth.
The scythe with a folding bar is convenient for transportation. If you do not intend to take the tool out for haymaking, and it is kept all the time in the country, it is better to opt for a non-separable model.
This design completely eliminates the ingress of particles of dirt, grains of sand, which ultimately affects the service life.
Manufacturers offer a tool with three handle options:
1. D-shaped. compact, convenient for a small amount of work, as well as when mowing grass on a site with shrubs;
2. J-shaped. convenient when working with a metal knife, more compact than a U-shaped, but less "sweeping";
3. U-shaped. the most successful option, which is equipped with a tool with great power. But this kind of inconvenient when mowing grass under the bushes, as the branches cling to the handle.
The tank volume varies from 0.4 to 1.5 liters. The amount of fuel capacity determines the time of non-stop operation. Do not forget that the expansion of the capacity entails an increase in the weight and dimensions of the engine.
In addition, manufacturers recommend using the Lawn Mower non-stop for a period of 30-40 minutes, after which it is necessary to give the engine “rest” so that it does not overheat.
It is included in the mandatory equipment models with a U-shaped handle. Other models may not be equipped with a belt, so you need to pay attention to its presence or the possibility of its use.
Which motocosa to choose
1. For professional operation, processing a large summer cottage (more than 10 acres) or, if necessary, harvesting hay, you must give preference to a model with a power of more than 1.5 kW, a rigid shaft and a U-shaped handle;
2. Maintain a small lawn in order, using a gas trimmer with an engine power of 0.5-1 kW with a flexible shaft. A curved bar with a D-shaped handle will simplify the job;
3. For the site where you have to deal with the overgrowth of hard grass, you can purchase a tool with a power of 1-1.5 kW, which includes not only fishing line but also a knife.
How much is Lawn Mower
1. Low-power (up to 1 kW). from 3.8 thousand rubles. up to 32 thousand rubles;
2. Average power (from 1 to 1.5 kW). from 3.8 thousand rubles. up to 33 thousand rubles;
3. High power (from 1.5 kW and more). from 4 thousand rubles. up to 54 thousand rubles
Friends will be interested too
Would you like to receive current ratings and selection tips? Subscribe to our Telegram.