How To Clean Sparks From An Angle Grinder With Tiles
Laying tiles is not complete without the need to adjust its size to the size of the available planes. Typically, a tile cutter is used for this purpose, but not all home masters have it, and the purchase of this tool is not always advisable. Sometimes it is necessary to fit one or two tiles, and solving this problem is easier by other methods. There are several options. from using a glass cutter to drilling the desired shape. Most methods have too serious drawbacks, especially if you want to separate a narrow strip.
What is the feature?
The use of a tile cutter does not do without subsequent refinement of the edge with sandpaper or a bar.
angle grinder (angle grinder) speeds up the process and gives a clean cut, but for this you will need to use the correct working methods.
Crucial is the speed of rotation of the circle.
The higher it is, the smaller the size and number of small chips will be. A common mistake is to use a tool with a large diameter disc. According to the masters, using a small angle grinder is easier and safer, especially when making a curved cut.
Edge quality depends on several factors:
- accuracy of the cutting line;
- reliability of material fixation, lack of surface movements during operation;
- the correct choice of the side from which the tile is cut;
- used tool (disk).
The cutting technology depends on the characteristics of the material, the thickness of the tile and the configuration that you want to give. The easiest way is to perform a direct cut, to give a curved shape you will have to use special working methods.
Important! To obtain the desired result, you will need to organize a workplace with a fixture for durable fixation of the tiles and convenient access to the work surface.
Choosing a cutting disc
The right choice of nozzle determines how clean the edge of the tile will turn out.
All discs are capable of cutting material, but the quality in each case will be different.
Consider the possible options:
- stone discs. Inexperienced people choose them because of the low price. The result is a large amount of dust, a sloppy cut with a lot of chips. The thickness and degree of roughness of the stone disc do not allow to obtain a clean and even edge, they require laborious refinement, which takes a lot of time;
- steel disks (dry cutters). Experienced craftsmen unanimously recommend choosing diamond-coated metal discs. They are thin, give a clean cut without excess dust. Steel disks allow you to work without cooling, but the duration of the process is limited to 1-1.5 minutes, after which it is necessary to allow the tool to cool at idle (without turning off the angle grinder). They are divided into segmented, continuous and combined samples;
- segmented dry cutters. This is a type of metal disc whose working surface is divided into several segments. Used for cutting solid types of material. pavers, concrete, porcelain stoneware or natural stone. Segments allow more efficient cooling of the disk during operation;
- continuous dry cutters. Used for processing ceramic types of tiles. They need periodic cooling. When a solid red spark-strip appears, a couple of times should be carried out with a disk on a concrete or other abrasive surface. They give a clean cut, on the side you can further process the edge of the tile;
- combined discs. Their working surface is wavy, and the cutting edge is intermittent. Combined (turbocharged) discs are considered universal, designed to process any material with or without water cooling. Due to the wavy shape of the cutting line, the disk thickness is increased, which contributes to increased dust formation.
The choice of nozzle is determined by the type of material and the amount of work ahead. Experienced tilers use solid dry cutters, explaining this by the high quality of the cut and the ability to additionally grind the edge. If there is a laying of dense and solid material. porcelain stoneware, natural stone. the use of segmented or combined samples of cutting tools will be the best choice.
The cutting technique depends on the material, thickness and configuration of the cut. The easiest way is to divide the tile into two parts in a straight line. To perform curved closed or open cutouts, you will have to strain and perform more labor-intensive procedures.
Video: How To Clean Sparks From An Angle Grinder With Tiles
Consider how to cut a tile angle grinder in a straight line:
- on the front surface with a marker marks the fishing line.
- The tile is fixed on a flat, hard surface so that the cut line passes over the edge of the base. This will help to break off part of the tile after making an incision of the desired depth.
- Turn on the angle grinder, wait a couple of seconds to set the maximum rotation speed.
- Carefully make an incision by holding the angle grinder towards you. The disk touches the surface from the outside so that, due to the thickness of the tool, the width of the tile is not reduced.
- The tool should be held tightly, do not allow it to vibrate or swing from side to side. This will ensure a smooth and clean cut without chips.
Often there is a need to make a cut at an angle to tightly reduce the surface when facing the external corners of the walls. Consider how at home an angle grinder to correctly cut ceramic tiles at an angle of 45 °:
- mark with a marker the line of the cut.
- Fix the tile on a flat and firm base so that the cut line is outside the table.
- Cut tiles in a straight line.
- Turn the angle grinder at an angle and carefully process the edge until the desired bevel is obtained.
- Finally bring the edge to the desired state using a grindstone (bar).
In order to make a curly neckline, you must:
- draw a cutout shape on the surface of the tile.
- Fix the tile so that the cutout is free.
- Angle grinder gently make several cuts along the contour of the figure. As an option, make a cross-shaped deep incision along the central axes and gradually cut the inside, approaching the edges.
- When the shape of the cut-out will be as close as possible to the desired state, final processing is carried out using a file or emery paper with large grain.
Large-sized holes (for sewer pipes or other communications) are made as follows:
- the center of the hole is marked and a hole with a diameter of 3-4 mm is made using a special drill.
- On the front and back sides a circle is drawn, which is subject to excavation.
- On both sides, neat cuts are made along the contour of the future hole. The depth of the cuts is 2-3 mm. is not recommended, as there is a threat to go beyond the border of the circle and spoil the edges.
- Through cuts are made in the central part of the hole, after which the pliers carefully break out the tile pieces along the notch line.
- Finishing work is done on the edge of the hole with sandpaper rolled up.
Open cutouts in tiles are most easily done using a fixed motionless angle grinder. The technique resembles working on a grinding machine. the disk rotates in a vertical plane, the tile is fed to the tool and cuts are made along the edges. After that, the central part of the cutout is removed and its inner edge is cleaned.
Important! Making cuts and holes is a complex procedure that requires accuracy and precision. Do not rush, rushing will lead to damage to the material.
Features of cutting porcelain tiles
To properly saw porcelain tiles at home, you must use a solid diamond blade. It will allow you to get a clean cut with a minimum number of chips. You need to choose a tool with a large thickness of the diamond layer. it is more efficient and less heated. Consider how to saw porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips:
- the tile is laid on a flat base, placing a thin foam or similar material under it, fixed with clamps.
- Stick on masking tape on the front side and draw a cut line.
- Cut away from you, guide the tool so that there is the possibility of finishing the edge.
- Remove the remaining tape and sand the edge of the tile with sandpaper until the desired surface finish is obtained.
When cutting porcelain stoneware, increased chip formation is possible, so you should not neglect the masking tape sticker along the cut line. The most risky type of material in this regard is glazed tile, which should be cut away from the intended line by a couple of millimeters, then to clean the edge and at the same time adjust the size.
Technically, such a tile consists of concrete with aggregate of crushed stone. Therefore, in order to correctly and evenly cut off paving slabs, a segmented or combined diamond blade designed for hard materials should be used. Working with paving stones generates a large amount of dust, so you need to perform cutting outdoors.
It is recommended to select the site at some distance from the storage or paving slabs, so that the settling dust does not spoil the color of the material and does not require cleaning. You should also take care of the availability of appropriate clothing and protective equipment. glasses and a respirator. The cutting process itself is not of significant complexity. the usual technique of continuous cutting or notching followed by splitting is used (if the thickness of the tile is too large for through cutting).
Important! Dust generated when cutting paving slabs is able to eat into the surface. If it gets on the tile laid or prepared for laying, immediately clean it with a hard brush and move it to another place.
How to do without dust?
The formation of large amounts of dust is an integral process that accompanies the cutting of tiles or tiles. There are two ways to get rid of dust:
- use of a vacuum cleaner;
- moistening the surface of the tile or supplying water directly to the cutting tool. wet cutting.
The first option is ineffective, since the rotation of the disk with high speed gives the smallest particles of the material great speed and energy. The vacuum cleaner simply does not have time to capture them. Moisturizing gives the best result. It is made by filling a notch with water, passing an angle grinder and repeating the procedure. Another option is to supply water through a thin tube to a disk or to a work area. This method gives the greatest efficiency, allowing you to cool the disk and prevent the spread of dust.
To ensure safety when cutting tiles, the following requirements must be met:
- use a protective cover;
- hold the angle grinder tightly, do not turn it vertically;
- apply appropriate satellites. workwear, goggles, a respirator, gloves, etc.;
- work outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
In addition, it is necessary to observe electrical safety precautions, do not use a faulty tool with a damaged insulation of the case and wire. Before you cut the tiles with an angle grinder, you should prepare the workplace, ensure the appropriate conditions. lighting, ventilation, etc. Compliance with these simple rules will avoid injuries and perform work without harming health.