How to clean the carburetor on a STIHL 180 chainsaw
Eliminating carburetor malfunction
If, as a result of pressure on the gas, the chainsaw begins to stall, then the problem lies in the carburetor. Also, a sign of a malfunction of the carburetor may be a protracted start of the chainsaw and the impossibility of gaining speed.
Most often, such a malfunction occurs as a result of wear of the rubber cuff, which is located on the piston of the fuel booster. As a result, air is sucked in when starting the tool. Basically, such a breakdown occurs after several years of operation of the chainsaw.
Elimination of this malfunction is carried out in the following sequence:
Remove the carburetor. Remove the screw that holds the membrane cover. Turn the carburetor so that the pin is visible. From it you need to remove the retaining ring and disconnect the air damper spring. Then the throttle valve. To do this, you need to unscrew the screw that holds it. The next step is to remove the damper axle. Pull out the accelerator with the spring. It has a cuff. The wear of this particular element leads to air leaks and engine stalling after a recent start. The piston with the cuff must be replaced. Assemble the carburetor in reverse order and install it on the chainsaw.
Now we know how to fix a common carburetor malfunction. Observing all the rules, you can easily do these works with your own hands.
HOW TO. Carburetor & Fuel Line Repair on STIHL 017, MS170, 018, M180 Chainsaw Part 2/3
Checking the ignition system
If the tool does not start, then the problem may be hidden in the starter mechanism or in the ignition system. In the event that the starting device works normally, then it is necessary to carefully inspect the spark plug. It needs to be unscrewed and carefully inspected.
Particular attention should be paid here to the electrodes, on which plaque can accumulate. If there is a red-brown coating on the electrodes, then this indicates a serious malfunction of the entire starting system. So, the cause of the malfunction may lie in the carburetor.
If the ignition system works normally, but the tool does not work properly, then the problem may be associated with an excess of air-fuel mixture. Here you need to adjust the carburetor and clean the jets.
Do-it-yourself chainsaw carburetor adjustment
If during the inspection, carbon deposits were found on the candle, then this means that the tool is running on low-quality gasoline. Also, the reason for this may be incorrect functioning of the carburetor.
To solve such a problem, you need to take the following steps:
- remove the carburetor and check it;
- if necessary, clean and adjust it;
- replace fuel;
- install the carburetor and check the tool in operation.
It is worth noting here that the carburetor is a rather complex unit. Therefore, if there is a need for its repair, then it is better to seek help from specialists.
Attention: the chainsaw should only operate on the fuel specified in the instructions. The use of low-quality fuel will lead to various malfunctions.
With this information, you can repair your STIHL 180 chainsaw at home. Of course, you need to take into account that it is better to eliminate more serious malfunctions in service centers.
Watch an overview video about diagnosing the lubrication system of the STIHL MS180 chainsaw:
1) STIHL MS 180 chainsaw malfunctions: Throttle wedges and finally the throttle key stops moving completely. Cause: Transparent translucent resin on carburetor throttle shaft causing throttle grip. Tar is formed when gasoline dissolves a defective air damper coating. Chainsaw repair: The carburetor throttle body shaft should be cleaned with acetone and the choke valve itself should be tin irradiated.
2) Chainsaw malfunction: Chainsaw does not pull. Cause: Clogged carburetor. Chainsaw repair: Cleaning and cleaning the carburetor chains. Particular attention is paid to cleaning the carburetor to be cleaned with an additional filter (grill in the carburetor chainsaw). remove the largest carburetor cover, remove the membrane underneath and clean the dirt of the mesh in the groove (be careful not to lose this mesh). Of course. clean with a thin copper wire, rinse and blow through all the channels in the carburetor chainsaw.
3) Chainsaw Malfunction Calm 180: Chainsaw idle speed has increased (idle speed control is ineffective and unstable). Cause of malfunction: Air intake through the crankshaft oil seals or elsewhere. Chainsaw Repair: Replace the crankshaft oil seals and check for other possible suction areas.
Carburetor repair STIHL 180
repair cleaning carburetor STIHL 180.
Calm 250 chainsaw malfunction (carburetor chainsaw malfunction):
Immediately after winding, the chainsaw runs at an increased speed, and if you press on the gas, instead of starting to accelerate, it “chokes” and even stops. Or it does not start well, does not pick up speed and stalls (this chainsaw malfunction applies to other expensive chain saws with an accelerator pump in the carburetor).
Chainsaw failure reason: Worn rubber cuff on the piston of the accelerator pump in the carburetor (fuel booster). This leads to the intake of air by the accelerating pump, and the main jet injects a lean air-fuel mixture (mixed with a small amount of gasoline) into the diffuser, and the chainsaw first operates at high speeds, and then “throttles” and nods. This occurs after 2-3 years of operation and usually occurs during the hot summer months.
Oil supply repair
Often the oil system of a STIHL 180 chainsaw is damaged. Such a malfunction can be determined by the dryness of the working circuit or the presence of a leak.
The solution to this problem must be started with a thorough examination of the hose through which the oil is supplied. The connection of the hose with the fittings is also amenable to inspection.
During the inspection and repair of the oil system, it is also necessary to clean the filter. Contamination often leads to poor oil flow.
If there is an oil leak, it means that the tightness in the system is broken. This primarily applies to the hose and oil channels. Most often, such malfunctions occur as a result of mechanical damage to system elements.
The process of removing and cleaning the air filter
If, as a result of the inspection, a violation of the integrity of the hose was determined, then it is replaced. If the damage is minor, then it can be hidden with a sealant. This radical way will reduce the cost of repairs.
STIHL ms 180 carburetor repair
How to repair a carburetor on a quiet Miz 180 chainsaw.
4) Chainsaw malfunction: After disassembling the carburetor, the chainsaw is difficult to start, white smoke appears from the chimney. Cause: When disassembling the carburetor, the spring is lost under the needle lever, as a result, the needle does not block the fuel supply, and the spark plug is “filled” with gasoline. Chainsaw Repair: Locate and place the spring under the needle arm in the chainsaw carburetor.
5) Chainsaw malfunction: The chainsaw doesn‘t start well, it doesn’t work well. Reason: “Pours in” the gasoline plug due to the sticking of the needle in the carburetor or a high-lifted rocker arm. Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: Rinse and blow out the carburetor, install the rocker correctly.
HOW TO. Carburetor & Fuel Line Repair on STIHL 017, MS170, 018, M180 Chainsaw Part 1/3
When to Adjust the Calm 180 Carburetor
First, you need to decide why you might need to tune and repair your STIHL ms 180 carburetor. So, you need to do this in the following cases:
- if the chainsaw is idle;
- If the saw does not start, repairs may be required;
- loss of strength;
- increased fuel consumption;
- the chainsaw does not reach its maximum speed.
- stalls at speed.
This list can be extended for a long time, but we have identified the main reasons. Before you start adjusting, you need to know which main carburetor parts on a chainsaw dampen the 180 and who makes them.
Dismantling a chainsaw
Before proceeding directly to disassembling the saw, you first need to clean it. All operations must be performed carefully and slowly. So that fasteners and small parts are not lost, you can use containers in which the structural elements are folded during disassembly. Disassembly begins by loosening the screws holding the clutch cover, after which the chain tension is released. Only after that the bolts are completely unscrewed. Then the clutch pad, tire and the chain itself are removed. The next step is to remove the top case cover. Using a brush and compressed air, the pinion drive unit is cleaned. usually this is the most contaminated area. It is most convenient to wash places in oil leaks with gasoline.
The stages of disassembly of the device occur in the following order:
- Removable vibration handle. It is fixed to the saw body on three shock absorbers. To remove it, you will need to remove the plugs, then, using a screwdriver, squeeze out the shock absorbers, starting from the one located farthest in relation to the handle. Then unscrew the two screws and disassemble the handle. The throttle trigger can now be removed by disconnecting the wire rod.
- The starter is removed. Removing the top cap will allow access to the oil and fuel tank plugs. After removing the plugs, the starter is removed. The place where the starter is installed is thoroughly cleaned of sawdust.
- The flywheel is released. In order to remove it from its seat, you will need to use a union head with a size 13. Initially, the candle is unscrewed, the piston is blocked through the hole formed. Having loosened the nut, a punch is installed on it, on which a sharp blow is made. From this action, the flywheel jumps off the shaft, after which it can be easily removed by hand.
- The clutch and the oil pump drive are dismantled. The drive sprocket and needle bearing are removed first. For this, the lock washer is removed. Using a size 19 head, unscrew the bolts that hold the clutch. It should be noted that the thread on it is left-handed. Having dismantled the clutch, the baffle plate and the oil supply drive are removed.
- At the penultimate stage, the carburetor with a muffler and the ignition coil are removed. In order to remove the carburetor, you will need a head 8 and an extension. Before removing the air filter and carburetor, you will need to disconnect the ignition wire and disconnect the air damper. The muffler is held by two nuts that can be easily unscrewed.
- The engine is removed. Turning the saw body over, unscrew the four screws holding the motor. Then, with a gentle movement, it is removed from the installation site.
The engine itself is easy to disassemble. First, four screws are unscrewed and the crater is removed. Next, the crankshaft is removed along with the oil seals and other elements. Removal of the piston from the connecting rod occurs after removing the retaining ring and squeezing the piston pin.
The principle of operation of membrane and float carburetors is the same. The difference is that older carburetors used a float instead of a membrane. It is a sealed lightweight container made of copper alloy with a steel axis in the center. The lower part of the axle fits into the bushing at the bottom of the chamber and serves to hold the float. The upper is made in the form of a needle.
The floats failed due to loss of tightness and oxides in the channel when the needle began to get stuck in it.
How To Clean The Carburetor On A Stihl Chainsaw (MS180C) with Taryl
The diaphragm carburetor is best suited for chainsaws. The principle of operation itself has remained unchanged for more than half a century, but the quality of these devices is constantly improving. They become lighter, more compact, and form a better fuel mixture. As a result, the internal combustion engines of chainsaws with modern carburetors consume less fuel and emit less harmful exhaust gases into the atmosphere.
The STIHL 180 chainsaw (aka STIHL MS 180) is the most popular and recognizable model of the German brand. This chainsaw is simple and reliable in operation. The only component that requires close attention is the carburetor. This article will discuss carburetor adjustment, repair and maintenance.
Advantages and disadvantages
Zama carburettors are very reliable and easy to operate. Specifically, a carburetor is installed on the STIHL 180 chainsaw, on which there are no screws for adjusting the quality and amount of the mixture, as we are used to. One screw greatly simplifies adjustment.
The diaphragm carburetor has no significant drawbacks. With such a carburetor, the chainsaw works in any position. For side sawing, vertical, etc.
Despite the aforementioned advantages, the carburetor is sensitive to fuel quality. In addition to clean air from the air filter, the carburetor needs to be supplied with clean fuel from the gas tank. But this is not always possible, therefore, at least once every six months, it must be cleaned and blown through.
The adjusting screws for the highest and lowest speed should be moved clockwise until the highest resistance is encountered. When the screws reach the stop, you need to move them in the opposite direction and leave them after 1.5 turns.
Carburetor Calm 180
Yes, the STIHL ms 180 carburetor is designed and manufactured by STIHL subsidiary Zama. Genuine carburetors have a branded logo on the body to ensure product quality.
The fuel pump is installed directly in the carburetor body, which operates under the influence of an air pulse from the crankcase of the chainsaw, which is transmitted through special channels. The pump is equipped with a diaphragm, and it is responsible for pumping fuel under the influence of an impulse. A gasket is installed between the diaphragm and the body, which is responsible for the tightness of the fuel pump.
The distribution chamber, like the fuel pump, also has a diaphragm that opens and regulates the fuel flow by pushing a special swing while lifting the needle valve.
Camera cover. compensator body, which is attached to the carburetor with four screws; a gasket is installed between the body and the lid, which increases the height of the chamber and is responsible for tightness.
The fuel injector is installed in the carburetor body so that it is a connecting link between the distribution chamber and the cavity in which the throttle valve is installed. Simultaneously with the fuel, air is supplied to the nozzle and an air mixture is formed. The nozzle has a check valve that blocks the air flow in the reverse sequence, that is, from the throttle chamber to the distribution chamber.
The throttle is installed in the carburetor body and is responsible for increasing the flow of the fuel mixture directly into the engine cylinder. At the moment of pressing the gas, the throttle valve opens slightly, thereby increasing the throughput of the channel, and fuel from the carburetor cavity more enters the cylinder.
Burning more fuel increases the amount of energy produced, which affects the power and speed of the processes. The damper is mounted on a shaft that runs through the entire carburetor body. At the exit of the shaft from the housing there is a fastener for a gas cable, next to it there is a conical adjusting screw, which is responsible for adjusting the idle speed. By tightening the screw, you can slightly adjust the position of the shaft and sash by increasing or decreasing the idle speed, slightly opening or turning the sash.
Frequent damage to a quiet carburetor and how to avoid it
A common cause of a quiet chainsaw carburetor malfunction is a stuck valve in the injector. The cause of sticking is a violation of the storage of the chainsaw, more precisely, the instructions of the Calm 180 manufacturer for proper preparation for storage.
According to the instructions, before long-term storage, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the saw and burn the gas from the carburetor. Failure to comply with this elementary rule has the following consequences. The forsk valve, in direct contact with the fuel, sticks to the body, as the gasoline gradually evaporates and only sticky oil remains. The injectors cannot be replaced because they are not included in the repair kit, you can only try to knock them out and rinse, which is not always possible without destroying the injector.
In cases where you need to clean the Shtil 180 carburetor or disassemble it, you must first remove the car from the chainsaw. This should be done in accordance with a certain algorithm of action:
- Attach the protective cover of the chainsaw to the tire.
- Remove the top cover of the chainsaw.
- Remove the two nuts that secure the air filter and carburetor.
- Remove the air filter housing.
- Disconnect the wire from the engine control arm.
- Carefully remove the lever from the seat in the housing by disconnecting the choke rod from it.
- Pull the carburetor towards you and disconnect the fuel line and throttle.
To facilitate disassembly, you can additionally unscrew the rear handle and first disconnect the plug from it, and then only from the carburetor. This may be necessary because, without experience in removing the thrust from the carburetor, it is quite problematic and it is easier to disassemble the handle first.
Replace the blank in the reverse order of the algorithm.
Extreme care should be taken when removing and installing the chainsaw control lever, as the seat on the saw body is the saw’s weak link, and very often inexperienced users break it.